blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 1323 1324 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2181030 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19785 on: August 15, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »

Quite telling that Jo Swinson in the Wollaston Press con refused to answer whether it would be worse to have Corbyn in Number 10, or a no-deal Brexit.

Rather suggests this is dead in the water

JC "I've written to the leaders of other political parties and senior backbenchers from across Parliament to lay out my plan to stop a disastrous No Deal Brexit and let the people decide the future of our country."

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19786 on: August 15, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »

Mark Sedwill letter to Jeremy Corbyn  on impact of possible election on Brexit

I thought that the words "and parliament" were the most interesting part of this

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19787 on: August 15, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »

Either these Labour MPs are playing politics, or they don’t understand how Corbyn is viewed by those outside of their tribute.

Tories, Lib Dems and centrists see him as a risk equal to - or greater than - no deal.

Any other mainstream Labour figure (Cooper say) and it’d be a different story.

Another accident of circumstance that makes it all such a mess

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19788 on: August 15, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »

so Sarah Wollaston says

"it should probably be none of the party leaders that head that temporary arrangement, if that’s where we get to. I think having a trusted figure that commands cross-party support would be much better"

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19789 on: August 15, 2019, 06:01:22 PM »

and Swinson replies to Corbyn as follows thereafter

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19790 on: August 15, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »

which just shows that the remain factions in parliament are far too split to act as a coherent voice

A GNU seems a long way away

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19791 on: August 15, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »

So i have been pondering to myself in the light of all this

Would I rather a Corbyn government (possibly temporary) or No deal?

At that particular point I opened my "too difficult" box and locked the padlock.

So i came to the conclusion that if I as a fervent "no no-deal-er" was struggling with it, then so would many others, and no deal was therefore pretty likely

Re-opens Padlocked box.

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #19792 on: August 15, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »

and Swinson replies to Corbyn as follows thereafter

The line “We are determined to do whatever it takes not only to stop “no deal” but stop Brexit” is basically saying fuck respecting the referendum and fuck the will of the people - we Lib Dem’s know best.

Pretty outrageous really. The referendum result was pointless if politicians are going to completely disregard it.

Difficult to have any respect for this “stop it at all costs” attitude which has been a factor in why we are where we are (along with the other stupid positions of ERG, Labour etc).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19793 on: August 15, 2019, 07:37:58 PM »

It's the fault of how the referendum question was put. It allowed hundreds of different versions of Brexit to coalesce into one "leave" box.

I don't believe the majority of leave voters wanted no deal when they voted.

However to deny that option if that is all there is left (now) obviously causes much consternation of ignoring direct democracy from those who want their vote respected etc

It's a mess.

My eyes are open wide
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19794 on: August 15, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »

So i have been pondering to myself in the light of all this

Would I rather a Corbyn government (possibly temporary) or No deal?

At that particular point I opened my "too difficult" box and locked the padlock.

So i came to the conclusion that if I as a fervent "no no-deal-er" was struggling with it, then so would many others, and no deal was therefore pretty likely

Re-opens Padlocked box.

I had the same dilemma and decided I didn't want to try and come up with an answer.

The reality is I desperately want neither.  Both are equally abhorrent options.

The problem with any form of temporary government with Corbyn in charge is that it legitimises his tolerance of anti-semitism in the party, among all the other faults.  Quite how you can put someone in as PM who's led the Labour Party to an ongoing EHRC investigation is beyond comprehension.

A 'unity government' needs to be as free from party allegiance as possible for it to be able to succeed, which to me means that it can't be led by any of the party leaders.  The Ken Clarke / Harriet Harman suggestion is the most logical one to me in being able to achieve that.

Additionally, the fact that there's been such an adverse reaction to the thought of Corbyn as a short-term PM doesn't bode well for the prospects of the electorate as a whole being inclined to vote him in during a GE.  If anything, the discussion seems to have crystallised many people's thoughts as to how repellant a prospect it would be.  Admittedly, I'm seeing a disproportionate amount of these views via my own Twitter echo chamber, which is largely free of the #NotACult population.

The frustrating thing is that everyone seems to be drawing lines around the formation of any temporary government, forgetting the fact that they have to win a VONC to reach that point.  That requires that they're unified in being prepared to pass it, beyond which they can start to worry about who can command confidence to run a government.  Corbyn can try to form one at that stage, which I suspect he'd be unable to do.  Whether anyone else is capable of doing so is open to question.

However, all of that is moot until such time as a VONC gets passed, and the rhetoric from all sides today doesn't offer much hope at the moment.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #19795 on: August 15, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »

The most enjoyable part of the Tory cabinet current posturing - solidarity, collective responsibility etc is that it makes the remain crowd look more than faintly ridiculous - all of them in favour of a GNU as long as it's their brand of unity.

Imagine being a remainer and you're represented by Corbyn, Sturgeon, Swinson, Lucas, and that bloke from Plaid

sola virtus nobilitat
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19796 on: August 15, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »

It's the fault of how the referendum question was put. It allowed hundreds of different versions of Brexit to coalesce into one "leave" box.

I don't believe the majority of leave voters wanted no deal when they voted.

However to deny that option if that is all there is left (now) obviously causes much consternation of ignoring direct democracy from those who want their vote respected etc

It's a mess.

It really wasn’t the fault of how the referendum question was put. It’s that conviction causing much problem here.

People were deeply dissatisfied with a broad range of principles this island nation isn’t aligned with. Those concerns would’ve been drawn together under any question. Personally I must’ve missed the Leave with a Deal box on the ballot, it just said Leave, that’s the mandate, not your guess at the mandate.

For sure we have the economic argument to remain but perhaps there’s hope because we enter a struggling world bargaining with attractive trade figures

The other option is to force remain, flick V’s at democracy, not guarantee economic prosperity but ensure for certain all those original concerns remain unsolved, all that dissatisfaction remains. So in fact less hope, less control, plus economic stagnation, oh and plus JCorbs in the saddle. I guarantee nobody voted for any of that.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19797 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »

You weren't voting to no deal that's for sure. As has been mentioned dozens of times it only emerged as a term in 2017 after the referendum, documented as such in analysis of search engines.

It would of course "be the easiest deal in history"

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19798 on: August 15, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »

I just voted Leave as per the question and the available options

Simply assumed business would take care of itself, still think that

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #19799 on: August 15, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »

You weren't voting to no deal that's for sure. As has been mentioned dozens of times it only emerged as a term in 2017 after the referendum, documented as such in analysis of search engines.

It would of course "be the easiest deal in history"

No deal was a derogatory construct invented to shift focus and obscure matters so it's not a surprise it emerged later. The reason we didn't debate leave with a deal ,with no deal or remain is because the choice was clear, leave all the institutions of the EU or remain in them.

The nature of any future trade arrangements were speculated on but were not questions we were asked so the referendum question was clear and the answer was clear. Old ground but the government pamphlet clearly made this clear choice we had to make, crystal clear at the time, clearly.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 1323 1324 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: