blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533974 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: May 03, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »

Thor on the live stream going for 501kg deadlift.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mng5v3OEzA

Mega impressive.  He must be gutted there won't be a WSM this year in that sort of shape.  Deadlift isn't even his strong area!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: May 03, 2020, 11:55:49 PM »

Saw that yesterday. Mental!

Luke Tomas livestreamed it, and reckons Thor has loads more in the tank.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: May 04, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »

Looked like he had another 20kg or so to me for sure. Incredible lift and barely slowed down.

I think having no WSM this year helped him hit this record as he was able to focus entirely on it. As soon as WSM got cancelled he made it his whole mission and stopped all of his WSM event training.

Don't think I've ever seen him look so big..... Ridiculous!!

If he had a strongman event to do I think he'd be dropping quite a lot of weight so may have found the deadlift a bit tougher.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: May 04, 2020, 11:04:50 AM »

Looked like he had another 20kg or so to me for sure. Incredible lift and barely slowed down.

I think having no WSM this year helped him hit this record as he was able to focus entirely on it. As soon as WSM got cancelled he made it his whole mission and stopped all of his WSM event training.

Don't think I've ever seen him look so big..... Ridiculous!!

If he had a strongman event to do I think he'd be dropping quite a lot of weight so may have found the deadlift a bit tougher.

Did watch it, also saw a side by side of Eddie's 500 against Thor's. Thor was definitely quicker, but from the footage he was releasing before, I did think it would go up even quicker. Not sure if 520 was there, especially since he didn't go for it. I can understand why he would want to wait another 6-12 months to build it up more and do it in an actual competition. But, knowing what it did to Eddie, surprised he would want to put is body through that again. I would have thought if he thought he could do it, he would've jumped at the chance at a 520. As you say too, not sure he would be able to win WSM and DL 520, so know seemed the best time to do it. I am pretty sure he wants to get multiple WSM, and if he is going to box Eddie, thats more time out of the schedule.

I can't believe the size he's put on over the last 2-3 years. I'm not sure how much more he can put on without long term risk.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: May 04, 2020, 11:10:49 AM »

Amazing when you are a freak of nature and get your head down and stop making films in your peak years what happens!   Eddie doesn't have any right genetically being in the same ball park as Thor and its good to see Thor obviously taking the game seriously nowadays and wanting to set a legacy and get up there with the all time greats of the game.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: May 04, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »

Amazing when you are a freak of nature and get your head down and stop making films in your peak years what happens!   Eddie doesn't have any right genetically being in the same ball park as Thor and its good to see Thor obviously taking the game seriously nowadays and wanting to set a legacy and get up there with the all time greats of the game.

Obviously a bit early to say, but would be quite shocked if he didn't have the record WSM by the end. I guess the money from doing other stuff may take over, like with Eddie, but he seems as strong or stronger than any static lifter, and other than maybe Tom Stoltman, the best mobile athlete. Be really interesting to see if he goes for 520 in the future. There is the guy that failed 500 a few months back that intends to go for a WR so maybe is he gets close, Thor will want a definitive lead.

I do think Eddie played it perfectly. He was unlikely to ever win multiple, he clearly put his body through a lot, and he seems to have TV contracts left and right.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: May 04, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »

Obviously a bit early to say, but would be quite shocked if he didn't have the record WSM by the end. I guess the money from doing other stuff may take over, like with Eddie, but he seems as strong or stronger than any static lifter, and other than maybe Tom Stoltman, the best mobile athlete. Be really interesting to see if he goes for 520 in the future. There is the guy that failed 500 a few months back that intends to go for a WR so maybe is he gets close, Thor will want a definitive lead.

I do think Eddie played it perfectly. He was unlikely to ever win multiple, he clearly put his body through a lot, and he seems to have TV contracts left and right.

Eddie must be making a few quid off youtube videos as well. He's just recently gone over 1M subscribers having only really started taking it seriously in the last year. Quite a few of his videos hit half a million views so he'll definitely be making a living from it.

Thor is absolutely phenomenal. Probably would've won last year were it not for an injury and has missed out by the odd point a couple of times.

Really can't see who can stop him for the next few years but it's such a fine line when you're at the pinnacle of any sport you never know.

It's getting more popular now as well so possibly more people will get interested whih may give him some competition.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: May 04, 2020, 05:20:06 PM »

Well, here's his response Cheesy

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: May 04, 2020, 06:15:35 PM »

Eddie must be making a few quid off youtube videos as well. He's just recently gone over 1M subscribers having only really started taking it seriously in the last year. Quite a few of his videos hit half a million views so he'll definitely be making a living from it.

Thor is absolutely phenomenal. Probably would've won last year were it not for an injury and has missed out by the odd point a couple of times.

Really can't see who can stop him for the next few years but it's such a fine line when you're at the pinnacle of any sport you never know.

It's getting more popular now as well so possibly more people will get interested whih may give him some competition.

He is perfect for tv/media.   Being a one time WSM doesn't really matter imo.  He could be the biggest earner out of all of them just because of his style/arrogance/britishness.   He just appeals to the underdog which is the masses.  I still remember him as a £50 a night doorman on boozer doors in Newcastle under lyme way back in the day.   He was fucking massive then!  Scary as he wasn't even 20 stone then supposedly!   I'll never forget the first time i saw him when he was a total nobody then just how freaky big he was for someone so young.

Thor is a totally different animal though and could really take the whole strong man game to the masses because of GoT.  He makes the 5 time WSM Mario look like a smurf. Hard to believe Brian Shaw could be made to look small but 2020 Thor does that.  Big Z even seems tiny.   The game never stops evolving.   He is very similar to the NBA's Shaq 20 years ago imo.   Total freak of nature and got a great personality to engage with people who don't like strongman.   His new missus seems to be helping him.  Baby thor on the way. 
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: May 04, 2020, 07:44:42 PM »

I think he is pretty good, I think he is getting better too. I occasionally flick through his YouTube and he does seem to be less Carl Froch arrogant and a bit more playfully arrogant now. Not sure if he has had any training or anything but he seems way better on camera now, a lot less in your face/need to prove himself. Don't think we can take away just how much he blew that WR out of the water when he did it. I remember watching the 465 and it was a fucking speed rep. I think he has done insane, he probably should/could have won more. But an undefeated WSM and the first man to reach 500 is one hell of a CV.

I am with you on Thor, its freakish how athletic he is, and the size he has put on is astounded. Slightly scared for him, but assume he has the right people behind the scenes. Like you say, he has 100% evolved the sport. I do think he is also getting much much better on camera. But he seems to take the whole thing very seriously with his team, not just the sport but the marketing/financials/brand etc.

Rumour has it they have signed for 2021 right? Be really strange to see Thor take a year out to train for it. I assume there is now way he can do both. He has 5/6 inches on Eddie right? And I assume a much long reach so you would have thought if they did box it would be a very weird spectacle (obviously watching). Interesting to see how family life changes things, I imagine right now everything in his life revolves around him. Was it Brain that said how difficult it was to juggle both?

Luke Stoltman is scheduled to take on the log WR, if he does that, I think thats a close to equal achievement. That WR has stood for a long long time.

I do hope WSM gets some huge investment, I have said for years just how underrated they are. I think since they are SO much stronger its hard to comprehend. I honestly can't even imagine having 300kg in my hands. I think my PB rack pull was 240 and the skin stayed on the bar. If there was a Marius type physique now it would help so much for the show. I am rooting for Tom S to get stronger as physically he has that bodybuilding look which I think will help so much to catch attention.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:46 AM »

watched the behind the scenes video building up to the attempt.. had to chuckle when the cameraman announces they are observing social distance rules whilst pointing the camera at 4 of them standing next to each other Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: May 05, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »

Cheers for posting Marky.  Quality video from Eddie as usual.   Typical stokie hard as fuck.   I think he is going to destroy thor on fitness/engine and will drop down to probably 22 stone.  Anyone got any prices up yet?  I would make Eddie a very short price tbh to win this.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: May 05, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »

Cheers for posting Marky.  Quality video from Eddie as usual.   Typical stokie hard as fuck.   I think he is going to destroy thor on fitness/engine and will drop down to probably 22 stone.  Anyone got any prices up yet?  I would make Eddie a very short price tbh to win this.

You think? Thor is a freak, I know from the video comparisons that are to date Eddie does look somewhat the 'better boxer'. But surely Thor is favourite?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: May 05, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »

You think? Thor is a freak, I know from the video comparisons that are to date Eddie does look somewhat the 'better boxer'. But surely Thor is favourite?

I can see it being a horrible thing to watch. Hopefully they keep it sporting but I can imagine it degenerating in to a scrap between two immovable monsters unless all the talk is just posturing for the views. It's highly likely they're actually great mates but are cashing in on this 'rivalry' and who could blame them. There seemed to be a rivalry between Thor and Shaw until a recent video interview they did together on YouTube which showed they really don't dislike each other at all.

Lot's of collabs going on in the strongman world at the moment on YouTube so I really wouldn't be surprised if this isn't just a gimmick.

Don't think Eddie will 'destroy' Thor on fitness at all. Maybe if Thor stays at 32st he will but I can't imagine him doing that.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: May 05, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »

Coach Greg agrees, Arb.

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: