blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533732 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: February 12, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »

Got 3x5 100kg on the squat rack today. I'd call them three quarter squats i guess. I don't go quite as deep as when i do lower weights but probably deep enough. I imagine getting used to having the weight on my back will be beneficial anyway as when i did a warm up of 80kg it felt suuuuper light and i was able to comfortably go very deep. Hopefully 5x5 100kg next weekend.

I may have a question about lactic acid lol, or at least muscle ache/failure. Me and my trainer have been working well together and he's been pushing me on a variety of exercises. However i really feel sometimes that when we work to failure i actually have more left in the tank, but it's just the lactic acid build up and consequently the ache just becomes unbearable to work through. Could this be a thing? I often stop sets midway when the pain gets high to shake out for a few seconds and then can easily get out a few more reps.

I wonder if there's anything i can do to reduce this build up, or whether pushing through this pain barrier is simply part of the process. Or whether i'm just barking up the wrong tree entirely and this isnt relevant whatsoever Cheesy

1) Very relevant
2) There is an amount of 'pain tolerance' that you just build over time.
3) If you cant do anymore, for whatever reason, that is still training to failure.
4) Caffeine helps tolerance to pain.
5) Beta alanine or sodium bicarb help buffer hydrogen ions (i.e. the little fuckers that cause you pain) so this can help with the extra few reps. I do recommend Beta Al if you are struggling with the build up.

6) Pretty solid effort all round number wise. Maybe video the squats for yourself if you dont and see. Pretty sure you can just pause at the bottom in the vid and draw a line across the screen to measure depth.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »

Loving some numbers being posted here lately.

Squats were annoying this week, couldn't progress in anything other than last week and didn't feel quite as good. So same numbers.

Bench this week my shoulder were so stiff for whatever reason, I just did a lighter set with some drop sets as positioning was just too difficult at the heavier end. Kept losing tension.

Chins annoyingly the same as last week too. Been adding a rep here or there for a few weeks. So will try push that one out next week, might even get someone to give me a spot/push at my sticking point.

DL were speed this week. 6x3 120. The second set felt the quickest I've ever done three reps. Absolutely peaked there as the last set looking like a normal set, oops.

OHP was a weird one, same as last week but the wrong order, went 4/5/3 at 65kg. So annoyed I didn't get the extra on on set 1!

All accessory movements went well, bought the leg press back in and making some good strides there. Adding a rep or a couple of KGs across the board.

Feeling really hungry lately so just eating. Haven't weighed in, but trying not to get carried away with the calorie dense stuff and sticking to the usual. Really enjoying white fish at the minute (i realise how weird that sounds when its so bland).

Although didn't progress where I would like, really did enjoy training this week. So looking forward to next. Speed squats and heavy DLs. Looking to get some volume reps at 100kg for bench and really want that 70kg OHP for reps too. They are the current aims. Both so close but so far. DL wise want 2-4 and 180 and a 140kg Squat ( I did get that with Matt but I think I was 90kg then so I am 5kg lighter now).

I think all of those are 6-10 weeks away but enjoying the way training is going so hope to stick to it until then.

You seem to be progressing weekly on pretty much everything, fantastic work.

Can't see a problem with the OHP blip on set one. Probably just got your set up slightly wrong, I did similar the other week and had a bad set but immediately followed it with a proper set. Think you've got me beaten on OHP now, doubt I'd be doing 5 @ 65kg although might give it a try just in case I can.

Yeah good point about the set up, my first set on OHP I am sure I waste an amount of energy being inefficient because of it.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: February 12, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

Can't see a problem with the OHP blip on set one. Probably just got your set up slightly wrong, I did similar the other week and had a bad set but immediately followed it with a proper set. Think you've got me beaten on OHP now, doubt I'd be doing 5 @ 65kg although might give it a try just in case I can.

Yeah good point about the set up, my first set on OHP I am sure I waste an amount of energy being inefficient because of it.

I find that I really notice a difference on every rep of OHP dependent on how well I've got myself set up. Occasionally I get one spot on and it moves so easily it's untrue but also on occasion I get one that just won't go anywhere.

I guess there's really nowhere to hide when you're pressing something strictly overhead. Everything has to be tight and when you're somewhere near a max your weakest link will always be exposed.

I find that if I can focus on squeezing the bar down to my chin I then have enough spring for it to fly back up. As soon as gravity is the primary driver for the downwards motion it just ain't going back up.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: February 12, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »

Hey strong guys - was casting around for sporting documentaries - watched Eddie Strongman which I guess you'll have all seen - first time I could identify with some of the feelings that might make you want to be strong - pretty compelling, a little inspirational and a good watch - 462kgs, not 'arf

sola virtus nobilitat
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: February 12, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »

Hey strong guys - was casting around for sporting documentaries - watched Eddie Strongman which I guess you'll have all seen - first time I could identify with some of the feelings that might make you want to be strong - pretty compelling, a little inspirational and a good watch - 462kgs, not 'arf

Watch his 500, gives me goosebumps still.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: February 12, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »

I find that I really notice a difference on every rep of OHP dependent on how well I've got myself set up. Occasionally I get one spot on and it moves so easily it's untrue but also on occasion I get one that just won't go anywhere.

I guess there's really nowhere to hide when you're pressing something strictly overhead. Everything has to be tight and when you're somewhere near a max your weakest link will always be exposed.

I find that if I can focus on squeezing the bar down to my chin I then have enough spring for it to fly back up. As soon as gravity is the primary driver for the downwards motion it just ain't going back up.

I am liking more movement path lately. I think its come on so much. If anything I am guilty with rushing my foot placement. Just need to take a second and be a bit wider. Think I am too narrow and lose a bit of stability.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: February 15, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »

Got myself some bands the other day and used them for a chest session on Tuesday. Just used them for bench to try to help me power through the sticking point I have mid way through the movement.

Absolutely loved them especially the instability they put on the bar and I think I'll be using them a lot in he future.

I bought a full set from 6kg up to 36kg at full tension. Might have to invest in some of the heavier ones for deadlift and squat, definitely put a new twist on training that's for sure.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: February 16, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »

Got myself some bands the other day and used them for a chest session on Tuesday. Just used them for bench to try to help me power through the sticking point I have mid way through the movement.

Absolutely loved them especially the instability they put on the bar and I think I'll be using them a lot in he future.

I bought a full set from 6kg up to 36kg at full tension. Might have to invest in some of the heavier ones for deadlift and squat, definitely put a new twist on training that's for sure.

Love a band
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: February 16, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »

Little 2.5kg on the DL all round today which was nice.

OHP back to 3x5 65 so looking for a 2.5 next week too.

Training pretty good all round to be honest.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »

Little 2.5kg on the DL all round today which was nice.

OHP back to 3x5 65 so looking for a 2.5 next week too.

Training pretty good all round to be honest.

Same for me really although a slight blip yesterday.

I repeated week two of the bench programme and it went fantastically. Felt incredibly strong, well within limits, added a bit to both the normal and slingshot sets.

3 x 5 @ 100kg
2 x 5 @ 102.5kg
110kg, 115kg and 117.5kg with the slingshot

Pauses were really well controlled, lock out was great, tension was great, all in all couldn't fault it.

Then......

One of the big guys needed a lift with a 75kg dumbbell for an attempt at a DB press PB. I picked it up easily enough for him but then went to spot him and it was clearly too much for him. I was trying to help but he still couldn't get the rep so that gives an idea how much I was trying to assist. I'd foolishly done that without putting my elbow or wrist strap on which wasn't a great idea and immediately afterwards I felt my wrist was fucked Sad

Went on to do some light db press myself and even the warm up was killing me.

It's feeling really sore now and I think my shoulder has gone as well. Luckily I'm booked in for physio on Tuesday and Wednesday so hopefully I can get it sorted for next Saturday.

So a hugely positive day with a bit of a self inflicted downer at the end which hopefully won't cause too much of an issue. We shall see....

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: February 18, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »

Urgh, I hope the physio sorts all that out for you, Matt.

I got another 4 sessions in last week, but I've tweaked/strained a muscle at the top of my back somehow. Thankfully it only hurts when I move my head to look out of the window over my shoulder, or when I'm lying down to sleep, and can still train.

My PT trying to get us both in with our guy asap, and I told him I didn't mind going down early doors if it means not having to wait.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: February 18, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »

I got another 4 sessions in last week, but I've tweaked/strained a muscle at the top of my back somehow. Thankfully it only hurts when I move my head to look out of the window over my shoulder, or when I'm lying down to sleep, and can still train.

My PT trying to get us both in with our guy asap, and I told him I didn't mind going down early doors if it means not having to wait.

I've been to the gym tonight and managed quite nicely so hopefully it'll recover okay especially with some physio assistance.

Just did light back work and light OHP with the idea being to get blood to the area and work it rather than just rest and hope it gets better on its own. I wasn't sure whether to go or not but I'm glad I did as I genuinely feel you're better to work something if possible as long as you know your body well and know that you're not doing more harm than good.

Those little muscle tweaks definitely need to be worked in my opinion so good to hear you've not had to take time off. There's a huge difference between a tweak and an injury and as long as you can tell the difference I'm convinced you're better off working it rather than resting it.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: February 18, 2018, 11:38:22 PM »

I've been to the gym tonight and managed quite nicely so hopefully it'll recover okay especially with some physio assistance.

Just did light back work and light OHP with the idea being to get blood to the area and work it rather than just rest and hope it gets better on its own. I wasn't sure whether to go or not but I'm glad I did as I genuinely feel you're better to work something if possible as long as you know your body well and know that you're not doing more harm than good.

Those little muscle tweaks definitely need to be worked in my opinion so good to hear you've not had to take time off. There's a huge difference between a tweak and an injury and as long as you can tell the difference I'm convinced you're better off working it rather than resting it.

That's a result, for sure. Fingers crossed it'll only need a bit of work with the physio this week.

Only time I don't go, is if I can't move, or if I've got something that I might give to everyone in the gym Cheesy

It's definitely a tweak, as I only feel it when I turn my head, or when I tilt it right back, and lifting/tensing isn't any issue. Only 3 weeks until Chelts, so don't really want to be missing any if I can avoid it.

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: February 19, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »

Gonna leave this here as other thread obsolete nowadays.

09/02/18 14st 3lb

I go on Holiday Sunday so gonna see how much I pile on whilst in Florida for a week.
Plan to run every other morning whilst there

Got back today weight was 14st 13lb

A little surprised it was that high as shorts still fit fine. Only did one short run. Got a blister on side of foot and wasn't worth making it worse.
Back on it from tomorrow
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »

3x5 100kg squats going nice and deep. Taking my time with these but feeling good. My ass has never been perkier.

Everything else going well. I don't pay great attention during sessions with the PT, after work i'm usually pretty drained so just lift what i'm told to lift til it's time to go home. Absolutely worth the 17 quid a session and it's not close. I've performed a variety of exercises and most importantly actually gone in. I'm looking forward to seeing what we achieve by summer.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: