blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273126 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2234392 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: June 24, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »

FTSE bouncing back already.  Dollar back to 1.38 already.  Business as usual.

It feels like Remainers actually want something bad to happen, just to give us the old told you so routine.

Lets just get along and get along

One good thing to come out of this.   Arbboy and Adz have kissed and made up.   disco

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: June 24, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »

It feels like Remainers actually want something bad to happen, just to give us the old told you so routine.

One good thing to come out of this.   Arbboy and Adz have kissed and made up.   disco

It's like one of those sports films where 2 veteran adversaries realise if they work together they can make something special happen for the team.  Throw in some uplifting music and it's moving stuff. Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: June 24, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »

no this is artificial .BOE liquidity support. Way too early to tell if this is a hard or soft transition

Tighty,

I can see how the BOE could support sterling but they cant support share prices with inventions.

Yes, the sterling and bond markets are supported, and the "confidence" this engenders in GB assets supports equities

Back in the old days when i was in the industry, the traders would get word that Cazenove, say, were in the market operating for the BOE and these days when that happens shorts get squeezed as it becomes more difficult to stand in the way of asset support when so much of the trading flow is speculative/short term

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: June 24, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »

Anyone getting sick of listening to this 'the kids knew 73% voted remain, the baby boomers have ruined it for the future etc'.  Since when has the youth of today suddenly been so clued up about since big decisions that they have got it right and everyone else who is more experienced in life has got it so badly wrong?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:03:14 PM by arbboy » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: June 24, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »

Anyone getting sick of listening to this 'the kids knew 73% voted remain etc'.  Since when has the youth of today suddenly been so clued up about since big decisions that they have got it right and everyone else who is more experienced in life has got it so badly wrong?

it just reflects that by and large they are optimistic, multi-cultural, inclusive..only ever known the eu, broad based immigration etc. so likely to vote remain

it just so happens that there is a big contrast under 30s and over 60s, in part borne of life experiences broadly (suppression of wage growth, changed industries due to globalisation, changed communities etc etc)  as some older voters hark back to a different time

and a bigger set of voters seem to be cynical about elites, politics etc...a cynicism (possibly correct) and scepticism (certainly widespread) which the young voters (generalising) don't have yet

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: June 24, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »

Anyone getting sick of listening to this 'the kids knew 73% voted remain etc'.  Since when has the youth of today suddenly been so clued up about since big decisions that they have got it right and everyone else who is more experienced in life has got it so badly wrong?

Yep.  Especially when some people seemingly want to abolish one person one vote because remain lost.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3471 on: June 24, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »

It's like one of those sports films where 2 veteran adversaries realise if they work together they can make something special happen for the team.  Throw in some uplifting music and it's moving stuff. Smiley

lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: June 24, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »

Anyone getting sick of listening to this 'the kids knew 73% voted remain, the baby boomers have ruined it for the future etc'.  Since when has the youth of today suddenly been so clued up about since big decisions that they have got it right and everyone else who is more experienced in life has got it so badly wrong?

As a "young" person I would like to chime in. Quite clearly the vote was very close and the nation has been divided. The single thing that annoys me about this whole campaign is that such a gross proportion of people that voted "leave" don't know what they are voting for. Nobody has a fucking clue what is going on at the moment, there is just lots of skepticism.

In response to what I have said above, I think the smarter vote is to remain because of the uncertainty. That is literally the only reason I would vote remain, I cannot distinguish the bullshit and propaganda from the truth among the campaigning so it feels way too risky to change something so great, especially when there is no immediate threat in our country.

When I woke up this morning, I hoped for terrible things to happen in the future just so I can say "told you so", but I don't think the public that voted leave is at fault at all. People are quite compassionate about their own country (rightly so) and feel the need to stand up for themselves in some way.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: June 24, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »

I am surprised there seems to be so little "leave" contingency planning by the govt

the FT

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: June 24, 2016, 05:13:48 PM »

this is a controversial one. think many on the left would disagree with this, saying it was an anti establishment vote not a pro ukip vote?

A new home for Old Labour — with the Tory right http://specc.ie/293TMZZ

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: June 24, 2016, 05:14:37 PM »

Brexit is the stuff of nightmares - removing Jeremy Corbyn won't help says this article

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/06/brexit-stuff-nightmares-removing-jeremy-corbyn-wont-help

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: June 24, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »

you wouldn't expect the economist to be positive

have a stiff drink handy for this one

"Giant, nation-changing misstep...to scar the country for decades," Cameron "leaves office in ignominy."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/2016/06/prime-minister-resigns

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: June 24, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »

i had to laugh

Victoria Derbyshire was doing a voter voxpop from Manchester this morning..how did people vote, and why etc etc

A Leave voter on the programme: "I thought remain would win. I didn't think my vote would mean anything. I'm quite worried now."

there is a fun one from heathrow where a lady is interviewed on channel five too. if i find it i will put it up

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: June 24, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »

this is another FT one

probably get derided by some but here it is

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: June 24, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »

Divided Britain: how the EU referendum exposed Britain’s new culture war.

hampstead v hull is the theme of this one

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/divided-britain-how-referendum-exposed-britains-culture-war

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: