blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530771 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: October 23, 2019, 03:48:52 PM »

I'm really enjoying my new programme although it feels strange lifting so light on bench day.

I got up to 102.5kg today for a set of 10 which was pretty good as I haven't done a 'working' set of ten for as long as I can remember. Haven't been above that weight now for 4 weeks so next week when I have to work up to a 4rm will be interesting. A few weeks back I managed 130kg for a triple so I'd hope for 120kg minimum for 4. Will see how that one goes.

I've been doing the same programme for squats, deadlift and OHP all of which have been fun. I really don't like squats and deadlift so having a set programme to work to has helped with motivation where I'd often just quit. Hopefully I'll make a few reasonable gains over the next 16 weeks. I class myself as a newbie for squat and deadlift so there is lots of potential for improvement.

I rarely stray above 100kg for 6 as i have no spotter.. dont think its a great bench weight.suppose i could 1 rep 120.. one of the workouts that involves bench is just a 60kg bar but 15-1 reps with situps for time.. so 15 bench reps followed by 15 sit ups then 14 bench ..14 situp and so on down to 1.. think my best is 13.02 so far.

If you don't regularly go heavy you'd need a few weeks to work up to 120kg I would imagine. It should be easy enough given that you can do 100 for 6 but unless your body is prepared for the extra load you won't have much chance if you just throw it in as a random.

It's similar for me switching to higher reps having spent months doing triples and singles. First few weeks are tough but then it'll get easier as I won't fatigue as much.

Volume for my new programme on 'light' day means getting 24 reps out in whatever way you see fit. Could be 4 x 6, 3 x 8, 2 x 12 or even 1 x 24 but it's at 65% of whatever your 10 rep max effort set was so gets very light.

That means dropping down to 67.5kg and just going for it. Somehow managed to get all 24 knocked out in one set but the last few were a grind. Felt an incredible pump afterwards which is always nice.

The 15 through to 1 bench / sit up thing sounds good. Might give that a go one day and see what time I could manage. 13 minutes doesn't sound too bad but I imagine it gets pretty tough

Is the 60kg based on your weight or is it the same for fatties as well? I'm weighing about 105kg and my mate is about 117kg. I barely think he'd notice 60kg, he did his one set of 24 at 82.5kg with a bit in the tank.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: October 24, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »

60kg... is the weight ..its a negligable weight even for me. However will get your heart going benching then situps as fast as you can.. be surprised at how heavy 60kg can be for high repping with situps thrown in Smiley

Being really strong isnt particulary relevant as its a cardio/ strength kind of workout and you may fatigue quick

remember thats 120 reps of each .. 240 total Smiley

Make crossfitters out of you yet looool
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:37:34 PM by the sicilian » Logged

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: October 24, 2019, 04:56:48 PM »

60kg... is the weight ..its a negligable weight even for me. However will get your heart going benching then situps as fast as you can.. be surprised at how heavy 60kg can be for high repping with situps thrown in Smiley

Being really strong isnt particulary relevant as its a cardio/ strength kind of workout and you may fatigue quick

I can imagine it's pretty hellish by the 6th round to be honest. I'm genuinely not sure I could do it at all although I guess if there's no time limit....... Cramping up during the sit ups is probably the biggest potential stumbling block. There's a chance I can't physically continue if that happens.

My cardio is terrible but has improved a tiny bit recently by doing more reps at everything. I'm not saying it's good, just not as bad as it was.

See how it goes if I get round to having a shot. I'm cutting at the moment and not aiming heavy so don't mind this sort of thing to burn a few calories. We have a low volume day on Saturday so it should be possible to have a go although we'd be taking it in turns so the time would be down to whoever was slowest of the two of us.

Any guesses?

I reckon I could get it done in under 20 minutes but not 100% convinced. My mate is heavier than me but he's a former semi-pro boxer and has a bit of a competitive streak so if anything I'll most likely be the one doing the holding up.

104.5kg, 44 year old lifelong cardio dodger......

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: October 25, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »

I can imagine it's pretty hellish by the 6th round to be honest. I'm genuinely not sure I could do it at all although I guess if there's no time limit....... Cramping up during the sit ups is probably the biggest potential stumbling block. There's a chance I can't physically continue if that happens.

My cardio is terrible but has improved a tiny bit recently by doing more reps at everything. I'm not saying it's good, just not as bad as it was.

See how it goes if I get round to having a shot. I'm cutting at the moment and not aiming heavy so don't mind this sort of thing to burn a few calories. We have a low volume day on Saturday so it should be possible to have a go although we'd be taking it in turns so the time would be down to whoever was slowest of the two of us.

Any guesses?

I reckon I could get it done in under 20 minutes but not 100% convinced. My mate is heavier than me but he's a former semi-pro boxer and has a bit of a competitive streak so if anything I'll most likely be the one doing the holding up.

104.5kg, 44 year old lifelong cardio dodger......

Hahaha nice one... beauty of it is  theres no time limit and you set times to try and beat Smiley

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: October 25, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »

Hahaha nice one... beauty of it is  theres no time limit and you set times to try and beat Smiley

So I tried a few sit ups tonight whilst I was doing my cool down stretching.....

Did a set of 15, not too bad.

Second set of 15 was a real struggle towards the end. I somehow think another 90 reps would've been pushing it somewhat.

Admittedly this was at the end of a reasonably tough session but still I expected a few more than 30. To be fair I could've done a few more but I went sensible and stopped. There were little cramp like twinges as I got up so definitely best.

I think a week of these during my cool down to take the edge off and I think I'll be ready for a shot at the full thing. Might try a toned down version on my nights off at home with press ups and sit ups.

Won't be going for it tomorrow that's for sure. Pretty sure I'd die.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: October 25, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »

Great deadlift session tonight on the new programme. Worked up to a 6RM at 120kg which was quite a bit more than I was expecting. I only got 120kg for my 4RM two weeks ago so a big improvement.

Finished with 2 x 8 at 90kg which were relatively easy.

Volume seems to be paying off but it's very early days. This programme works really well for my squat and deadlift. I've always really struggled with both so having a fixed target helps to keep me focused and ensures I get the work done.

Gunning for Arby and his 200kg........ 

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: October 26, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »

My Dead lift is terrible.. im having work on my hip hinge technique as ive had issues with things like kettle bell swings and dumbell snatch.. bad technique is putting pressure on my lower back ..same with deadlift.. workouts with lots of reps where you fatigue too and lose technique.. i dont go much above 120 for deadlift..ive been up to 150..

One big thing the PT has been working on is my stretching and mobility.. have noticed a significant change in my range of motion which helps with workout movements.. i suppose it goes with age too but even for young people its important to stretch those muscles etc

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: October 26, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »

I have the 15-1 bench/situp scheduled for tomorrow as part of a strength/cardio workout..going to be mainly upper body..need to lay of legs for a few days.. been lots of squat and burpee type stuff this week.. my quads are on fire

Going at it fresh looking for sub 13 minutes Smiley

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: October 28, 2019, 10:48:58 AM »

Killed the 15-1 bench for a new PB of 11.33.. good stretch session then into it fresh.. was even surprised myself Smiley

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: October 28, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »

Killed the 15-1 bench for a new PB of 11.33.. good stretch session then into it fresh.. was even surprised myself Smiley

Pretty solid that mate. I'm not even ready to try it yet, no point until I can do at least 5 sets of 15 sit ups without cramping. I'll do a few tonight and see how they go.

It was a test day on my light block on Saturday which meant sets of 4 for as many as possible. Despite not going above 110kg for maybe 5 or 6 weeks I still managed 130kg although I needed a very light spot on the last one.

Considering I've never done more than 3 reps at 130kg that's really good so I'm very happy. It's a long programme 'til I hit the singles again but confidence is high at the moment for a shot at a possible PB when it finally comes round.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: November 03, 2019, 11:35:22 AM »

All looking good so far on the new programme. Got up to 115kg for a set of 7 on bench yesterday which I was really happy with. At the start of the year I wasn't even doing triples at that weight so huge progress.

Squats and dead lifts are coming along slowly but surely. They've always been a weakness for me and I usually hurt myself but for now they seem very good by my standards.

Best squat has been 90kg for a set of 4, best dead lift 120kg for a set of 6. Both felt good with no back pain and I'm hoping the increased volume will help push the numbers. I'd like to get to somewhere around 200kg for deadlift and 120kg for squat but we'll see how that goes. It should be possible as I'm effectively a newbie at both lifts so there's plenty of untapped potential.

Medium level 4 week block has just started which means sets of 9, 7, 5 or 3. Slightly lower volume than the light block but not vastly different so will be good to see what happens with the numbers.

BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: November 05, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »

Just had a browse on this thread some great tips and strategies... Thanks fellas

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: December 08, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »

All seems very quiet around here at the moment. How's everybody getting on?

I got back from a few days in Vegas on Monday and expected to suffer a bit but have been surprisingly strong. I guess it was just enough of a break to rest but not too much to lose any strength.

I got up to 120kg for my 6RM which is a PB so really happy with that. I have a 2RM in three weeks which I'd really like to get 140kg on the bar for an attempt and then a further 4 weeks to a 1RM. My main goal for the 1RM is to make sure I at least equal my PB but it'll all depend how I feel on the day. It's going to be interesting to see how this programme has affected strength by the end but we're already liking it enough to run it through again for at least one more block of 16 weeks next year.

OHP is still going strong. Deadlifts are meh.... Pushed it too much a few weeks ago and messed myself up for nearly two weeks. Stupid!!

Any updates from elsewhere?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: December 09, 2019, 09:01:07 PM »

I'm in Vegas now, and followed your trip with Stu Cheesy

Trained pretty solidly up until I left, but was using myfitnesspal for amusement rather than following my 2k guidelines.

16 1/2 stone when I left, so see how I get on with lots of eating and not much drinking.

Might be moving gyms when I get back to one ~20miles away, as it has lots of equipment I'll be able to use alone, and my trainer is moving there as he can earn almost double his hourly rate at this place.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: December 10, 2019, 01:37:03 PM »

Did stoptober drink wise and went most of November as well without a drink.   Cut down massively drink wise now and lost over 2 stone since start of October whilst still training but haven't made any strength gains at all in this time (banging out the same on most areas but chest has got a little weaker which is annoying).    Most of the weight loss is body fat as well from the advanced scales at the gym which measure that side of things.   Feel pretty weak dieting though when it comes to training which isn't ideal but i suppose its normal just something i am not used to.  Going to keep this going for the rest of the winter til end of March and see what the total weight loss will be hoping to get down to sub 17 stone.   Currently 18 stone 10 which is the lowest i have been for ages and i haven't been sub 18 stone for well over a decade.   Fingers crossed that should happen soon after the new year.

Will keep you all updated!
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: