blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273109 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Yes or No, the Euro 2016 squad
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yes or No, the Euro 2016 squad  (Read 39249 times)
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »

What a joke to leave out Drinkwater. Hodgson just taking his big club players even if they are unfit or injury prone.  Poor but unsurprising.

Was a supporter of Drinkwater being in the squad, but on the basis of the last couple of games, don't think he's quite good enough.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »

What a joke to leave out Drinkwater. Hodgson just taking his big club players even if they are unfit or injury prone.  Poor but unsurprising.

Was a supporter of Drinkwater being in the squad, but on the basis of the last couple of games, don't think he's quite good enough.

He could have picked with justification players to leave out based on form, injury proneness, not being ready or the fact they aren't match fit.  Wilshire, Henderson, Sturridge, Rashford, Sterling, Barkley.  But no - Drinkwater gets the bullet.  How depressing.

Why are we taking 5 strikers anyway?
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »

Quite pleased Drinkwater isn't in the squad, mainly because I hadn't heard of him before April this year but also because his surname is ridiculous.

Even more pleased Townsend isn't in as hes gash, all he does is cut inside and shoot.

If Wilshere is fit (Huge IF) hes an absolute game changer, even more so than Barkley imo.

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »

He could have picked with justification players to leave out based on form, injury proneness, not being ready or the fact they aren't match fit.  Wilshire, Henderson, Sturridge, Rashford, Sterling, Barkley.  But no - Drinkwater gets the bullet.  How depressing.

Why did you want us to take 8 CM's!  Give me impact subs to fill the 23 out with any day.
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »

We're not. Rooney won't play as a striker.

Rashford/Sturridge can both play wide in the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and up top in the 4-4-2 diamond. More versatile than Townsend and more likely to change the game from the bench. Don't think Rashford over Townsend will make much difference, doubt either will/would've seen many minutes. 
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »

Why did you want us to take 8 CM's!  Give me impact subs to fill the 23 out with any day.

I wouldn't.  I'd have removed Wilshire and Rashford and picked Drinkwater and another defensive cover (albeit would need to be someone not in the 26 picked by Roy).  I'd also be tempted to take Townsend over Sterling on form
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »

Has anyone seen tighty?

Someone needs to check he's ok. Probably more devastated than drinkwater!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2016, 01:04:07 AM »

Never seen such outrage over an average DMC not making an England squad

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:23 AM »

Never seen such outrage over an average DMC not making an England squad

England's weakness: defence.

Drinkwater: last season more tackles than any other English player, more ball recoveries than Kante.

Oh, and he's fit. (unlike the variety of recent sicknotes travelling)

We go with six players who prefer to play number 10 (including one in Barkley who needs de-Martinez-isation and has lost form and confidence) and 4-5 strikers when we are only going to play one up

we go with 3 centre backs, one of whom needs daily treatment on a hip injury

We go with one defensive midfielder and leave the player best equipped to deputise for him if he has to go into the back four at home. (think this was pretty obvious in the last warm up game. Wlshere is better further forward than at the base of a diamond. Drinkwater was played out of position first half then at the base second half and it looked much better)

I hope we score a lot of goals, we might need to.

--

over and above any quibbles on squad balance and clearly there were some tight calls, does anyone really doubt that if Drinkwater had performed as he did but in an Arsenal or United shirt all season he wouldn't be on the plane?

of course not.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
swinebag22

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »

With you there tighty.

Squad looks very imbalanced. Could finish the tournament with Milner and Kane in defence if injuries/suspensions take hold.

Would have taken drinkwater and left 1 of the crocks (Sturrige, Henderson or Wiltshire)

Can't remember the last defensively weak team to win a major tourney
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »

I wouldn't have left Wilshere or Henderson.

I might have left Barkley behind and chosen the extra holding midfielder, just don't see how he gets any game time given the logjam at the position. He has got to beat out rooney/alli/lallana/sterling/milner plus the possibilitty of a striker playing wide in a three for game time?

It's also tough to leave Rashford out given last week, but that might also be a wasted space compared to a fourth centre back (say). If we are down two strikers through injury and suspension, for example, Sturridge would play ahead of Rashford, if fit?

anyway, lets hope we perform and that little bit of fitness luck goes our way

My eyes are open wide
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

Isn't a bit disconcerting that we are arguing about leaving out Danny Drinkwater and Andros Townsend as another side happily pass on the likes of Isco and Diego Costa

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »

Isn't a bit disconcerting that we are arguing about leaving out Danny Drinkwater and Andros Townsend as another side happily pass on the likes of Isco and Diego Costa

Nods (and Saul Niguez too)

though Spain have left out multiple attacking options, and one of the bi-products is they can accomodate an extra defensive midfielder

My eyes are open wide
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2016, 12:30:05 PM »

Meh that works both ways though.

Spain are taking 5 forwards that have played 171 league games this season and scored 52 goals.
England are taking 5 forwards (one hasn't played upfront this season) who have played 127 games and scored 70 goals.
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/19693/10301021/james-milner-above-toni-kroos-gareth-bale-and-paul-pogba-in-uefa-rankings-tool
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: