blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Martin McGuinness
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Martin McGuinness  (Read 6308 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 10:59:15 PM »

Both the British government/military and the IRA sides committed some absolutely reprehensible acts.

Without Martin McGuinness's leadership it's very likely the conflict would still be ongoing.

May he rest in peace.
His leadership is why the terrorism went on for so long.

Really?

nothing to do with an occupying force committing atrocities?

The flip side is there are many who believe MMcG was a double agent.  If true that makes Britains involvement even worse.

Why?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 11:08:54 PM »

Both the British government/military and the IRA sides committed some absolutely reprehensible acts.

Without Martin McGuinness's leadership it's very likely the conflict would still be ongoing.

May he rest in peace.

Really?

The flip side is there are many who believe MMcG was a double agent.  If true that makes Britains involvement even worse.

Why?

Well if true then the power brokers in Whitehall were sanctioning many IRA operations.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »

May he rest in peace.

Really?

Why?

Well if true then the power brokers in Whitehall were sanctioning many IRA operations.

Pretty sure that's the case whether McGuinness was a double agent or not.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »

Thousands of people  in Derry yesterday to say their last farewell to Martin. 

Delegations from England, Scotland, Wales, Palestine, Cuba, South Africa, USA (including President Clinton), I also spoke with Basques, French, Italians and people from across the 32 Counties.  I am sure there were representations from many other countries. 

Christy Moore singing a song as well to close proceedings. 

Republicans from across Ireland were obviously sad to lose a leader, but the consensus seemed to be Martin had led his people up the hill it was time for a new generation to lead over that hill. 

Onward to the 32 County Republic!
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »

Won't happen while the graves of the innocents are known and now the murderer is dead it's likely it won't happen

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 11:10:24 PM »

Won't happen while the graves of the innocents are known and now the murderer is dead it's likely it won't happen

I don't quite follow Ironside's points. Not sure why his death makes this less likely. I think it's possible it could happen in time but, PokerBroker, do you not think it would be likely to lead to the violence starting up again in the lead-up and for a long time afterwards? Isn't the current set-up better than that? I still find it hard to believe that they were successful in getting this far, considering where they came from. Maybe leave well enough alone for a couple of generations til most of the population don't have personal memories of atrocities before disrupting something that, against all odds, is working so well.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »

I don't quite follow Ironside's points. Not sure why his death makes this less likely. I think it's possible it could happen in time but, PokerBroker, do you not think it would be likely to lead to the violence starting up again in the lead-up and for a long time afterwards? Isn't the current set-up better than that? I still find it hard to believe that they were successful in getting this far, considering where they came from. Maybe leave well enough alone for a couple of generations til most of the population don't have personal memories of atrocities before disrupting something that, against all odds, is working so well.

To answer Ironsides point the only people not wanting a truth and reconciliation are the Brits. 

Leaders from both Republican/Loyalist backgrounds have been calling for this for years. 

@Mint - I don't actually think things are working that well tbh.  We don't see the scenes we seen in the 70's and 80's.  There is still wide spread criminality in both Republican/Loyalist areas.  The police are not trusted by either community.  There are parts in the North that are definitely more cosmopolitan, in general I think education has improved  massively as well and the ghetto mentality that used to be pursued isn't as bad. 

I don't ever think there will be a time when memories dont play a part in the struggle.  Jeez some Orangement still march in memore of the battle of the Boyne and that was 1690.  You'd think some were actually there.  Republicans still commemorate Wolfetone every year. 

I think it's fine to remember history and patriots, but there needs to be more acceptance.  I genuinley believe there is a greater willingness to that on the side of Republicans and Nationalists.  Last year the DUP were blocking same sex marriages.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: