blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530822 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3900 on: March 28, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »

153 is amazing.  Topside of 180 for your mate is brutal.  Is he clean?

Yeah he's natural but weighs in at 130kg so an absolute monster. He's carrying a fair amount of fat but he also packs in a lot of muscle.

He's got a 240kg squat PR as well which is insane.

It's going to be interesting when we get back to the gym. The set up I have is nowhere near as good for lifting heavy so it should translate to a fair bit more once we're on the better bench.

As a rough guide I'd got to benching 127.5kg for an unspotted, confident 3 sets of 5 at the gym before the latest lockdown at the end of December. In my home gym I can just about scrape 3 sets of 4 at 128kg 3 months later weighing more and having trained like a mad man during that time.

Feels to me like 160kg would be possible at the gym which would be beyond belief although to be honest my goal is actually to be able to get 5 reps at 3 plates.

To be fair everything we've done since lockdown has been targeting bench so it's not surprising that we've progressed. We get lots of volume in and also we do tricep press every day which is helping a lot.

We're training 4 times per week and every session I'm getting 128kg on the bar for at least a couple of sets with Saturday being a bit more.

We move straight on to narrow bench afterwards and I'm up to 10 reps at 108kg which is definitely helping bench. I used to max out at 80kg for the same rep range when I was doing them once per week so the difference is huge.

Biggest difference I've noticed is how solid the bar feels now when I un-rack. My forearms, wrists and elbows feel absolutely locked solid like pillars under the bar whereas before there would be movement at anything above 130kg. The confidence that gives mentally is worth 10kg in my opinion. I've un-racked 140kg in the past and felt defeated as soon as I've felt the weight. Now it just sits there solid waiting for me to decide when to descend.

I'm putting that down to the volume and arm work. I feel like I've always had the chest strength but now all the other little muscles that play an important role have caught up so can do their bit when it comes to a max. There's doesn't seem to be a weak link in the chain right now Smiley

Next target is 1.5x bodyweight..... I'm 106kg at the moment so it's either hit 159kg or drop my bodyweight and try to maintain the 153kg press...

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: March 28, 2021, 05:51:43 PM »

Hey Matt, awesome figures on the bench.
How are you finding your joints etc holding up being in your 40s as opposed to your 20s? Any injury concerns?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: March 28, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »

Hey Matt, awesome figures on the bench.
How are you finding your joints etc holding up being in your 40s as opposed to your 20s? Any injury concerns?

I'm an absolute wreck mate..... Currently going through a spell of low pain in the upper body which is nice but my lower body, hips especially are really giving me grief.

I do quite a lot of foam rolling especially around the elbows which helps a lot. Regular physio as well.....

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: April 13, 2021, 09:02:16 AM »

Lots of doms this morning but worth it as always.

Lifted ~65-75% of previous maxes which feels about right given time off.

Easy re-introduction week and then will get back on to a programme next and up the calories/protein.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: April 13, 2021, 02:40:05 PM »

I

HATE

DOMS

Nothing major to report over the last few months, but started out the same as last time we got out of lockdown. Not particularly loving it yet, but its great to be back.

Looking forward to catching up and reading up on everyone else!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: April 13, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »

Lol. I've not missed a training day so thought I'd be fine...... How wrong could I have been...

Smashed my bench PR recently and I've never felt stronger but a few rear delt and side lateral raises has completely f**ked me.

Felt pretty strong with them so just did my usual weights and today the tops of my arms were bad enough that I've had to take a day off. Just shows that you really can't neglect any body part as it will drop back.

Great to be back though and really looking forward to getting on the bench

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: April 14, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »

First bench day at the gym today and I can really see a huge difference in strength from before Christmas

Obviously it's a different set up so will take a bit of getting used to but even so I did 3 easy enough sets of 5 at 120kg then finished off with 15 reps at 100kg

I've done the 120+ before but never got as high as 15 for 100 so there's a big gain somewhere.

The bar felt ridiculously light even at 120 and with the much better bench I reckon there's some good stuff to come.

One thing I really noticed was glute engagement. This was zero on my home set up but I actually cramped up a couple of times today. Weird to think that you'd get more pain in your glutes than your chest benching.....

Anyway that just shows that the leg drive has been completely absent which is worth a few kgs on its own. The benches are nice and wide as well as being super grippy so again that's worth a few kgs.

We haven't got any 1RM stuff planned but I reckon I've got a shot at 3 plates for possibly as many as 5..... Watch this space.....

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: April 14, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »

Good to be back !.. Trainer yesterday.. big aerobic engine workout today..barbell with the trainer tmmr and more engine building.. last two months been tough ..motivation low..managed to keep a semblance of fitness.. done some thrusters in a workout yesterday and they felt heavy lol..

Gym was a bit quiet but i was in early for a change..will see what the numbers are like saturday and sunday

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: April 14, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »

I'm going Monday, once I've been able to get into the barbers, and just been to hospital to get juiced up this afternoon.

Hoping the first week will get rid of the facebook/twitter check-in mob, and be back to quiet afternoons next week.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: April 17, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »

First week in the books done.

Bench is amazing me but leg day is cancelled until my job walking around all day finishes at end of the month. My thighs were like granite midweek and I was concerned I had done some real damage but thankfully it has slowly faded with some tlc

Weighed in ~77kg all week - would like to clean(ish) bulk but as a natural fattie I am very concerned about starting this process.

Both gyms I've been to were surprisingly quiet - anyone else found this?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: April 17, 2021, 06:49:35 PM »

Bench is amazing me but leg day is cancelled until my job walking around all day finishes at end of the month. My thighs were like granite midweek and I was concerned I had done some real damage but thankfully it has slowly faded with some tlc

Weighed in ~77kg all week - would like to clean(ish) bulk but as a natural fattie I am very concerned about starting this process.

My place was rammed on Monday but it has just had a big refurb and dished out some special offers so that may have contributed to the numbers. Seems to have quietened down through the week a bit though.

Got to be very careful with bulking if you've never done it before. Do you know your maintenance calories? Do you even count your calories?

To bulk you only need to be in a slight calorie surplus. A lean bulk would be 200 to 300 calories max surplus per day. That could feasibly add 1kg per month which may not sound much but any more and I can guarantee the gain is fat not muscle.

Search "greg doucette bulking diet" on YouTube for some of the best info there is.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: April 18, 2021, 11:56:28 AM »

First week back into it..today will be my 5th session of the week... My PT's gym is very busy the local Lloyds pretty quiet.

Been tough this week... PT has a new 8 week programme in place and its been tough.. strength and fitness both down but shouldnt take too long to get back to it

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »

My place was rammed on Monday but it has just had a big refurb and dished out some special offers so that may have contributed to the numbers. Seems to have quietened down through the week a bit though.

Got to be very careful with bulking if you've never done it before. Do you know your maintenance calories? Do you even count your calories?

To bulk you only need to be in a slight calorie surplus. A lean bulk would be 200 to 300 calories max surplus per day. That could feasibly add 1kg per month which may not sound much but any more and I can guarantee the gain is fat not muscle.

Search "greg doucette bulking diet" on YouTube for some of the best info there is.

I don't count calories religiously anymore but I did 3-4 years ago weighing ingredients when I was first losing weight and unlearning everything I knew previously about diet and nutrition. My maintenance is ~2600.

Yep definitely only need a little surplus so mostly a matter of a few extra eggs at breakfast and full fat milk in the protein shakes should cover it.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: April 20, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »

I don't count calories religiously anymore but I did 3-4 years ago weighing ingredients when I was first losing weight and unlearning everything I knew previously about diet and nutrition. My maintenance is ~2600.

Yep definitely only need a little surplus so mostly a matter of a few extra eggs at breakfast and full fat milk in the protein shakes should cover it.

A drizzle of olive oil on any meal that will take it is a great way to boost calories. Probably easier on the stomach than full fat milk and probably healthier.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: April 22, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »

Olive oil is a great shout, a mate of mine has an olive oil business in Greece and produces top quality stuff.

I have a 5 litre tin in my kitchen - 41,000 calories!!!
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: