blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Polk/Torelli Live at the Bike. Early contender for hand of the year?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Polk/Torelli Live at the Bike. Early contender for hand of the year?  (Read 9023 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »

good, or merely routine?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »

Well I enjoyed it, if nobody else did.

Quite entertaining actually.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »

Alec Torelli never was a fan of that fold button Tongue

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »

Only just seen this.

Sick hand!

Glad I only play poker in Vegas, so at least I'm sometimes not the biggest fish at the table Grin

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »

Its a bit much with the Jack of spades but its probably good vs Polk with the dynamic, although then we are playing a guessing/level war rather than gto poker. Commentary is awful and shows just why better poker players shouldn't be in the booth.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:55:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's an iffy turn barrel from polk fwiw, I think he's supposed to give up with a few hands and I think 86cc is about the worst hand possible?

I think if we analyse it properly torelli is supposed to call turn and fold river, and polk not supposed to barrel the turn.

Sometimes you gotta look a man in the eyes though :-)

Propa poka

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »

Completely agree re-commentary, not sure if it's fair to say it's bad to have good players in the booth but definitely being a good player doesn't make you a good commentator.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's an iffy turn barrel from polk fwiw, I think he's supposed to give up with a few hands and I think 86cc is about the worst hand possible?

I think if we analyse it properly torelli is supposed to call turn and fold river, and polk not supposed to barrel the turn.

Propa polka

FYP

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

Propa poka

If your saying Polk shouldn't be barrelling the turn, then Torelli shouldn't be calling the turn as the commentator points out.

I think its unfair saying the commentating is bad, its extremely good content from one of the guys. Whether you guys as a winning player want that sort of content being delivered in the public domain is your problem I'm afraid.

@whollyflush on twitter
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »

Not sure if the complaints are about the content, style or delivery of the commentary but as a fish I though it was pretty good.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »

The content of the commentary was good imo, it'd be better if they toned down the technical stuff though

If people need to need to know what a percentile of a distribution is before they can start getting interested in poker on TV, that isn't good for growth prospects

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »

The content of the commentary was good imo, it'd be better if they toned down the technical stuff though

If people need to need to know what a percentile of a distribution is before they can start getting interested in poker on TV, that isn't good for growth prospects

This is the thing.

If I'm watching golf, I don't need

"McIlroy can see the wind is coming from the South East at a fairly static 7mph. The ground on the green is drying but has a little moisture under the surface, so there should be a roughly 20% lower than normal bounce. So, he needs to play his standard six iron draw 10% higher than he would normally, in order to give him optimal reaction on landing. He'll aim it at 1:30 because that should give him the necessary draw in, given the wind.

He could alternatively play a seven iron with a lower trajectory and I don't hate that option. I mean, I guess he could do that and I've seen people play that shot in this spot before. It's a higher variance line because of the speed he'll be approaching the green with and I personally prefer limiting my range of outcomes."

Not many commentators in poker have worked that out.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »

This is the thing.

If I'm watching golf, I don't need

"McIlroy can see the wind is coming from the South East at a fairly static 7mph. The ground on the green is drying but has a little moisture under the surface, so there should be a roughly 20% lower than normal bounce. So, he needs to play his standard six iron draw 10% higher than he would normally, in order to give him optimal reaction on landing. He'll aim it at 1:30 because that should give him the necessary draw in, given the wind.

He could alternatively play a seven iron with a lower trajectory and I don't hate that option. I mean, I guess he could do that and I've seen people play that shot in this spot before. It's a higher variance line because of the speed he'll be approaching the green with and I personally prefer limiting my range of outcomes."

Not many commentators in poker have worked that out.

It was very hard to listen to even for a few minutes.  God knows how a casual poker viewer could listen to it at all never mind for a few hours.  You are right the vast majority of poker comm's just don't get it or their audience.

Imagine the head of advanced analytics for an NFL team comm'ing on MNF on the NFL in a similar manner.  The viewing figures would fall through the floor.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:14:35 PM by arbboy » Logged
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »

The people who watch live at the bike (and especially this episode) are more advanced than somebody stumbling across it on bbc at 1am.

Probably at least half of the people watching have watched some of Dougs strategy videos.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »

unblocks 99 - QQ which will be part of his range we are expecting success vs and also unblocks both flush draws so we can expect a lot of success on none spade / diamond rivers, it's a bad turn bet if not intending to follow Through favourable rivers though but since it's Polk I'm sure he had a plan.. Also expecting him to do some X/raising on turn with his very good hands so this makes river bet v good and highly successful as opponents range is gonna be weaker. Also we have bottom of range on river so bluff is mandatory
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: