blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272627 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Romania and stuff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Romania and stuff  (Read 38588 times)
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 02:40:31 AM »

Enjoying it a lot so far. Thanks for starting the thread.

My questions are about cycling,

Who is your all time favourite cyclist from any era you have watched?

How has the widespread use of drugs amongst many top riders past (and perhaps present) impacted on your enjoyment of the sport? - For me knowing that almost all of my favourite riders from the 1990s and early 2000s were doped in some way has unfortunately tainted my view of the sport. How can I get around this and start enjoying watching these great athletes on their bikes again?

Have you visted any of Kazakhstan's neighbouring countries?

- I see occasional poker tournament series in Kazakhstan and I really would like to go!
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 03:58:13 AM »

Enjoying it a lot so far. Thanks for starting the thread.

My questions are about cycling,

Who is your all time favourite cyclist from any era you have watched?

How has the widespread use of drugs amongst many top riders past (and perhaps present) impacted on your enjoyment of the sport? - For me knowing that almost all of my favourite riders from the 1990s and early 2000s were doped in some way has unfortunately tainted my view of the sport. How can I get around this and start enjoying watching these great athletes on their bikes again?

Have you visted any of Kazakhstan's neighbouring countries?

- I see occasional poker tournament series in Kazakhstan and I really would like to go!

Wow what a question about cycling. I'll be honest. I grew up idolising Marco Pantani, I mean who couldn't love the guy? The antithesis of the metronomic riders like Indurain and Armstrong, a really cool dude and just fantastic to watch riding a bike. They everyone got busted and I was like you, how can you trust anyone? You can't and I still don't.
It's implausible to me that during the 90's and 2000's that if, a conservative estimate, one third of the peloton were doping how could any clean rider ever win a race? So in my eyes for two decades anyone who won a race was doping.
Now I don't care for any riders except the ones I've backed, I assume everyone is doping and factor that into my gambling.

A little anecdote about doping and gambling...

April 2013 and I'm watching the Giro Del Trentino and I see some journeyman Italian riding blasting away from some top climbers and finishing second behind a breakaway winner.

Click to see full-size image.

Mauro Santambrogio is a name that will live with me forever. I just knew he was doping, absolutely 100% with his little fat face flying up the steepest climbs Italy had to offer.

Literally before he crossed the line I was on Oddschecker looking up odds for the Giro D'Italia. 300/1! 300 to f***ing 1!
A quick check to make sure he was going to ride the race and I loaded up with a bet big enough to buy half a house.

Fast forward a few weeks and it's stage 14 of the Giro, the first real mountain stage. Nibali looks very strong but Wiggins has crashed and Santambrogio is hanging around the top 10 with a shot at making top 3 and banking me a 75/1 place winner.

I remember stage 14 vividly, well the last 200m because the fog was so bad that there was no live coverage except for a camera at the finishing line. Visibility was about 100m and I waited and waited watching an empty road until suddenly...

I saw the luminous yellow before I saw his fat face but I just knew. Trying to contain my excitement sat watching it with my wife was difficult to say the least.
When all was done and dusted Santambrogio was in 4th place overall just 1 second behind 3rd, he was clearly the strongest climber along with Nibali and a place was in the bag, hell Nibali could have a bad day or a crash and I'd be looking at a 300/1 winner.

A teammate of Santambrogio's was Danilo De Luca, a former Giro winner but a bit long in the tooth now, still a great teammate to have in the high mountains except he wasn't helping, he was attacking every day, in breaks, being a nuisance, I couldn't figure it out.
Then it happened, De Luca caught doping and thrown out of the race. The same day Santambrogio cracked on the mountains and struggled for the rest of the race finishing 11th or 12th or whatever.
A few weeks after the race Santambrogio was caught doping and banned.
Obviously the whole team was at it and when De Luca was caught, they stopped as the authorities were sniffing around the team.
If only De Luca hadn't been such a prick, Santambrogio would have kept doping until the end of the race, I'd have been paid out and then he'd still have been caught later but cycling is settled on the people who stand on the podium and I wouldn't have cared a jot.
Still hurts.
Jac

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »

Great thread
You've got me back reading blonde.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »

Great thread. Really interested.

What do you miss most about UK and if you moved back to the UK which things would you miss most about Kazakhstan?

Do the women there in general prefer non-Kazakh guys? (I live in Thailand where generally Westerners are seen as better catches than Thai men - though that varies from North to South a bit).

Thirdly - what do you think of Lance Armstong? I listened to a podcast with him and watched the infamous long documentary. Both very interesting and overrall I feel a bit sorry for him. Think coming back after cancer was a stupid move but in a sport where everyone was(is?) doping, he was just the best.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »

Great thread. Really interested.

What do you miss most about UK and if you moved back to the UK which things would you miss most about Kazakhstan?

Do the women there in general prefer non-Kazakh guys? (I live in Thailand where generally Westerners are seen as better catches than Thai men - though that varies from North to South a bit).

Thirdly - what do you think of Lance Armstong? I listened to a podcast with him and watched the infamous long documentary. Both very interesting and overrall I feel a bit sorry for him. Think coming back after cancer was a stupid move but in a sport where everyone was(is?) doping, he was just the best.

I miss very little about the UK, I guess I miss the spontaneous Sunday afternoons down the boozer with my mates watching Super Sunday but on the flip side I enjoy being away from all the drama and chew that drags down any close knit community(which I was from).
My parents visit every 18 months or so and my relationship is pretty fractious anyway so I have no qualms with that.

Kazkah women make a very clear choice, Asian style men or European style men. You can pick both. Clearly the size of the European guys wallet can be a crucial factor. They hear your British accent and think you're loaded, which you are in comparison to locals. Buyer beware as always.

I am totally ambivalent towards Armstrong beyond the fact that I agree with you that he is unfairly chastised at time. Everyone was doping(Ullrich, Pantani et al) and he was still the best, so I respect his ability to ride his bicycle but it should not be forgotten what a mean and horrible piece of shit he is. I'm sure you're already aware but the way he treated his soigneur Emma O'Reilly shows the kind of bloke he is.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »

Great read, enjoying this alot.

Back to an earlier point in regard to the film Borat. Obviously a piss take film, but im guessing could have had a massive negative effect in the country.
Is/was there anything done about it? Banned or covered up in the media etc? Obviously very different cultures to the ones here in the UK and might easily take more offence.

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 01:41:00 AM »

Regarding the horsemeat sausage, a Scots lad working in a mine in next door Kyrgyzstan thought he'd crack a joke about that. Not a good idea Smiley
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/kyrgyzstan/12079017/Briton-faces-five-years-in-jail-for-horse-penis-slur-on-Kyrgyzstan-sausage-delicacy.html
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 03:56:34 AM »

Back to an earlier point in regard to the film Borat. Obviously a piss take film, but im guessing could have had a massive negative effect in the country.
Is/was there anything done about it? Banned or covered up in the media etc? Obviously very different cultures to the ones here in the UK and might easily take more offence.

Kazakhs are not the biggest fans of Sasha Baron Cohen, I've tried to tell them that he wasn't taking the piss out of them but of Americans and their pre disposed stereotypes but it's understandable that they don't like it.
It was banned here but that seems to have the reverse effect that more people wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
Quite embarrassing that whenever my friends talk to me on social media that they usually start the message/post with Yo Borat and on my birthday they like to superimpose my face onto a man wearing a green mankini.

NB... This is not me
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 05:44:37 AM »

Regarding the horsemeat sausage, a Scots lad working in a mine in next door Kyrgyzstan thought he'd crack a joke about that. Not a good idea Smiley
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/kyrgyzstan/12079017/Briton-faces-five-years-in-jail-for-horse-penis-slur-on-Kyrgyzstan-sausage-delicacy.html

I remembering reading this story when it happened. Surprise surprise he wasn't jailed for 5 years, I think he has his visa revoked and was sent home.
Seems a little excessive to me but you have to remember that countries like Kyrgyzstan are heavily reliant on overseas investment and knowledge and they are sensitive to how their country is represented in the global media(social included).
As I said before horse meat is a delicacy eaten on special occasions, these people invited and accepted this guy to share their traditions and he took the piss.

I'd also like to note the irony of this Scottish guy bashing other countries dietary habits...

Hoping this post hasn't alienated any Scottish readers. This guy started it. Smiley Happy weekend everyone.
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 05:59:07 AM »

Nauryz

Nauryz is the official new year of the Kazakh people, it's celebrated each year on the Spring Equinox which this year is 21st of March.
The whole country shuts down for three days of celebration, festivities and giving thanks.
Entires city centre are transformed and transported into the glorious past of the Great Kazakh Steppe.
Its a tradition for everyone to dress up in the traditional Kazakh dress, like this...

and this

Traditional tents called yurts are erected in the main squares

You will be serenaded by the local instrument the dombra

A special broth is served only on this occasions. It's called Nauryz Kozhe and it's a milky, creamy soup with meat and rice. It's genuinely disgusting. It has a total of seven ingredients and they symbolise seven virtues or qualities. Joy, success, intelligence, health, wealth, agility and security.

Nauryz is the time when you forgive any enemies you have and make a fresh start to conincide with the fresh start to the year that the equinox brings.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:09:18 AM by TommyPlus » Logged
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:19 AM »

As for me I'm flying to Delhi next Monday to watch some of the t20 World Cup. I'm meeting my dad there, and I have not seen him in a year so I'm excited to spend some time with him as well.
If it's okay I'll do a few 'live' updates from Delhi as it should be more exciting than my 'wake up, go to work, go home, poker stars, bed' routine that I am in here.

Also excited for Cheltenham starting tomorrow and I'll post my picks in here just to give the diary a bit of diversity.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 02:27:07 AM »

As for me I'm flying to Delhi next Monday to watch some of the t20 World Cup. I'm meeting my dad there, and I have not seen him in a year so I'm excited to spend some time with him as well.
If it's okay I'll do a few 'live' updates from Delhi as it should be more exciting than my 'wake up, go to work, go home, poker stars, bed' routine that I am in here.

Also excited for Cheltenham starting tomorrow and I'll post my picks in here just to give the diary a bit of diversity.

Travelling, poker and cricket. My kinda guy.

Was inspired to watch a documentary on Turkmenistan because of this thread, i imagine the disparity probably makes Kazakhstan seem like a walk in the park. Might have been a biased doc but life in that country seems insanely farcical. Was wondering how do the Kazakh's view their "-stan" neighbours? Is there a rivarly with the Uzbeks as Borat suggests lol?
TommyPlus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »

Travelling, poker and cricket. My kinda guy.

Was inspired to watch a documentary on Turkmenistan because of this thread, i imagine the disparity probably makes Kazakhstan seem like a walk in the park. Might have been a biased doc but life in that country seems insanely farcical. Was wondering how do the Kazakh's view their "-stan" neighbours? Is there a rivarly with the Uzbeks as Borat suggests lol?

Hello Pal, I've tried at least half a dozen times to get a visa into Turkmenistan. I've always wanted to visit Derweze which is a village where this is located...

The so called 'Door To Hell', for anyone unaware of this phenomenon, a Soviet drilling rig was set up here in 1971 to exploit the countries rich reserves of natural gas, however the ground below this rig was unstable and collapsed leaving this 70 meter wide crater that was spewing out gas, the Soviets decided to burn off the gas and set it alight. Scientists anticipated the gas burning off in two days and it's still on fire 45 years later. Science, pah.
So anyway I've tried to get a visa 6 times and been rejected every time. They ask that you are accompanied by a local governmentally selected guide from the moment you set foot in the country until the moment you leave, like North Korea.

As for our neighbours, we live very close to the borders of the other 'stans' so there is quite a mix of ethnicities. As a nation Kazakhstan of course feels it's the 'best' of the stans, the biggest, the richest and most powerful. Infact around 18 months ago President Nazarbayev proposed changing the name of Kazakhstan to Казак ели(Kazakh Yeli) which translate as Kazakh Nation as he felt the 'stan' was stopping foreign investment as people heard the 'stan' and thought of Pakistan, Afghanistan and other places you'd rather not do business or visit.
What do you think?

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 08:15:28 AM »

Wow that looks incredible! Is there any reason why they keep denying your visa application?

Feed em rice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: