blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:48:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rate my shares
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate my shares  (Read 56641 times)
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »

http://www.lse.co.uk/

I have found this site quite good for it's high volume "chat room" (where the key skill is to be able to filter out the rampers & de-rampers), and the facility to monitor a real portfolio or simply a watchlist.

You seem to have a reasonably balanced group of shares so far, but without knowing the %s invested, it's not necessarily so. I like diversification, but I also incline towards the more techy stuff that you usually only find on AIM (financial health warning!) However, there's a couple of company's that I think are worth having a look at:

Gooch & Housego (GHH) - optical technology firm; originally mainly a family affair, but has divested into the hands of a decent management team.

XLMedia (XLM) - IPO was about 18 months ago, and the company still has a big cash pile & a very progressive dividend policy. Involved in generating traffic for gaming websites in addition to providing SEO services in return for fees or commission. Results & trading statements have been very good to date.

Obviously, the standard "Do your own research" (DYOR) applies. I am invested in both. I also hold Lloyds Bank, as I saw this as being more undervalued than the other clearing banks. Good luck!
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 01:09:26 AM »

I know nothing about shares but I have been doing a fair bit of work for RR for over 2 years now. You are correct about the forward order book but his has been the same for 2 years. They do have great products but they don't seem to be able to run the company very well.

They appointed a new chairman a few months ago and hopefully things will improve, some how I doubt it though.

Personal I wouldn't buy, but again I know little about shares.

Interesting take Vinni, I've worked for FTSE 100 and similar sized US businesses. Periodically they seem quite dysfunctional and a lot of the time it seems the massive drive for short term generation of shareholder value (exactly what I want I guess) seems to be the major issue as,  oftentimes,  it drives the wrong behaviours ( in terms of customers and growth).

I'm growing attached to RR already and think I'm happy to see the long term run out on this. Having said that, if I lose 20% or so I'll jump.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 01:18:36 AM »

http://www.lse.co.uk/

I have found this site quite good for it's high volume "chat room" (where the key skill is to be able to filter out the rampers & de-rampers), and the facility to monitor a real portfolio or simply a watchlist.

You seem to have a reasonably balanced group of shares so far, but without knowing the %s invested, it's not necessarily so. I like diversification, but I also incline towards the more techy stuff that you usually only find on AIM (financial health warning!) However, there's a couple of company's that I think are worth having a look at:

Gooch & Housego (GHH) - optical technology firm; originally mainly a family affair, but has divested into the hands of a decent management team.

XLMedia (XLM) - IPO was about 18 months ago, and the company still has a big cash pile & a very progressive dividend policy. Involved in generating traffic for gaming websites in addition to providing SEO services in return for fees or commission. Results & trading statements have been very good to date.

Obviously, the standard "Do your own research" (DYOR) applies. I am invested in both. I also hold Lloyds Bank, as I saw this as being more undervalued than the other clearing banks. Good luck!

Oh man, talk of ramping takes me back to the late 90s. Generally speaking I think I'm going to avoid forums, and probably avoid AIM, particularly in thinly traded shares where the market makers can make you look a chump pretty easily. I don't have quite the time or inclination to follow this stuff these days and am unlikely to be responsive enough to change to buy and sell remotely profitably.

I know Gooch and Housego somehow in my dark recesses so will reacquaint myself with them and their products - thanks for mentioning them.

In terms of holdings in my embryonic portfolio - investment amount rather than shares:

LRD   14000
BOO  10000
RR     10000
BARC  7000
VOD   7000

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 02:55:45 AM »

Absolutely clueless about shares, like most things Wink

Will definitely follow, and hopefully learn something, too.

strak33

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »

Fairly clueless but really interested.

What platform/company do you use? I had a poke around on plus500 because i have always been excited by the idea of stocks and shares.

Is basing investments upon my own opinions and a little bit of research silly?

To your last point - it's definitely not silly and there is no real reason to think you can't outperform a managed or advised investment

I would caution that you do a lot of research (rather than a little) and take things pretty slowly in very manageable amounts rather than follow my less then exemplary approach - somewhat frivolous borne of age and general stability (except when drinking)

Thank you for the replies.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »

Loving this thread Glenn.

Laird PLC
Barclays Bank
Vodafone
Rolls Royce
Boohoo.com

For me, RR Holdings (I assume you mean Holdings - the Aerospace Engineering people not the cars) is the absolute standout.

Yes, halved in value the last 12 months, bla bla bla.

I've had mine since about 1985, & I had the view then - & now - that the fundamentals are so good they are a must hold.  

I should add that I'm stubbornly averse to City chatter, Analysts & the like. I ignore all that. Probably a dumb thing to do, but they all have an agenda.  

Rolls Royce have something very special going for them.

We know that....

They make superb, world-leading, products.

The order book is brimming.

Their engines power (at customers discretion) the A380, for which Emirates have ordered or have options for around 100.  

Their newly upgraded Trent XWB will power the Airbus A350, for which there are orders for some 800.

All in all, they have 13,000 in-service engines around the world in 40 different aircraft types, & that includes 100 different Armed Forces. And of course Marine Propulsion.  

Yeah yeah, blurb blurb.

But here's the thing.

Aircraft engines last (almost) forever, certainly longer than the hulls they power. There are plenty of 30 & 40 year old engines still in service. Air Travel WILL continue to grow, like it or not. As will Defence spending.

And all those engines need regular maintenance, & an endless supply of (certified) spare parts. Maintenance, & aero engine spares, cost a fortune. And Air Travel is inherently safe because of that. Not too many air crashes are caused by engine problems.  

So when RR sell an Aero Engine, they end up with the engineering equivalent of compound interest - decades of spare parts & maintenance are part of the equation. And compound interest is the most powerful of equations. That's a very rare beast indeed in the world of commerce.

A Trent XWB sells for some $50 milly, but it's value to RR over the next 30 to 40 years must be many times that.  

And they MAKE THINGS, a proper company.

Anyway, I wanted to contribute that.

I think they are exactly the sort of Business to have shares in.

Should add, I never buy to sell, I buy to keep, for when I'm old, so these short term ups & downs don't bother me & never have.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »

^^^^

PS - just remembered the last share I ramped, about 2 or 3 years ago, to Ryan Spittles......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »

^^^^

Tesco shares were £3.50 at the time. Think they are £1.70 now. 

Still, I did suggest he SELL Rolls Royce Holdings at £11, which was the price then.

"Rolls Royce - I actually looked into this because of Tikay's love of this company on his diary."[/b]

Hi Ryan.

If you have not already purchased them, DO NOT do so now.

They were £2.80 on 2008, & are currently £11.22.

They will steadily grow, over time, but you've missed the boat really as to the explosive growth of the last 5 years. The shares of very big Companies tend to plod along fairly steadily.

RR have a forward order book of £70 billion, & their installed base must be worth, literally, £trillions. All that gear has to be maintained, & spare parts supplied. The average life of a RR Aero or Marine engine is over 30 years, so that is a lot of almost guaranteed future income.

A very solid investment indeed, & a fine company to boot, but all that is in the price, imo.

Their latest half year results are here....

http://www.rolls-royce.com/Images/2013_half_year_appendices_data_pack_tcm92-50022.pdf

I think I may have put you on to Tesco, too. They have barely moved in 5 years, going from around £3.20 to £3.70, & have probably lagged the market, but you get a nice steady, & pretty much guaranteed, Dividend. Tesco will have their ups & downs, but they aint ever going away, or busto. Dull as dishwater as a Share, but solid.

You mention Sports Direct. Been an absolutely fabulous Share, gone from around 50p some 5 years ago to £7 now, but the explosive growth is over, & I'd be bailing out personally. The man who runs it is an absolute total genius, football supporters all think he is dumb, (he sort of owns Newcastle United) but he knows exactly what he is doing.

Good luck mate, & I think you are being very wise locking up this money in shares.

All from the "Share/Investment advice" thread on blonde just over 2 years ago.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=62284.0

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »

Yah Tikay, it's an interesting subject and it's taken me years to get round to this but quite enjoyed it as I had the time this week to mess around.

I was a bit reassured on RR with talk of an active investor doubling their stake. Can be quite good in terms of some pressure on management to do better and also perhaps some sign of some confidence in the new guy.

Only 2 major competitors and I know both quite well. Engines, I read, is GE's most profitable part of their business and having seen GE close up I don't see why RR couldn't close the gap on their efficiency a bit (which could mean a lot).

Pays yr money I guess and it'll be interesting to see how things pan out over a year or two

sola virtus nobilitat
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »

Interesting article on RR. I would agree with pretty much all of it especially around the byzantine management structure.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/rolls-royce-vital-uk-cant-220446277.html

Ah! The element of surprise
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »

What do people think of smaller companies ie market cap <£100m.  On one hand the liquidity is quite poor sometimes so you would have to stay in for the longer term to cover the spread, but on the other hand the big institutions probably haven't scrutinised them to the degree that they have larger companies (because they can never buy enough shares to justify the research) so there might be some value.  Or is that optimistic?
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 10:27:44 PM »

What do people think of smaller companies ie market cap <£100m.  On one hand the liquidity is quite poor sometimes so you would have to stay in for the longer term to cover the spread, but on the other hand the big institutions probably haven't scrutinised them to the degree that they have larger companies (because they can never buy enough shares to justify the research) so there might be some value.  Or is that optimistic?

I wouldn't let the market cap on its own be a determining factor for investment purposes. As long as the share/s were part of a balanced portfolio then I think they're fine.

If I found a company that I was interested in investing in, I'd use the following checklist as a starting point:

1. Is it an area of business that I have an understanding of & does the sector fit with my view of the near-term economy
2. Are there big institutional investors in it, and have they been adding recently
3. How big are the director's holdings (ideally 10%+) and have they been buyers or sellers recently
4. How do the last 2-3 years' accounts look, and are the most recent trading statement/s positive
5. Most small caps are growth shares rather than yield, but if they pay div's, then that's a bonus
6. Spread & liquidity check - some are more actively traded than others, ofc

As someone else has already said, I look at shares as 'Buy & Hold' - until I can top-slice to recover my initial investment & keep the rest as a freeroll.

All IMHO
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »

Well, a ludicrously lucky first week comes to an end

Starting Stack  48066
Current stack   49803

Probably gonna make 3% a week from now. Farffff

Slightly more detail shows all of them gaining on the purchase price:

BARC         +0.96%
VOD           +0.78%
LRD            +3.88%
BOO           +4.12%
RR              +6.55%

Portfolio       +3.61%

Rolls Royce in some ways remains the most interesting with slips in earnings forecast for this year and next. So, allowing for the dead cat bounce possibility, let's hope the market is instead responding bullishly despite the mid term negatives and in the belief some of the people changes are going to make a genuine difference over time.

Really pleased with the first week from LRD & BOO and just hope the longer term proves these to be good picks from a growth point of view as that's why they were picked.

VOD & BARC - no surprise there, purchased as long term recovery notions but friendless and no idea what might genuinely get them moving. Hopefully solid performance to the point where they start to look undervalued versus their peers.

Obviously not going to be lots of posts from me on here as I don't plan to switch much around in the first month or two. Will probably post a weekly update and any major news stories around these companies - got to do my bit for the post count - 1 a week on here gonna get me in the advent calendar I imagine - I'll take the 1st December if it's free
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:25:10 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »

What does the panel think about BP for the medium term?  What happens if oil goes to $20?  Does this give them opportunities to buy distressed assets or will they be too distressed to do so?
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »

Deff keen to learn what people think about BP too, thinking of having a dabble lol.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: