blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The heart of a lion - A long and winding quest for wrist jewellery
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The heart of a lion - A long and winding quest for wrist jewellery  (Read 29852 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »

I have my biggest shots for a package this Sunday with a £1260 buy in for an £11.6k package and a £435 buy in for a £4k package. Both are on Sky and both pay 1 in 10.

That's slightly inaccurate Mark, although after the last Semi-Finals, those figures may turn out to be pretty close.

BOTH Finals GUARANTEE 5 packages. Currently (before the remaining Semi-Finals) they have 41 & 37 runners respectively. So the odds are better than 1 in 10 in both of them, although the last semi-final will, obv, dilute that.

However, it is often the case the semi-finals are all "duplicates" (have won their Final seat already), so the chances are the odds will be better than 1 in 10.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »

Better than 1 in 10 works for me Smiley

Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »

P.S. Whoever wrote the promo page for the VLV sattys was using my logic and put "(1/10)" after the finals https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/viva-las-vegas-satellites-2017. At least I am not the only one working on that assumption :p
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »

P.S. Whoever wrote the promo page for the VLV sattys was using my logic and put "(1/10)" after the finals https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/viva-las-vegas-satellites-2017. At least I am not the only one working on that assumption :p

Well I believe it is 1 in 10 IF it hits 50 or more runners. Below that, it is five seats guaranteed. Same thing, different thing sorta thing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »

Better than 1 in 10 works for me Smiley

51 entries pays better than 1 in 10?   Calling Mere for an adjudication.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2017, 05:34:36 AM »

Great updates. I love posts that include pics.

BTW - I think your cat is spending too much time on the phone.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »

Cheers red-dog!

Agreed on the cat, young ones these days, what can you do...

Been an extremely bumpy ride on the tables the last couple of weeks.

Little update after this...
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

Well I had my shots at the packages on Sky.

It turned out less than 1/10 won packages so I feel somewhat vindicated on that front  Wink with just over 50 runners in each those, 5 packages were awarded in each and 6th place recieved some ££'s. I may have to get Haysie's lawyer involved  

Not particularly for personal reasons but I do like it when there are extra funds in these things when the extra money is given back as returned buy-ins. For example if it is a £400 buy in for a £4k package and there are £3,200 in 'extra funds'. It is nice when the £3200 is paid out as 8 x £400 refunds. It means more people who do not win a package feel that they had their shot but didn't really lose anything. It does also make for an interesting dynamic as you can put pressure much earlier on some players who are trying to make sure they get their buy in back.

Anyways onto the games...

The first one was the £435 buy in game with just over 50 runners and paying 5 x £4k packages and some cash for 6th.

Starting stacks were 5,000 chips and it was really plain sailing at the start. Got up to around 39k chips without much trouble. I had an easy table and I could just open lots of hands in postion and bag chips all over the place. I was feeling confident and had the chip lead. With around 15 players left I was moved tables and this really screwed things up. We were still a bit away from the packages so people were still playing a range of hands and looking to make headway. There was one stack with around 20k who was sitting relatively well in the tourney who caused a lot of trouble. They were taking ridiculous lines in loads of hands, playing very erratically, didn't really seem to understand position and were the proverbial loose cannon and taking ridiculous equity risks. I can only assume they were a smaller stakes player. I now couldn't open many pots as this player was a couple of places to my left and as I had no idea what this player was going to do. I had to watch with my stack as I was in a comfort zone and had more to lose than win at that point. I was really just hoping to stumble into a nice spot versus them and stack them which would have tied up the package. This didn't happen.

Down to around 10 players and with 28k in chips I did finally stumble onto the spot I had been looking for! I was dealt     in the SB and it had folded around to me. I open for around 2.5x and the BB calls. The flop is  two hearts   , this was it... Time to bag a few chips and get the job done! I lead for around 2.5x again and am flat called (I think blinds were around 600-1200). I then see a on the turn. I was super confident that my opponent had not hit the flop. There were a few draws out now though so I bet 4800 and have about 17k behind. My opponent ships all in. I still feel good here, I mean at this stage and in this dynamic they could have been trapping with AA KK QQ JJ and now be worried about the double flush draws, they could also have a pair/draw type hand and be trying to muscle me out of a board that it looks like I may not have hit. I glance out my right eye just hoping not to see pocket tens. They had indeed turned the higher set though with pocket tens and the river brought no help. GG me.

I did hear that the player who hit the set of tens on the turn has bubbled a few of these which really did help. I obviously know how this feels so I am genuinely happy for them and hope they love their time in Vegas!

All was not lost as I had got the starting 10k stack in the £1260 main event qualifier to around 20k. Time to get busy there I guess! I found it tough to find spots in this but got up to 50k in chips and was starting to feel it. There were 10 of us left and 5 get packages and 6th gets just under £4k in cash. I then am dealt   in the BB. UTG with 20k chips open shoves and then the SB with 70k reshoves to isolate them. So this is it! I obviously know I am ahead and 1 hold here gives me around 120k chips and it would be hard not to win the package from there!

So the cards are shown and UTG has   and the SB had reshoved with   . The   lands right on the flop and it is GG me again.

So that left me feeling about as deflated as I ever have been while playing poker. If I had bust early I wouldn't have been too bothered but it looked nailed on I would sneak 1 package and seemed quite possible at 1 stage I could bag both. Ah well!

I was left unsure what to do with Vegas this year. I only stopped the studies a matter of weeks ago and the bankroll therefore is not bursting at the seams so it is a big layout paying for Vegas on my own dime. Especially as at the moment poker is paying for everything, rent, all other bills, etc. So to throw a Vegas trip on top at short notice is a big ask!

It won't be a big ask next year as I aim to find employment in the next few months and leave my bankroll untouched for almost a year and go play a schedule similar to the ones Tikay does, hopefully with a higher mix of WSOP events.

Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »

Well after the dust settled the next day and I had metaphorically banged my head off the wall serveral million times and replayed the hands in my head until the cusp of insanity I sucked it up and moved on. I actually didn't take it that bad, I played some cash games that night and managed to play remotely near my normal game and make a small profit.

I did decide the next day that it would be unfair to deprive the Sky folk and Vegas of my presence. I am sure they would all have been moping about and had no fun whatsoever if I had just stayed at home lol. I decided Vegas was once a year, I needed a break and some sun and so I would knuckle down and still go.

Unless I run amazing between now and the WSOP I won't have a fortune but hopefully I can secure enough funds to do some serious grinding on the cash tables and maybe fit a couple of small tourneys in.

I had $800 (£620) in money off vouchers for American Airlines so I browsed flights and found transfers from Glasgow and then direct flights to Vegas for £700 (so I only had to pay £80). A bit of a result on that front! Still hotels to sort though which is a painful expense. I used my airmiles to book my first 2 nights at The LINQ. I read a lot of reviews for a lot of reasonable priced hotels and that one seemed pretty good and also near the RIO for watching the WSOP stuff and the Venetian to visit the Sky folks and play some cash games. Still have 5 nights of hotels to sort out. Am going to see how the next week goes on the tables before deciding how much to spend on the extra 5 nights worth of hotels.

ESTA is also sorted after a small panic. I filled it all in and paid for it and the decision came back as "Pending, we could not make an immediate decision on your ESTA". I done some googling and someone suggested that when it happened to them they just refreshed the page and it was authorised. Well, after hitting f5, I was indeed authorised or authorized as they like to put it.

Shiny new passport also arrived so just have to sort those extra 5 nights at hotels out and get as much funds as possible together by the 9th of July and then it is Viva Las Vegas time again.

Thanks to my couple of readers for wading through my ramblings, hope you run golden and maybe see a few of you in Vegas (I will be the guy sleeping in the tent just outside the Venetian).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »

Ballys is across the road from the Linq it's not  too expensive ! - yes it's not exactly balling out of control but it's practical !
It has a free shuttle bus to the Rio and vice versa - don't try to walk it - there are no footpaths !
There's a lot of $100-$250 buy ins going on Caesars the Rio etc 4 X a day at both !! Nlhe
You can walk to the Venetian if you're reasonably fit ! But it's v hot so take a bottle of water
Mixed games finish downtown around the 30 th June
I'm here now for a week with some American friends I find I'm spending $400-$500 a day quite easily
When I return later in June with friends and the GF I budget $1 k a day
It seems to be getting more expensive these days !!
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »

Ballys is across the road from the Linq it's not  too expensive ! - yes it's not exactly balling out of control but it's practical !
It has a free shuttle bus to the Rio and vice versa - don't try to walk it - there are no footpaths !
There's a lot of $100-$250 buy ins going on Caesars the Rio etc 4 X a day at both !! Nlhe
You can walk to the Venetian if you're reasonably fit ! But it's v hot so take a bottle of water
Mixed games finish downtown around the 30 th June
I'm here now for a week with some American friends I find I'm spending $400-$500 a day quite easily
When I return later in June with friends and the GF I budget $1 k a day
It seems to be getting more expensive these days !!

Cheers Tony.

I am not a veteran of Vegas like Tikay but have been spent quite a bit of time over there and you make some great points so thanks for that.

I have only ever walked through Ballys and it seemed quite nice but the online reviews seemed a bit mixed. I guess there are always people who will have something to complain about regardless of the hotel though. Me personally, I am a bit more easy going... As long as there people to wait on me hand and foot, champagne swimming pools and extravagant free buffets I am quite happy Smiley

I found out about the walk to the Rio the very hard way on a Vegas jaunt 2 years ago! I was staying at the MGM and it was nudging 120 degrees and I thought I would take a walk up to the Rio. I should have known better I had been over to Vegas a good few times before. Needless to say I found out what a long long walk that can be, especially in the heat. Even had a homeless chap on the section between Caesars and the Rio tell me he was 'Gonna shoot my punk ass'. Not entirely sure why he wanted to shoot me. He had a begging hat out with scraps of change in it. He may need to reconsider his approach if he is looking to increase his takings!

On the budget front... My last 2 trips I have came back with roughly what I went with, maybe only $100-$200 less at any rate. The prices definitely have went up though I agree. I guess the Scottish stereotype of being a tight so and so must ring true with me lol.

I think there are still the odd mixed games at the Orleans in July, sort of $80-$120 buy in MTT affairs at PLO8 and HORSE. It is slim pickings though, I will definitely aim to go earlier next year when there are more OH8 games runnings unless I finally secure a $10k main event ticket.

Thanks for the advice Tony, I will definitely look a bit more into Bally's and I hope you have a brilliant time out there!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:37:59 PM by Marky_Crash » Logged
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »

Ellis island half a mile /a block behind Ballys ! May be cheaper . A friend from Newcastle has stayed there n said it's fine !
Further away is the south point 2/3 cash games full of old guys from noon every day shuttle to the strip aria n TI Drp offs we like it there for some peace n quiet
My Rio booking this time through trivago started as £435/$572 but 7 days of resort fees plus a $200 deposit have taken it to nearer £800 !! On my card at the moment !
So it's realistically £100 a day
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »

Cheers for that Tony.

I will check out Ellis Island and the South Point too. While I wouldn't mind being central for obvious reasons, it wouldn't be a disaster to be off strip as I am loosely planning to hire a car, depending on the budget.

The hotel prices really do seem more expensive these days, especially with those resort fees. I remember getting rooms at the Rio for $69 a night not all that many years ago, with no hidden extras.

I will have a good look at the hotels you mentioned and some others and see how well I run over the next couple of weeks before booking. Hopeully I can bok a few wins and splurge a bit, if not my tent is in good working order Smiley

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated!
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »

Great good luck mate
Marky_Crash

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »

Great good luck mate

Cheers mate, hope your stay over there is profitable and fun!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: