blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530723 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: May 24, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »

Good to see everyone getting it done.. im still doing the mad crossfit stuff with some strength & olympic lifts thrown in for good measure..but have been working more on paced stuff rather than flat out red lining, will leave that to the whipper snappers Smiley going well and looking to be nice and cut for the summer.

Never been one for 1 rep max stuff especially at my age as I dont want to hurt myself but I thought i should update some of my poorer PB's.. squat and deadlift mainly..

upped the squat from 150KG to 170KG..deadlift we are aiming for 200KG as I done 170KG a couple years ago with more left in the tank..not sure if I will go back to bench..was happy with 130KG..although I suppose 3 plates is should be a target Smiley

All very impressive numbers as it is! How long was it to get to 150-170?

was a bit odd really..i dont do a lot of squatting..i did 150 a couple of years ago and failed 160...started doing some squatting with the pt recently and found i was doing 150 for 5 reps pretty easy..so i said to him that i should be able to improve 1 rep from there.. so went 155..160.165.170.. and failed 175

Where did you fail the 175? Did you get out the hole?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: May 24, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »

Good to see everyone getting it done.. im still doing the mad crossfit stuff with some strength & olympic lifts thrown in for good measure..but have been working more on paced stuff rather than flat out red lining, will leave that to the whipper snappers Smiley going well and looking to be nice and cut for the summer.

Never been one for 1 rep max stuff especially at my age as I dont want to hurt myself but I thought i should update some of my poorer PB's.. squat and deadlift mainly..

upped the squat from 150KG to 170KG..deadlift we are aiming for 200KG as I done 170KG a couple years ago with more left in the tank..not sure if I will go back to bench..was happy with 130KG..although I suppose 3 plates is should be a target Smiley

was a bit odd really..i dont do a lot of squatting..i did 150 a couple of years ago and failed 160...started doing some squatting with the pt recently and found i was doing 150 for 5 reps pretty easy..so i said to him that i should be able to improve 1 rep from there.. so went 155..160.165.170.. and failed 175

Some solid squatting that. No surprise failing 175kg after presumably doing all those PR singles one after the other.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: May 24, 2022, 09:19:16 PM »

Going well guys, good to hear the updates.
Personally, have had to stop trying to increase weights whilst lowering body weight. Concentrating on reps/sets with lower. Hurt my back deadlifting last month, which didn't help.
On holiday next week, once back i'm going back to using full body workouts, doing individual body parts just  doesn't work as well for me.
Have also been caning the cardio, which has probably limited the strength/muscle gains.

Nice work mate. Been following your progress on the other thread and it looks to be going really well.

Full body is always a decent idea if you don't have any specific goals. Just move a decent amount of metal and you'll at the very least maintain muscle.

Cardio in itself shouldn't directly limit strength gains although if you're smashing a 60 minute run before hitting the weights you won't have anything left to push yourself enough to stimulate any growth.

Main thing is that you're enjoying whatever you're doing and can stick with it.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: May 25, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »

Started on the way back up and just got stuck.. its the weirdest feeling literally not being able to move..just had to let it go.. might have been a bit of over confidence as the 170 went up pretty smooth and clean..had a second go but it wasnt happening lol

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: May 25, 2022, 11:26:13 PM »

Tough day today on my 'heavy' bench day.

Rep range is 4 to 6 and my best week I've managed to peak at 135kg for 4.

Felt really good today and had visions of giving 3 plates a go but for some reason it just wanted there.

To get to 135 in reasonable jumps I go 112.5, 122.5, 130 and then 135. Anyway the 122.5 felt ridiculously tough, 130 I just about squeezed 5 reps and then took the sensible option and bailed out on the top set.

Felt really confident after Monday being a good day but I guess sometimes it's just not there.

I started a mini cut this week but I can't see that being the issue as I've only dropped about 500 calories per day and only been at it a couple of days. I trained 11am instead of my usual 4pm which is a likely factor but I've done it before and not been badly affected. Hey ho, not to worry, back at it next session.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: May 28, 2022, 10:46:18 AM »

Felt really good today and had visions of giving 3 plates a go but for some reason it just wanted there.

To get to 135 in reasonable jumps I go 112.5, 122.5, 130 and then 135. Anyway the 122.5 felt ridiculously tough, 130 I just about squeezed 5 reps and then took the sensible option and bailed out on the top set.

Felt really confident after Monday being a good day but I guess sometimes it's just not there.

I started a mini cut this week but I can't see that being the issue as I've only dropped about 500 calories per day and only been at it a couple of days. I trained 11am instead of my usual 4pm which is a likely factor but I've done it before and not been badly affected. Hey ho, not to worry, back at it next session.

Walked into the gym yesterday and one of trainers casually bangs out a 165 bench then tells me his dieting and he's at 92kg. Absolute madness, might have to retire from the movement. Luckily we do tie on the DL.

You use wraps all the time?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: May 28, 2022, 08:14:09 PM »

Walked into the gym yesterday and one of trainers casually bangs out a 165 bench then tells me his dieting and he's at 92kg. Absolute madness, might have to retire from the movement. Luckily we do tie on the DL.

Wow that's scary. There's a fella in my gym who weighs in about 90kg who has a 5 plate PR from years ago and still hits 4 plates regularly. He's only about 5' 8" and his triceps are about the size of my quads 

Claims natural as well which I think I can just about believe seeing his build.

I use elbow cuffs but never full on wraps. Cuffs just give a little bit of compression and support but I honestly don't think they add any weight. Wraps on the other hand would be good for a few kgs I would imagine.

Was hoping for 140kg for 3 today but had a really nasty twinge through my left arm and shoulder. Stupidly forgot to do my foam rolling before I left home for the gym and it proved to be a huge mistake.

Managed to find a bench at the right height to grind out the knot in my back and squeezed out a dodgy 135kg but it didn't feel pleasant. Quite encouraging though to hit that weight when not feeling good.

I know you're joking of course but don't give up on bench. Use him as motivation to get better. What's your PR at? Was it about 120kg when we trained together a few years back?

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: May 29, 2022, 10:46:16 PM »

I did my back in at the end of last year (pretty sure I slipped a disc) and messed up my shoulder in February (still undiagnosed, need to try and get an MRI scan) so I was off games for quite a while.

Been building back slowly for 6 weeks now and starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Deadlift back upto 100kg but still taking squats very carefully and not doing much over 90kg.

Weight is stubbornly high at 85kg - need to get some more discipline from somewhere but I am starting to enjoy workouts more now.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: May 30, 2022, 10:01:33 AM »

Wow that's scary. There's a fella in my gym who weighs in about 90kg who has a 5 plate PR from years ago and still hits 4 plates regularly. He's only about 5' 8" and his triceps are about the size of my quads 

Claims natural as well which I think I can just about believe seeing his build.

I use elbow cuffs but never full on wraps. Cuffs just give a little bit of compression and support but I honestly don't think they add any weight. Wraps on the other hand would be good for a few kgs I would imagine.

Was hoping for 140kg for 3 today but had a really nasty twinge through my left arm and shoulder. Stupidly forgot to do my foam rolling before I left home for the gym and it proved to be a huge mistake.

Managed to find a bench at the right height to grind out the knot in my back and squeezed out a dodgy 135kg but it didn't feel pleasant. Quite encouraging though to hit that weight when not feeling good.

I know you're joking of course but don't give up on bench. Use him as motivation to get better. What's your PR at? Was it about 120kg when we trained together a few years back?

Its mental, he is just a beast. Every movement I see him do is of an incredibly high standard.

The all time PR for squat and bench is still when we trained. I dont think I have tried since? I haven't tried a deadlift since either, I think I haven't gone below 5 for any training block and maybe 1-2 sets of 3's on a one off occasion maybe? But my 3's in the training block were all paused.

I want to build up to sets of 6 at 100 for bench. Currently at 95 but last set I need help on the last rep every time. So little plateau there. Dropped everything back in volume for the next few months. There is a single 3x6 for squats, bench and rows throughout the week but everything else is the 8-15 range.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: May 30, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »

I did my back in at the end of last year (pretty sure I slipped a disc) and messed up my shoulder in February (still undiagnosed, need to try and get an MRI scan) so I was off games for quite a while.

Been building back slowly for 6 weeks now and starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Deadlift back upto 100kg but still taking squats very carefully and not doing much over 90kg.

Weight is stubbornly high at 85kg - need to get some more discipline from somewhere but I am starting to enjoy workouts more now.

Injuries really really suck. If you have two pretty high profile injuries I would honestly build my training around those and be prepared too be a little behind/unbalanced for a year or so but to come out of that year in the position to push on. In a world where we hear sports athletes get back from big injuries within 3 months i think it can skew our view of it. They rehab 3/4/5/6 a day, then have all the medical advice/treatment/protocols/ dare I say some naughty stuff under the table. I think when you have a life and fitness is in your top 3/5 priorities its much MUCH harder to get to the point where you are as strong and able to get stronger.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: May 30, 2022, 03:40:17 PM »

Injuries really really suck. If you have two pretty high profile injuries I would honestly build my training around those and be prepared too be a little behind/unbalanced for a year or so but to come out of that year in the position to push on. In a world where we hear sports athletes get back from big injuries within 3 months i think it can skew our view of it. They rehab 3/4/5/6 a day, then have all the medical advice/treatment/protocols/ dare I say some naughty stuff under the table. I think when you have a life and fitness is in your top 3/5 priorities its much MUCH harder to get to the point where you are as strong and able to get stronger.

Doing this has been huge for my training and helping keep me free of any major injuries for a long time now. I've had a few niggles but nothing to stop me going completely.

It's probably over a year now since I last squatted and 2 years since I dead lifted. For me it's just not worth it as I always seem to get hurt when I get towards decent weights.

Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: May 30, 2022, 09:06:06 PM »

Yeah staying injury-free and doing 3x45min sessions a week right now is as good as anything I've ever done. Just need to keep reminding myself of that.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: May 31, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »

Yeah staying injury-free and doing 3x45min sessions a week right now is as good as anything I've ever done. Just need to keep reminding myself of that.

I'm only training 3x per week at the moment. Don't know why but I just cba with 4 or 5 days right now.

Doesn't seem to be affecting me much at all. My legs might lose a bit as I'm completely missing those but I know that 6 weeks back on it I'd be right back where I was.

All I do for legs at the moment is 20 bodyweight squats every morning. That seems to be doing really well at keeping enough quad definition to satisfy my fragile ego.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: May 31, 2022, 04:14:50 PM »

https://barbend.com/2022-worlds-strongest-man-results/

Tom is a potential GOAT after going back to back.  His brother 7th.   That field was stacked and Tom won by half the track.  10.5 points clear.   That is mario distance in that field.   He could win 5 straight at his age.  Total freak.  I did think i said this 6-8 years ago on here when i first saw him when eddie hadn't made it.   World's stroongest brothers  by a mile.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:31:04 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: May 31, 2022, 04:16:35 PM »

Shaw needs to retire now he clearly can't win a 5th.   He is close to goat status.  Needs to lose weight and focus on his family and businesses.   He has nothing to prove.   The greatest business man in strongman in history and it isn't even close.   Eddie close 2nd.  the best 7 in the world were top 7 no injury excuses this year.  Luke S thats his level at his age and natural size finishing 7th in wsm with those 6 in front of him.   He is a legend for making the freak of Tom what he is.   Retire luke run the business to fund it be toms training partner and make him the GOAT of all GOAT's.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:19:24 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: