blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530812 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »

Training hasn't been the forefront for a few weeks, but has been going really well. I think I enjoy this way more. When I am progressing without thinking about it. All numbers going up by 'accident'.

OH squats now are at 45-50 for sets of 8-10. Still not nailed the technique and wanna up the reps numbers too but really happy.

Back DL-ing slightly heavier too. Last few weeks we have had at 160 and feel more confident in th technique side. Still get twinges in my lower back, but I think thats more a sensory response as opposed to damage as always feel fine the next few days.

Haven't been pressing as dont want to over load my shoulder, but machine presses, flyes and press ups are keeping the fullness there.

Deadstop rows als Coup to 4x8 at 100 which not gonna lie makes me extremely happy. Could be my favourite exercise at the minute.

Handstands back in and going well too.

Diet, lol. Focusing a bit more, but not stiff so I'm getting enough in, possibly a little too much. But abs do not appeal to me at all right now
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 11, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »

Apologies for the long winded message that follows. I'll try to compress it but it won't be easy.....

Had the most amazing physio session yesterday with a definite 'eureka' moment.

My shoulder seems okay but my right hip has been playing up ever since I started to go a bit heavier with the deadlifts. It nothing debilitating by any means but I wanted to try to get to the bottom of it now before it gets worse and becomes a problem.

Anyway she did all kinds of tests mainly putting my legs or arms in to various positions and getting me to apply resistance as she pushed so that she would see how strong everything was. Anyway pretty much all of the tests were fine until one where I was flat on my back with one leg straight and the other lifted at 45 degrees about 45cm from centre but also straight. Hope that makes sense. She then tries to push the leg back to centre and I have to resist. There was absolutely no strength there whatsoever and she pushed me back with pretty much zero effort. She checked the other side and that was the same.

This didn't seem particularly strange to me as it seemed a weird position to expect to have any strength anyway but she said it indicated that my iliopsoas muscle wasn't firing as it should be. To me anything to do with the psoas is lifting your leg at the knee but apparently this test isolates it so that nothing else can help so shows that its not working as it should be.

So to fix this she has to get the iliopsoas firing somehow. The way to do that is to massage the muscle kind of like myofascial release and that will get it going. The muscle connects near the belly button so that's where she has to prod her fingers for 30 agonising seconds on each side.

She then goes to do the test again and as soon as she applied pressure I just said 'wow!'. It was genuine shock at the difference activating that muscle had made to this one movement pattern. Whereas before she could move my leg just with her hand she now had to apply her bodyweight to counter the resistance.

So what's the point of all this blurb... Well if that one muscle hasn't been doing it's job properly what could it do for my training once I get it firing as it should be? The hips are a huge part of the deadlift so activating one of the prime movers could make a huge difference. I've thought for a long time that I'm nowhere near as strong as I should be at deadlift and I'm wondering if this is a major factor.

I'll be deadlifting tomorrow so really looking forward to doing the activation exercise beforehand and seeing what happens. The difference it made to that one movement was incredible, I can't overstate it enough. If that muscle gets to doing what it should then it frees up the others to do what they should and hey presto we have a decent deadlift at last.

Such a small thing but my confidence is really high just from knowing that something hasn't been working properly but can potentially be fixed. It's made me wonder what other muscles don't always 'fire' as they should? Perhaps that's where the elite athletes have their edge? Everything works as it should in perfect harmony with everything else.

Really looking forward to it and will be providing a report on the result. Probably going to be a 120 double Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »

Very interesting stuff, and fingers crossed that it yields the expected results.

I've been thinking about booking up with these people in Vegas http://letmestretchyou.com/

Cheaper than backpage, and won't rob your safe... Joking aside, a guy on 2p2 was raving about them. Hopefully I can work something out and get one a week while I'm there.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 11, 2017, 10:42:38 PM »

Apologies for the long winded message that follows. I'll try to compress it but it won't be easy.....

Had the most amazing physio session yesterday with a definite 'eureka' moment.

My shoulder seems okay but my right hip has been playing up ever since I started to go a bit heavier with the deadlifts. It nothing debilitating by any means but I wanted to try to get to the bottom of it now before it gets worse and becomes a problem.

Anyway she did all kinds of tests mainly putting my legs or arms in to various positions and getting me to apply resistance as she pushed so that she would see how strong everything was. Anyway pretty much all of the tests were fine until one where I was flat on my back with one leg straight and the other lifted at 45 degrees about 45cm from centre but also straight. Hope that makes sense. She then tries to push the leg back to centre and I have to resist. There was absolutely no strength there whatsoever and she pushed me back with pretty much zero effort. She checked the other side and that was the same.

This didn't seem particularly strange to me as it seemed a weird position to expect to have any strength anyway but she said it indicated that my iliopsoas muscle wasn't firing as it should be. To me anything to do with the psoas is lifting your leg at the knee but apparently this test isolates it so that nothing else can help so shows that its not working as it should be.

So to fix this she has to get the iliopsoas firing somehow. The way to do that is to massage the muscle kind of like myofascial release and that will get it going. The muscle connects near the belly button so that's where she has to prod her fingers for 30 agonising seconds on each side.

She then goes to do the test again and as soon as she applied pressure I just said 'wow!'. It was genuine shock at the difference activating that muscle had made to this one movement pattern. Whereas before she could move my leg just with her hand she now had to apply her bodyweight to counter the resistance.

So what's the point of all this blurb... Well if that one muscle hasn't been doing it's job properly what could it do for my training once I get it firing as it should be? The hips are a huge part of the deadlift so activating one of the prime movers could make a huge difference. I've thought for a long time that I'm nowhere near as strong as I should be at deadlift and I'm wondering if this is a major factor.

I'll be deadlifting tomorrow so really looking forward to doing the activation exercise beforehand and seeing what happens. The difference it made to that one movement was incredible, I can't overstate it enough. If that muscle gets to doing what it should then it frees up the others to do what they should and hey presto we have a decent deadlift at last.

Such a small thing but my confidence is really high just from knowing that something hasn't been working properly but can potentially be fixed. It's made me wonder what other muscles don't always 'fire' as they should? Perhaps that's where the elite athletes have their edge? Everything works as it should in perfect harmony with everything else.

Really looking forward to it and will be providing a report on the result. Probably going to be a 120 double Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hopefully a huge confident builder.

Elite athlete/genetic freaks definitely have this. There bodies just sync all the muscle movement/pattern in the right sequence with the right timing. Some like OL and powerlifting are testaments to this. The tiniest delay or error in the sequence and you fail the lift.

Similar with sport too, miss time a shot in cricket/tennis/golf etc and it doesn't go where you want (obviously pressure and mindset come in too, but ultimately its a physiological error that causes the mistake).

Plz slow down with DL progress so my ego doesnt die. Thanks
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 11, 2017, 11:57:55 PM »

Good news Matt, doesn't come as a surprise to me.

There is no doubt that athletes who have the best medical teams and sport science behind them produce the best results. 

Sadly that only realy happens in this country at top level guys and girls who are amateurs don't get that opportunity sadly and some of our best performers in the UK over the years have come through the amateur ranks.  I think I mentioned before what a difference there was for athletes who were classed as elite and got lotto funding. 

I remember years ago when our gym had camera's installed that looked side on at lifts and a camera placed at the back of the platform.  Some massive gaiins were made by the lifters overnight, sadly technology moved on and the equiment was soon obsolete.  In terms of medical care there were  boys in our gym who's only medical care was the NHS and a session or two a month whith a chiropractor.  For one guy who in my view who had the potential at Schoolboy and Junior level to be an Olympic Level athlete was lifting with a broken bone in hs wrist for near on 2 years.  He was squatting 220kg at 77kg body weight at 18 in 1999 for sets of 6, Scotland's top heavyweight in the 105kg class at the time was squatting similar for singles. He was cleaning 160kg  but couldn't jerk 135kg without being in agony. 

I hope you see the  gains you expect, but don't be disappointed if it takes time and  be thankful that you should be free of many of your niggles.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 12, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »

Good news Matt, doesn't come as a surprise to me.

There is no doubt that athletes who have the best medical teams and sport science behind them produce the best results. 

Sadly that only realy happens in this country at top level guys and girls who are amateurs don't get that opportunity sadly and some of our best performers in the UK over the years have come through the amateur ranks.  I think I mentioned before what a difference there was for athletes who were classed as elite and got lotto funding. 

I remember years ago when our gym had camera's installed that looked side on at lifts and a camera placed at the back of the platform.  Some massive gaiins were made by the lifters overnight, sadly technology moved on and the equiment was soon obsolete.  In terms of medical care there were  boys in our gym who's only medical care was the NHS and a session or two a month whith a chiropractor.  For one guy who in my view who had the potential at Schoolboy and Junior level to be an Olympic Level athlete was lifting with a broken bone in hs wrist for near on 2 years.  He was squatting 220kg at 77kg body weight at 18 in 1999 for sets of 6, Scotland's top heavyweight in the 105kg class at the time was squatting similar for singles. He was cleaning 160kg  but couldn't jerk 135kg without being in agony. 

I hope you see the  gains you expect, but don't be disappointed if it takes time and  be thankful that you should be free of many of your niggles.

Must be so frustrating at that level.

Human body is just so stupidly annoying at times.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 13, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

A pain free, video'd and technically pleasing DL session today. Peaked at 170 for three. Really really happy, creating a lot of tension and hoping to see some big strides with this over the next few years.

Flip side was OH squats today, it all seems to fall apart when i wear the OL shoe. I internally rotate at the hips, roll my feet inwards and lift my heel. Yet shoeless its (although not perfect) just how I would want it. Really, really annoying. I think I just need to practice in the shoe.

Some hack squats and LP. 200 for 3x12 on the LP and feeling pretty easy if I am honest. I do wear the OL shoe for that, so may try a shoeless one to see if there is a major difference.

Really good training week so far, hopefully can continue.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 14, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »

First session today since Monday and also first session since I found out about my hip issue. I've been doing the activation exercises daily and then did them this morning before I went to the gym.

Just did the usual leg press, squat, RDL & DL lower routine that I've come to really like. Squat was decent with 3 x 5 really good reps at 80kg and then DL for 5 x 5 at 100kg again really good reps.

Didn't bother doing anything silly, just going to keep working that hip and getting some reasonable volume in and see how things develop. Very confident start as there was no pain at all so I'm going to try to be patient and stay nice and light for a while just grooving the movements ready for some decent numbers later in the year.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 14, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »

A pain free, video'd and technically pleasing DL session today. Peaked at 170 for three. Really really happy, creating a lot of tension and hoping to see some big strides with this over the next few years.

Flip side was OH squats today, it all seems to fall apart when i wear the OL shoe. I internally rotate at the hips, roll my feet inwards and lift my heel. Yet shoeless its (although not perfect) just how I would want it. Really, really annoying. I think I just need to practice in the shoe.

Some hack squats and LP. 200 for 3x12 on the LP and feeling pretty easy if I am honest. I do wear the OL shoe for that, so may try a shoeless one to see if there is a major difference.

Really good training week so far, hopefully can continue.

Think we need to get some kind of deadlift challenge going. First to 500lb could be a fun long term challenge.

First to 200kg in the shorter term then 227.5kg longer term.

You smash the 200kg obviously as you're probably there already but 227.5kg could be close

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 14, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »

Knocked another 4 out this week, but might only get 3 next week, as trainer isn't working Monday, and I'm getting loaded up with Tysabri all afternoon Weds.

Going to try starting heavier on the leg press next week, and use the hack squats as my warm up, like you suggested Matt.

Just do 3/4 sets on there with a couple plates, and then a drop set to burn out.

Try and build some more power up in my glutes/hams, and see if I can get squatting a bar before Vegas.

Think I've pulled something in my neck today, but only notice it when I turn my head to speak to the old man in the office. Hopefully settles down, and if not I'll just ignore him for a few days Grin

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 16, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »

Low volume day on the bench today. After a few weeks of quite a few reps it drops down to 3 x 2 @ 85% of max and then 3 x 1 @ 90%

Target was 115kg for the three doubles and then 120kg for the singles.

Pleased to say I managed them all with no spotter, a decent pause and a little bit left in the tank if I'd wanted another rep.

This was a huge confidence boost ahead of my next test day which is targeted as 2 weeks away. Whether I do it or not will depend on whether there's a decent spotter about and also with it being bank holiday weekend whether I go out and do something stupid the night before.

If I end up not testing I'm really not too bothered. I'm enjoying the training towards the test day and confident that my strength is increasing all the time. If I had to test right now I'm happy I'd get the 140kg again so that'll keep me happy.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »

Knocked another 4 out this week, but might only get 3 next week, as trainer isn't working Monday, and I'm getting loaded up with Tysabri all afternoon Weds.

Going to try starting heavier on the leg press next week, and use the hack squats as my warm up, like you suggested Matt.

Just do 3/4 sets on there with a couple plates, and then a drop set to burn out.

Try and build some more power up in my glutes/hams, and see if I can get squatting a bar before Vegas.

Think I've pulled something in my neck today, but only notice it when I turn my head to speak to the old man in the office. Hopefully settles down, and if not I'll just ignore him for a few days Grin

Good stuff consistency wise. How long till Vegas?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »

Low volume day on the bench today. After a few weeks of quite a few reps it drops down to 3 x 2 @ 85% of max and then 3 x 1 @ 90%

Target was 115kg for the three doubles and then 120kg for the singles.

Pleased to say I managed them all with no spotter, a decent pause and a little bit left in the tank if I'd wanted another rep.

This was a huge confidence boost ahead of my next test day which is targeted as 2 weeks away. Whether I do it or not will depend on whether there's a decent spotter about and also with it being bank holiday weekend whether I go out and do something stupid the night before.

If I end up not testing I'm really not too bothered. I'm enjoying the training towards the test day and confident that my strength is increasing all the time. If I had to test right now I'm happy I'd get the 140kg again so that'll keep me happy.

Definitely getting 140, swear I didn't touch it last time right? Will have to try and fit in another testing day, weekends are pretty busy at the minute. Will see if we can get one in!

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 17, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »

Solid week of training last week. Feel really hungry so just kept eating and added a few more sessions in. The two extra were just random stuff I don't normally do, work on the rings/BW type stuff. Burns some energy and doesn't beat me up too much
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 17, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »

Remember Conor McGregor saying he ruined himself messing about on those rings too much during a fight camp. Said that he got addicted to them  Cheesy

I've got a couple months until Vegas, so plenty of training time yet.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: