blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Dave Colclough
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dave Colclough  (Read 23542 times)
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 11:27:54 PM »

Terrible news. R.I.P   

maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »

Absolutely gutted.  My condolences to Dave's family and the people who were close to him.
mouth

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2016, 12:16:55 AM »

I first met Dave about six years ago, and last heard from him after he moved to a Liverpool hospital in August, while I was expecting this, it still came as a shock.

I won't pretend we knew each other well, but had a shared love of a few old bands, as well as other connections, and sporadically kept in touch. I'm genuinely quite upset by the news of his untimely death and will always give a nod to his memory whenever i hear a song by The Cars.

RIP El Blondie x

Don't tell her to turn down, put on your shades if you can't see
Don't tell her to turn down, turn up the flame.

http://gobshiteonlegs.blogspot.com/
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »

10 years ago blonde ran a poker school evening in London and it was there I first met Dave. 
Fantastic evening and great words of wisdom spoken in a teaching class from him....never forgotten.

RIP Dave.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2016, 01:02:47 AM »

Thomas Stott
8 mins ·
Sorry to hear of the passing of poker player Dave Colclough. Fans of the original Late Nite Poker in the late nineties/early noughties will remember him from there.
I've got fond memories of Mr Colclough. After mucking around with online poker in 2004 and 2005 and doing ok (because all the online players back in those days were even more terrible than me) I moved to Glasgow in late 2005 with pretentions of being a professional poker player.
I moved into a flat in Wallace Street and made my way down the road to the Cincinnati Card Club one evening. Colclough had recently moved to Glasgow himself and bought an interest in the venue. He was there that first might I went in.
They were trying to organise a winner take all freezeout tournament with 10 players and a buy-in of £1000. In the end there were just 6 players and the buy in was £500. I was one of them.
It was a bit rich for my blood. I allowed myself the oppurtunity to play because.. well... although I called myself a professional gambler back then - my attitude tended to be more geared towards the 'gambler' part than the 'professional'.
The tournament itself came down to me and Mr Colclough playing heads up for the pot of £3000. We took a break and went to relieve ourselves in the toilet.
The tournament was just a casual evening for Mr Colclough, who no doubt knew how green I was. (Though I was trying my best to play the part)
The eveing was as much about public relations for him than it was maximizing his equity. So it came to pass as we stood doing our business in adjacent urinals that he offered me a 'saver'
A saver is a deal where instead of winner take all, you agree that whoever wins pays the loser something. Dave suggested a saver of £500
I played it cool, pretended I wasn't desperate to cash out for as much as I could right then and there and said, yeah could do - or we could take a grand each and play for the other one?
Dave agreed to this. As I say, the evening wasn't about killing fish like me who may come back.
We played out the rest of the tournament - I got lucky (the only way I could have won) and ended up being pushed the £3000 prize pool.
I gave Dave his £1000 a few minutes later while he was talking to someone else. I remember thinking how cool it all was when he popped it in his pocket without counting it and resuming his conversation.
The biggest game of my life to that point was to him part of normal weekday evening playing cards. I count the change I bought my drink at the bar, he sticks a grand in his pocket like it's a bar of chocolate.
I got to know him a little bit in the next few months. He offered me the job of being the card room manager. I initially took the job, then after a couple of days (when I realised how out of my depth I was) I backed out of the gig. He was very understanding about it all and didn't bear a grudge for me wasting his time.
He liked to give young guys a chance with his buisness interests. In my case that didn't work out but I know a few young guys similar to myself who worked for him in other areas for a long time. They report having been grateful for the trust placed in them - and they did good work.
I'm not the most observant man in the world, and I was oblivious to much of the intrigue and gossip in the poker world. To me Dave Colclough was always a gentleman, always a man I looked up to, and a man who I'll always remeber for giving me a chance.
I've heard the news this evening that he has passed away, aged 52. Tragic irony that a card player should die at this age, his deck being depleted. It's too young, he deserved more years in my opinion - but of course cancer doesn't work like that.
RIP Dave Colclough.

Stolen from ''thetank's' Facebook.

Hope he doesn't mind.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2016, 01:28:19 AM »

Thomas Stott
8 mins ·
Sorry to hear of the passing of poker player Dave Colclough. Fans of the original Late Nite Poker in the late nineties/early noughties will remember him from there.
I've got fond memories of Mr Colclough. After mucking around with online poker in 2004 and 2005 and doing ok (because all the online players back in those days were even more terrible than me) I moved to Glasgow in late 2005 with pretentions of being a professional poker player.
I moved into a flat in Wallace Street and made my way down the road to the Cincinnati Card Club one evening. Colclough had recently moved to Glasgow himself and bought an interest in the venue. He was there that first might I went in.
They were trying to organise a winner take all freezeout tournament with 10 players and a buy-in of £1000. In the end there were just 6 players and the buy in was £500. I was one of them.
It was a bit rich for my blood. I allowed myself the oppurtunity to play because.. well... although I called myself a professional gambler back then - my attitude tended to be more geared towards the 'gambler' part than the 'professional'.
The tournament itself came down to me and Mr Colclough playing heads up for the pot of £3000. We took a break and went to relieve ourselves in the toilet.
The tournament was just a casual evening for Mr Colclough, who no doubt knew how green I was. (Though I was trying my best to play the part)
The eveing was as much about public relations for him than it was maximizing his equity. So it came to pass as we stood doing our business in adjacent urinals that he offered me a 'saver'
A saver is a deal where instead of winner take all, you agree that whoever wins pays the loser something. Dave suggested a saver of £500
I played it cool, pretended I wasn't desperate to cash out for as much as I could right then and there and said, yeah could do - or we could take a grand each and play for the other one?
Dave agreed to this. As I say, the evening wasn't about killing fish like me who may come back.
We played out the rest of the tournament - I got lucky (the only way I could have won) and ended up being pushed the £3000 prize pool.
I gave Dave his £1000 a few minutes later while he was talking to someone else. I remember thinking how cool it all was when he popped it in his pocket without counting it and resuming his conversation.
The biggest game of my life to that point was to him part of normal weekday evening playing cards. I count the change I bought my drink at the bar, he sticks a grand in his pocket like it's a bar of chocolate.
I got to know him a little bit in the next few months. He offered me the job of being the card room manager. I initially took the job, then after a couple of days (when I realised how out of my depth I was) I backed out of the gig. He was very understanding about it all and didn't bear a grudge for me wasting his time.
He liked to give young guys a chance with his buisness interests. In my case that didn't work out but I know a few young guys similar to myself who worked for him in other areas for a long time. They report having been grateful for the trust placed in them - and they did good work.
I'm not the most observant man in the world, and I was oblivious to much of the intrigue and gossip in the poker world. To me Dave Colclough was always a gentleman, always a man I looked up to, and a man who I'll always remeber for giving me a chance.
I've heard the news this evening that he has passed away, aged 52. Tragic irony that a card player should die at this age, his deck being depleted. It's too young, he deserved more years in my opinion - but of course cancer doesn't work like that.
RIP Dave Colclough.

Stolen from ''thetank's' Facebook.

Hope he doesn't mind.

Great post Tank.

I remember the first time DC asked me if I wanted to swap a percentage in a tournemnt, I thought about for about 0.00001 seconds, but played it cool and hummed and hawed a bit before agreeing. Secretly thrilled that a legend like him would offer a greenhorn like me a swap. I really thought I'd made it that day.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2016, 01:53:28 AM »

R.I.P Dave
Genuinely feel saddened by this news . A sad day for poker .
It also goes to show how well respected he was ,in the way heroes of blonde days gone by,  have stopped by and posted their condolences .
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:59:24 AM by I KNOW IT » Logged

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2016, 03:22:52 AM »

That is a lovely piece by Thomas.

Such terrible news. Dave was an absolute gentleman and will be missed by so many of us.

R.I.P

x
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:25:04 AM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2016, 03:54:59 AM »

Extrmely sad news. Condolences to his family and a great loss for poker and particularly for this forum. Have many good memories of times with Dave. His heads up against Barry Neville in Manchester is one of them, but I think my favourite was sharing drinks with him in the Bellagio at the Fontana bar, on the day after he got a new tatooo. It was an enormous image of a women on his arm and even he was shocked, saying he never asked for it to be that big. Will be sorely missed. RIP Dave.
Peter Costa

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:23 AM »

So gutted. Spoke with David about 5-6 weeks ago and we talked about the old days and my brother Kim (Dave came to hid funeral).  It was so good chatting it really brought home how much I enjoyed his company and talking about Liverpool FC.  I was planning to meet him when I come over soon - sad beyond beyond words. Just a great guy and will be missed by many. R.I.P David.
Clonmel
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2016, 04:41:14 AM »

IT is with great sadness that I heard of the sad death of El Blondie tonight.   It's been years since I posted on this site having once been one of the proud co owners of the site with Dave and Tikay and others.  I had to re register in order to do so and apologies for not having the same username.  
Dave never sought to show just how good he was, or how superior a player he was.  He was a gentleman on and off the table.  He took and gave many beats with exactly the same amount of humility.  He was always a great ambassador for how the game should be played.  I had the great pleasure once to spend a week with him in the Turks and Cacaos Islands.  Actually Devilfish was there as well.   What a great Omaha game those two will be having now.    During the week we all went sea fishing.  I swear to you I have never seen a man with such a white body.   The glare was incredible.   We all took bets on how long it would take for him to get sun burned.  As we were all busy putting sun cream on it was already to late.  Less than 10 minutes.  He took it in his stride and caught the biggest fish.  Not for the first or last time.  
He encouraged new players. He spoke up when it was needed to protect the game he loved.  I just wish he had a few bracelets to show for his game. Judging by the heart felt messages on this board he has at least won the World Series of gentlemen poker players.  RIP
Denis O Mahoney.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »

Was one of the first poker heroes for me.

When watching LNP he didn't seem to fit the standard requirements and I loved seeing his flickery eyes as he tried to read people.

It was one of those special moments when I first got to play with him, and as stated so many times before, he was an absolute gent with a wonderful quiet sense of humour.

I didn't realise he was so young. RIP Dave.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »

Very sad news. RIP Dave

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »

Terrible news RIP Dave
julian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »

Like many I was a huge DC fanboy & was always thrilled when I got a chance to play with him. He had a unique demeanour at the table & I loved the way he’d hunch himself over his stack & casually let a handful of chips fall out onto the table.
He was one of the first to small-ball it in Europe & was always happy to discuss why he done this or that; a lovely guy & a huge influence, never to be forgotten.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: