blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48607 times)
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2019, 10:00:58 PM »

Morning.

I have nearly done the couch to 5k again (am on week 9), but I hit a barrier with the weather on Friday.

I think it was just above freezing and I was having more trouble breathing than normal.   Earlier in the week I'd run in the 3.5 to 4k region twice without much of a struggle.  On Friday I was feeling bad before I had gone 1k and jacked it in before 2k.   It wasn't that I was cold (I had layers on), it just felt that the air was too cold, if that makes sense.  When I checked the times, I had noticeably slowed in the second kilometre too (from 7'45" a kilometre to nearly 9'00" a kilometre, which is the speed I was going just after restarting).  8 minutes a kilometre was normal pace earlier in the week.

Is this standard in cold weather, or was it likely I was just suffering with a bug or something.  If the former, do other people just run slower, or shorter distances, when it is really cold?   I read that you can put a scarf or something over your mouth to keep your breath warm, but can't see that making it easier to breathe.

Hi Doobs,
I am still running quite a bit after a long break with injuries.

Regarding running in the cold I have noticed what you are saying as I used t suffer with Asthma. You can get a neck gaiter to cover your mouth a few people at the running club wear them.

I just basically warm up for a longer time and at a slower pace, once i get going all is good.

I am currently running about 3 times a week and doing around 40km a week which I am happy with.

I have a 10k race booked in for Feb and hopefully I will do a half & full marathon next year if i stay injury free.

My stats so far:

1k  - 3:37
1 mile  - 6:07
5k - 19:48
10k - 42:32
Half-Marathon - 1:41:29

Cheers and happy running for 2020!

They are cracking times.  Anything below 20 for a parkrun is pretty smart; you must be knocking on 80% on the age adjusted performance?  Maybe if I get to 40% I'll have made it.

Funny you should mention you had asthma, I used to have it as a child, but haven't really suffered since leaving school.  I played football fairly regularly until my early 30s, but when I was struggling I'd just take a breather.  Whilst sauntering round having a bit of a breather, you are still playing football, but stopping to walk is less easy to justify as "running".  I did worry a bit that it might be asthma returning, but I certainly don't suffer like my wife does when she has shortness of breath (she definitely has asthma).  Do you carry an inhaler just in case or just assume you can stop and it will go away?

I was feeling a bit less under the weather today, so will probably have a go again tomorrow.   

Good luck with your marathon, I can't see me ever getting there, but guess you can never say never.  I did think there was a good chance that I'd nver get to 5k when I first tried. 

The sub 20 5k wasnt a park run, I just  checked my best park run and it was 20:36 /70.47% age grading and I finished 3rd. My best Parkrun result.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »

Normal service was resumed.  I wore something like this earlier:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ski/ski-accessories/neck-warmers-snoods/superstretch-fleece-neck-gaiter-p12569.aspx/black/

I did try putting it over my mouth, but couldn't do that for more than a few seconds.  Whether it was physical or pscyhological it made me happier running this morning.  I suspect I have cleared whatever bug I had too.

Anyway I did nearly 29 minutes at 7'51" pre kilometre, which is around where I was hoping to be at the end of this week.  I should be going for 30 minutes on the couch to 5k schedule, but that was at the bottom of a steep slope, so I thought calling it a day was a good option there.  I was only planning on going 20 minutes when I set off just to see how I felt, so I am very pleased with that. 

This is great progress, but don't get too obsessed with what the C25k expects of you, as it isn't for everyone within the 9 week timescale it advises.  I've now got 43 parkruns and 2 x 10k finishes to my name, but still wouldn't be able to do the C25k plan in that timescale, as it relies on people achieving a certain pace with their running.

If you struggle, stay focused on running for an increasing period of time, irrespective of pace or distance achieved.  The ability to run continuously is the important goal to doing a 5k, not the pace at which you do it.  You can work on pace once running the 5k becomes second nature to you.

Hi Sheriff.   If it wasn't clear, I did the couch to 5k two years ago and my goal then was just to run the 5k.  This time I want to see if I can do it in less than 40 minutes.  I am not sure if I can, but am planning two runs before a parkrun a week on Saturday.   If I can get to 4k in under 32 minutes, I'll try for the 40 minutes.  If I can't, then I might try and just finish it again.

Last time I did it, I discovered that my phone was making optimistic distancd readings, so 6.5k on my phone was only 5k in parkrun terms.   So I ended up going further and at a much slower pace than I expected.   This time I am a bit more confident that my (new) phone is reading the distances better, so hopefully I am on track.   I won't be too surprised if I end up doing 42 minutes again because of poor watch readings or just because the extra 1.5k is going to be a crawl.  I don't know what I am going to do if the temperature is around freezing point at 9am a week on Saturday.

After my original target was flooded off, I managed to make it this morning.  My phone measured 5.19kms at 7m55s per km, but parkrun had me at 41 minutes exact for 5km.  So I am not sure if I made my target or not.  I beat a lot more home than last time and got a PB, so all good.   I am also averaging 5k running a day so far in 2020...  I don't think I have to go much quicker to get 40 minutes, as I slowed noticeably in the last kilometre.  A mother and daughter went past me in that kilometre and beat me by 40 seconds, so a tiny bit more pace and better stamina will do it.

Happy New Year those that run, shuffle or don't do either.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »

After my original target was flooded off, I managed to make it this morning.  My phone measured 5.19kms at 7m55s per km, but parkrun had me at 41 minutes exact for 5km.  So I am not sure if I made my target or not.  I beat a lot more home than last time and got a PB, so all good.   I am also averaging 5k running a day so far in 2020...  I don't think I have to go much quicker to get 40 minutes, as I slowed noticeably in the last kilometre.  A mother and daughter went past me in that kilometre and beat me by 40 seconds, so a tiny bit more pace and better stamina will do it.

Well done.  Don't forget that parkrun will potentially slow you down due to congestion around the course, especially on NYD when about half of the runs hit new attendance records.

I was part of 2 parkrun course record attendances of 740 at Woodhouse Moor and 362 at Potternewton, as I did the NYD Double for the 2nd year in a row.  I was near-last at both, but have now got parkrun number 50 in sight, having done #47 and #48 yesterday.  I'm working back from a knee injury that has restricted my running in the latter half of 2019.  2020 is all about working my way back to the performance levels of early 2019, and then ultimately improving on them.  I'll need to drop weight to achieve this, which will hopefully help with the knee rehab too.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »

Well done guys, i will be back at my local park run tomorrow morning after a long break.

Taking it easy though as I have a massive challenge ahead of me this year which I have just signed up to!

Good luck to everyone running in 2020...

Dapper Street Menswear
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »

Well done guys, i will be back at my local park run tomorrow morning after a long break.

Taking it easy though as I have a massive challenge ahead of me this year which I have just signed up to!

Good luck to everyone running in 2020...

Wow, that's mad.   Are you doing both days? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »

Well done.  Don't forget that parkrun will potentially slow you down due to congestion around the course, especially on NYD when about half of the runs hit new attendance records.

I was part of 2 parkrun course record attendances of 740 at Woodhouse Moor and 362 at Potternewton, as I did the NYD Double for the 2nd year in a row.  I was near-last at both, but have now got parkrun number 50 in sight, having done #47 and #48 yesterday.  I'm working back from a knee injury that has restricted my running in the latter half of 2019.  2020 is all about working my way back to the performance levels of early 2019, and then ultimately improving on them.  I'll need to drop weight to achieve this, which will hopefully help with the knee rehab too.

It was busier today than NYD.  There is a bit of congestion in the first half kilometre, as we have to go through a bottle neck as the ground on the main course has been wrecked by rain and runners.  I don't mind it too much, as it stops me going off too quick.   

Did the 40 minutes officially today.   My timing was much closer to my phone today and did 39:20, so maybe there was a glitch today or at NYD.   I was about 1:10 faster than last time, so timed it pretty perfectly on the last run.  I was just a bit quicker on each kilometre and just kept up the pace in the last kilometre.  I was pretty pleased with it, as all 5 kilometres were pretty even throughout, despite only looking at the time at 2kms and 4kms. 

I can't do any more for a few weeks as the kids both do stuff on Saturday mornings and we go away at half term.   I need to keep running and mix in a bit of cycling from now and maybe just enjoy parkrun a bit more from now on.  To be fair I am enjoying some of the runs now, and haven't suffered in the cold for a few weeks now.  I suffer from sleep apnoea, and think that is improving too as I get fitter, though it is hard to tell given I am sleeping. 

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2020, 11:13:10 PM »

For the first time ever we had the whole family out today, with my youngest (6yo) taking on the full 5k after doing the junior 2k ones for a couple of years. I ran with my 9yo and my wife jogged round with the younger one.

Great way to start the weekend and it's amazing to see the growth and popularity of the Park Run concept. All you hear on the radio from 8am are messages from people on the way to their local race.

I had never heard of the "special" races before either, so ended up attending both Xmas Day and NY Day races in the past couple of weeks. Pretty impressive crowds!

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »

I don't normally read these, but it sounded like someone I know.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2020/01/28/nothing-to-be-embarrassed-about/

Congrats on the 50 Curtis

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »

Wp Sheriff.

The older I get, the better I was.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »

tl;dr

well done Riff.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »

I don't normally read these, but it sounded like someone I know.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2020/01/28/nothing-to-be-embarrassed-about/

Congrats on the 50 Curtis

Thanks Doobs.

They filmed the video clip linked in the story at my local parkrun, and liked my story so much that they wanted to do an article to coincide with my 50th.  I also did a phone interview with Vassos Alexander earlier this week for the Free, Weekly Timed podcast so the media saturation will be fully completed on Friday.

Will be sneaking in parkrun #51 before travelling to DTD on Saturday for the APAT team event.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »

Well done Curtis, top man.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2020, 08:27:04 PM »

Great stuff Curtis!

Dapper Street Menswear
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2020, 11:01:51 PM »

Awesome, good work.

A couple of times in Jan i attempted to jog round the 5k with the dog, and then play 80 minutes of rugby in the afternoon. Unfortunately i've realised I am not (and prob never was!) fit enough to do this without letting the team down later on.

Therefore the past couple of weeks i've just been a Park Run spectator, walking the dog while the rest of the family run it.

It's definitely the diversity that makes it special. There were a couple of guys within a few seconds of each other up front duelling for a sub 19 minute 1st finisher spot, walkers at the back coming in comfortably over an hour, and then all sorts of ages, shapes, sizes, and athletic ability in between.

Anyone reading this thread who hasn't been should try to get along soon Smiley

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »

Quick Update
The Ultra i was planning on running in June was cancelled, no surprises there and just when I thought I had got away with it they converted it to a virtual 100km.

The challenge was to run 100km in the week, this started on Monday 6th July.

Anyway, i thought i would give it a go, the most I have managed in a week was about 40 miles (65km) so the plan was on the Monday to attempt 50km straight through as this is an Ultra distance and then split up the other 50km over the rest of the week.

The good news is I completed this yesterday all 100km. and I also managed the 50km straight through on Monday! (i honestly never thought any of this was possible).

So this week i have managed.

My first marathon distance run, first 50km ultra run and my first 100km weekly mileage..

The 53miler double marathon has been differed until June 2021 so I have still got that challenge to go at.

Other news, still missing the park runs and hope they can get going soon.

Hope everyone else is still managing a few miles, Cheers!

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: