blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  England Cricket chat
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 72 Go Down Print
Author Topic: England Cricket chat  (Read 170208 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 18, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »

ball of the century or hit a crack?

Hit a crack, imo.

Good ball, but a shade lucky.

Either way, it ended up as completely unplayable.

There was a com moment when they asked Sir Geoffrey if it would have get him out.

"No, I'd have knocked it though the covers for 4" he retorted.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 18, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »

I'll be amazed if we win an away series against anybody bar the minor nations. On the other hand, I'll be amazed if we ever lose a home series.

Problem you have is, and it's not just limited to us, all the major cricketing nations tend to have their own area of expertise.

Australia = pacey, bouncy wickets. They have the bowlers to exploit this and their batsmen are used to it. Give them a swinging ball under cloud cover and Steve Smith looks about as good as I am. And I'm shit.
India/Sri Lanka/Pakistan = Dusty, dry, spinners paradises. I think I read somewhere that India haven't won an away series in about 10 years, yet rarely lose at home. I wonder why...
England = Green, wobbly seamers. Look at Anderson/Broad/Woakes - up there with the best swing bowlers in the world. Our batsmen can play anything seaming off a length at 80-85mph, but shove it up their noses at 90+ and they're shitting themselves. To be fair, I would too!
South Africa = Same as Australia but their main issue is that they don't pick the best 11 players. Granted, neither do we, but their quota system royally screws them over.
West Indies = When they can get their main men to play Test Cricket, they have a shot. Unfortunately, just not good enough but their pitches are very much like Australia.
New Zealand = NZ are the only conundrum. On their day they look brilliant in most places (except the sub-continent), but they've been off the boil for so long now...

We'll always win at home because we're the only nation that plays on green seamers so naturally all the test pitches are like that. I know the CC has tried to fiddle with the rules to make spinners but that isn't working. There's no point trying to make roads or hard, pacey wickets because if you do, it pisses down and all the work is ruined. You want to make more fast bowlers, preferably ones that can swing it? The ECB and Counties need to accept two things:

1. Our counties play FAR too much cricket a season.
2. Accept that young pacemen growing up are going to concede runs when they get it wrong. Deal with it. Don't do what they did to Steve Finn and ruin his action because his economy rate was too high.

If I'm honest, I think we have too many counties. The Aussies and Kiwis have 6 teams. The South Africans have 6 franchises made up of 13 teams. When the 13 teams play separately, their FC games are 3 days long. End of. The Indians have 28 teams but play a maximum of 9 first class matches a year. We, on the other hand, play 14 FC games across 18 teams. That's a ridiculous amount, plus OD and T20 on top. It's too much.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:02:41 PM by KarmaDope » Logged
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 19, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »

In this decade away teams in Test cricket have lost 51% of their matches - the highest proportion in the history of Test cricket, excluding the 1870s when there were only three Test matches played.

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Noose

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 24, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »

I'll be amazed if we win an away series against anybody bar the minor nations. On the other hand, I'll be amazed if we ever lose a home series.

Problem you have is, and it's not just limited to us, all the major cricketing nations tend to have their own area of expertise.

Australia = pacey, bouncy wickets. They have the bowlers to exploit this and their batsmen are used to it. Give them a swinging ball under cloud cover and Steve Smith looks about as good as I am. And I'm shit.
India/Sri Lanka/Pakistan = Dusty, dry, spinners paradises. I think I read somewhere that India haven't won an away series in about 10 years, yet rarely lose at home. I wonder why...
England = Green, wobbly seamers. Look at Anderson/Broad/Woakes - up there with the best swing bowlers in the world. Our batsmen can play anything seaming off a length at 80-85mph, but shove it up their noses at 90+ and they're shitting themselves. To be fair, I would too!
South Africa = Same as Australia but their main issue is that they don't pick the best 11 players. Granted, neither do we, but their quota system royally screws them over.
West Indies = When they can get their main men to play Test Cricket, they have a shot. Unfortunately, just not good enough but their pitches are very much like Australia.
New Zealand = NZ are the only conundrum. On their day they look brilliant in most places (except the sub-continent), but they've been off the boil for so long now...

We'll always win at home because we're the only nation that plays on green seamers so naturally all the test pitches are like that. I know the CC has tried to fiddle with the rules to make spinners but that isn't working. There's no point trying to make roads or hard, pacey wickets because if you do, it pisses down and all the work is ruined. You want to make more fast bowlers, preferably ones that can swing it? The ECB and Counties need to accept two things:

1. Our counties play FAR too much cricket a season.
2. Accept that young pacemen growing up are going to concede runs when they get it wrong. Deal with it. Don't do what they did to Steve Finn and ruin his action because his economy rate was too high.

If I'm honest, I think we have too many counties. The Aussies and Kiwis have 6 teams. The South Africans have 6 franchises made up of 13 teams. When the 13 teams play separately, their FC games are 3 days long. End of. The Indians have 28 teams but play a maximum of 9 first class matches a year. We, on the other hand, play 14 FC games across 18 teams. That's a ridiculous amount, plus OD and T20 on top. It's too much.

South Africa tend to win more key test matches/ series overseas than most though?

They've won recent series in NZ, Australia and Sri Lanka where conditions haven't necessarily been familiar.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 24, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »

Can’t even be arsed watching it now  talktothehand
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 26, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »

I stayed up & watch the pre-lunch session, which ended something like 102/0.

A painful watch, we never threatened, every loose ball was punished, & there was not a single chance.

I liked the new lad, Curran, he might go on to be something.

I was very pleasantly surprised to wake up this morning & see the total was only 244, I had expected well over 350 judging by the morning session.

I fear tonight will be another painful watch.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 26, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »

On a brighter note, what a magnificent stadium MCG is, especially when full, as it was last night.

Largest stadium in Australia, ditto in the Southern Hemisphere. It's stunning.

It's used for a whole variety of Sports, too - Cricket, Football, RL, RU, Aussie Rules & so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 28, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »

Since Strauss retired, Cook’s scored 5401 runs.

He’s had 13 different opening partners, who have contributed almost exactly 2,000 runs fewer and only half his number of centuries (12).

(i thought he was losing it, tbh after the first three tests)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 28, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »

Yep it's been great stuff from Cooky the past few days. Been a few very weird wickets taken aswell. Both Vince and Malan appear to have nicked the ball (shown by the thermo's and snicko) but didn't appeal the lbw call, and then Broad very unfortunate to go after he was "caught" by Kawaja (100% spelt incorrectly). Would be nice to nick a consolation win or 2 before the end.

Feed em rice.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 28, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »

From James Taylor's Twitter

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 30, 2017, 01:31:22 AM »

About to head off to bed, we might have a sniff? Not watched any since second test loss  Cry
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 30, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »

About to head off to bed, we might have a sniff? Not watched any since second test loss  Cry

Sighhhh....the old "go to bed Smith is batting....wake up Smith is batting" routine

At least at a bit of momentum for the last test.....hopefully Crane can make an impact.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 07, 2018, 12:44:03 AM »

Amazing scenes in the Test at a blisteringly hot SCG.

The Marsh brothers are both at the crease, and both have made a century.

Can you imagine how proud their parents must be?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 07, 2018, 12:45:36 AM »

Oops, Mitchell Marsh is clean bowled first ball after making his century.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 10, 2018, 10:32:04 PM »

Really baffling selections for the New Zealand tour.  England have dropped 3 players who barely played and retained all those who played fairly poorly.  Surely they could find at least one fall guy from that lot?  I get that it was tough and players deserve a fair chance, but if that is the case why drop Curran? 

I suppose at least the series is winnable even with that lot.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 72 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: