blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:38:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  OFFICIAL Star Wars The Force Awakens thread WITH SPOILERS!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Star Wars The Force Awakens thread WITH SPOILERS!!!  (Read 4641 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »

QUICKLY, CLICk OUT OF THE THREAD IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!!

What did you give out of 10 and why?

Will post mine a bit later when I've got time to do it properly.

As I was walking out of the cinema, past a queue of people waiting for the next showing, a chap in front of me says to his lady friend "really good, I really enjoyed that." To which she replied at the top of her voice, "yeah, it was ok, but I can't believe they killed off Han Solo!"

**sound of Jaws hitting the ground the length of the queue**
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

exactly the same plot as the first one. surely it wouldn't have been too hard to think of something different. still enjoyed it of course 7/10
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »

QUICKLY, CLICk OUT OF THE THREAD IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!!

What did you give out of 10 and why?

Will post mine a bit later when I've got time to do it properly.

As I was walking out of the cinema, past a queue of people waiting for the next showing, a chap in front of me says to his lady friend "really good, I really enjoyed that." To which she replied at the top of her voice, "yeah, it was ok, but I can't believe they killed off Han Solo!"

**sound of Jaws hitting the ground the length of the queue**

Like this? You poor fucker.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »

10/10 for me

Can't understand the folks that complained it was unoriginal, yet the same guys complained that the prequels were not enough like the originals. It was predictable in the exact ways I wanted it to be.

The Finn character gave it a much funnier/more human touch than even the originals. Deffo the funniest star wars movie.

It didn't rely too much on nostalaga or the original characters. It could easily have been the Harrison Ford show, but instead they made it more about the new guys.

In fact the lack of Luke really made it, I cant wait for the next one.

The main villain was what Hayden Cristian should have been like. You could see the conflict within him, which you couldn't in Anakin Skywalker in the prequels.

Loved it, the best one of the lot IMO and I grew up with Star Wars.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »

I had started posting a full review detailing all the issues I had with the film, but the longer I wrote, the lower the score got and it was going to turn into an enormous post.

The short version though is 6/10 and that's with bonus nostalgia/loyalty points from an original generation fan too. Far too many regurgitated plot lines, scenes and relationships, and far too many obsurdities.

I will post specifics over time as they get mentioned by other. I'll start with Finn. I thought the character made no sense at all. Don't get me wrong, the young lad playing the part was fine. It was the character itself.

This was someone who'd been taken as a child, not even named, just given a serial number and trained to be a killing machine (but also had a job in sanitation on the new Death Star). On his very first mission though, he has some miraculous moral epiphany, and find he can't/won't kill anyone.

He rescues Roe, bundles him into a Tie fighter and they make their escape. After a brief dog fight, they are shit down and separated. Finn is devastated when he thinks Roe is dead, and when they are reunited later in the film, it's like they're long lost old friends. They spent about 30 minute in each other's company.

As well as the new found morality, he also feels fear, loyalty, devastation at injury or death of people he's known no time at all. The character makes no sense at all. One minute he's a trained killer who can handle himself with a gun turret, blaster, and even take on a Sith Lord with a light Sable (that was particularly stupid) but the next he's a rookie reluctant soldier transferred from a sanitation post on the Death Star.

Was disappointed he survived the battle with Kylo Ren.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:10:15 PM by AdamM » Logged
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:25:35 PM »

Finn reminded me of Jar Jar

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »

I wonder if his force awareness with the lightsaber might be explained in VIII if we find out his surname is Calrissian.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »

6/10 a generous score imo. So disappointed after reading the reviews.

Found Rey annoying and Harrison Ford showed more signs of life after getting shit down by a light sable than before it.

Nothing else on all week either. Roll on 8 Jan and Quentin's new masterpiece.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »

6/10 a generous score imo. So disappointed after reading the reviews.

Found Rey annoying and Harrison Ford showed more signs of life after getting shit down by a light sable than before it.

Nothing else on all week either. Roll on 8 Jan and Quentin's new masterpiece.

Well worth the wait Mr Chompy , well worth the wait.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »

8/10 imo

Played it very safe with the storyline but I think that this was to be expected, it was very much a homage to the original trilogy.

I'm not a huge star wars fan but I think it was pretty entertaining. It was really important I think to make sure that it didn't seem tacky or forced (no pun intended), that it was in keeping with the feel of the original trilogy and I think it did that.

JJ Abrams now has another two films to make this trilogy his own, definitely looking forward to those.

dwh103

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »

A 5/10 from me.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan anyway, but I was just bored. Even ignoring the identi-plot, it just felt really poorly constructed. Boom, suddenly a Stormtrooper develops a conscience, felt they could've done so much with that. Not enough character development, and both heroes and villains were just so forgettable for me. Less said about the lightsaber fights the better.

Honestly walked out of the cinema having already forgotten what happens in the middle of the film.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »

Very strong parody account, Emo Kylo Ren

https://twitter.com/KyloR3n

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »

8/10 imo

Played it very safe with the storyline but I think that this was to be expected, it was very much a homage to the original trilogy.

I'm not a huge star wars fan but I think it was pretty entertaining. It was really important I think to make sure that it didn't seem tacky or forced (no pun intended), that it was in keeping with the feel of the original trilogy and I think it did that.

JJ Abrams now has another two films to make this trilogy his own, definitely looking forward to those.
[/b]

Believe that's it for JJ, next one is by the director.of Fast and Furious.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »

8/10 imo

[/b]

Believe that's it for JJ, next one is by the director.of Fast and Furious.

Yes I believe he has publically commented that he regrets not directing the next one, because he has seen the script for it and it's excellent.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »

I'd give it a 6/7. Lots of re-used shit, lots of nostalgia, but they did a good job of saying that the next one won't be like that by killing off Han. That scene was excellent too imo, very ambiguous, and Ren is a pretty interesting character. Don't think the film was ever going to be amazing, too much pressure on it, but I didn't leave feeling disappointed and it leaves a nice set of stories to be developed over the next two. Whoever came up with the names really needs to be sacked though. Snoke? Snake? That's nearly as bad as J.K. Rowling's Snape, which was shit.

Rey would be improved by being more like Reh.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: