blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530728 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »

You never need as much as you think to get started. i know people that just use a rack and go a long way.

Upper/Lower is my personal bias as you can squeeze in lots of volume. But I definitely see an argument for full body whenever you go in too.

A typical layout I would say to anyone would be:

Upper A:

3x5-8 Push based

3x8 Pull Based

4x10 Cable Flye

4x10 Cable Row/LPD

3x8-15 Press Up

3x8-15 Inv Row

Some arms, 2-3 sets 10-15 reps if you have it in you. All I do for upper B is switch the press based and pull based at the start, so I work in slightly diff rep range. I swap the press ups and inv row too DB shoulders and DB Row same rep range though.

Lower

3x5-8 Squat

3x8-12 Leg Press

3x8-10 RDL

3x10e Walking Lunge

3x10-15 Ham Curl

Lower B

3x5-8 DL

3x8 Bridge

3x8e Weighted Lunge

3x10-15 Goblet Squat

3x10-15 Leg Ext

Keep it simple, keep progressing.

Matt will like this, but you probably do need more protein, and to be a bit more structured with meals (if possible). You will probably need to eat more than you ever thought to gain weight. At the start you get the beginner gains where magic happens, but around the 6-12 months that definitely stops and you have to be far more focused. If you ever wanna have a chat, PM your Skype and we can go through a few things if you want. As long as you are willing to put the time in, 30-60 mins on Skype will probably get you a few tips to make some major changes.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 07, 2017, 10:33:47 AM »

4x3 107.5 Bench yesterday, last set I was doooone, so dropped to 100 and got 5 eccentrics out with a spot. So aim next week is all 4 at 107.5

4x8e OAR 50s again, slightly better but still failing on the 8th.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 07, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »

4x3 107.5 Bench yesterday, last set I was doooone, so dropped to 100 and got 5 eccentrics out with a spot. So aim next week is all 4 at 107.5

Going to be smashing that 115 at the next test day mate.

Don't forget to slip in a few explosive singles, I found that they really helped me. Are you going to be dropping back a bit on these soon? Seems like you're pushing right to limits regularly.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 07, 2017, 04:02:12 PM »

Don't forget to slip in a few explosive singles, I found that they really helped me. Are you going to be dropping back a bit on these soon? Seems like you're pushing right to limits regularly.

Haha, crazy timing, just thinking that same. Gonna take it back a bit from next week, little bit more volume.

Squats today

2x3 132.5
1x2 132.5
1x Stare at the bar before I unrack it
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 09, 2017, 01:27:26 AM »

Been lurking this thread for the past few months while I've got into training. A little background i'm 31 6ft tall and weigh about 165 lbs, so I'm pretty much an Ectomorph. Ultimately I'm just looking to gain a bit of mass and strength, looking to lift to fail and successfully increasing my calories. I've started to plateau a little and I'm looking to change up my routine a little although probably looking to keep the compound exercises.

At present its:

chest/triceps

Bench 65kg 1x6 1x5 1x4
Inclined DB press 3x8 22kg
DB fly 3x6 20kg
12/10/10/8 dips

10min core

Back/Biceps

close grip pulldowns 70kg 4x10
bentover barbell row 55kg 4x10
DB row 20kg 4x20
DB alternative curls 2x6 14kg

10 min core

Legs/shoulders

8/8/6/6 50kg squats ( weak knee through football injury)
DB shoulder press 3x7 20kg
lateral raises 3x9 8kg
upright rows 3x8 14kg
calf raises 4x10 115kg
leg extensions 4x10 60kg

10min core

I plucked this routine off the internet and slightly modified it since my gym is very basic as its a squash/tennis club. Its on my doorstep and i play squash so moving gyms isn't an option. Any advice or pointers would be great to changing things up a bit.

Echo what Harvey says about upper/lower being a great programme to try. Also agree that you should focus on the big movements and ignore the little muscles (biceps...) for the most part.

I'm on upper/lower at the moment so give this a try if you fancy it?

Today was my first upper:

Bicep curls 3 x 15 in to side lateral raise 3 x 15. These are very light and form part of my warm up. I do wrist, elbow and shoulder circles in between sets with no breaks at all.

3 x 10 moderate weight pull downs. Gets the lats firing and is a bit more warm up before the pressing.
Bench press - 20, 40, 60, 80kg - 6 reps per set paused with a really explosive press.
Bent over row - 3 x 10 moderate weight up to 70kg
OHP - 3 x 8 moderate weight up to 50kg
3 x 6 pull ups super set with 3 x 20 press ups. Killer finish!!

Seems like a lot but I squeeze it all in to 40 minutes by minimising breaks. Because of the moderate weights and not pushing to failure it's only the final super sets where I need more than about 45 seconds rest. That lets you get much more volume in and also you'll be doing it twice per week.

I may change this routine around a little bit but upper for me always focuses on bench / OHP for pressing and bent over row / pull ups for pulling.

Everything I'm doing at the moment has one specific goal of a big bench press by the end of the year. The routine at the moment isn't pushing my chest but it's giving me a break, protecting my shoulders (which are dodgy) and also maintaining everything that's needed for a big bench press.

This might be something you could try. Get yourself one specific goal and target your training around that. It's easy to get consumed in to trying to make everything big at the same time and unfortunately that won't happen. If overall size is your main focus then perhaps make deadlifts your main lower focus and OHP your main upper focus for a 6 week block. Push yourself on those but let everything else work as accessory for your main lifts.

There's so many ways you could go but the main thing as always is patience as it isn't going to happen overnight.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:55 AM »

Haha, crazy timing, just thinking that same. Gonna take it back a bit from next week, little bit more volume.

Squats today

2x3 132.5
1x2 132.5

How are you fixed for Saturday 29th April for a 1RM test day?

Looks good for you at the moment to hit some new PBs on bench and squat.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 09, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »

Squats today

2x3 132.5
1x2 132.5

How are you fixed for Saturday 29th April for a 1RM test day?

Looks good for you at the moment to hit some new PBs on bench and squat.

Will have a check, but should be good. Haven't OHP'd much since our first one. DL been pauses, and about to take back squats out for a bit of OH and fronts. So may just train how I feel and see where it gets me. Always open for a session though. If anyone else is interested please get involved.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 09, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

Lower day today and kept it pretty easy.

Leg press at 75, 125, 175 for sets of 10 as a warm up.

Squats up to 80kg for 6 which felt good.

RDL up to 60kg for 8 then a cheeky 110kg triple for japes.

Started deadlifts at 70kg for 10 but then went 110kg for 5. Didn't feel great at these so did some heavy (for me) singles at 120, 130 and 140.

Felt my technique slipping slightly with DL but not just on the heavier ones. Think I need to refocus on these and get back where I should be with my form. There's enough left in the tank to be able to hit a reasonable number by the end of March but only if I stay strict.

Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 09, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »

Cheers fellas, I'm away on a stag weekend to undo some good work but I'll report back with a upper/lower routine next week and let you know how I'm finding it.

@whollyflush on twitter
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 13, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »

OH Squats today, want to start doing these once a week and see where I get.

4x6 45kg actually felt kinda stable. I did a set at 50 a few weeks ago and was really wobbly.

4x8 RDL 105 upped it a bit as want to progress with these, and grip strength

3x5 Hack Squat 50kg, still dont like these.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 13, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »

DL on Friday was touuuugh too.

4x5 Pause 130, the pause was just off the bottom and one of the tiring 15 mins I have had in the gym for a long time.

4x8 LP 200 then 180 (obv added it up wrong for 200, then realised why it was so heavy so dropped to I could gain some control back)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 14, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »

It's been a tough week or two for me. I've not been feeling particularly great mentally due to some unfortunate circumstances and it's transferring to my sleep and then because of the time I go to my training.

I had to slip in a full body session on Saturday as I only trained twice during the week and this week has started off far from ideal as I missed this morning.

I trained upper yesterday which was pretty good. Bench up to 100kg, BoR to 80kg, OHP to 60kg and 20 odd pull ups to finish.

I woke up this morning at my usual time of 5.30 but I'd not got to sleep 'til after 2am so I really didn't feel great. I decided to skip the session and I'll try to get to bed a bit earlier tonight as I really don't want to get out of a good habit.

Assuming we go for 29th as a test day I don't need to get serious for another two weeks as that's when the 5 week programme starts. First week is 4 x 6 at 100kg and 3 x 3 at 107.5kg though so I need to be reasonably strong from the get go.

Need to get motivated in the mornings.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 15, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »

Better day today probably helped by an extra hour or two of sleep.

Steady squats up to 80kg for 6 and then some more heavy deadlift singles.

Managed 2 x 1 at 150kg which is a PB. Close to my limit on those now so I'll try it again once more then go back to volume work for a few weeks.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 16, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »

Keeping things ticking.

No major numbers to report as going into a little bit of a volume phase.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 18, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »

Better day today probably helped by an extra hour or two of sleep.

Steady squats up to 80kg for 6 and then some more heavy deadlift singles.

Managed 2 x 1 at 150kg which is a PB. Close to my limit on those now so I'll try it again once more then go back to volume work for a few weeks.

Those two heavy single deadlifts absolutely fried my lower back, glutes, hamstrings and hips. Nothing was injured but I've really struggled for a few days and only just started to feel right again today.

I definitely need to plan the heavy lifts for my final session of the week to give me plenty of recovery time before the next session.

I think next week I'll do a light lower day on the Tuesday and then try to slip in a few heavy sets on the Thursday or Friday giving me a full weekend to recover before upper again on the Monday.

Loving putting some reasonable numbers up for deadlift at last but it's bloody taxing! 200 here we come.......

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: