blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  10 most compelling news stories during your life?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 most compelling news stories during your life?  (Read 10290 times)
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »

I did not read anyone's posts. Now I have,

I think for the 45+ age range we need 15 picks just to cover the huge events

Can't believe what I missed!

Regards

M

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »

who is jeremy bamber?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »

who is jeremy bamber?

Convicted of murdering his family in 1986 although always denied it.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »

Can't believe i missed MH370, probably in my top 3 let alone top 10

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »

What an utterly brilliant idea for a thread!

Most of the major events have been covered and they, of course, appear in my own list.  The two defining news articles in my lifetime were 9/11 and the death of Diana.

As a bit of alternative reading, I submit my alternative list!

1981 - Diana Wedding

I have very vague memories of this, but I do remember my Mum and gran being completed enthralled by the fairytale princess in that dress. It sat on my mum’s lap and asked her what I needed to do to be a princess. My dad got me a drill and took me on Turf Moor instead. I still remembered that wedding whilst I watched her funeral procession with that very same family. Life is so fragile.

1988 - Lockerbie Bombings

Again, I was pretty little, but I do remember being completed terrified that a plane could just be blown up over Scotland. The stiff-upper-lip of English news was usually quite reserved, but I remember hearing stories of bodies falling out of the sky, still strapped into their airline seats (but only after the 9pm watershed). My life-long fear of flying started at this moment.

1989 - Hillsborough

To any football fan (and even in these very early years I was already going to Turf Moor) this was huge. But the main reason that I have included it is down to the oddness of its reporting. It was back at a time when we heard the news at allotted times of 6pm and 9pm, unless there was a matter of national concern that warranted a newsflash. This did not warrant a newsflash and so most of the country were blissfully unaware of the tragedy until the first news broke at 6pm. Put that into the context of today, where the news would be broken by people tweeting live from the scenes.

1993 - Lorena Bobbett

Ah. The name to strike fear into the heart of every man. This news story broke when I was still in school and I just remember it being the first time the girls and boys openly talked about “boy’s parts”. We giggled.

1995 - OJ Simpson gets away with murder

I had already decided that I wanted to be a lawyer by the time this news broke. It was the first time that such a courtroom spectacle was broadcast around the world and we were enthralled. Trials like that just didn’t happen in Britain. The sheer injustice of the verdict made me want to change the world.

1996 - Take That

Could you ever have imagined helplines needing to be set up by the Samaritans as a result of a boyband separating?! Well in February 1996 that is precisely what happened. Teenage girls lined the streets in tears and girls were put on suicide watch. Watch out for the repeat performance when One Direction go their separate ways!

1996 - Euro ’96 and Gazza

This was the summer of my life. I was living in London in the middle of an intense heatwave, with the Chris Evan’s breakfast show and the Boo Radleys providing the soundtrack. And our beloved country was hosting the Euros. We smashed Scotland. We laughed at Holland. We got to the semis. We lost to Germany on penalties. We cried. Gazza cried. Trafalgar Square got battered.

1997 - Louise Woodward and Matthew Eappen

This case shocked the UK. Baby faced au pair Louise Woodwood was convicted of the involuntary manslaughter of toddler Matthew Eappen, who was in her care at the time. She was later named the most notorious criminal convicted in Massachusetts. I still believe to this day that she was innocent. I continued to want to change the world.

1997 - “I’m flying Jack"

Titanic.  The launch of Kate Winslet’s career. The most incredible soundtrack in movie history. And Leo (sigh). I don’t recall a movie having quite the impact that this did at the time. It smashed all box office records ever and is still, to this day, one of my most favourite movies.

2009 - Obama v Clinton

I am completely obsessed with American politics. And in the race to the White House, it became clear that we could either have the first African American president, or the first female president. We may well have the alternate in the next general election and I cannot wait to see it all unfold. I am planning on being in Washington when the election results break!
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2015, 04:36:25 AM »

9/11. Was impactful I remember clearly as when it came  on the telly I was examining someone's accounts of a business i was thinking of buying and we just stopped and watched the small portable tv in their office... The video of seeing that plane hit the tower will always be vivid in my mind... I still have the telegraph from the next day with very vivid pictures including the falling man.. Still sends shivers..

Soham murders ... Remember sitting there on the Sunday afternoon glued to sky news ..seemed to strike a chord with me for some reason

Not sure when it was but I remember because of a very vivid image.... Two undercover British soldiers killed by mob in N Ireland..just remember seeing one of them dragged through the window of his car... Chilling

Diana... Remember the wife waking me on the Sunday morning and telling me..thought she was winding me up for half an hour

Maddie... Apart from the obvious I have some strong views regarding this and the parents

Gulf war... Watching the Baghdad City line light up with the bombs falling

Nick leeson... As a former city boy was fascinated by this and the demise of an institution

Fred and rose west

Death of Freddie mercury... Not just the death of an icon but bringing a real awareness of the AIDS virus which at the time was being scaremongered along the lines of the bubonic plague

Falklands particularly the sinking of the Sheffield and belgrano particularly was it simon west? and his his horrific injuries

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2015, 06:20:20 AM »

Suprised no one has mentioned the Ethiopian famine and Band Aid

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:17 AM »

Diana and 9/11 would be the biggest ones but I was too young to really get the significance of those events at the time (8 and 12)

The beginning of the 'War on Terror' which sounds so comical now. ITV news interrupted Stars In Their Eyes to show video of nighttime bombing raids.

7/7 was probably the most profound for me, I was commuting from Kent for work experience in London. Police everywhere blocking off roads, panic all over the radio and the phone networks were swamped so you couldn't call anyone. All in all a pretty nervy day.

Alexander Litvinenko

Execution of Saddam

Michael Jackson

Paris Concorde crash

Launch of the Euro

Deepwater Horizon

Fukushima Earthquake

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »

How could you forget the moving statues?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_statues

Yes, you are right of course. Don't know what I was thinking of.

I should have left out the collapse of Communism in Europe to make room for the moving statues.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »

All of the ones mentioned. Some great shouts there, I can't possibly choose 10.

One I would like to add though is the ash cloud that grounded all the planes. Can you imagine what that cost?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »

Also, I didn't realise it until now but Michael Jackson barely registered with me because my dad died on the same day.

The older I get, the better I was.
degston77

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »

In no particular order

9/11
Boxing day tsunami
Japan earthquake
Nikki conroy murder
Hillsborough
Lockerbie
Oj car chase
Fred West
Madelaine mccann
Flight mh370

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2015, 01:32:22 PM »

Pretty much agree with the majority of these from people my age.  Just watching sky news and the smoking ban being 8 years ago i was surprised no one mentioned the smoking ban as it really has changed life for the better.
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2015, 02:00:45 PM »

In no particular order, but certainly never to be forgotten by me as a 38 yr old.

9/11       

I just happened to have sky news on while having a cuppa, only to see the 2nd plane hit live on air, will never forget that.

Hillsborough

I was 13 at the time and my dad would not let me go.  Although I'd have been in the other end, I am glad I did not have to witness it in real life.

Diana's death/funeral

Never seen so much public outpouring of grief, again, will never forget it.

MH370

Compelling but tragic story, still more to come obviously.

Michael Sams/Stephanie Slater kidnap

This was close to home as he held her about a mile from where I live.....still convinced I walked past the yard at the time she was being held....if only I knew!

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »

Obv ones for me have already been said many times.

Other ones that stick out for me are:

Rwandan genocide- I was 6 when this happened. I can remember it being on the news every night and was prob the first event that made me aware of how cruel and evil humans could be. I can remember asking my Nan why this was happening, why they were killing people and remember her just replying "because they're different" and it really hit home.

Yugoslav Wars- Similar for me to the Rwanda thing, I was a bit older when the Kosovo war happened, and watched a lot of the news on it. It also made me aware of how different countries in the form of NATO were banding together to help the little guy. Both stick out in my mind because there wasn't a real reason (from my point of view) why these terrible things were happening other than that both sides were of different ethnicity.

Jill Dando murder- famous person getting killed on their doorstep really terrified me as it gave you a sense that no one was safe.

Harlod Shipman- Britain's biggest serial killer and my Grandma's old doctor (he didn't kill her). Obv not the most gruesome serial killer but on shear volume he was a truly terrifying man. He also practiced close to where I lived and I was pretty scared going to the doctors for a  few months.

The Mars Landings/asteroid landing- I'm really into space stuff but I think this jumped out in my head because of a programme I was watching around the same time. It was called 10,000 BC and documented a group of 30ish people trying to recreate living in prehistoric times. They struggled massively and had to have outside assistance multiple times. It made me realise how far as a species we've come. I mean there's an actual robot on Mars (made by us), millions of miles away in space and these people can't even build a hut properly. Makes me think of how many brilliant, amazing things humans can do when they want.

The financial crisis- This really peaked my interest and I made me much more aware of how the world works. From a personal point of view it had very minimal impact on me (just having left Uni, playing poker professionally) but to see people really close to me lives just crumble and them lose everything. How can these people basically in charge of everyone's finances be so reckless?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: