blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2217894 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: June 26, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

Can anyone here think of a more interesting time in British politics than this week? I guess Thatcher becoming PM in 1979 was probably quite seismic at the time.

3 day week 70s thru to early 80s was a period of great turmoil and a time of genuine existential threat (always wanted to get existential into a line as it's so de rigeur these days)

However, this kinda dwarves it in many levels - there was a bit more black and white at that time with choices to be made that were quite clear - left and right. Now, only the vote itself is black and white - the rest is pretty murky, real new territory kinda stuff

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: June 26, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »

Can anyone here think of a more interesting time in British politics than this week? I guess Thatcher becoming PM in 1979 was probably quite seismic at the time.
Thatcher going and end of ERM was dramatic 1990-92 then Kinnock Sheffield rally but nothing close to compares to this

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: June 26, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »

I got 2 numbers on the lottery last night which is pretty close to 3 or more. I would like to call for a redraw until I win. Cheers.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: June 26, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

well u do get a redraw for 2 numbers dont u ......cant say u will win tho  Smiley

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: June 26, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »

One thing we can all agree on, as we all have an interest in politics is this is amazing stuff.

This thread is a cracking read and Tighty should take great credit for the time he spends posting news and views.

Its a must read thread every day, but its turned into must read every hour currently.

Agree with this, great stuff from Tighty, and many others.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:37 PM »

With all the potential blocks, potential general election & possible re-negotiations, what is the actual chance of us leaving? Looks 50/50, regardless of the vote
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: June 26, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »

One thing we can all agree on, as we all have an interest in politics is this is amazing stuff.

This thread is a cracking read and Tighty should take great credit for the time he spends posting news and views.

Its a must read thread every day, but its turned into must read every hour currently.

Agree with this, great stuff from Tighty, and many others.

Very much this, as a non Twitterer it's been great to read the Tweets and links posted by Rich and others and some interesting points made by the guys here too.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: June 26, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »

With all the potential blocks, potential general election & possible re-negotiations, what is the actual chance of us leaving? Looks 50/50, regardless of the vote

I'm thinking stay is favourite atm. It's terrible if the vote is ignored but surely better than the alternative. DC and the politics of doing absolutely anything to be electable have a lot to answer for. Apparently JC is still the main news though.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3848 on: June 26, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »

As I understand it, the leave voters won the right to advise the government to trigger article 50, nothing else.

The older I get, the better I was.
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: June 26, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »

Never hear anybody talking about politics, now everywhere I go I can hear people discussing it, a subject people never would have thought to bring up pre-referendum. Its the best thing that ever happened to politics in this country and if they fail to honour all they will do is prove ppl were right to not give a shit. Even if the results turn sour then everyone has learned the result of not participating, neglecting parts of the electorate and how not to run an election. For years in this coutry labour/tory have done little more than tear strips off eachother instead of offering credible positives. We are seeing the results of this today, the only politicians actions are self-serving, fingerpointing and totally undemocratic. They really dont care people have spoken, they are in politician mode and making sure someone else is blamed and they arent the ones answering questions. Hilarious remain supporters crying about the working class destroying stuff when theyve totally ignored their plight for years. I dont think anyone calling for the vote to be nullified has any idea of the public backlash it will have.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: June 26, 2016, 06:31:08 PM »

As I understand it, the leave voters won the right to advise the government to trigger article 50, nothing else.

True dat, the people won the right to advise the MPs that work for them what their desires are.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: June 26, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »

Never hear anybody talking about politics, now everywhere I go I can hear people discussing it, a subject people never would have thought to bring up pre-referendum. Its the best thing that ever happened to politics in this country and if they fail to honour all they will do is prove ppl were right to not give a shit. Even if the results turn sour then everyone has learned the result of not participating, neglecting parts of the electorate and how not to run an election. For years in this coutry labour/tory have done little more than tear strips off eachother instead of offering credible positives. We are seeing the results of this today, the only politicians actions are self-serving, fingerpointing and totally undemocratic. They really dont care people have spoken, they are in politician mode and making sure someone else is blamed and they arent the ones answering questions. Hilarious remain supporters crying about the working class destroying stuff when theyve totally ignored their plight for years. I dont think anyone calling for the vote to be nullified has any idea of the public backlash it will have.

You are right ideologically but what choice do they have? Cameron's desperate incompetence can't be allowed to destroy a nation just to protect democracy. Even though it's massively important to protect it, there have to be limits.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:41 PM »

2x lols

1. Jeremy Corbyn, just lol

2. People expressing a minority view as the 'correct view' we must act on, lololol

bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: June 26, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »

Agree totally. Fascinating stuff he puts up.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: June 26, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »

It is great that people who have been generally marginalised from politics are talking about these issues and I agree if the vote is nullified it will have a huge backlash. I do tend to think there are things the general public should vote on and things they probably shouldn't be voting on. I have been studying politics amongst other things in the last couple of years and looked into the EU issue in quite some depth and I couldn't decide what the correct vote would be. While some people will have voted and have had extremely valid points which swayed their vote, just how many will have voted for the most idiotic reasons which had no grounding in reality?

The whole issue of whether to stay or leave the EU is such an extremely complex issue which will have profound implications for the UK/EU/World for many years to come. I don't feel comfortable leaving such decisions to 'Jack & Jill' who might have been taken in by a compelling extremist 'Britain's First' post on Facebook but have no clue about politics or economics etc. In the same way I wouldn't want a referendum of the general population to decide the best way to carry out a triple heart bypass if I needed one, I would want a qualified surgeon to decide, I don't think the general public were the best way to weigh up the deep implications of EU membership. This should have IMO been considered by experts in the field with no ulterior motives. How you would bring together a group of people considered experts who have no ulterior motives to decide on this issue would be another matter altogether, politicians seem to have ruled themselves out due to their self serving biases...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:52:42 PM by Marky_Crash » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: