blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533957 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 10, 2016, 12:44:08 AM »

Popped into the gym tonight after a late one at the office, I done a few squats and some power jerks off the rack before finishing with high pull clean grips.  Felt OK, my timing was a bit out but that's mostly down to some rust.  I will be able to work on that over the next few weeks before phasing in some comp lifts.   

Alex was in high spirits the team not so much! As a reward for all their excellent work on Saturday they have been rewarded with an adapted squat schedule for 9 weeks.  Ouch!  The initial prep phase is based on 'the soviet' followed by a 3 week phase of 5x5 @ 70%, 80%, 75%. In the 2nd phase each training day will have in addition to the squats a mixture of power snatch, power clean, deadlift, power jerk, OHP, high pulls @ 120%, snatch balances and military press.  After the 3 weeks of assistance speed work they will pick back up on the squat schedule and week 10 will be tapering full comp lifts trebles and doubles at 70%, 80%, 90%, the 2nd week tapering will consist of singles @95%, 90%, 85% week 12 will see new PB attempts in squat, snatch and c&j. 

I might attemp that myself after I have a few weeks training behind me.  The boys have been told to expect a 5% gain on each lift, and that will give us 4 lifters with qualifying totals for European Youths.  Both myself and Alex think we will see bigger gains but with the young guns it's always advisable not to set expectations too high, indeed probably applies to anyone your coaching when people think they have failed they tend to regress. 

I'll try and post some videos of the work.  Not promising though!
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »

Squats tomorrow, not overly looking forward to it. Want 3x5 at 110 which is incredibly inferior to some of the OL numbers that are flying around.

We shall see tomorrow if the confidence comes. I volunteer at the MS/Parkinsons class tomorrow and they normally do leave me with high morale. So could be a saviour.

Good stuff.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 10, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »

Nearly there with the dumbbells

34kg x 8, 40kg x 8, 44kg x 6 & 48kg x 5

Seems to be relatively easy picking them up now which is obviously making the press phase much easier. I'd imagine the squats and RDLs have helped a lot with that as they've got progressively stronger in recent weeks.

Still at 60kg for OHP but more than happy with that. After my holiday I might stick to the same exercises but switch the order so I'm a bit fresher for OHP and see where I can go with those. Be nice to get up to 80kg or so but it seems a long way off...... You never know though......

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 10, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »

Popped into the gym tonight after a late one at the office, I done a few squats and some power jerks off the rack before finishing with high pull clean grips.  Felt OK, my timing was a bit out but that's mostly down to some rust.  I will be able to work on that over the next few weeks before phasing in some comp lifts.   

Alex was in high spirits the team not so much! As a reward for all their excellent work on Saturday they have been rewarded with an adapted squat schedule for 9 weeks.  Ouch!  The initial prep phase is based on 'the soviet' followed by a 3 week phase of 5x5 @ 70%, 80%, 75%. In the 2nd phase each training day will have in addition to the squats a mixture of power snatch, power clean, deadlift, power jerk, OHP, high pulls @ 120%, snatch balances and military press.  After the 3 weeks of assistance speed work they will pick back up on the squat schedule and week 10 will be tapering full comp lifts trebles and doubles at 70%, 80%, 90%, the 2nd week tapering will consist of singles @95%, 90%, 85% week 12 will see new PB attempts in squat, snatch and c&j. 

I might attemp that myself after I have a few weeks training behind me.  The boys have been told to expect a 5% gain on each lift, and that will give us 4 lifters with qualifying totals for European Youths.  Both myself and Alex think we will see bigger gains but with the young guns it's always advisable not to set expectations too high, indeed probably applies to anyone your coaching when people think they have failed they tend to regress. 

Would absolutely love to see some videos.

What is the 5% in reference too? Total over the phase of weekly?

How much influence do you take from Russian coaches/practices?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 10, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »

Nearly there with the dumbbells

34kg x 8, 40kg x 8, 44kg x 6 & 48kg x 5

Seems to be relatively easy picking them up now which is obviously making the press phase much easier. I'd imagine the squats and RDLs have helped a lot with that as they've got progressively stronger in recent weeks.

Still at 60kg for OHP but more than happy with that. After my holiday I might stick to the same exercises but switch the order so I'm a bit fresher for OHP and see where I can go with those. Be nice to get up to 80kg or so but it seems a long way off...... You never know though......

This, switching the order is how I freshen up.

So OHP would be 3x3 one phase, and then 4x8 another, that would align with say Inc Press so it was 4x8 now its 3x3. It is crazy (at least for me) how mentally refreshing it is to work in diff rep ranges etc. So many movements I am just not doing right now because I have been working on the same movements for months (in the attempt to get really good at that movement)

Don't even want to acknowledge the DB's.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 10, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »

5% is the total increase on each comp lift and squat.  These are always our starting point for new schedules.

Not sure we take a great influence solely from Russia, the sport has developed so much over the years.  The 'soviet' squat routine I believe was devised by Smolov (sp) as a 12 or 13 week training programme that over the years has been tweaked by different countries into a 6 week routine.  We have our own variation this time, and the young guys are the trial for it, over the years I remember trying Soviet back to back/ alternating back squat and front squats I know guys who have used it for various exercises simultaneously.  This is the first time I know of we are splitting it and adding in a speed/power cycle yet that seems such a simple idea.

I've heard of and know of lifters coming of the squat programme with increases as much as 40 kg!!!!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 10, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »

5% is the total increase on each comp lift and squat.  These are always our starting point for new schedules.

Not sure we take a great influence solely from Russia, the sport has developed so much over the years.  The 'soviet' squat routine I believe was devised by Smolov (sp) as a 12 or 13 week training programme that over the years has been tweaked by different countries into a 6 week routine.  We have our own variation this time, and the young guys are the trial for it, over the years I remember trying Soviet back to back/ alternating back squat and front squats I know guys who have used it for various exercises simultaneously.  This is the first time I know of we are splitting it and adding in a speed/power cycle yet that seems such a simple idea.

I've heard of and know of lifters coming of the squat programme with increases as much as 40 kg!!!!

Smolov was the one I was thinking of mainly. Yeah I have heard it is amazing. I have it, so not entirely sure why I haven't used it. I think I just need more confidence on the movement itself. I do prefer the front squat, I find it a much more comfortable to do and subsequently have much more confidence with it.

But I have heard huge progress with it, even with advanced lifters.

From my limited knowledge most programs are still based on the fundamentals. But since I am not sure the extent of PEDs I think it can be so dangerous using programs based on enhanced athletes for a natural.

I will definitely take up some more formal powerlifting training at the end of the year/next year.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 10, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »

That's strange man, I've never know anyone to enjoy front squatting.  But each to their own I guess.

Might be worth getting someone to video a squat session, they should be in line with your Hips and it might give you an idea of possible improvements, if anything I'd expect the F/S to be more uncomfortable  as you require greater shoullder flexibility to make the exercise comfortable.   

I wouldn't be put off doing the soviet on the basis that it's designed for strength athletes.   It can be used by anyone, gains can be massive and you will probably look like John Wayne without his horse after a few work outs particularly on week 4 when I think 6 x 6 comes into play.   I've used it with a few walk-ins after a few months of training as they feel they have greater potential for squatting but feel the more standardised work-outs aren't pushing them and they are cruising it. 

If you do attempt it on your first one I'd be weary of doing any other leg work until you come to grips with it.  But as a leg work out on it's own even for a non competitive lifter it's hard to beat.   If starting out with a normal gym body I'd go Soviet x3/ Upper Body circuit either once or twice per week depending on how often they want to train.  I'd also work in some calf-raises, as many people underestimate how important strong calfs are to a great squat.(this is also an excellent way of getting prepared for the bigger gains off the squat at the end of the schedule as your body has already overcome the shock of holding much heavier weight, I like to do calf raises before squats for the same reason.  ie if I have Joe Bloggs qho squats a 100kg for a 1RM then I wan't hm doing calf raises with say 120 - 130kg, if I have him  doing 2 x 6 at 85% of that when I have him squatting 80% of 100kg thats a difference of 22kg min to come off his back,  The psychological benefit there can be massive to a lifter.  It's an area I feel a lot of PT's let their customers down on, they don't thnk the order through of exercises.     

I'd also do lots of ankle/hip mobility work if anyone felt uncomfortable in back squat and if they felt it in the front squat I'd be working on shoulder flexibility.   
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 10, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »

I'd also do lots of ankle/hip mobility work if anyone felt uncomfortable in back squat and if they felt it in the front squat I'd be working on shoulder flexibility.   

Anything in particular that you'd recommend for ankle/hip mobility? Mainly ankles for me tbh. They feel like I just need to break them both and start again!!

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:10 PM »

That's strange man, I've never know anyone to enjoy front squatting.  But each to their own I guess.

Might be worth getting someone to video a squat session, they should be in line with your Hips and it might give you an idea of possible improvements, if anything I'd expect the F/S to be more uncomfortable  as you require greater shoullder flexibility to make the exercise comfortable.   

I wouldn't be put off doing the soviet on the basis that it's designed for strength athletes.   It can be used by anyone, gains can be massive and you will probably look like John Wayne without his horse after a few work outs particularly on week 4 when I think 6 x 6 comes into play.   I've used it with a few walk-ins after a few months of training as they feel they have greater potential for squatting but feel the more standardised work-outs aren't pushing them and they are cruising it. 

If you do attempt it on your first one I'd be weary of doing any other leg work until you come to grips with it.  But as a leg work out on it's own even for a non competitive lifter it's hard to beat.   If starting out with a normal gym body I'd go Soviet x3/ Upper Body circuit either once or twice per week depending on how often they want to train.  I'd also work in some calf-raises, as many people underestimate how important strong calfs are to a great squat.(this is also an excellent way of getting prepared for the bigger gains off the squat at the end of the schedule as your body has already overcome the shock of holding much heavier weight, I like to do calf raises before squats for the same reason.  ie if I have Joe Bloggs qho squats a 100kg for a 1RM then I wan't hm doing calf raises with say 120 - 130kg, if I have him  doing 2 x 6 at 85% of that when I have him squatting 80% of 100kg thats a difference of 22kg min to come off his back,  The psychological benefit there can be massive to a lifter.  It's an area I feel a lot of PT's let their customers down on, they don't thnk the order through of exercises.     

Shoulder flexibility has come on so much last 6 months. I think I have more confidence in the hole in a FS as opposed to back as opposed to discomfort.

I think its really interesting talking about order of exercises. In terms of physical to psychological benefit.

I would never fatigue the calf pre squat? Or am I reading what you are saying wrong? If I am reading it right, you are saying do calf raises at a heavier weight so it feels light on the back?

I used to get a few people doing partials before a 3x3 or 5x5 but it just fatigued their quads. All of them inexperienced lifters, so I could be convinced it fatigued their mind.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 10, 2016, 06:13:35 PM »

Got 3x5 pretty easily today.

Had to take the leg press down though from 200 to 180 after two sets. Just couldn't get the depth.

Enjoying it though, just need to keep focused.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »

Anything in particular that you'd recommend for ankle/hip mobility? Mainly ankles for me tbh. They feel like I just need to break them both and start again!!

If only that was an option?  There are a few things that can be done.  I'll see if I can find anything useful online to give you an idea.

2 things that are easy to explain that we do is we have a slope in the gym - almost like a small ramp.   Firstly heels on the high end sit into a squat position and try any get your knee as far over your toe as possible.   Some people find it easier doing it one foot at a time.  Your probably getting a similar benefit with a plate under your heels only you have less resistance.   Probably do it a few times then chance with toes pointing up.  Change position again going down the way and you will probably notice a slight difference straight away.  Doing this over a period of time increases flexibility.   

Dorsiflexion is often used, can do this by facing a walltoes slightly away from the wally use arms to suport upper-body and push the knee over the toes again.   

Another great place to work on ankle flexibility is the swimming pool.   Squatting in the pool, doing a variety of stretches to get the knee over the toes. 

Cossack Squats are also good, I believe they are based on Russian dance moves. These are probably better for maintaining ankle flexibility in truth. 

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 10, 2016, 09:14:47 PM »

I think its really interesting talking about order of exercises. In terms of physical to psychological benefit.

I would never fatigue the calf pre squat? Or am I reading what you are saying wrong? If I am reading it right, you are saying do calf raises at a heavier weight so it feels light on the back?

You'd normally expect the calf raise to be able to be completed at a higher weight than a squat.   Assuming they have been done at the same time as squats, as I said many people forget how important a strong calf is to a good squat, I think you can always tell the guys in the gym fairly easily who neglect the calves.  So longs as you have trained the muscle properly over time, I'd say as long as you were working at the correct % of 1RM I'd contend you shouldn't be causing fatique especially not if it's the first exercise.  It's also a fairly easy exercise to do after a good warm up/stretch.   Additionally, if we're doing squats and following Soviet, ideally we wouldn't be overworking the other major musle groups.   Granted this becomeseasier over a period of time.   As well as helping the squat, its amazing how much improvement you see in standing presses, jerks etc when you are working the calf. 
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 10, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »

You'd normally expect the calf raise to be able to be completed at a higher weight than a squat.   Assuming they have been done at the same time as squats, as I said many people forget how important a strong calf is to a good squat, I think you can always tell the guys in the gym fairly easily who neglect the calves.  So longs as you have trained the muscle properly over time, I'd say as long as you were working at the correct % of 1RM I'd contend you shouldn't be causing fatique especially not if it's the first exercise.  It's also a fairly easy exercise to do after a good warm up/stretch.   Additionally, if we're doing squats and following Soviet, ideally we wouldn't be overworking the other major musle groups.   Granted this becomeseasier over a period of time.   As well as helping the squat, its amazing how much improvement you see in standing presses, jerks etc when you are working the calf. 

I see your point, I just think it is so person dependant, you are working with elite athlete. I am not one for sticking up for the average PT as I think the standard is so poor, but I think you have to be careful when talking about right/wrong ideas. I think James Keys said this to me about poker 'you can argue anything is good in a vacuum'. Everything is person dependant.

Totally agree that calves are huge for a squat, speshly with a full depth squat. But many of the people that come to see me, are new to squats, so just squatting improves their caves. Do they need to isolate? I would say no. I think their time could be better spend. I.e. do 95% compounds, I am trying to think of an isolation I use to hand and can't think of one.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 10, 2016, 09:27:55 PM »

Absolutely love the debate and different viewpoints, so hopefully I am not coming across too confrontational. So please counter act me etc.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: