blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 1530 1531 [1532] 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180616 times)
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #22965 on: October 21, 2022, 11:23:31 AM »

truss wasn't the problem, per se.

i agreed with many of her policy ideas. fact remains that an 80 seat majority tory party couldnt get some modest tax cuts through without imploding. we had a lame duck prime minister hiding whilst being the figurehead for policies she neither proposed or agreed with.

the membership of the party is not instep with the MPs and the MPs are split.

i'm not calling for the suspension of democracy, there are checks and balances built into our constitution that allow for us to get some adults in charge.

we need an election, if the tories won't allow that then there should be civil unrest or the king steps in and refuses to call an unelected PM.

i hate both those options, but will back them to the hilt before i'd want this to continue.

odds of johnson being able to command a commons majority are slim and he still has a standards enquiry looming over him.

how many PMs, Home Secretaries, and Chancellors are we going to see over the next few months unless they are checked? Can they just do this endlessly?  lol its embarrassingly awful. proper bottom of the barrel scraping levels of shiteness.

Election has to be promised.

People did not vote for this.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22966 on: October 21, 2022, 11:24:10 AM »

I think Brexit completely broke the concept of consensus, collective responsibility, party loyalty etc. The Tory party is at least 2 parties, as is Labour and in this social media / media driven pantomime we all live in I think Starmzy, if in power, would probably have difficulties papering over the divides in Labour.

I do think the best thing now would be a slightly more polished and safer pair of hands with some senior cabinet experience (Sunak). All good if he is scrutinised and challenged by Labour but harder for them to paint him as an idiot and harder to resort to the purer ad hominem everyone engages in with Johnson and Truss. Yes, bang on about he's super rich but really, so what.

2 years to hopefully steady things a bit, 2 years for Labour to build their consensus and develop further (or fall apart if the left gets a bit antsy) and a decent philosophical choice between 2 parties in 2 years.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22967 on: October 21, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »

Having said that, hard to disagree with most of what Teddy says though I'm not sure there can be any legitimacy in King Chinless stepping in to agitate for change.

sola virtus nobilitat
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #22968 on: October 21, 2022, 11:47:47 AM »

this thread is currently hilarious in so many ways

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22969 on: October 21, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »

I might as well give it a shot...

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #22970 on: October 21, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »

this dude was praised for this interview:

all it boiled down to was being worried about being an ex MP "my collegues are wondering how they are going to pay their mortgages if this carries on"

clear as day.

i may support the tories if we have an election, depends on their manifesto - i have zilch idea what they stand for currently -  but its clear the parliamentary party needs trimming down and it needs to be the case that MPs  have 5ish years of job security so they can get on with implementing policies / supporting their leader without having to worry about optics and being unpopular.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #22971 on: October 21, 2022, 05:19:15 PM »

Not a chance I'd have considered voting for labour a month ago.

Now they have to be allowed a go at running the country

Its inconceivable that the Tories àre allowed to dispose of and reimpose Johnson over and over whilst being unable to decide on what path they want to take us down.

Really?
Because no matter what Starmer may think, or say, the party is as deeply enthralled to the unions as it was pre Blair. If you think inflation is getting out of control now, wait till you see what comes next.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #22972 on: October 21, 2022, 05:44:45 PM »

cannot be worse than this.

you talk about inflation: the tories announced uncapped energy payments, are now saying they don't want interests rates to rise, and their actions caused the BOE to turn on the printing presses again to buy up bonds.

you could not imagine 3 monetary policies more inclined to be inflationary.

*despite truss running on a ticket of opposing such a scheme, she implemented it, and then the new chancellor shortened it -  a whopping three different approaches within a month to its largest budget commitment,

they are not fit for office in their current form and cannot be allowed to impose another series of short term PMs, and the accompanying change of chancellor, home secretary etc that accompanies this.

its madness

it has to be put to the people. either they do it, the people force it, or the king calls for it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 05:46:40 PM by teddybloat » Logged
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #22973 on: October 21, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »

cannot be worse than this.

you talk about inflation: the tories announced uncapped energy payments, are now saying they don't want interests rates to rise, and their actions caused the BOE to turn on the printing presses again to buy up bonds.

you could not imagine 3 monetary policies more inclined to be inflationary.

*despite truss running on a ticket of opposing such a scheme, she implemented it, and then the new chancellor shortened it -  a whopping three different approaches within a month to its largest budget commitment,

they are not fit for office in their current form and cannot be allowed to impose another series of short term PMs, and the accompanying change of chancellor, home secretary etc that accompanies this.

its madness

it has to be put to the people. either they do it, the people force it, or the king calls for it.

But realistically none of those things are going to happen.

So what are you going to do?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #22974 on: October 21, 2022, 08:09:38 PM »

we will see.

one thing the left are very good at is mobilising boots on the ground, and they can do it quickly

they might not come out in force for starmer, but they sure as anything will against this lot.

i've hung up my bovver boots now, so i will likely fume and write letters to the times.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #22975 on: October 22, 2022, 01:00:45 AM »

this dude was praised for this interview:

all it boiled down to was being worried about being an ex MP "my collegues are wondering how they are going to pay their mortgages if this carries on"

clear as day.

i may support the tories if we have an election, depends on their manifesto - i have zilch idea what they stand for currently -  but its clear the parliamentary party needs trimming down and it needs to be the case that MPs  have 5ish years of job security so they can get on with implementing policies / supporting their leader without having to worry about optics and being unpopular.

Not angry enough to get the milk out again, though.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22976 on: October 22, 2022, 08:44:58 AM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #22977 on: October 23, 2022, 08:25:21 PM »

It’s time for the Conservative MPs to wake up and smell the coffee. One accepted candidate with a declared set of senior ministers lined up. A coalition of genuine Tory beliefs has to be put together over the weekend and a new leader/PM  confirmed by Tuesday.
Who? Fuck knows. Not Sunak though. Wallace seems sound.

Frankly, I have little faith in this mob who broke Hillaire Belloc’s rule when they let go of the hand of Nurse BoJo. But I have zero faith in the capabilities of Sir Keef Starmer and his ragtag band. Especially since the likelihood is that they will need the support of the LibDems.

Why not?
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #22978 on: October 23, 2022, 09:21:32 PM »

It’s time for the Conservative MPs to wake up and smell the coffee. One accepted candidate with a declared set of senior ministers lined up. A coalition of genuine Tory beliefs has to be put together over the weekend and a new leader/PM  confirmed by Tuesday.

Frankly, I have little faith in this mob who broke Hillaire Belloc’s rule when they let go of the hand of Nurse BoJo. But I have zero faith in the capabilities of Sir Keef Starmer and his ragtag band. Especially since the likelihood is that they will need the support of the LibDems.

Why not?

Boris bows out so sounds like Sunak is in tomorrow...

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #22979 on: October 25, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »

Why not?

Because he’s a snake oil salesman. A Tory version of Blair. Without the charm. Probably without the same level of luck too.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 ... 1528 1529 1530 1531 [1532] 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: