blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533973 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: January 05, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »

Felt only marginally weaker today.  Chest and biceps.   Did 36kg dumbells x 8 reps flat and 32kg x 8 incline for three sets.  i went slightly lighter than pre xmas but did more reps.  After doing that i went back to 100% of pre xmas for chest accessory exercises with no issue at all.   Biceps were identical to pre xmas and no drop off at all.   Felt super strong and well rested.  Back and triceps tomorrow will report back then.

You have any strength goals or just focussing on the weight side?

Where do you think you could get with the dumbbells? Seem to recall you getting in to the 40s fairly recently?

My pressing is as strong as it's ever been but it's my primary focus so it should be.

Been today and hit 130kg for 4 with a fair bit left in the tank on flat bench followed by 2 sets of 8 at 50kg for incline dumbbells.

DB shoulder press are up to 40kg for 8 and I think that's really helping as an accessory to the chest work. Makes sense really as I'd neglected shoulder pressing for a long while due to injury worries every time I went heavy. Really nice to able to use a taxing weight without thinking I'm going to f**k my shoulder up.

Ultimate goal for me is 3 plates for 5 reps on bench but this is a long long way off. Got to keep plugging away at it though.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: January 05, 2022, 12:06:08 PM »

Felt only marginally weaker today.  Chest and biceps.   Did 36kg dumbells x 8 reps flat and 32kg x 8 incline for three sets.  i went slightly lighter than pre xmas but did more reps.  After doing that i went back to 100% of pre xmas for chest accessory exercises with no issue at all.   Biceps were identical to pre xmas and no drop off at all.   Felt super strong and well rested.  Back and triceps tomorrow will report back then.

Where do you think you could get with the dumbbells? Seem to recall you getting in to the 40s fairly recently?

My pressing is as strong as it's ever been but it's my primary focus so it should be.

Been today and hit 130kg for 4 with a fair bit left in the tank on flat bench followed by 2 sets of 8 at 50kg for incline dumbbells.

DB shoulder press are up to 40kg for 8 and I think that's really helping as an accessory to the chest work. Makes sense really as I'd neglected shoulder pressing for a long while due to injury worries every time I went heavy. Really nice to able to use a taxing weight without thinking I'm going to f**k my shoulder up.

Ultimate goal for me is 3 plates for 5 reps on bench but this is a long long way off. Got to keep plugging away at it though.

My main goal in the next 3 months is to drop to 110kg body weight whilst maintaining my current level of lean muscle mass.   Not too worried about strength goals.   Ive got stronger marginal in the last 9 months since the last lockdown whilst dropping lard so don't see getting stronger as a focus think it will come naturally providing no more lock downs which massively set me back.   I'd like to think i could be doing 50kg dumbbells later in the year.  Last workout before xmas i was doing sets of 6 with 40kg's and will go back to them next week.   I have hit 44-46kg previously 3 years ago but haven't ever got to the holy grail of the 50s coming out which is a reasonable goal for this year i think.   When i started back in April afterr 3 months off after lockdown i started again at 26kg.   I don't want to have to go through that rebuilding process again.

Ultimately at our age staying injury free which i tend to do quite easily is the key thing.   None of us are getting paid to train its about enjoying doing it and staying fit.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: January 05, 2022, 12:33:13 PM »

My main goal in the next 3 months is to drop to 110kg body weight whilst maintaining my current level of lean muscle mass.   Not too worried about strength goals.   Ive got stronger marginal in the last 9 months since the last lockdown whilst dropping lard so don't see getting stronger as a focus think it will come naturally providing no more lock downs which massively set me back.   I'd like to think i could be doing 50kg dumbbells later in the year.  Last workout before xmas i was doing sets of 6 with 40kg's and will go back to them next week.   I have hit 44-46kg previously 3 years ago but haven't ever got to the holy grail of the 50s coming out which is a reasonable goal for this year i think.   When i started back in April afterr 3 months off after lockdown i started again at 26kg.   I don't want to have to go through that rebuilding process again.

Ultimately at our age staying injury free which i tend to do quite easily is the key thing.   None of us are getting paid to train its about enjoying doing it and staying fit.

The strength gains will just happen without you even noticing. You're nowhere near your natural limit by the sound of it so if you just keep shifting metal about your body will keep adapting to whatever you throw at it. Got to make sure you keep challenging yourself though and making progress, the more muscle you have the more fat you'll shift.

Yeah 100% agree about staying injury free, that's why I've now stopped doing deadlifts and squats completely as I always mess up my hip and lower back at some point.

My leg work now is just leg extensions, leg curls, some of the spready/squeezy ones and then calves. I throw in some hyper extension for lower back just to keep it moving and maintain some base strength but that's it. I don't do bent over rows any more as again it hurts my lower back as soon as I put a half decent weight on the bar. I just stick to the seated variations to get my rowing in.

The routine I currently have is really enjoyable so I'll be sticking to it for quite a while. Every now and then I throw in something new but invariably I mess myself up so I really need to just stick to what works.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: January 05, 2022, 12:52:24 PM »

let's hope for a lockdown free 2022 and injury free 2022 for everyone then the rest is much easier.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: January 05, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »

DB shoulder press are up to 40kg for 8 and I think that's really helping as an accessory to the chest work. Makes sense really as I'd neglected shoulder pressing for a long while due to injury worries every time I went heavy. Really nice to able to use a taxing weight without thinking I'm going to f**k my shoulder up.the more muscle you have the more fat you'll shift.

The strength gains will just happen without you even noticing. You're nowhere near your natural limit by the sound of it so if you just keep shifting metal about your body will keep adapting to whatever you throw at it. Got to make sure you keep challenging yourself though and making progress,

Yeah 100% agree about staying injury free, that's why I've now stopped doing deadlifts and squats completely as I always mess up my hip and lower back at some point.

My leg work now is just leg extensions, leg curls, some of the spready/squeezy ones and then calves. I throw in some hyper extension for lower back just to keep it moving and maintain some base strength but that's it. I don't do bent over rows any more as again it hurts my lower back as soon as I put a half decent weight on the bar. I just stick to the seated variations to get my rowing in.

The routine I currently have is really enjoyable so I'll be sticking to it for quite a while. Every now and then I throw in something new but invariably I mess myself up so I really need to just stick to what works.

Id love to see a video of you banging out 3 plates for reps in the future.  You can't beat watching someone benching 3+plates for reps when you are as shit at chest as i am!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: January 05, 2022, 01:41:56 PM »

let's hope for a lockdown free 2022 and injury free 2022 for everyone then the rest is much easier.

Just got to stay sensible and there's no reason not to stay injury free. Easier said than done unfortunately.......

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: January 05, 2022, 01:57:38 PM »

Id love to see a video of you banging out 3 plates for reps in the future.  You can't beat watching someone benching 3+plates for reps when you are as shit at chest as i am!

Me too!!

I've managed a triple at 141.5kg on my home set up so I'm not ridiculously far off 140 for 5 but I'm very much peaked so gains are hard to find.

At the moment I'm looking to gain a few kilos so that could push me over the edge. Benching 3 times a week won't hurt either.

Should perhaps try to get a session together at DL later this year? Keep an eye out for fee day passes......

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: January 05, 2022, 09:40:34 PM »

give me 3 months to get through this training period and we can meet up at DL nottiingham in the summer for work out and have a few beers after in the sun around the pool outside.   would you be willing tto get to 115kg body weight if you could bench 150kg for 5 reps just out of interest?  Id like to meet up once  i have done the 50kgs and lost another 10kg+ then i won't look like a proper fat ***** next to you!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: January 05, 2022, 10:38:12 PM »

give me 3 months to get through this training period and we can meet up at DL nottiingham in the summer for work out and have a few beers after in the sun around the pool outside.   would you be willing tto get to 115kg body weight if you could bench 150kg for 5 reps just out of interest?  Id like to meet up once  i have done the 50kgs and lost another 10kg+ then i won't look like a proper fat ***** next to you!

Sounds good to me mate, in for that. Happy to meet in the cold at my low rent gym to maybe push you towards the 50kg sooner.......

My main focus is aesthetics so unless I could hit 115kg lean (which I can't) I wouldn't want to get that big no matter how much I could lift. I like discussing the numbers but it's just a happy side effect of training for general hypertrophy and gives me a focus to make sure I'm always progressing.

My ideal weight for looking good (in my opinion) is pretty much bang on 100kg. Much less than that I start to look a bit gaunt as I lose fat off my face very early. The highest I can go without starting to get too fat is about 108kg so that's the range I stick to. Current weight is 102kg which is a nice balance between looking decent and eating loads.

Another of my goals is a 1.5x body weight bench and 150 at 100 feels a lot more attainable than 162 at 108.

Right now I think I'd be a slight favourite to hit 153kg without a pause. I've got 10 weeks to my next 1RM attempt so got to decide where to pitch my weight. That's going to be a paused rep though which would mean a 5.5kg PR which is huge and highly unlikely. Can't wait to find out though Smiley

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: January 06, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »

leg and lower back today and i did 3 sets x 8 deadlifts at 170kg.   My plan longer term is to get back to doing 200kg+ for 1 rep max but given the cardio i am doing i am doing high volume low weight leg sessions so i don't need huge recovery which affects my cardio.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: January 07, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »

leg and lower back today and i did 3 sets x 8 deadlifts at 170kg.   My plan longer term is to get back to doing 200kg+ for 1 rep max but given the cardio i am doing i am doing high volume low weight leg sessions so i don't need huge recovery which affects my cardio.

I know I've already said it but I've completely given up on deadlifts. 170kg is actually my 1RM from when I was trying but even that caused an injury.

I can do them but just the slightest blip in form puts my hip or back out and I'm in a mess for weeks.

For me it's a high risk low reward exercise so best avoided. Squats are in the same category and also shrugs and sadly pull ups Sad

I hope to get pull ups back in one day and it's definitely possible. I thought I was done with seated DB shoulder press but have started again after a good few years avoiding them so I know it can be done if I work on the right muscles slowly.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: January 07, 2022, 12:08:09 PM »

I know I've already said it but I've completely given up on deadlifts. 170kg is actually my 1RM from when I was trying but even that caused an injury.

I can do them but just the slightest blip in form puts my hip or back out and I'm in a mess for weeks.

For me it's a high risk low reward exercise so best avoided. Squats are in the same category and also shrugs and sadly pull ups Sad

I hope to get pull ups back in one day and it's definitely possible. I thought I was done with seated DB shoulder press but have started again after a good few years avoiding them so I know it can be done if I work on the right muscles slowly.

Pathetic  Tongue

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: January 07, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »

first proper cardio session today and had a much bigger drop off than lifting wise from the xmas break
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: January 12, 2022, 10:46:34 PM »

Was forced to do a barbell chest press session flat and incline for the first time in months as the January newbies had overcrowded the gym benches for dumbbells.  I have been using dumbbells only for the last few months.   Managed to bang out 8 reps at 80kg easily 3 x 90kg and a 1 rep max of 1 x 100kg which really surprised me even though the dumbbells have been going well i wasn't expecting to be that strong without a spotter.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: January 13, 2022, 05:07:59 PM »

Was forced to do a barbell chest press session flat and incline for the first time in months as the January newbies had overcrowded the gym benches for dumbbells.  I have been using dumbbells only for the last few months.   Managed to bang out 8 reps at 80kg easily 3 x 90kg and a 1 rep max of 1 x 100kg which really surprised me even though the dumbbells have been going well i wasn't expecting to be that strong without a spotter.

Solid work mate and the dumbbells will definitely have contributed.

I've recently put DB inclines and seated DB shoulder press back in to my routine and I've seen an increase in bench since.

You tempted to give bench a shot now that you've had this pleasant result or back to DB when they're available?

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: