blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  *****"The Official 2017 Golf Betting and Discussion Thread"*****
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 92 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *****"The Official 2017 Golf Betting and Discussion Thread"*****  (Read 195887 times)
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2017, 06:01:45 AM »

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with what I'm about to say here, but the BBC's coverage of the PGA has been dreadful so far. It's so dull and the amount of mistakes the commentators make and the casual racism every time The Japanese Boy plays a shot. At one point yesterday, poor Hideki was standing there with a protien bar in his hand and Peter Alliss tells the whole world that hes probably eating sushi.

Give me adverts and Monty any day.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

^^^^

Overall, a poor effort by the BBC, who did all of the commentary from a studio here in the UK, with the exception of a single reporter at the course who I only saw used once. To be fair to them, they had insufficient prep time, as the deal only fell in their lap about 5 weeks ago, & these things take a lot more planning & organisation than can be sorted in a month or so.

A positive - imo - was listening to Alliss & Brown non-stop for hours at a time. I know Alliss is a bit Marmite, but to me, he's the finest golf commentator since dear old Henry Longhurst, who was the best ever, no danger. Long time ago, mind - only Karabiner would be old enough to remember Henry. Pairing Alliss up with Brown is pure gold to me.

I was pretty miffed with the coverage, just a succession of players teeing off or holing out on the green, but then, in the extended late night session on BBC2 last night (after the weather break), & as opposed to the Red Button coverage, it seemed to improve markedly. 2 hours without a single ad break, Sarah Frumpy, or Monty, was excellent late night viewing. It's a beautifully verdant course, too, very cameragenic.

Pretty sure that Sky Sports will regain coverage next year. An over-bold negotiation play by Sky Sports resulted in the PGA giving them a slap round the chops by giving this one to the BBC. Can't see them repeating that, once they realise how half-hearted the BBC coverage was.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »

Incidentally, if you ever get the chance to read the Henry Longhurst autobiography, "My Life & Soft Times" (available in good bookshops or Amazon I suppose), don't pass it up. You'll never read a better golf book, & it epitomises the spirit of how golf should be played.

It was written a very long time ago though, (1983), & in the book, he constantly bemoans the fact that some players took OVER THREE HOURS to play 18 holes. How times have changed, eh?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »

^^^^

Overall, a poor effort by the BBC, who did all of the commentary from a studio here in the UK, with the exception of a single reporter at the course who I only saw used once. To be fair to them, they had insufficient prep time, as the deal only fell in their lap about 5 weeks ago, & these things take a lot more planning & organisation than can be sorted in a month or so.

A positive - imo - was listening to Alliss & Brown non-stop for hours at a time. I know Alliss is a bit Marmite, but to me, he's the finest golf commentator since dear old Henry Longhurst, who was the best ever, no danger. Long time ago, mind - only Karabiner would be old enough to remember Henry. Pairing Alliss up with Brown is pure gold to me.

I was pretty miffed with the coverage, just a succession of players teeing off or holing out on the green, but then, in the extended late night session on BBC2 last night (after the weather break), & as opposed to the Red Button coverage, it seemed to improve markedly. 2 hours without a single ad break, Sarah Frumpy, or Monty, was excellent late night viewing. It's a beautifully verdant course, too, very cameragenic.

Pretty sure that Sky Sports will regain coverage next year. An over-bold negotiation play by Sky Sports resulted in the PGA giving them a slap round the chops by giving this one to the BBC. Can't see them repeating that, once they realise how half-hearted the BBC coverage was.   

It was dreadful. Full stop.

I can't buy the lack of prep arguement.  These guys have been there many times before, and should have done better.

There were times yesterday listening to Mark James and, I think, Maureen medill,where I could have got a better commentary from guys at my club.

As stated, would rather have 20 adverts an hour.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »

^^^^

I can't buy the lack of prep arguement.  These guys have been there many times before, and should have done better.

There were times yesterday listening to Mark James and, I think, Maureen medill,where I could have got a better commentary from guys at my club.

I have to agree as to Miss Madill (actually, real name Mrs Garner).

The BBC are in a tough spot with females these days, as we know from the (un)equal pay debate which recently erupted, but for me it was "token female" & added nothing to the coverage. The same applies, of course, to Sky Sports with Sarah Frump. Actually, I'd take Miss Madill over Sarah Frump any day of the week.

Sky Sports seemed to have fallen into the same PC trap with their football coverage for the new season. They added their own lady to the Arsenal coverage last night & it was embarrassing to watch, as she trotted out banal, scripted questions. Sky are blessed with an abundance of well qualified ex-footballers who, whether we agree with their views or not, offer real insight which we as Team Armchair really enjoy. We want more Neville & Co, not less.

IMO, obv.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »

Best commentary by far was this IMO:

After Alliss remarked about the precision of Dustbin's beard, his co-commentator opined

"Do you think Dustin spends more time shaving now, than he ever did before he grew a beard?"

Meanwhile, I think Alliss has gone waaayyyy past his sell-by date. Casual racism and general delivery as if he's broadcasting to pre-school nippers does not add flavour for me.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »

Ken Brown is wonderful. genuinely think he is approaching national treasure status, one of the best in any sport at making the technical aspects of his game accessible

sadly for the rest,coverage of the game has moved on. Sky have showed this at the Open, where any thoughts i had of missing the bbc coverage were soon secondary to the excellence of the info that was coming my way

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2017, 09:46:55 AM »

^^^^

The BBC are in a tough spot with females these days, as we know from the (un)equal pay debate which recently erupted, but for me it was "token female" & added nothing to the coverage. The same applies, of course, to Sky Sports with Sarah Frump. Actually, I'd take Miss Madill over Sarah Frump any day of the week.

Sky Sports seemed to have fallen into the same PC trap with their football coverage for the new season. They added their own lady to the Arsenal coverage last night & it was embarrassing to watch, as she trotted out banal, scripted questions. Sky are blessed with an abundance of well qualified ex-footballers who, whether we agree with their views or not, offer real insight which we as Team Armchair really enjoy. We want more Neville & Co, not less.

IMO, obv.

Its the same across TV in general. Tokenism.

Even the wife says when she watches women talking sport on TV, its so obvious they know nothing about the sport and couldn't hold a conversation in a pub etc, about what really goes on.

While that happens it spoils the coverage. PC gone mad, and still they complain they dont get paid enough......

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »

When the football came on I had the golf on a stream which was the US coverage - it was so much more enjoyable than Alliss's tiresome repertoire despite the many ad-breaks.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »

^^^^

IMO, obv.

Even the wife says when she watches women talking sport on TV, its so obvious they know nothing about the sport and couldn't hold a conversation in a pub etc, about what really goes on.

While that happens it spoils the coverage. PC gone mad, and still they complain they dont get paid enough......

"tokenism" doesn't explain the numerous incompetent male pundits/commentators.  You (and your wife) are completely wrong on this issue.

On the wider issue, Aliss is def getting too old and appears to be simultaneously addressing Adz's anti-PC, old school golf club demographic while also rather ineptly trying to keep casual viewers engaged.  The BBC team are also commenting on a stream with no producer telling them who or what is about to appear on the screen, so its a bit harsh to compare them to an on site sky team (who in any case are inferior to the Golf Channels European team).

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »

Alliss also referred to Kevin Kisner as "another one of these new young pros".

KK turned pro in 2006 and has over $11M in official winnings..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »

They should both be done under the trade description act for calling their coverage live.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »

^^^^

IMO, obv.

"tokenism" doesn't explain the numerous incompetent male pundits/commentators.  You (and your wife) are completely wrong on this issue.

On the wider issue, Aliss is def getting too old and appears to be simultaneously addressing Adz's anti-PC, old school golf club demographic while also rather ineptly trying to keep casual viewers engaged.  The BBC team are also commenting on a stream with no producer telling them who or what is about to appear on the screen, so its a bit harsh to compare them to an on site sky team (who in any case are inferior to the Golf Channels European team).

That is according to the law that is doubleup.......never going to be something I can PROVE, therefore neither can you, despite your arrogance that I am COMPLETELY wrong.

Mine is clearly only an opinion.

At what point have I said that the male commentators are flawless, as your comments suggest?Huh?

Not the first time you have worded stuff to make it fit.

Carry on though, its all good fun.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

You put forward the case that if a woman is incompetent (iyo or your wife's) the reason is tokenism.  What is the reason that a man is incompetent as it can't possibly be tokenism?
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »

You put forward the case that if a woman is incompetent (iyo or your wife's) the reason is tokenism.  What is the reason that a man is incompetent as it can't possibly be tokenism?

Sigh.

Again, a twisting of what I said.....why??

I never said a woman is incompetent because of tokenism.

I said that woman presenters are token gestures, based on the pressures of modern society requirements. I would dare to suggest they get jobs not based on the fact they are the best candidates for the jobs, because as discussed elsewhere-we would nearly all rather listen to an ex pro than some dolly bird, who has never kicked a ball in her life, for example.

As a result, we get women in these roles that would never get them if they were men with the same level of knowledge.

Therefore tokenism.

No mention of any male commentators competency, just that we have many women in jobs they dont deserve.

If that is COMPLETELY wrong, I apologise, but I suspect I'm not. Cool

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 92 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: