blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:35:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 669737 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: March 15, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »

"would you like to be secretay of state?"

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: March 15, 2018, 07:43:08 PM »

So Larry Kudlow off the telly is to replace Gary Cohn as economic advisor.

He believes in free trade, not protectionism, and has criticised Trump's policies several times, particularly the tariffs and withdrawing from NAFTA, so this appointment seems set for problems before it has even started. On the other hand, they have known each other a long time, Trump wants someone who can present policies well and he thinks Larry looks very handsome.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/14/trump-taps-larry-kudlow-to-be-top-economic-adviser-462049
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: March 16, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »

The Donald's whitehouse, is like a new season of the Apprentice Cheesy

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: March 18, 2018, 09:04:20 AM »

astonishing riposte from former CIA Director to serving president after firing of McCabe (2 days before he was eligible for full pension!)

Verified account

@JohnBrennan

When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.

My eyes are open wide
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: March 18, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »

astonishing riposte from former CIA Director to serving president after firing of McCabe (2 days before he was eligible for full pension!)

Verified account

@JohnBrennan

When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.

Nice. Looking forward to reading Comey's book as well.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: March 20, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »

The Cabinet

Until now, the focus of turnover has been on the White House team, but what about the people who are actually running the country? The Cabinet has been extremely stable so far. Tom Price lost his job as Secretary of Health over treating government flights as personal taxis, but that has been all. Now, Trump's attention has turned to the Cabinet and a reshuffle is expected. Tillerson is out and several Secretaries are in the firing line, some for underwhelming performance and some for minor scandals. Half of Trump's appointees took up their jobs as opponents of what their Department had previously been doing and have set about dismantling it. Tillerson's destruction of State has been high-profile, but others have kept more under the radar, while doing much the same to their administrations. By coincidence, all those in danger (and the two who have gone) are amongst those who arrived at their jobs with a negative view of their Dept.

In Danger

Jeff Sessions - Attorney General
On borrowed time for almost a year now.

David Shulkin - Veteran Affairs
Shulkin was already in ethics trouble over a ten-day trip to Europe, when he spent 3½ days in meetings and the rest sightseeing  (with his wife, who was also paid for by public funds). Then he and his staff tried to cover it up and misled investigators. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/veterans-affairs-chief-shulkin-staff-misled-ethics-officials-about-european-trip-report-finds/2018/02/14/f7fbc020-0c3a-11e8-8b0d-891602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.6ba2ec73896e

Now there are allegations that he had took one of his security to Home Depot and had him hump his purchases into his house.

Shulkin has been under attack from numerous sources within the White House and in Congress, but had the support of Trump, who believes that there are systemic problems at the VA. Now his position is weakened and Trump is said to have sounded out Rick Perry about switching from Energy.

Betsy DeVos - Education
DeVos has changed the school system in Michigan, and many think not for the better. Her credo includes diverting funds from under-performing schools to better-performing ones. She now wants to do the same nationwide.  

She turned up unprepared for her confirmation hearing and ended up being a laughing stock. Having barely got away with that (the Senate split 50-50 and the Vice-President had to give the casting vote for the first time in history), she did the same for a high-profile interview with Lesley Stahl last week on '60 Minutes'.

Betsy's family has donated $200m to the Republican Party over the years, including $1m in 2016 to Senators who subsequently voted for her nomination. She has Trump's support (maybe because of the donations) but surely she can't survive too many of these.

Ryan Zinke - Interior
He started off on the right foot - reducing the size of some National Monuments by up to 80%, reducing the number of activities banned in National Parks (eg the ban on using lead bullets for hunting), allowing mining and drilling on federal lands, that sort of thing. He installed a deer-hunting game machine in the staff cafe to educate them about hunting. A trophy hunter himself, Zinke persuaded Trump to lift the ban on imports of elephant trophies.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/01/22/the-damage-done-by-trumps-department-of-the-interior

Then it started to go wrong. After public pressure, Trump put the elephant thing on hold. News started coming out that Zinke was another who has been spending large amounts treating government planes as his own playthings. His position is definitely weaker, but he'll probably be kept on a while longer.

Ben Carson - Housing and Urban Development
Carson had been quietly destroying HUD but has run into trouble over furniture for his office, which cost $31k. The Dept issued a statement that it had been ordered by career staff without Ben's knowledge, but an email has emerged from just before the purchase showing that Mrs Carson had chosen the pieces.

Steve Mnuchin - Treasury
Mnuchin is used to being vilified. He was a banker who foreclosed the mortgages of thousands of poor people. He fronted out the confirmation hearings, including the disclosure that he had kicked an 90-year-old widow out of her home over a debt of 27 cents (she owed 30 cents, but mistakenly sent a cheque for 3 cents and they seized the opportunity).

Since taking office, his main detriment has been his new wife's penchant for showing off their wealth.

When she got called out on this, she asked the person whether they had contributed more in taxes than her and her husband.

This was followed by photos of the two of them looking like Bond villains when the first dollar bills with his signature were printed, the only thing missing being one of them lighting the dollars with a cigar.

However, his performance in office has been what you would expect, the highlight being the tax cuts. He'll be safe.

Safe:
James Mattis, Defence
Elaine Chao, Transportation
Kirstjen Nielsen, Homeland Security
Alex Azar, Health
Rick Perry, Energy
Alexander Acosta, Labor
Wilbur Ross, Commerce (despite dozing off in meetings)
Sonny Perdue, Agriculture
Mike Pompeo, State

Other Cabinet Level Positions

In Danger

John Kelly - Chief of Staff
Previously Trump's superstar, Donald seems to have tired of him. It's anyone's guess whether he stays on.

Scott Pruitt - Environmental Protection Agency
As Attorney General of Oklahoma, Pruitt was suing the EPA over climate protection rules when the call came, an action that is still in process. He impressed by rolling back lots of Obama environmental regs in quick time, but has got caught up in expenses problems. Will probably be kept on.

Gina Haspel - CIA
Haspel has been nominated from within the organization, which usually goes down well with Congress, but her confirmation is by no means a shoo-in, due to her history of running facilities where torture occurred and her role in destroying interrogation tapes. Rand Paul called her "the head cheerleader for waterboarding" and is voting against. The American Civil Liberties Union called her "quite literally a war criminal."

Safe
Nikki Haley, United Nations
Mick Mulvaney, Budget
Linda McMahon, Small Business
Dan Coats, National Intelligence
Robert Lighthizer, Trade Representative  https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/12/16705548/robert-lighthizer-trump-trade-nafta-wto-china

Trump is surprisingly intolerant of his team using public funds for their own benefit. Kelly read the Riot Act to four of them a couple of weeks ago over this (Shulkin, Carson, Zinke & Pruitt). My guess would be that Shulkin and Carson will be out. Maybe Pruitt. DeVos should go, but her family is possibly the biggest Republican donor in history, so she may stay. It's amazing that Sessions isn't already gone, so maybe he'll hang on too. I wouldn't be surprised if Haspel's nomination is withdrawn.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: March 20, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »

Super post, MintTrav. Very interesting, and quite astounding to read.

Beers on me this summer, if you happen to drop in to the Nugget.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: March 20, 2018, 05:20:53 PM »

As you probably know, FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe was sacked two days short of the service he needed to get his full pension. Some Democrat Senators have offered to employ McCabe for two days so he gets the full whack.

"These old dirty nasty low-down gutter-ridden Democrats" going along with McCabe's "leaking and lying" hasn't gone down too well with Diamond and Silk:

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: March 21, 2018, 12:49:31 AM »

It wasn't him!

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: March 21, 2018, 01:25:59 AM »

It wasn't him!

Incred Cheesy

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »

Not John Bolton!

This is really bad news - the guy is a proper nutter.

Expect US foreign policy to take a turn for the worse (and Bolton to take a much higher public profile than McMaster).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: March 22, 2018, 11:20:19 PM »

Hope he doesn't get the US blown up, before I get to bok Tikay in a few comps this summer!

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: March 23, 2018, 12:05:59 AM »

That clock moved a minute closer to midnight tonight.

Some background on the new National Security Advisor: https://www.vox.com/world/2018/3/22/17153338/john-bolton-national-security-adviser-trump-hr-mcmaster

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: March 23, 2018, 09:01:02 AM »

John Bolton’s WSJ guest column from less than a month ago: “The Legal Case for Striking North Korea First”

👉🏻 http://on.wsj.com/2F3NY1X

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: March 23, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »

McMaster has been a dead man walking for ages. The same was true for Tillerson and McCabe. Now they have been put out of their misery and escaped from this pantomime government.

Who is next? The likely answer might surprise you - Jared Kushner.

It seems that Trump wants to ease him out and Kushner has had enough anyway. Since he lost the security clearance he has been hanging around without much to do. Trump has the power to override the process and just give him top clearance, but hasn't done so. The expectation is that he will provide a soft landing by giving Jared a leading role in the 2020 campaign in the next couple of months, based in New York. They say Ivanka is going to stay in DC until the start of the new school year in the Autumn, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her go at the same time as her husband.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: