blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273126 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 494 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 502 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2234455 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7455 on: March 12, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »

Anyone know much about the Dutch election system? BetStars have PVV as the favourite to win the most seats next week, but the odds on their leader Geert Wilders to be Prime Minister are waaaaay longer. On BetStars the wording of a seperate bet is also 'Geert Wilders to become Prime Minister in 2017' rather than just 'to become Prime Minister'.

I'm guessing that means something like A) they tend to end up as coalitions and B) there is a lot of bureaucracy after the election to hand over power?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: March 12, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »

There was a poll before indyref1 thar showed 52% of Scots were going to vote yes in the end only 45% did. The 2nd poll shows why it will be hard for leave to win 45% (8-10) hardliners unionist is a huge starting block versus 38% (1-3) nationalist

If the first poll got it so wrong who's to say the second one isn't total tosh as well?

Have any polls actually got it right in recent times when it comes down to the bit that actually matters?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7457 on: March 12, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

Anyone know much about the Dutch election system? BetStars have PVV as the favourite to win the most seats next week, but the odds on their leader Geert Wilders to be Prime Minister are waaaaay longer. On BetStars the wording of a seperate bet is also 'Geert Wilders to become Prime Minister in 2017' rather than just 'to become Prime Minister'.

I'm guessing that means something like A) they tend to end up as coalitions and B) there is a lot of bureaucracy after the election to hand over power?

Yeah I was spot on, answered my own question, from the New Yorker

The second and more significant point is that, even if he were to win more votes than the other candidates, it’s unlikely that Wilders would become Prime Minister. The Dutch system has about a dozen political parties. Almost never does one party win an outright majority. (The last time was in 1891.) To govern, a party with a plurality of votes must pull others into a coalition, and ever since Wilders’s rise the other major parties have publicly declared that they would never form a government with him. Prime Minister Mark Rutte, who is seeking reëlection, said last month that there was a “zero per cent” chance that his V.V.D. party would link up with Wilders. Should Wilders win a plurality of votes but be unable to find other parties willing to govern with him, there would likely be a long period, perhaps months, in which specially appointed “informateurs” and “scouts” would try to cajole party leaders toward a coalition. If the other parties continue to honor their pledge to ice out Wilders, he would remain on the sidelines.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: March 12, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »

There was a poll before indyref1 thar showed 52% of Scots were going to vote yes in the end only 45% did. The 2nd poll shows why it will be hard for leave to win 45% (8-10) hardliners unionist is a huge starting block versus 38% (1-3) nationalist

If the first poll got it so wrong who's to say the second one isn't total tosh as well?

Have any polls actually got it right in recent times when it comes down to the bit that actually matters?

indyref was wider than predicted
uk election predicted hung parliament
brexit predicted remain
USA predicted clinton by a country mile

polls havent got many of the big thing right recently

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7459 on: March 12, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »

brexit predicted remain

I disagree, if you look at the polls and their margin of error rather than the inaccurate analysis of the polls at the time then they were ok.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: March 12, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »

The paradox of indyref 2 is that a hard brexit, although increasing anger, will actually greatly weaken any case for independence.  Hard brexit would mean tariffs on cross border trade if Scotland rejoined the EU.  So it would be very difficult to make the "we are separating to rejoin the EU" argument.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: March 12, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »

brexit predicted remain

I disagree, if you look at the polls and their margin of error rather than the inaccurate analysis of the polls at the time then they were ok.

Yeah this.  Clinton was 3-4% up in the polls, won by 2%. 

A week before Brexit, the majority of polls were pro Brexit (and it was a big majority).  Jo Cox's death changed that, but even then they started swinging back to Brexit.  Think it was 4-2 remain vs leave in the last 6 polls the day before.  End result was 51.7, so pretty damn close?  (Can't remember the exact).  Think it was just such a shock as many just didn't believe they could lose even in much of the campaigning was half arsed and it was clear mamy were taken in by the bullshit.

Indyref remain was the result in 90% of polls?  Sure there are going to be the odd outliers.

Uk election was a tory win in most polls again.  I can't remember the exact numbers, but I don't think the Tory vote was out by much, maybe 2-3%.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: March 13, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »

watching the sundays, Peston and Marr etc....a bit of a car crash!

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: March 13, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »

Article 50 may be triggered this week.

Here's why the EU then takes back control. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/01/2017-other-eu-states-will-take-back-control-brexit

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: March 13, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »

The Conservatives are 11 points ahead of Labour among working class voters:

38% to 27% (YouGov/Times 8-9 March)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »

OmNICshambles: how it all went wrong for 'spreadsheet Phil' Hammond

Chancellor’s allies say tax rise for self-employed makes system fairer but it was the politics, not economics, that mattered

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/11/omnicshambles-how-it-all-went-wrong-for-spreadsheet-phil-hammond?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: March 13, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »

this has no significance whtsoever,but the anecdote did make me chuckle

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: March 13, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »

no Brexit deal is either "bad" "not apocalyptic" or "ok" depending to which of threeebrexiteers you listened to yesterday

reverting to WTO trade terms means

(for hard core readers)  The Product and Sector Level Impact of a Hard Brexit across the EU. http://www.esri.ie/pubs/WP550.pdf

(for skimmers) Bottom line: UK biggest loser with whopping 9.8% of trade lost, Ireland next with 4.17%, average rest-EU 2%; France 1.56%, Germany 2.54%

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: March 13, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »

oh yes, had to post this

as we all know Ms Davidson is a formidable politician about the lead the Conservatives to previously unknown glories noth of the border

"Is this why Nicola Sturgeon wants a second independence referendum, asks Fraser Nelson

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/might-nicola-sturgeons-sinking-approval-ratings-explain-appetite-referendum/ "

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: March 13, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »

and for balance

"Scotland is heading for a second independence poll. Is a Yes vote any more likely?"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/12/scotland-second-referendum-brexit-could-it-backfire?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 502 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: