blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 218329 times)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 22, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »

Great to have this diary back. Please keep it going Dave

This. Keep the 6PLO stories coming please.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2019, 10:54:21 PM »

Great to have this diary back. Please keep it going Dave

+1

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 24, 2019, 01:49:05 AM »

Keep the 6PLO stories coming please.

Hmmm 6Card stories, it's kinda tough to think of any, I actually really dislike 6card PLO as a game, and have never really liked it. It's a really fun game when stacks are short, and if you're a short stack on a table with big stacks it can be insanely profitable. I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a big online PLO winner, he said that he believed if you had a 7 handed 6card PLO lineup with 25 50 blinds, 4 players have £50k and 3 players have ~£2k, then there is going to be seating positions for the £50k players where NO ONE IN THE WORLD could be +EV. I've thought about it - I'm not much of a poker player these days but I think he's right.

These games tend to start with everyone short and it's pretty good fun cos its so easy to just get it in, and short handed it's an environment where you actually get really punished for being nitty, however when it gets deep stacked it's actually kind of a horrible game and that shouldn't be the case for poker games, they should get more interesting as they get deeper.

I've seen some huge 6card PLO pots, one pot nearly £1m but obviously was a standard both had nut straight huge extension some sets, rainbow board and all the big pots tend to be like that, they always boring (unless you're in them) from a poker point of view.  I actually been enjoying NLHE these days, if games are deep stacked and aggro then gets so much fun.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 24, 2019, 10:22:33 PM »

I'm glad to see this diary back and I'm even more glad to see someone else doesn't like 6PLO!

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 27, 2019, 04:46:21 PM »

Good to see your diary back!

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 28, 2019, 05:52:39 AM »

Actually to be fair to 6 card plo, 5 handed or 4 handed I think it's a pretty awesome game, the biggest issues are stack sizes and how easy it is to cause absolute mayhem with short stacks, those issues a little less pertinent 5 handed and whereas it's not unusual games get a bit more fun when shorter handed 6 plo is like chalk and cheese between 7 and 5 handed imo, 6 handed I don't even consider short handed in that game.

It's also a mental test as much as anything else, if your head goes at 6 plo you can really do some damage, and one nice thing about the game is whoever you are if you play semi-frequently you are just GUARENTEED to take a bruising at some point, everyone no matter how good you are or how tight you play takes a hammering every so often in the 6 card streets. I've had a couple of decent headlosses at that game and Im pretty chilled in general when it comes to gambling!

Since getting a lot worse at poker than i was in 2014/15 when i played full time, I find it so much more enjoyable now, now that I'm not really expected to win playing is a LOT more fun, losing doesn't tilt me at all and winning is a nice buzz, and I know there are spots where I go favourite over people who are better poker players than me too which I also enjoy a lot because I can see those spots and I don't think the other people can Tongue

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »

Thank you.

I was starting to think it was just me with everyone having a downer on 5/6O but I love it (and all DC games) for exactly the reasons you outline. As a rec I love the maths, the thinking, the variance and the fact I'm either going to win or lose big, but I'll never be bored. Plus the banter and craic is always worth the entry fee when compared to personality-free oxygen thiefs who play nlhe at the levels I can afford.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 12, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »

been back a few days, feeling quite depressed about being back in london truth be told, trying to remind myself not to be an entitled little bitch and to thank my stars I was lucky enough to spend 6 weeks swimming, drinking, eating and being looked after by an army of endlessly accommodating thai ladies...and to make my own breakfast Smiley

Foray into golf been a real challenge, obviously finding it incredibly hard, any tips would go down great.

Back to work i guess!

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 12, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »

been back a few days, feeling quite depressed about being back in london truth be told, trying to remind myself not to be an entitled little bitch and to thank my stars I was lucky enough to spend 6 weeks swimming, drinking, eating and being looked after by an army of endlessly accommodating thai ladies...and to make my own breakfast Smiley

Foray into golf been a real challenge, obviously finding it incredibly hard, any tips would go down great.

Back to work i guess!

Hi David, I'll try and steer you in the right direction for golf.

Find the nearest golf club to where you live or driving range if that is more convenient and book yourself some lessons, most pros will offer six lessons for the price of five or something similar. Make sure that he's a good teaching pro by doing a little research, although most are decent. Then you'll have to practice either on the range or the golf club's practice area if that is included in your lesson deal. You'll need to practice several times in between each lesson to reap the maximum benefit from them, but slowly and surely you will improve and that improvement will spur you on if you're serious which I feel that you are.

Unfortunately there is no short-cut to becoming a reasonably proficient golfer, but if you've got the bug which it sound as though you have, you'll persevere.

Good luck.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 13, 2019, 01:10:56 AM »

Grip it and rip it
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 13, 2019, 07:58:32 AM »

Thank you.

I was starting to think it was just me with everyone having a downer on 5/6O but I love it (and all DC games) for exactly the reasons you outline. As a rec I love the maths, the thinking, the variance and the fact I'm either going to win or lose big, but I'll never be bored. Plus the banter and craic is always worth the entry fee when compared to personality-free oxygen thiefs who play nlhe at the levels I can afford.

Yeh, definitely, in theory 6card should be less gambling than 4card, but this is theory, not practice and every poker game is different - it just depends on what the vibe of the players is at the time, if 7 aggro guys wanna play 100bb+ deep and all happy swinging about and battling, NLHE or 4card PLO is probably the best game for those guys. If it's a mix of players, some kinda passive, some kind of aggro then sure 6card could defo be the right choice. I'm a poker enthusiast at heart, if I had to pick my ideal poker game it would be in a 6handed 4card game, 200bb stacks where everyone goes to war, but I can enjoy virtually any type of poker game as long as the company is right and the stakes have enough of a bite to them, no-one is taking it too seriously and people aren't evidently gambling too high and getting upset about losing.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:07 AM »

Back to work i guess!

Hi David, I'll try and steer you in the right direction for golf.

Find the nearest golf club to where you live or driving range if that is more convenient and book yourself some lessons, most pros will offer six lessons for the price of five or something similar. Make sure that he's a good teaching pro by doing a little research, although most are decent. Then you'll have to practice either on the range or the golf club's practice area if that is included in your lesson deal. You'll need to practice several times in between each lesson to reap the maximum benefit from them, but slowly and surely you will improve and that improvement will spur you on if you're serious which I feel that you are.

Unfortunately there is no short-cut to becoming a reasonably proficient golfer, but if you've got the bug which it sound as though you have, you'll persevere.

Good luck.

Hey mate, amazing thanks Smiley

I'm one step ahead of you on the lesson front, found a good coach who i get on with really well, currently working on a Lesson /2x range sessions / ratio and just trying to drill in what he's telling me.

First time ever played a course was thailand abso loved it, I thought i thailand my biggest leak was lifting/turning my head during the swing, and i started saying to myself 1000 times a round "keep your head still, keep your head still" and was still happening to an extent, turns out i've gotten into this bad habbit of, rather than moving my body through as you're supposed to, just turning my upper body and causing me to lean back some. It's so fucking hard all this stuff, the thumb on my right hand wasn't in the right position which the coach informs me is "a big problem," so yep I'm sure you're right when you say there is no short cuts at golf!!!

It is fun doing something that requires a LOT of concentration though, as you find yourself easily switching off from the rest of the world as there is no mental capacity to be thinking about swinging a golf club (do this with your body, stand like that, put your thumb here etc) and anything else at all... so it's a wonderful way to switch off, it's a nice mix of physical, mental, strategic, just a really cool game almost annoyed couldn't get into it sooner Cheesy

3 Goals for the year are;

Make Money
Plan my Wedding
Get better at golf.

But in reality if covered the years costs, didn't plan any wedding but got really good at golf i'd be loving it Cheesy

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 13, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »

Don't stand too close to the ball.  (After you've hit it...)

Getting lessons is definitely the right way, make sure you don't practice faults.  The best tip for my game has always been "concentrate on swinging the club, don't try and hit the ball"  When things go wrong it is usually because I have been trying to belt the cover off it.  Practice swing, take a step forward, pretend it is another practice swing, bam! 

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: February 13, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »

you can hit the ball well over 1/2 of your maximum distance with only half a back swing.  the further and longer you swing the club the more chance to cock it up or for it to go off track. 0.01 degree off multiplied by hitting it 200 yards means it's well off down range.

dont try and John Daly it wrapping the club around you 5 times, just go back halfway work on bringing it through right, using your hip rotation to provide the punch and stare at the floor until the ball is out of your sight. lifting your head to 'chase where the ball went and see if its a good shot' just changes your posture and you hit too high on the ball or over it etc.

dont try and hit the ball high either, the club face is what gives the ball its lift from rolling up it, it's club selection and positioning the ball in your stance that defines how the shot is shaped/what course it takes.

golf is pretty much all technique and mental game you don't have to be particularly phsyically strong to hit decent distances (+ medium distances straight is much better than long distances to the side), being both mentally strong in terms of focus and discipline and logically strong in the type of shot selected are the main differences in golfer skill.

if you have a decent coach at a big club or range, he likely has access to the camera equipment to watch back your swing and see your errors/inconsistencies which is a nice way to understand what you are being told. often they will tell you about your grip or your stance and changing this when you stand to the ball just feels so weird you just have to keep doing it until it is the new norm.

thumbs up
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:55:42 AM by titaniumbean » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 13, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »

Never had a lesson..still play comfortably off 12. People really over complicate golf but I am a natural tbf

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: