blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:28:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The heart of a lion - A long and winding quest for wrist jewellery
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The heart of a lion - A long and winding quest for wrist jewellery  (Read 29695 times)
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »

Hi mate, I found last night particularly tough, for some reason I couldn't keep my eyes open and it without doubt affected my play, I knew I should have just de registered and not played the tournaments after the main but I couldn't do it as UKOPS is quite special for me and I don't really want to miss any of it, however unless Sky shuts up shop I'm sure they will continue to put on the greats series' that they do.

I know we don't know each other and have only just "virtually" met so feel free to tell me to mind my own,  I get that you are in with a great shout of winning the leaderboard and tonight is the last night but the sentence " I feel the least prepared I have ever for exams for these upcoming exams so will need to get on top of it today" should get more attention. Just as I knew last night I shouldn't have played maybe you should consider how important passing these couple of last exams are. It might be fine and dandy to cool of tonight after studying by playing half a UKOPS schedule but it might also be an idea to miss it altogether so that you can put to bed what you have been working on the last few years.

Just playing devil's advocate, will still enjoy sharing a table with you tonight if you play.

Hey omm,

Feel free to question anything I write or don't. I know absolutely no offence is meant and none is taken mate!

I understand how it may read that way if read in a vacuum so to speak. Basically I got thoroughly bored with these studies a long time ago. I loved college but have hated uni. It has nothing to do with difficulty level as my grades are top 5-10%. I have just found the whole uni experience to be; impersonnel, a tad snobbish, poorly structured and I don't intend to work in psychology after graduating. I considered leaving altogether but as I was 2 years+ into it I thought I would just try and get on with it. My grade average also means I only need 30% to pass these exams and leave with the regular BA in psychology. Even if I fail them, it would just be a case of resitting them in June (I really don't want that though as I want to see the back of the place).

I also don't want to sound like I don't value education, because I really do! It is just the way it is done in uni. I loved my time at college and honestly feel I learned more in 1 year at college than I did in 3 years at uni. At college they had me on a teaching placement, coordinating community projects and doing all sorts of stuff. Then when I started uni the assumption of almost all (not all though thankfully) teaching staff was that they thought I may need a wee hand to tie my shoelaces.

I don't know maybe I do sound a bit brattish upon reflection, I treat everyone I encounter in real life with a high dose of respect and if I spotted someone in need, whether I knew them or not, I would be one of the first in line to help if I could. Having said that, I was a little shit in my high school days and highly rebellious. I would have been a proper pain to teach. I guess I still have a bit of that deep underneath lol. Not too much though, I still keep in touch (3 years down the road) with all the teaching staff from college.

Anyways you are still correct to an extent, to get the 30% in each I will need to know a certain level of detail. I have put a huge day studying in today and the first exam is sort of taken care of now. The one for Wednesday I have work to do on but will spend all night tomorrow brushing up on Smiley

Always a pleasure shaing a table with you too even if it does regularly cost me chips Cheesy Hopefully we are both feeling it a bit more tonight and can get a little run good!
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »

Found a compromise anyway... Instead of listening to music while I play I am listening to lectures in the background Smiley If I timeout at the table just give me a nudge to waken me up!
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2017, 12:40:14 AM »

Quick little update before I get my beauty sleep.

I only intended to play the 5 tourneys tonight and was giving the £110 and £530 a miss. I had a change of heart and decided to late register the £110 as I was playing anyway. Glad I did, I bust everything else but finished 8th in the £110 for around £600 including bounties so a profit of just under £400 for the night. Would have been nice to run a little deeper but ran my 44 into TT with 15 BB's. No complaints though, had a good UKOPS with 13 cashes including 2 wins, got to play with Matt and Doobs and Tikay's mate George, aka Glencoelad a little tonight and the tables were enjoyable.

I think I have won the UKOPS leaderboard and the £1260 tourney entry. I don't see any of the people who were in contention too deep in anything but will wait for the official update tomorrow.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »

Well done Mark - thoroughly deserved.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/ukops-leaderboard

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »

Thank you very much Mr T!

Your blogs have been superb throughout UKOPS.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

Congrats, great result.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »

After 4 years studying the BA degree in psychology is finally completed!

Time to have a break for a bit and turn up the poker volume.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »

Morning all

Now that I finally have a little bit of time on my hands I am hoping to do a bit of 'poker studying'. If anyone has any tips on what to watch/read I would be grateful! I am more a video watching person than a book reader although if there is an 'amazing book' I would read it.

I used to love watching training videos on PXF from Bax, Sheets, Pearjammer, AJKhoosier etc but I don't think they do many these days and I guess there will be more relevant players to watch by now. Does anyone still use PXF? Are there better alternatives these day?

Have found a few videos by Doug Polk so far, he seems to know what he is talking about but I don't know that much about him or how well his content is recieved.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »

A little update as the dust settles after UKOPS and studying.

Would be really grateful for any tips from the previous post, I know between you all you have probably read every poker book, watched every training video and been active on every training site lol.

The main driver for playing almost the full UKOPS schedule was that I was playing mostly PLO8 but, after 10 years, the penny was starting to drop that my ROI wasn't much lower at NLHE than it was at PLO8 and there are just so many more NLHE MTT offerings. Also my biggest scores were from NLHE games. Didn't take me long to realise huh?...

In that vein I have continued to plod along mostly at the NLHE tables albeit not with huge volume as I am easing back into the playing sort of full time thing. It was mostly a case of one step forward and one step backward for a week, I guess 'Che-Cha'ing like this has to be expected in NLHE MTT's, especially with the larger field sizes. Last night after calling a 45k open shove from UTG+1 (6 handed) @ 1500-3000 with my 77k stack in a £33 BH with AQs and facing AKo (getting no help for a top 5 stack), I thought it was more of the same...

Was still left in the Sky 'Mini' £5.50 BH though with a 30k stack and with 1 table left I soon ran it up to 1.5million and had the chip lead with around 16 left. Then we get that AQs hand again on the BTN @ 10k-20k versus a 700k stack in the BB whom had been showing resistance. I 3x open and 'Mr BB Defender' duly 3 bet ships his 700k in, ugg! I snap call despite the previous tourney, I mean we can't be results orientated can we?! Well he shows AJo so the read is correct at least. Window card is the J, FFS here we go again... But wait a Q is also on the flop, happy days indead! That nasty little dealer person then decides it would be fitting to throw another J out on the river though so we are down to 800k. Then we lose 375 with 99 v QK AIPF and this tourney is going in the pooper too!

With a 425k stack left at 15k-30k with 10 players remaining things start to take a turn for the better though and with 'ninja mode' enabled we get back to 1.5million going into the 6 handed FT with average stacks at 900k. 'To'ing and Fro'ing ensues and with 1.2million @ 30k/60k we get 66 on the C/O. I miniopen to 120k (case for higher raise or even shipping I know but I am confident I can outplay a spewy BB who has a 900k stack). The BB calls and we see a flop of TTJ and he open leads for 120k into a 270k pot. This does not feel like a big hand to me and he leads the turn which is a 7 for 60k. The river is a 9 and he minileads for 60k again leaving 750k in the middle and him with 540k beind. I reraise shove on his 60k river bet as I feel he is blocking on river and has a hand with low showdown value which he will have trouble calling. He folds, says 'nice bluff', and calls my shove 'classless' (before he goes on to insult everyone at the table), ah the irony. Well we don't look back and manage to take it down for £445, a little confidence boost to keep me on the NLHE track and a £425+ profit for the day.

Really enjoying the NLHE and the reads seem to be crisp, hopefully it continues!

Also really hoping to up the volume in a big way at some point very soon. Quite a busy week though! Have my uncles wedding to attend on Friday. He lost his wife and childhood sweetheart (aka my aunt) who was aged just 51 to a brain tumour 3 1/2 years ago. He was one of the few people who were there to help when my mum, gran and grandfather passed on in quick succession a couple of years ago and I am happy to see him try to move on and find a little happiness, really hope it works out for him!

Well time to go and Creosote a garage as I promised to do so for someone (the things I get myself into...)

Hope you all have a cracking Wednesday!

Would really appreciate some links to the stuff mentioned in the previous post if any of you feel like sharing Smiley
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »

oioi, another one who is winning Next Door.

Well done Mark, it all helps.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2017, 10:15:04 AM »

Cheers Mr T, nice to see the folk from across the road having some success Smiley

Any boxing fans on here?

Looking forward to the Joshua v Klitschko fight tomorrow. I see Joshua is the favourite and you can get 2/1 on Klitschko. I feel like the betting is overly UK influenced. I thought Klitschko would probably win the Fury rematch as he probably underestimated the 'clown' going into the fight. I would bet he was training like never before after the defeat and wanted the belts back. Also I think he respects Joshua so will have put some serious training in for this one.

I mean it must have hurt to lose his belts after having them for so long. He probably has a point to prove to himself and the boxing fans and I doubt he wants to end his career like this. I also have seen Joshua slightly troubled when fighters can land and it would be a surprise if Klitschko is not in there for quite a few rounds if not the whole 12 landing punches. 2/1 looks very generous so I may have to throw a little bet on Klitschko winning by KO.

Also as a 41 year old it would be nice to see Klitschko do it for us young early 40 yo's Smiley

It would be quite something if Joshua goes in there and blows Klitschko out the ring within a few rounds.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »

Cheers Mr T, nice to see the folk from across the road having some success Smiley

Any boxing fans on here?

Looking forward to the Joshua v Klitschko fight tomorrow. I see Joshua is the favourite and you can get 2/1 on Klitschko. I feel like the betting is overly UK influenced. I thought Klitschko would probably win the Fury rematch as he probably underestimated the 'clown' going into the fight. I would bet he was training like never before after the defeat and wanted the belts back. Also I think he respects Joshua so will have put some serious training in for this one.

I mean it must have hurt to lose his belts after having them for so long. He probably has a point to prove to himself and the boxing fans and I doubt he wants to end his career like this. I also have seen Joshua slightly troubled when fighters can land and it would be a surprise if Klitschko is not in there for quite a few rounds if not the whole 12 landing punches. 2/1 looks very generous so I may have to throw a little bet on Klitschko winning by KO.

Also as a 41 year old it would be nice to see Klitschko do it for us young early 40 yo's Smiley

It would be quite something if Joshua goes in there and blows Klitschko out the ring within a few rounds.

We have a Boxing Thread in the Betting & Sports section, here;

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=53758.3945

That's a link to the last page, but the thread is 260+ pages long.

Plenty of knowledgeable boxing sorts on there, but Bazzaboy & McGlashan in particular are very knowledgeable on the subject. Karabiner knows his stuff too, but he's very old so can safely be ignored.

Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »

Cheers Mr T!

Have had a right old wander around the site today and found some brilliant stuff. Found lots of good links to poker content to watch.

Also had a browse around the staking forums. I had not really been considering staking but coincedentally someone offered me staking for any higher events I wanted to play in UKOPS (I didn't take that offer) and played on my own dime. It did however plant the seed and reading the staking forum has left me intrigued. Obviously I will need to get the post count to 300+. Would be more interested in live staking but might consider doing a few online things just to build trust first if I decide to try this out.

No idea at this point what I will be playing in Vegas this year but extremely likely I will go play something. Will depend what packages (if any) I can win and how the poker goes between now and the WSOP. Next year I will be aiming to be going to Vegas and playing 10+ events so it may be more pertinent for then. In general though I would love to play twice the amount of events with 50% of myself rather than half with 100% of myself.

One to ponder and had an enjoyable few hours lurking on the forum Smiley
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »

MY update from my other blog because I am feeling lazy...

Well I fully appreciate that everyone is firmly perched on the edge of their seats waiting on my next update, so who am I to deny the poker masses! (I am in a highly sarcastic mood this morning, just in case anyone thinks I am charting new levels of narcissism).

The reluctant quest to be a non-smoker

I am flirting with the idea of stopping smoking. It may be more appropriate to say I am feeling under immense pressure to stop smoking due to family and friends (with good intentions) moaning at me to stop. So... kicking and screaming like a petulant child, oh no, wait! Scratch that... As I am trying to be very sensible I oblidge and give it a go (that sarcasm again).  

I dug out the array of E-cigs I bought last week and yesterday about 1.pm I decided that rather than buy more smokes, I would fill the new E-cig with a 'nutty tobacco' flavour liquid and give it a try. I managed to convince myself until this morning that I didn't mind and it was no bother. This morning however, after a couple of hours laying dazed in bed I caved in and went and bought some real ciggies.

I think the problem is that I do love my ciggies. If these things were 'good for you' I would be considered a health freak. Obviously though, like all the other pleasurable things, bacon, chocolate, alcohol etc... They are 'bad for you'. Oh well, I did last 18 hours which is more than I have managed in the last year. Will give it a bigger try within the next few days.

Doggy Holidays

Looking forward to taking a little trip with my 2 dogs to the 'Isle of Cumbrae', either tomorrow or Friday. It would be tomorrow but my partner is under a bit of pressure at the latter stages of her Astrophysics degree and doesn't know if she will be able to take tomorrow off, either way we can go on Friday if not tomorrow.

I am not sure how this will pan out. One of the dogs (both collies) is fine as long as you continually throw balls for him, feed him, give him a postman to go crazy at or give him something to hump. The other dog is however, batsh1t crazy! He spends half his days trying to 'catch shadows' and gets so excited at a 3 minute car journey that he has to chew through a seatbelt (3 failed MOT's and a lot of replacing broken seatbelts will testify to this). Taking them on a boat and out to interact with the public for an entire day will be... rather interesting.

The pokers

Had a bad Sunday. Regged a few tourneys, bust them all and then decided to late reg the £95 buy in £4k Vegas package thingy. First hand I get AQs in the CO 6 handed @ 250-500 level with the 4k starting stack. UTG miniopens (they have 6k), I jam hoping to pick up the 1750 chips or get a quick double that puts me into the mix. The BB reshoves for 8k and the initial raiser gets out the way. BB has AKo and has no trouble holding. So that was an expensive hand.

Mixed results on other sites too but a small profit of around $80 yesterday. Also was around £30 up on Sky through PLO8 DYM's yesterday. I may have to play a few more of these, I am playing them very sporadically but cannot remember the last PLO8 DYM I didn't cash in. Only playing a few now n then but I imagine I must be on a run of at least 10+ consecutive cashes in them, not exactly sure. I am sure however that this run will end soon enough.

I am focusing some play on other sites, very temporarily, just for a change of scenery to try and bring some better focus as my game feels a little turbulent right now.

Anyways, I will leave it there for now.

Hope you are all doing well & cheers to anyone reading my drivel.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »

Apologies to anyone who cares for the lack of updates.

Have just been messing around here and there and making a nice steady profit although nothing of huge note. Maybe around £1k up over all sites in the last week which was welcome after a break even run the previous week.

A couple of near misses for WSOP packages, mainly in the Mayhem freeroll leaderboard on Sky which offers a package for winning. Have had 2 top 5 finishes and have been in reasonable contention going into the last days of play the last 2 weeks but not had much luck when it really mattered.

I have my biggest shots for a package this Sunday with a £1260 buy in for an £11.6k package and a £435 buy in for a £4k package. Both are on Sky and both pay 1 in 10. Even if I give myself an edge in the games it is still odds against winning a package in 1 of them. Having said that I could be sitting with 2 packages tied up on Sunday evening (would snap call getting 1 of them at the moment). Will be a nerve jangling night!

Tried to stay away from the tables and keep some real life balance yesterday and spend some quality time with my other half and our animals. Just sat out in the garden for the day with a few beers but the weather was lovely and has me really in the mood for Vegas.

Hope you are all faring well on and off the tables and hopefully the posters I have read about who are suffering from health issues are on the mend!

Some pics for anyone who cares...

Click to see full-size image.

Click to see full-size image.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: