blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272636 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 537241 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: February 08, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »

Glad it's going so well mate, impressive gains there!

Wanted to post a couple of eso kral style before and after shots but i am glad i don't know how to do it.   Will wait til the change is a bit more drastic and i look more like eddie!

When I was clearing my old desktop, before my new tower arrived. I found some pics from when I started dieting around March 2 years ago, and 2 I took just before Xmas.

Luckily for Blonde I'm in the same boat as you, and don't know how to post them Cheesy

Yes it is amazing how quickly i have got back to reasonably close to 20th century strength levels! I had no idea how long it would take to even get this far.  I have to admit i am surprised at the progress so far so quick.  I was trying to remember roughly my career highs back in 1999 when i peaked strength wise and was playing semi pro basketball.  It is a bit hazy and i have some memories of the glory days back in a proper spit and sawdust gym where Adrian Smith used to train (1990 wsm finalist finished 5th but total naivety on a lot of events cost him countless points and he should have had top 3 finish strength wise) and numerous other national body builders/bouncers/roiders in Kettering!  It was a brutal first gym to train in.  Anyone remember Adrian?  He is still easily the strongest guy i have ever seen train live even 25 years on.    He stripped down once for a novice body building show and looked insane.  The sheer bulk of his strongman physique was incredible on stage next to these newbies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJCGxzTLXCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OolM7It3NCc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Smith_(strongman)

Pretty such i benched 120kg flat.  I def did 55kg dumbbells on flat bench.  One arm dumbbell rows were 55kg.  Bicep curls barbell was 25kg plate on each side of an EZ bar.  i remember that vividly doing that for the first time and actually putting the 25kg plates on each side!

I upright rowed the same 25kg each side.  I never deadlifted back then as far as i am aware.  I can't remember ever deadlifting anyway.  I remember watching Adrian doing it and wondering wtf he was doing and what body part that worked out.  Think he had 7 or 8 plates on each side.  I can't really remember anything else weight wise which is a shame.  Nice to be getting back closer to those levels.  I have no idea if at 43 i will be able to get back to those 24 year old levels.  Will be fun trying.

Think I've never done more than 32.5 on DB Cheesy

That Smith was a unit, too.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 08, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

I pretty much have always trained with his guy's idea about warm up sets.  I am flat out every set pretty much.  I warm up then get to the max weight and do my two/three/four sets at that weight for however many reps i do.   LAst set of the last exercise is often a triple drop set as well just to totally fatigue the area.  it is pretty old school and Dorian Yates style.  That is what i first did when i started training and to get strong i don't think there is any other way.   Just stick to the basics.  The body doesn't change and neither do the absolute basics of getting strong/gaining mass.  Great video btw. He does talk an incredible amount of correct technical sports science stuff on training techniques and exhausting the muscle group in different ways ie changing rest periods not just weight for total volume of training put it.  He is also correct in the fact most people do far too many exercises for the 'himbo' body parts for show and not enough sets for back/legs which needs (and can take) an absolute pounding set/weight wise to fully exhaust it in order for it to keep growing.

Back and triceps is by far and away my fav of my three workouts at the minute.

I used to be flat out every set but now I'm nowhere near failure on most sets. Used to be 100% every set and just 4 sets at 4 different exercises in the 8 to 12 rep range usually pyramiding up in weight. It only took half an hour or so but jeez was it intense! These days I get half the work done in twice the time Cheesy

Back was always my favourite and probably still is. Double figure sets of pull ups with 40kg strapped around my waist were easy and it's only now that I realise just how good I was at them. Struggle with a set of 5 now although it's partly due to injuries rather than just not being as strong as I once was.

Stan Efferding is brilliant and insanely strong. The OAR technique he shows is great, you'll have to give it a try. I do them all the time now with the key focus being not to use your biceps especially for someone like you who has such strong biceps. If you're bicep curling 24kg dumbbells I'd imagine you can pull 20kg from an OAR position just using your arm. If you can isolate your lats and take your biceps out of it you can get away with those lighter dumbbells for a bit longer. For me because of arm injuries it's easy not to use the bicep because I naturally don't want to apply pressure to them. For you who I imagine enjoys them you'll have a tendency to do a lot of the pull with your arm, I'm sure that's how I used to do 70kg on these because there's no way I would using this stricter technique. If you can keep in your head that it's a back movement you should hopefully be able to take the arm out of it and maybe even have to drop down from 40s for a while as you adjust.

I can't do triceps at all now unfortunately. Any kind of push down exercise results in arm pain so I've had to quit them. If I go light enough that it doesn't hurt it isn't heavy enough to be working anything so I just don't do them.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »

Echo Matt, some good numbers there. How you enjoying it in general? Whats the average session time?

Still loving it tbh.  Got past the usual 4-6 week give up stage and it feels part of the weekly routine now.  Average session is 50-60 mins on the weights then a good stretch in the steam room after.  I steam/sauna and bubbles after every session.  They got a really good hot rub with jets to fire into the muscles you have just worked out if you lie at the right angle.  Decent coldish tub as well.  You need this recovery at my age believe me.  Usually all done in 2 hours.

No injury issues at all which is nice apart from left elbow just a bit sore now and again.  I will take that in mid 40s having not trained for nearly 20 years and banging out these numbers.  I have markedly increased protein consumption though last few weeks and sleeping well.  I always sleep well anyway so that has never been an issue.  I get up every day when i naturally wake up never have an alarm.  Everything is good generally tbh.

Sounds a really really nice balance to be fair! Feels like you have the environment to make some big numbers this year... no pressure!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 08, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »

I think what the last few comments have shown is that there are maaaanny ways and methods to progress. Its finding one you can sustain at any one time. It's why i find training and nutrition so interesting. There are few principles that have to be adhered to, the rest is just methodology. Can never be a bad plan hijacking a bit from everyone.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 08, 2018, 08:07:46 PM »

In Lemsip city, so not done anything since Monday...

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: February 09, 2018, 11:11:46 PM »

I've had a few days off this week as I've just felt knackered for some reason. Tried a couple of early morning sessions at the start of the week so that probably has something to do with it....

Good posterior chain session tonight though:

BoR 3 x 5 @ 120kg
RDL 4 x 5 @ 150kg
DL 5 x 3 @ 130kg
Paused DL 4 x 6 @ 60kg

130kg deadlifts were hard after the heavy RDL and BoR work. BoR are feeling really strong now and I think I could probably add a few kgs if I fancy it next time I do them first.

Paused deadlifts were tough and I felt them working my glutes and hamstrings really well. I did a pause 2" off the ground and then another 2" off the ground on the way back down. Just trying to build in good technique with these and they also act as a nice warm down after the heavier work.

Bench tomorrow, 5 x 5 @ 100kg. Feeling strong and well rested so confident it'll go well.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: February 09, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »

Gonna leave this here as other thread obsolete nowadays.

09/02/18 14st 3lb

I go on Holiday Sunday so gonna see how much I pile on whilst in Florida for a week.
Plan to run every other morning whilst there
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 10, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »

09/02/18 14st 3lb

I go on Holiday Sunday so gonna see how much I pile on whilst in Florida for a week.

Hi mate. Definitely seems best to post here, better to have one thread with a bit more activity than a couple just trickling. We struggle to keep this alive between 4 or 5 of us Cheesy

Is 14st 3lb quite heavy for you? Is this the start of a bit of a diet?

What's the reason for running on holiday? Is it because you love running on holiday or because you're worried about gaining a bit of weight? If it's the latter I wouldn't bother, just have a nice walk and enjoy taking in the scenery. 3 or 4 runs aren't going to offset one huge meal never mind a weeks worth so you might as well enjoy the break then get on it when you return.

Any particular weight targets and time to get there?

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: February 10, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »

I've had a few days off this week as I've just felt knackered for some reason. Tried a couple of early morning sessions at the start of the week so that probably has something to do with it....

BoR 3 x 5 @ 120kg
RDL 4 x 5 @ 150kg
DL 5 x 3 @ 130kg
Paused DL 4 x 6 @ 60kg

130kg deadlifts were hard after the heavy RDL and BoR work. BoR are feeling really strong now and I think I could probably add a few kgs if I fancy it next time I do them first.

Paused deadlifts were tough and I felt them working my glutes and hamstrings really well. I did a pause 2" off the ground and then another 2" off the ground on the way back down. Just trying to build in good technique with these and they also act as a nice warm down after the heavier work.

Bench tomorrow, 5 x 5 @ 100kg. Feeling strong and well rested so confident it'll go well.

Thats a huge RDL! To be fair not exactly an easy BoR either!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: February 10, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »

Loving some numbers being posted here lately.

Squats were annoying this week, couldn't progress in anything other than last week and didn't feel quite as good. So same numbers.

Bench this week my shoulder were so stiff for whatever reason, I just did a lighter set with some drop sets as positioning was just too difficult at the heavier end. Kept losing tension.

Chins annoyingly the same as last week too. Been adding a rep here or there for a few weeks. So will try push that one out next week, might even get someone to give me a spot/push at my sticking point.

DL were speed this week. 6x3 120. The second set felt the quickest I've ever done three reps. Absolutely peaked there as the last set looking like a normal set, oops.

OHP was a weird one, same as last week but the wrong order, went 4/5/3 at 65kg. So annoyed I didn't get the extra on on set 1!

All accessory movements went well, bought the leg press back in and making some good strides there. Adding a rep or a couple of KGs across the board.

Feeling really hungry lately so just eating. Haven't weighed in, but trying not to get carried away with the calorie dense stuff and sticking to the usual. Really enjoying white fish at the minute (i realise how weird that sounds when its so bland).

Although didn't progress where I would like, really did enjoy training this week. So looking forward to next. Speed squats and heavy DLs. Looking to get some volume reps at 100kg for bench and really want that 70kg OHP for reps too. They are the current aims. Both so close but so far. DL wise want 2-4 and 180 and a 140kg Squat ( I did get that with Matt but I think I was 90kg then so I am 5kg lighter now).

I think all of those are 6-10 weeks away but enjoying the way training is going so hope to stick to it until then.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 10, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »

09/02/18 14st 3lb

If you manage to get 1 run in I think you've done pretty awesome.

Not that I go away much lately, but dont even pack training gear now. All credit to those that manage to get some done when they are away.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 10, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »

09/02/18 14st 3lb

Hi mate. Definitely seems best to post here, better to have one thread with a bit more activity than a couple just trickling. We struggle to keep this alive between 4 or 5 of us Cheesy

Is 14st 3lb quite heavy for you? Is this the start of a bit of a diet?

What's the reason for running on holiday? Is it because you love running on holiday or because you're worried about gaining a bit of weight? If it's the latter I wouldn't bother, just have a nice walk and enjoy taking in the scenery. 3 or 4 runs aren't going to offset one huge meal never mind a weeks worth so you might as well enjoy the break then get on it when you return.

Any particular weight targets and time to get there?

Hi Matt

That weight isn't too bad, was 15st 12lb on Jan 1st. Just been eating fairly clean and exercising when time/energy allows.
Was ill with a virus end of last year, hadn't done much exercise and actually felt pretty ill too.  Running is now up at 6miles. Probs won't go much further, just aim to bring the times down. Progression has been quick on the running but I don't smoke/drink so comes pretty easy, just makes the joints ache in your 40s

Running in the morning on hols should be reasonably easy. Family will spend a couple of hours in the pool, whereas I cant swim, so going for a 5k run is a pretty easy fit.
Looking forward to the warmth whilst on hols and body due a refuel. Done a small weights session today and strength/energy just wasn't there.

Have been following the thread even though I haven't been posting much, some decent progress being made by those in the thread
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: February 10, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »

BoR 3 x 5 @ 120kg
RDL 4 x 5 @ 150kg
DL 5 x 3 @ 130kg
Paused DL 4 x 6 @ 60kg

Thats a huge RDL! To be fair not exactly an easy BoR either!

Definitely huge compared to my deadlift. I'm hoping that will catch up at some point.....

My mate couldn't make it for today's bench session but I walked in at the same time as another strong guy so still had a partner.

Made the programme a bit tough as we did incline bench first up to 115kg for me and 150kg for him!! F**king strong bastard!!

Also did some incline machine really heavy before moving on to flat bench so was pretty fatigued. Still got the 5 x 5 at 100kg and 3 x 3 @ 110kg with the slingshot. Pause was better than last week so was all good.

Very positive first two weeks, still hopeful for a decent attempt at a PR in a few weeks.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 10, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

Loving some numbers being posted here lately.

Squats were annoying this week, couldn't progress in anything other than last week and didn't feel quite as good. So same numbers.

Bench this week my shoulder were so stiff for whatever reason, I just did a lighter set with some drop sets as positioning was just too difficult at the heavier end. Kept losing tension.

Chins annoyingly the same as last week too. Been adding a rep here or there for a few weeks. So will try push that one out next week, might even get someone to give me a spot/push at my sticking point.

DL were speed this week. 6x3 120. The second set felt the quickest I've ever done three reps. Absolutely peaked there as the last set looking like a normal set, oops.

OHP was a weird one, same as last week but the wrong order, went 4/5/3 at 65kg. So annoyed I didn't get the extra on on set 1!

All accessory movements went well, bought the leg press back in and making some good strides there. Adding a rep or a couple of KGs across the board.

Feeling really hungry lately so just eating. Haven't weighed in, but trying not to get carried away with the calorie dense stuff and sticking to the usual. Really enjoying white fish at the minute (i realise how weird that sounds when its so bland).

Although didn't progress where I would like, really did enjoy training this week. So looking forward to next. Speed squats and heavy DLs. Looking to get some volume reps at 100kg for bench and really want that 70kg OHP for reps too. They are the current aims. Both so close but so far. DL wise want 2-4 and 180 and a 140kg Squat ( I did get that with Matt but I think I was 90kg then so I am 5kg lighter now).

I think all of those are 6-10 weeks away but enjoying the way training is going so hope to stick to it until then.

You seem to be progressing weekly on pretty much everything, fantastic work.

Can't see a problem with the OHP blip on set one. Probably just got your set up slightly wrong, I did similar the other week and had a bad set but immediately followed it with a proper set. Think you've got me beaten on OHP now, doubt I'd be doing 5 @ 65kg although might give it a try just in case I can.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: February 11, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »

Got 3x5 100kg on the squat rack today. I'd call them three quarter squats i guess. I don't go quite as deep as when i do lower weights but probably deep enough. I imagine getting used to having the weight on my back will be beneficial anyway as when i did a warm up of 80kg it felt suuuuper light and i was able to comfortably go very deep. Hopefully 5x5 100kg next weekend.

I may have a question about lactic acid lol, or at least muscle ache/failure. Me and my trainer have been working well together and he's been pushing me on a variety of exercises. However i really feel sometimes that when we work to failure i actually have more left in the tank, but it's just the lactic acid build up and consequently the ache just becomes unbearable to work through. Could this be a thing? I often stop sets midway when the pain gets high to shake out for a few seconds and then can easily get out a few more reps.

I wonder if there's anything i can do to reduce this build up, or whether pushing through this pain barrier is simply part of the process. Or whether i'm just barking up the wrong tree entirely and this isnt relevant whatsoever Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: