blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 664988 times)
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: August 26, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2018/08/politics/john-mccain-cnnphotos/

In one of the photo's you see him playing poker on his phone during a senate committee hearing.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: August 27, 2018, 12:14:06 AM »

4 dead and 10 injured in a Florida shooting, but business as usual for the donald, as he gets pounding the Twitter streets.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: August 27, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »

I’m getting increasingly uncomfortable about the canonisation of John McCain.

He was a great politician, but he was no saint.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: August 27, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »

I’m getting increasingly uncomfortable about the canonisation of John McCain.

He was a great politician, but he was no saint.

Guessing he just looks like one, given the current climate?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:10 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Last week Trump let it be known that he was in Manafort's corner. Cohen cut a deal with prosecutors, but Manafort held firm and took the convictions without implicating the President. There is a strong suspicion that Trump wants to reward anyone who doesn't split on him, partly to convince others to do the same.

There was a shock last night, however, when the Wall Street Journal reported that Manafort's attornies have held talks with Mueller's on a plea deal. Not only that, but they took place while a decision was being awaited in Manafort's first case. So, at the same time as Trump was giving his support, Manafort was possibly speaking with Mueller's team about a possible deal.

Manafort's strategy seems to have been to get a pardon. He is currently looking at long jail sentences from two court cases. Is he now going to flip? It might just be a signal to Trump to give him a stronger signal that a pardon is forthcoming, as he has an alternative way to go.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: August 30, 2018, 01:46:41 AM »

Cabinet Meetings

Cabinet meetings in the US have always been very different to ours, but they sure have changed since Trump took charge. Despite a trend towards sub-committees, UK weekly cabinets are still working meetings where issues are discussed and decisions made. Not so in the States. For a start, they are only held every few months, so that sense of running the country doesn't apply. Substantive issues are rarely discussed at a detailed level in Cabinet - most Secretaries just get on with their briefs, interacting directly with the White House as needed. Cabinet meetings tend to be just an opportunity for the President to share his views and co-ordinate messaging. They also help with team-building - though it seems bizarre to us, they are often the only time that many members of the Government get to meet each other.

Apart from some photos at the beginning or end, they have been held in private - until now. Trump has gone for the theatre of holding them in public with cameras rolling. The first meeting became a laughing stock when it degenerated into a love-in, with all the Secretaries heaping praise on the President, and the ones since haven't been much better. At last week's meeting, Trump called on each Secretary to outline the achievements of their Department in a couple of minutes, after which he said how great a job each one was doing, and moved on to the next. So we have reached the point where they are just public relations promos and no actual work at all is done.

Before it all, there was the prayer. It is beyond me how a modern secular country begins its government meeting with a prayer, but there we are. Without any acknowledgement of irony, Pompeo read the West Point Cadet Prayer, all about supporting truth and honesty and not compromising with half-truths and vice.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:52:08 AM by MintTrav » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: August 30, 2018, 02:02:24 AM »

Madness, but not surprising.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: August 30, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »

Fascinating.

It gives the impression that Mr Trump sees himself as MD or CEO of USA Ltd, & runs Government accordingly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: August 31, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »

Sanders and Warren are the leading contenders for the Democratic nomination but they occupy the same ground most of the time and their support bases overlap considerably. If they both run, they will probably split the progressive vote and allow a centrist to win. So who will run?

Warren has been building an organisation, but Sanders’ one is still unrivalled. He has already run a national campaign and has votes locked up all over. His policies are more developed in several areas and he is more Trump-proof. She does better with black and women voters and takes more pragmatic positions. Both will have money.

According to this article, only one of them will run (not yet decided). I have to say I can’t see Sanders ever not running, short of a scandal or a proven collapse in his support.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/warren-sanders-trump-2020/568462/
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: August 31, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »

America is much better at racism than us. We get upset here over some mild stuff and people argue about whether it really is racism or not. They don't like to leave any doubt in the States. A couple of examples popped up this week.

Andrew Gillum, Mayor of Tallahassee, was a big underdog in the Democrat Primary for Governor of Florida but unexpectedly won and is now the party's candidate - the first Black politician to get that far in Florida. The Republican candidate Ron DeSantis immediately got himself into trouble by saying on the telly that things had been going well in Florida under the outgoing Governor and "the last thing we need to do is to monkey this up". That storm is still going on.

Meanwhile, Bettie Scott and Stephanie Chang were contesting a Democrat Primary in Detroit. Scott was heard telling groups of voters outside two polling stations not to vote for 'Ching Chong' and 'Ching Chang' and called a Chang volunteer an “immigrant”, teling them “you don’t belong here” and “I want you out of my country.” There is no denying that it happened, so she has taken the only option and apologised.  Could be the end of a political career.

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »

Andrew Cuomo is running for his third term as Governor of New York State, which would equal the three terms of his father Mario in the same job.

The Republicans have no chance here, so the Democrat Primary will decide the result, and there is no doubt that Cuomo will win.

He is adamant that he won’t abandon the State and run for President, but many don’t believe him. Bill Clinton said the same in Arkansas and didn’t have any problem backtracking on it. Based on his performance here, I dont think I’d bother.

His opponent is Sex and the City actor Cynthia Nixon from the progressive side of the party.

It didn’t take long for the insults to start in a ‘lively’ debate.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:28:49 PM by MintTrav » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: September 01, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »

They've seen the donald in action, and think they can all do the same Cheesy

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: September 01, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »

Obama's speech at John McCain's funeral.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: September 02, 2018, 10:17:12 AM »

Analysis: Impeachment talk has perils for both parties

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?destination=%2Fpolitics%2Fimpeachment-talk-has-perils-for-both-parties

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: September 02, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »

Not had a chance to read up, but seems quite com this circus around Brett Kavanaugh.

How can someone be appointed to the supreme court, without being evaluated properly?

Apologies if I'm way off, but I am almost as bad with politics, as Tikay is with punting.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 [189] 190 191 192 193 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: