blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2200305 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: August 06, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »

Yeah thats a fair point and as far as I've read this is in line with accepted wisdom. Seems to make sense for lots of reasons.

I think it was this bit that kind of discredited everything that came after

The guy interviewed was super positive in his outlook and was bemoaning the constant negativity, especially in press/social media/TV.

Made him sound like one of this lot

It is fairly hard to be positive when all the indicators say the outlook is negative.   These are just feedback loops.  

Brexit causes uncertainty; so companies become cautious, causing growth to slow; causing people in business to become negative; then the population becomes negative; then we have a recession.  

It was pretty much very likely to play out this way, though I am pretty shocked the brexitters seem to have walked away like they have.

That is all before any practicalities of trade/laws/relationships with other countries/their citizens have been resolved.

There was a small chance that we would all rise up and be proud and cause a growth spurt, but guess that isn't happening now.

Fwiw.  Had an interview the other week.  Cancelled, company has stopped hiring.  Though I would say there is more jobs around than I expected, though likely not as many as before brexit.

One thing is for certain, if we turn into a bunch of doom and gloom moanbags then we are definitely heading for recession.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: August 06, 2016, 02:11:11 PM »

Maybe Thersa May should use that line in her next speech

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: August 06, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »

Maybe Thersa May should use that line in her next speech

Judging by the polls May could call the electorate morons and still have a healthy lead as long as Corbyn is the alternative.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: August 06, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »

Yeah thats a fair point and as far as I've read this is in line with accepted wisdom. Seems to make sense for lots of reasons.

The guy interviewed was super positive in his outlook and was bemoaning the constant negativity, especially in press/social media/TV.

It is fairly hard to be positive when all the indicators say the outlook is negative.   These are just feedback loops.  

Brexit causes uncertainty; so companies become cautious, causing growth to slow; causing people in business to become negative; then the population becomes negative; then we have a recession.  

It was pretty much very likely to play out this way, though I am pretty shocked the brexitters seem to have walked away like they have.

That is all before any practicalities of trade/laws/relationships with other countries/their citizens have been resolved.

There was a small chance that we would all rise up and be proud and cause a growth spurt, but guess that isn't happening now.

Fwiw.  Had an interview the other week.  Cancelled, company has stopped hiring.  Though I would say there is more jobs around than I expected, though likely not as many as before brexit.

One thing is for certain, if we turn into a bunch of doom and gloom moanbags then we are definitely heading for recession.

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: August 06, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »

Come on doubleup you've really been pushing troll status the last couple of weeks

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: August 06, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »

Says number one moanbag...
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: August 06, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »

Come on doubleup you've really been pushing troll status the last couple of weeks

Trollimpics going on here for sure.  The old master faces off against the new kid on the block. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: August 06, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »

Trollimpics going on here for sure.  The old master faces off against the new kid on the block. 

Cheesy

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: August 07, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »

Betfair punters now make it a 76% chance that Article 50 won't be invoked, if at all, until after July 1 2017

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: August 07, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth

It will be 6 months before we have a clearer picture of what Brexit actually looks like, one senior figure tells me

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/opinion/james-forsyth/1561622/early-election-would-be-a-real-disaster-for-theresa-may-despite-10-point-tory-lead-in-the-polls/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: August 07, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

Leaked Labour report says activists "do not accept the areas they work in are rural".

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/08/exclusive-jeremy-corbyn-accused-ignoring-leaked-report-labours-rural-problem

My eyes are open wide
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: August 07, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »

Betfair punters now make it a 76% chance that Article 50 won't be invoked, if at all, until after July 1 2017
Remain now trading at 1.3 implying a 76% chance, Leave now just a 24% chance.

£45.3m traded - biggest political market in Betfair history

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5592 on: August 07, 2016, 12:00:18 PM »

French and German elections are not until 2017 so no point invoking until after then.

My guess would be late 2018 so that it won't activate till after the end of the European budget process in 2020 and after the uk election in 2020 with the winning party able to quit the process if the vote went against the brexit parties.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: August 07, 2016, 12:05:55 PM »

French and German elections are not until 2017 so no point invoking until after then.

My guess would be late 2018 so that it won't activate till after the end of the European budget process in 2020 and after the uk election in 2020 with the winning party able to quit the process if the vote went against the brexit parties.

I thought it couldn't be cancelled once it started (?)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: August 07, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »

Legally it seems a bit up in the air still

http://theconversation.com/once-the-uk-triggers-article-50-to-start-brexit-can-it-turn-back-61727

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 372 [373] 374 375 376 377 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: