blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 476 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 484 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199050 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: January 27, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: January 27, 2017, 11:21:51 AM »

Why the Liberal Democrats love Brexit and Labour hate it: column in this week's NS:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/01/far-brexit-concerned-liberal-democrats-have-one-big-advantage-over-labour-they

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »

good explainer article

Why has Jeremy Corbyn committed Labour to voting for Article 50?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/01/why-has-jeremy-corbyn-committed-labour-voting-article-50

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: January 27, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »

Labour MP Tulip Siddiq resigns from frontbench over article 50 vote

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/26/labour-mp-tulip-siddiq-resigns-from-frontbench-over-article-50-vote?CMP=twt_gu

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/01/shadow-minister-tulip-siddiq-quits-over-article-50-vote-i-have-no-choice

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: January 27, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »

Only 25% of the people who voted Labour in 2015 now think that Labour has the best policy on Brexit

http://ln.is/cloudfront.net/OnrPd

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: January 27, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »

deconstructs Theresa May's speech to the Republican GOP yesterday

big changes to foreign policy

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/01/theresa-mays-philadelphia-speech-sets-british-foreign-policy-new

My eyes are open wide
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: January 27, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

The Scottish Parliament isn't allowed a say, which i suspect the government will be pleased about

And there is a very good reason for independence.

I voted out and still hold that view, I don't care for economics of it there is much more to life.

I would be quite happy out both unions.

The cleaner Brexit is, the harder the economic case for Scottish independence becomes.

Leave UK single market, 63% of exports, or EU one, 18%?

I have read and been told that Scotland exports much more to the EU than the figures we are given but because many of our exports head south before hiting the continent these figures are somewhat skewed.  

But again, we'd stll be trading with rUK.  I have no doubt about that.  

Got to be Honest, Nicola Sturgeon winds me up more than any other politician.

You might think my view is simplistic, but the Scottish people voted to stay part of the UK with all that brings - including a UK wide referendum on the EU. The UK as a whole voted to leave the EU. Sturgeon seems happy to ignore this fundamental point.

Her threats seem more and more meaningless to me. The hand she is holding is very weak.

She could push for another vote on independence - but she's highly likely to lose it. The drop in oil prices has screwed over Scotland's finances.

She dgaf what you think.  What she is saying isn't for your consumption.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: January 27, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »

The Scottish Parliament isn't allowed a say, which i suspect the government will be pleased about

And there is a very good reason for independence.

I voted out and still hold that view, I don't care for economics of it there is much more to life.

I would be quite happy out both unions.

The cleaner Brexit is, the harder the economic case for Scottish independence becomes.

Leave UK single market, 63% of exports, or EU one, 18%?

I have read and been told that Scotland exports much more to the EU than the figures we are given but because many of our exports head south before hiting the continent these figures are somewhat skewed.  

But again, we'd stll be trading with rUK.  I have no doubt about that.  

Got to be Honest, Nicola Sturgeon winds me up more than any other politician.

You might think my view is simplistic, but the Scottish people voted to stay part of the UK with all that brings - including a UK wide referendum on the EU. The UK as a whole voted to leave the EU. Sturgeon seems happy to ignore this fundamental point.

Her threats seem more and more meaningless to me. The hand she is holding is very weak.

She could push for another vote on independence - but she's highly likely to lose it. The drop in oil prices has screwed over Scotland's finances.

She dgaf what you think.  What she is saying isn't for your consumption.

Lets hope the Scottish people aren't stupid enough to fall for her BS then
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: January 27, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »

The new Administration shows it is on top of the detail, screwing up the name of the head of government of one of its principal allies:

You wouldn't want to mix up Theresa May MP, former banker and current Prime Minister, with Teresa May, star of Classroom Fantasy, Smack My Bitch Up and Shag, Gobble & Spunk, whichever of them you were looking for.

Theresa May MP, PM                                                   Teresa May, model
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:18:29 PM by MintTrav » Logged
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7194 on: January 27, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

Out of interest, why is British Nationalism frowned upon and Scottish Nationalism considered quite lefty?

My own interpretation is there is a (perceived) power dynamic there where the Scots are the oppressed and the Brits are the oppressors, but never thought of it beyond that.

No real issue either way my end, obviously the BNP are all dickheads and the SNP are nothing like them ideologically.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: January 27, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »

Labour MP Jo Stevens quits shadow cabinet over article 50 vote

Shadow secretary for Wales, who argued against Corbyn’s three-line whip on Brexit bill, says leaving the EU is ‘terrible mistake’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/27/labour-mp-jo-stevens-quits-shadow-cabinet-over-article-50-vote?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: January 27, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »

Out of interest, why is British Nationalism frowned upon and Scottish Nationalism considered quite lefty?

My own interpretation is there is a (perceived) power dynamic there where the Scots are the oppressed and the Brits are the oppressors, but never thought of it beyond that.

No real issue either way my end, obviously the BNP are all dickheads and the SNP are nothing like them ideologically.

Pretty much this I think it's the way it's perceived. 

British Nationalism has been hijacked over the years by the right.  It's the little Englander element or thuggish element who are ultra right wing. 

I would be all for English Nationalism if it was done for the right reasons. 

SNP for what it's worth are definitely not on the left.  Sturgeon probably is alongside a few others but there is an element of the SNP who are reactionary and would be classes as right of centre.  The Tartan Tory title given to the SNP over the years isn't too far from the truth. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: January 27, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »

you gov today

My eyes are open wide
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7198 on: January 27, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »

Pretty much this I think it's the way it's perceived. 

British Nationalism has been hijacked over the years by the right.  It's the little Englander element or thuggish element who are ultra right wing. 

I would be all for English Nationalism if it was done for the right reasons. 

SNP for what it's worth are definitely not on the left.  Sturgeon probably is alongside a few others but there is an element of the SNP who are reactionary and would be classes as right of centre.  The Tartan Tory title given to the SNP over the years isn't too far from the truth. 

There hasn't really ever been something like English nationalism which is similar to that in Scotland. Scottish nationalism is all about independence from the rest of Britain because, to a Scot, Scotland and Britain are two completely separate things.

Whereas to the English, English/British are two interchangeable terms as England is so dominant in the union. Scots want decisions made in Edinburgh instead of London. Decisions made in London are fine for the English already.

British nationalism was always just 'no blacks and indians' spouted by neo-Nazis/football hooligans. After the National Front and BNP got precisely nowhere, getting rejected again and again by the population, they stumbled upon two things that they thought could give them legitimacy.

The first was being anti-Islam, which they can campaign against under the banner of liberal things such as free-speech and gender/sexual equality (things Islam is not a fan of). The other was English nationalism along the same lines as the Scots (English-only parliament discussing English-only laws).

However, scratch the surface of any of these groups (Britain First, EDL) and you'll still find the same old racists and football hooligans.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7199 on: January 27, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »

and football hooligans.

That's always the litmus test for me where these things are concerned, you dont see many ex football hooligans going into politics for the tories/labour/lib dems/greens
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 484 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: