blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tinker on.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 143 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tinker on.  (Read 338633 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: April 21, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »

Hodgson defends Vardy and says red card was ‘unlucky’. http://gu.com/p/4tg66/stw 

I must say some of the comments come across as pretty begrudging. whatever happens to reach the champions league group stages, however embarrassing the results may be, is something that will be cherished. lets hope we don't get romania, kazakhstan and bulgarian teams!

as to the rest of it, of course there has been insane positive variance (and underperformance elsewhere)  but we ignore two things

A) until march or so almost every team defended terribly against us. Only Liverpool at Anfield on boxing day did what appeared obvious, defend the 18 yard line, don't let Vardy in behind and double up on Mahrez.

I just couldn't understand why teams would set up their back four 35 yards up the pitch game after game. You can offer us all the space in the world in the middle of the park, we aren't going to hurt you, but offer us space in behind and kante is going to win the ball (over 100 interceptions this season) and drinkwater/mahrez are going to ping it through.

not rocket science.

by the time teams began to adapt and asked us to play through them we were top. At that point Mahrez won games with a single piece of skill and invariably we took the lead first, so teams then had to come on and we could play that quick transitional style with the out ball to Vardy a constant threat

B) "In-game" with tactics and substitutions Ranieri has been sensational. "Out of game" the organisation and teamwork of the back five has taken a lot of work. Yes shot conversion against has been low 

Of course now vardy is out for 1-2-3 games the impact of not being a possession side without that pace on the last defender is going to be felt. So much of the style of play depends on that threat.

this is probably the first bit of adverse variance lcfc have seen all season.

I'm hoping we can grind out a couple of results and still be ahead for when he is back

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

Statistically Spurs are leading just about every category bar points. It's a funny old game!

Really?

Most points from home games

Most points from away games

Least number of defeats

Oh, and top of the league.

Arsenal aside (ironic really) from all the other top half of the league teams Leicester have collected 4 points off Tottenham. Man City, West Ham, Liverpool, Southampton and Stoke and have still to play United and Chelsea again.

You appear to have missed the bit where I mentioned 'bar points'. Home and away points are still points.

I saw this the other day and immediately wondered how facing the most shots on target is a good thing? Surely you are more likely to beat teams by allowing them as few shots on target as possible?

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 21, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »

Maybe 102 is the least, just like the stat above it? 3 shots a game sounds pretty low.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

Maybe 102 is the least, just like the stat above it? 3 shots a game sounds pretty low.

Haha what a div! 

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »

It's a good spot for Taleb's 'Fooled by Randomness'. Which I think everybody should read. That Leicester suddenly became the best team really isn't likely. Just plain old variance.

I do think the other clubs were incredibly slow to recognise what Leicester were doing and make a game plan to counter Vardy and Mahrez.

The last eight games (since their brilliant performances v City and Arsenal), where the twin threat has been diluted massively by teams defending deeper and not letting Vardy get behind them, Leicester have run like God to remain unbeaten.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 21, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »

It's a good spot for Taleb's 'Fooled by Randomness'. Which I think everybody should read. That Leicester suddenly became the best team really isn't likely. Just plain old variance.

I do think the other clubs were incredibly slow to recognise what Leicester were doing and make a game plan to counter Vardy and Mahrez.

The last eight games (since their brilliant performances v City and Arsenal), where the twin threat has been diluted massively by teams defending deeper and not letting Vardy get behind them, Leicester have run like God to remain unbeaten.

This says what i said only far more succinctly!

Much of the league was tactically naive against us for far too long. whether we weren't taken seriously or not, dunno

after all, we don't have a lot of clubs in the bag.

in the last ten games Mahrez has won 3 games with a single piece of skill and at the same time as the attacking threat has been neutralised the defensive organisation has been stunning

Ranieri tactically pushed the far full back in to act as a third centre back when the play was out wide, and morgan and huth were unchallenged until the west ham game with virtually no successful crosses against us.

it was difficult to play through the middle of us, and still is, as kante is magnificent, tackles and intercepts everything.

My eyes are open wide
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 21, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »

It's been a freak season in many respects. I look forward to some kind of normality resuming next year Wink

I think this Spurs team are here to stay if they can keep hold of Poch and the core players. I know they've had many false dawns recently but some of the best talent in the league reside at WHL at the moment.

I just don't see Leicester coming anywhere close to the top 4 next season. Throw in European football, potential to lose a couple of stars in the summer, inevitably more injuries next season with a bigger schedule of games, and some of the teams who have disappointed this year (Chelsea, City, and to a lesser degree Liverpool and united) can't be as bad next season.

It's been a perfect storm, and if Leicester win it they deserve it.

Best Bitter.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 21, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »

It's been a freak season in many respects. I look forward to some kind of normality resuming next year Wink

I think this Spurs team are here to stay if they can keep hold of Poch and the core players. I know they've had many false dawns recently but some of the best talent in the league reside at WHL at the moment.

I just don't see Leicester coming anywhere close to the top 4 next season. Throw in European football, potential to lose a couple of stars in the summer, inevitably more injuries next season with a bigger schedule of games, and some of the teams who have disappointed this year (Chelsea, City, and to a lesser degree Liverpool and united) can't be as bad next season.

It's been a perfect storm, and if Leicester win it they deserve it.

I would take anywhere in the top 12 next season now, for all the reasons you mention. We are going to recruit substantially, but even so its not repeatable

of course this is our one chance and we (lcfc fans) are horribly conflicted. not to win it from here would be horrible. to finish top 2 would be magnificent. all about perspective!

My eyes are open wide
T8MML

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 21, 2016, 12:13:02 PM »

Deeply offended that the guy should mention Leicester in the same breath as Athletico Madrid - savages!

if the snow is yellow - don't eat it!
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 21, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »

I've got two Spurs supporting brothers so I really hope Leicester can hold on.

Should Ranieri get this long contract he is asking for? I guess the owners are rich enough to be able to pay him off if they need to in 2 or 3 years time.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 21, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »

I've got two Spurs supporting brothers so I really hope Leicester can hold on.

Should Ranieri get this long contract he is asking for? I guess the owners are rich enough to be able to pay him off if they need to in 2 or 3 years time.

don't see why not.

got to keep him away from the Italian national team, so the whispers go.

sorting the new contracts for shakespeare and walsh before Pearson's feet are under the desk elsewhere just as important.

My eyes are open wide
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 21, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »

Are the club on the hook for any performance related bonuses other than keeping the team up contract wise?   I assume even the most savvy agent wouldn't have put a clause for Champs league qualification/winning the league into a clause for any Leicester player right?

This from two stand points.  Firstly, player bonuses wages wise and secondly, add on fees for initial transfer consideration from the clubs you purchased your squad from.  Camel has just PM'd me about this and originally i only meant it from a player's wages angle not the other angle he alluded to.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:59:43 PM by arbboy » Logged
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 21, 2016, 12:58:18 PM »

38 games not a big enough sample size.
76 games won't be either.
Leicester to repeat!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 21, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »

none at all

the club bonus scheme maxxed out at a top ten finish this season. i dare day the owners might sweeten it after the event

last year the squad received £250,000 a man for staying up

some of the clauses i am aware of, secondhand, are

- Kante £20m release clause

- Vardy was £500,000 one off bonus to be capped by England.

- Demarai Gray has a smaller contractual bonus if he is capped while at the club

- Ulloa has a bonus for double digit PL goals

- Huth has a clean sheets bonus!

My eyes are open wide
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: April 21, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »

I remember reading an interview with Dave Beasant who said at the start of the 1987/88 season he, as captain, and Sam Hammam sat down to talk about the bonuses the squad would get for that season. They got to the FA Cup and Beasant said, jokingly, put us down for a million quid each if we win it. Hammam laughed and did so. Unfortunately for the Wimbledon players he changed his mind the day after and changed it to no bonus for winning it!

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 143 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: