blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530882 times)
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 08, 2016, 10:37:20 AM »

Legs today

Deadlifts
2x5 155
2x5 160

Rack Pulls
1x10 120

Had to stick the straps on after the first set which drives me mental. Gonna work hard on grip next few months.

Keeping the dream alive to doing 2xBW for five at the end of the program.

Good week of training this week, hoping for the same next. Going podcast crazy which helps with walking. At the minute they are all nutrition based, but will stick some training ones in there if I find anyone I want to listen to. If anyone has any please feel free to share.

How is everyone else doing? Calling Rich to the thread as I know he is going pretty strong so far.

Sigh! some of us like to GIQ

Ok I will join the thread later on and put up what I am doing and trying to achieve Wink

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 08, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »

Here he is...

I've seen Rich's program, it is pretty tough at times.

Upper body today, coupled with a walk in. Hopefully a touch quicker than last time.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »

Decent start to the week for me. Both benches in use this morning so I did incline bench for a change. Managed 100kg for 6 reps which I was really pleased with.

60kg for OHP for 6 reps as well so all looking good.

Haven't decided what I'm going to do about this programme after my holiday. My original plan was to run the upper, lower, upper, lower thing until end of Feb when I go away and then try something different on my return.

I'm really enjoying it though and still making steady gains so it seems silly to worry about making any changes just yet. Any thoughts from you guys on this? Change anyway just for the sake of it or stick with what's working? Seems a no-brainer to me but if there's a solid reason for doing something different I'd give it a try.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 08, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

Legs today

Deadlifts
2x5 155
2x5 160

Rack Pulls
1x10 120

Had to stick the straps on after the first set which drives me mental. Gonna work hard on grip next few months.

What grip are you using? 
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 08, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »

Ok after Harvey calling me out I shall join this merry band.

For those that didn't see in the "Fatties" thread (cannot believe it has not been posted in since October as if I were a betting man I would have bet a lot on some January posts!!) last year I decided I wanted to shift a bit of weight as had gotten a touch big at 85/86kg and I always judge it on how I feel in clothes and wasnt happy, so I started to cut out some of the bad stuff and working out from May-Oct when I went to Malta for a couple of weeks and changed myself from this
 Click to see full-size image.

to this

through a mainly high intensity circuit training 3x per week with a foundation day, stability day and a power day combined with eating well I was in decent shape going into the end of 2015 and took the last couple of months of the year off training and put a bit back on but not a massive amount.

I was also given a bit of a health scare in Nov/Dec where I had suffered from heartburn and a reflux type problem which I had put off for about 15 months and with our 3rd child on the way decided I really needed to get myself checked out so getting referred straight away was slightly worrying.

Anyway I was diagnosed with a multiple hiatus hernia and ulcer from the acid in the relfux with acid coming back up the throat after an Endoscopy (not pleasant at all) so am on a strong 3 month course of drugs which slightly bloat me but seem to be working and whilst I was told not to change too much in my diet I decided to work on eating smaller meals more often so I didnt feel full or get the reflux and therefore my eating now looks something like this.

5.30am Pre gym breakfast of banana and slice of brioche toast with double shot of coffee
7.30am porridge whilst the kids have breakfast
11am either a tin of tuna or some chicken with some fruit
2pm  sweet potato with broccoli and chicken or tuna
4pm fruit and handfull of nuts
7.30pm sweet potato with dinner of meat dish and veg

This seems to be working on the health aspect and as I have been working on a project with Harvey and Sean that I will talk about over the next few weeks in my diary I try to stay within a certain amount of Macros that Harvey has worked out based on the fact I now train 4x per week and walk about 1.5 miles in school runs 5x per week with the kids.

For me boys I wont be trying to lift the heaviest weights and being up there with you as I would imagine my programme is very different and most of my reps are 15-20 with me currently working on a weight that gets me to 15 being nearly failure then working upto 20reps before I up the weight and as each programme is designed for 4 weeks I am monitoring it as I go.

So weeks 1-4 with day 1/3 being the same and 2/4 (for me this is Tues/Weds and then Fri/Sat due to childcare etc) look like this
15-20 reps
1 minute rest between sets completing all set before moving onto next exercise except for super sets

EZ Bicep Curl
DB Bench Press  superset with zero rest into
DB Chest Fly then 1 min rest before back to BP
Tricep Rope Extension
Lat Pull Down
Landmine Bent Over Row (due to space in my gym this has been substituted to bent over DB row)

then Weds & Sat for me are

Platform Split Stance Jump (basically one foot on the ground and the other on a step with a one motion jump changing the legs position mid jump landing on the other etc)
Alternating Lunge  superset with
Plyometric Squat Jump then 1 min rest before back to lunge  (Squat till legs parallel to ground then jump as high as you can twisting in the air so you land the other way round)
Kettleball Swing
Single Arm Kettleball Front Squat (I changed this to DB Squats as the Kettleballs are not heavy enough)

I completed 4/4 sessions last week with legs being the harder days by far and this week I travel to Slovakia for a week on Friday so will get 3 sessions in before I do a maintenance week over there and then kick on again and will post weeks 5-8 program when I get to it but hope to be in even better shape when the baby comes for the newborn shoots I will no doubt be roped into and also for the business launch which kinda goes hand in hand.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »

Decent start to the week for me. Both benches in use this morning so I did incline bench for a change. Managed 100kg for 6 reps which I was really pleased with.

60kg for OHP for 6 reps as well so all looking good.

Haven't decided what I'm going to do about this programme after my holiday. My original plan was to run the upper, lower, upper, lower thing until end of Feb when I go away and then try something different on my return.

I'm really enjoying it though and still making steady gains so it seems silly to worry about making any changes just yet. Any thoughts from you guys on this? Change anyway just for the sake of it or stick with what's working? Seems a no-brainer to me but if there's a solid reason for doing something different I'd give it a try.

Big numbers, crazy crazy progress. Yeah you are mad to change.

Having upper/lower gives you so much flexibility. I will run it for a long time, and I have been hearing good things about full body workouts all the time for advanced athlete to increase training frequency.  I am hearing a few guys are getting great results.

I would just stick to upper/lower though. Change the exercises/rep/sets etc.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 08, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »

Ok after Harvey calling me out I shall join this merry band.

For those that didn't see in the "Fatties" thread (cannot believe it has not been posted in since October as if I were a betting man I would have bet a lot on some January posts!!) last year I decided I wanted to shift a bit of weight as had gotten a touch big at 85/86kg and I always judge it on how I feel in clothes and wasnt happy, so I started to cut out some of the bad stuff and working out from May-Oct when I went to Malta for a couple of weeks and changed myself from this

to this

through a mainly high intensity circuit training 3x per week with a foundation day, stability day and a power day combined with eating well I was in decent shape going into the end of 2015 and took the last couple of months of the year off training and put a bit back on but not a massive amount.

I was also given a bit of a health scare in Nov/Dec where I had suffered from heartburn and a reflux type problem which I had put off for about 15 months and with our 3rd child on the way decided I really needed to get myself checked out so getting referred straight away was slightly worrying.

Anyway I was diagnosed with a multiple hiatus hernia and ulcer from the acid in the relfux with acid coming back up the throat after an Endoscopy (not pleasant at all) so am on a strong 3 month course of drugs which slightly bloat me but seem to be working and whilst I was told not to change too much in my diet I decided to work on eating smaller meals more often so I didnt feel full or get the reflux and therefore my eating now looks something like this.

5.30am Pre gym breakfast of banana and slice of brioche toast with double shot of coffee
7.30am porridge whilst the kids have breakfast
11am either a tin of tuna or some chicken with some fruit
2pm  sweet potato with broccoli and chicken or tuna
4pm fruit and handfull of nuts
7.30pm sweet potato with dinner of meat dish and veg

This seems to be working on the health aspect and as I have been working on a project with Harvey and Sean that I will talk about over the next few weeks in my diary I try to stay within a certain amount of Macros that Harvey has worked out based on the fact I now train 4x per week and walk about 1.5 miles in school runs 5x per week with the kids.

For me boys I wont be trying to lift the heaviest weights and being up there with you as I would imagine my programme is very different and most of my reps are 15-20 with me currently working on a weight that gets me to 15 being nearly failure then working upto 20reps before I up the weight and as each programme is designed for 4 weeks I am monitoring it as I go.

So weeks 1-4 with day 1/3 being the same and 2/4 (for me this is Tues/Weds and then Fri/Sat due to childcare etc) look like this
15-20 reps
1 minute rest between sets completing all set before moving onto next exercise except for super sets

EZ Bicep Curl
DB Bench Press  superset with zero rest into
DB Chest Fly then 1 min rest before back to BP
Tricep Rope Extension
Lat Pull Down
Landmine Bent Over Row (due to space in my gym this has been substituted to bent over DB row)

then Weds & Sat for me are

Platform Split Stance Jump (basically one foot on the ground and the other on a step with a one motion jump changing the legs position mid jump landing on the other etc)
Alternating Lunge  superset with
Plyometric Squat Jump then 1 min rest before back to lunge  (Squat till legs parallel to ground then jump as high as you can twisting in the air so you land the other way round)
Kettleball Swing
Single Arm Kettleball Front Squat (I changed this to DB Squats as the Kettleballs are not heavy enough)

I completed 4/4 sessions last week with legs being the harder days by far and this week I travel to Slovakia for a week on Friday so will get 3 sessions in before I do a maintenance week over there and then kick on again and will post weeks 5-8 program when I get to it but hope to be in even better shape when the baby comes for the newborn shoots I will no doubt be roped into and also for the business launch which kinda goes hand in hand.

Program looks tougher now then when I first saw it.

Just a quick one for anyone viewing Rich's food, I am a huge fan of pick a day you like and go with it. Edit the volume of foods on where you are heading.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »

Legs today

Deadlifts
2x5 155
2x5 160

Rack Pulls
1x10 120

What grip are you using? 

Overhand, I do want to do some OL in the future, so overhand seems a good bet. Can you do an alternate grip with straps? I only even do alternate if I have forgotten my straps, which I rarely do as they are in my bag I take in.

Up to 46kg for 5x8 on one arm rows, will take a lot of confidence grip wise when I get to 50. I should probably do some direct grip training at some point. Used to do deadlift holds a fair bit.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

Overhand, I do want to do some OL in the future, so overhand seems a good bet. Can you do an alternate grip with straps? I only even do alternate if I have forgotten my straps, which I rarely do as they are in my bag I take in.

Up to 46kg for 5x8 on one arm rows, will take a lot of confidence grip wise when I get to 50. I should probably do some direct grip training at some point. Used to do deadlift holds a fair bit.

Course you can, just wrap one of the straps the other way round.

Asking the question suggests that you may not be using your straps correctly...... You should be wrapping your straps under if using an overhand grip and vice versa. The straps then lock against the direction of your fingers.

If you wrap your straps with your fingers you're doing it all kind of wrong.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 08, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »

Asking the question suggests that you may not be using your straps correctly...... You should be wrapping your straps under if using an overhand grip and vice versa. The straps then lock against the direction of your fingers.

As an OL I always use a hook grip for any barbell exercise, I just feel I am in more control.  I also like straps for deadlift and any pull-assistance work.   Straps shouldn't irritate or hurt and sometime shop bought straps are pretty poor quality.  My favourite strap is a Karate belt cut up. 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 08, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »

As an OL I always use a hook grip for any barbell exercise, I just feel I am in more control.  I also like straps for deadlift and any pull-assistance work.   Straps shouldn't irritate or hurt and sometime shop bought straps are pretty poor quality.  My favourite strap is a Karate belt cut up. 

I used to have a set that cut in to my wrists terribly. I didn't use them often but when I did it was hellish. I finally found a set that were quite comfortable and thinking back they would be similar fabric to a martial arts belt. Like that idea.

I haven't used straps for years as I prefer to rely on my grip but understand that when you're lifting the sort of dead lift numbers you talk about you'd probably have to. On the rare occasions I dead lifted I'd be doing 8 reps so not particularly heavy weights at all and easily manageable.

Recently I've been really struggling with my chin ups as my forearm has been injured. Might be that using straps would ease this and let me get back in to them. I hate using straps but if it means I can start doing the exercise again maybe it's time to bite the bullet. Really hate not being able to do chin ups especially with the routine I'm currently doing as I'm sure they'd benefit me hugely.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 08, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »

I use the figure 8 ones.

I was also being kinda facetious. What's the argument for using straps and then going alternate? Maybe power lifters do it when the go raw in comps? 

I am a overhand kinda guy.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 08, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »

Read through posts since I've last been here. Good job guys keep getting them gains 😊

I took a 2 week break recovering from a concussion. Still feel it a little bit. The advice on what to do with one is varied. Complete rest is touted in places but also a progressive return to activity. That's what I have done, last few days I have been jogging, building up to a leg day at the gym tonight which went well. Feel ok. Feel like it will linger for a while though which isnt good.

Quick question. I generally have a rep range of 6-12. I want to know if I should be pushing to failure in that range, or is taking it easier at just shy of failure ok for better toleration (where I could probably do 2 more reps but I will be heavily strained)?

Ta.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 09, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »

Changed my squat technique today to get quite a lot lower than normal. I've not been going past parallel up to now but with my new confidence I thought I'd give it a go.

Only went up to 80kg and only did sets of 6 at that but I was getting much lower than previously. Going to stick to this for now so Harvey can calm down as I'm not going to be catching him up any more.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 09, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »

Read through posts since I've last been here. Good job guys keep getting them gains 😊

I took a 2 week break recovering from a concussion. Still feel it a little bit. The advice on what to do with one is varied. Complete rest is touted in places but also a progressive return to activity. That's what I have done, last few days I have been jogging, building up to a leg day at the gym tonight which went well. Feel ok. Feel like it will linger for a while though which isnt good.

Quick question. I generally have a rep range of 6-12. I want to know if I should be pushing to failure in that range, or is taking it easier at just shy of failure ok for better toleration (where I could probably do 2 more reps but I will be heavily strained)?

Ta.

With the amount of sets you do I doubt you'd be able to hit absolute failure on each and every one. As long as it's difficult for the last rep and you know that there's only one or two more in the tank I can't see a major problem.

If you're leaving two out purely to make the next set easier then it's a bit pointless. Might as well do the extra two while you're there and skip the next set......

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: