blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  They are dropping like flies at the moment
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: They are dropping like flies at the moment  (Read 210013 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #780 on: November 30, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »

Rooney/giggs/bobby does best beat any of them all time on the manure list?   Anyone who is in the top 5 all time globally surely needs to be an auto top player for their club all time?  right?

Way too measured an approach. I’ll agree with you in terms of overall impact on the club. You can add Cantona and Ronald to the list, and probably make an argument for Robson too.

Best could have eclipsed any of them, it’s hugely sad that he didn’t. His best days were better than any player I’ve witnessed. Cheating argie included.

I find that very disrespectful of someone who has just passed away but perhaps that's just me.

I wonder how many of those other great players, finding themselves in the same situation would have said "Don't count that one ref, it was hand ball"

BTW- Upper case C for Cheating, lower case a for argie?

The older I get, the better I was.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 30, 2020, 03:53:38 PM »

Rooney/giggs/bobby does best beat any of them all time on the manure list?   Anyone who is in the top 5 all time globally surely needs to be an auto top player for their club all time?  right?

Way too measured an approach. I’ll agree with you in terms of overall impact on the club. You can add Cantona and Ronald to the list, and probably make an argument for Robson too.

Best could have eclipsed any of them, it’s hugely sad that he didn’t. His best days were better than any player I’ve witnessed. Cheating argie included.

I find that very disrespectful of someone who has just passed away but perhaps that's just me.

I wonder how many of those other great players, finding themselves in the same situation would have said "Don't count that one ref, it was hand ball"

Upper case C at the start of a sentence, auto done by the software. Lower case a reflects a lack of attention to detail on my part.

As far as accusing me of being disrespectful, even if the comment hadn’t been tongue-in-cheek, why would my view change from the day before he died to the day after? My view of Jimmy Savile didn’t change when he died.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #782 on: November 30, 2020, 04:14:07 PM »

Upper case C at the start of a sentence, auto done by the software. Lower case a reflects a lack of attention to detail on my part.

As far as accusing me of being disrespectful, even if the comment hadn’t been tongue-in-cheek, why would my view change from the day before he died to the day after? My view of Jimmy Savile didn’t change when he died.

I did acknowledge that might just be peculiar to me but it's not like he was a mass murderer, he just didn't declare a handball while playing for his country. (You didn't say which of the other players mentioned would have BTW)
I think under the circumstances he could be cut a little slack, at least until the body is cold.

For the record, my view of Jimmy Savile did change after he died. I didn't know he was a paedophile until then.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 30, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »

Thierry Henry doesn’t get a fraction of the stick Maradona got and that was equally as bad.

Think people forget England cheated their way to a World Cup win in ‘66. But that’s ok.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 30, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »

Souness wrote a great article in the Sunday Times yesterday about Diego and put Best in his top five ever to kick a ball just to add some balance alongside the other obvious 'big 4'.
robbiebox
me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: November 30, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »

I think you need to remember Maradona was a drugs cheat too.

This tarnishes his achievements and with less longevity than Messi and Ronaldo, think he slips into 4th in the all time list.

Luckbox is my most successful strategy.
http://bigdealinabox.blogspot.com/
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 30, 2020, 10:55:13 PM »

What performance enhancing drugs did he take?   His drug addiction massively hindered his career rather than giving him any edge.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 30, 2020, 11:13:47 PM »

Imagine being the club's record-holder for most goals in a season, scoring more league goals than Charlton or Rooney, as well as being European Cup top scorer, Ballon D'Or winner, record goal-scorer for your country, playing (and scoring) for a World XI, being picked for the PFA Team of the Century (07-76) and being named by your country's FA as the most outstanding player of the past 50 years (1954–2003) - and not getting a mention in a list of MU's best players.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 30, 2020, 11:17:01 PM »

I did acknowledge that might just be peculiar to me but it's not like he was a mass murderer, he just didn't declare a handball while playing for his country. (You didn't say which of the other players mentioned would have BTW)
I think under the circumstances he could be cut a little slack, at least until the body is cold.

For the record, my view of Jimmy Savile did change after he died. I didn't know he was a paedophile until then.

Sheesh - does every word we type have to be taken seriously now?

We knew that Savile was a sexual predator a long time before he died. We may not have known the extent of his depravity, but we knew he wasn’t right.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 30, 2020, 11:22:24 PM »

Imagine being the club's record-holder for most goals in a season, scoring more league goals than Charlton or Rooney, as well as being European Cup top scorer, Ballon D'Or winner, record goal-scorer for your country, playing (and scoring) for a World XI, being picked for the PFA Team of the Century (07-76) and being named by your country's FA as the most outstanding player of the past 50 years (1954–2003) - and not getting a mention in a list of MU's best players.

Fair comment. Top top player. With his own piece of ball to hand infamy whilst playing for Scotland vs Wales.
And he scored ‘that’ goal for City...

robbiebox
me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: December 01, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »

What performance enhancing drugs did he take?   His drug addiction massively hindered his career rather than giving him any edge.

He took medical stimulants for the 1994 World Cup to produce rapid weight loss and was banned by FIFA. He also lied about it, trying to claim he was innocent as it was in a medical drink given by a physio.

Very likely that he took this regularly during various stages of his career.

South Americans have such a different attitude to unfair play, in the UK he would have been shunned by the media and career seriously dented.

Luckbox is my most successful strategy.
http://bigdealinabox.blogspot.com/
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 06, 2020, 11:51:13 AM »

Peter Alliss RIP.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: December 06, 2020, 12:01:09 PM »

Peter Alliss RIP.

Bugger. Peter Alliss was my favourite relic of a less PC age.

"An as he makes his way to the 18th green his wife looks on admiringly and dreams of a new kitchen"

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 06, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »

Peter Alliss RIP.

His final commentary of Augusta was very sad. If he hadn’t been introduced I wouldn’t have known it was him. The voice was totally different, and I wondered if he’d had some kind of surgery that would have affected his vocal chords...

Loved his commentaries earlier in his broadcasting career.

RIP
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 06, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »

Peter Alliss RIP.

Bugger. Peter Alliss was my favourite relic of a less PC age.

"An as he makes his way to the 18th green his wife looks on admiringly and dreams of a new kitchen"

Always loved listening to him and just like you Tom always enjoyed the little bits of naughtiness in there.  I know this is on here somewhere but his Golf hall of fame speech is a thing of beauty I think it encapsulates his naughty side without being in your face OTT like some can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_HSJ8niuKE

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 82 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: