blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Vegas shooting
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas shooting  (Read 9732 times)
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »

Do you think Mandalay might change their hotel name? It will forever be tainted.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 11:51:12 PM »

Do you think Mandalay might change their hotel name? It will forever be tainted.

Maybe, but as with all Vegas Strip hotels, it's pretty iconic as it is. Could call it something else but it will always be referred to as Mandalay Bay and known for the massacre. It's also a pretty iconic building, so even those unfamiliar with it before Sunday are probably well aware of what it looks like now and will instinctively label it Mandalay Bay even if it was rebranded further down the line.

I wonder what the future holds for it? It's part of MGM Resorts so its got some pretty big sibling hotels....

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »

The shooting only lasted 11 minutes though.

Had he still been shooting when they got on the scene I imagine the breach would have been sooner.

He had cameras on the corridor and likely shot himself when he knew he was surrounded.

That places their arrival on the scene closer to 11.minutes than 72.

Teddy was bang on the money.

I'd not seen it clarified but then saw an interview this morning saying the hotel security guard had identified the room 10 minutes after the first shot. He was shot at and injured but alerted the relevant people of where the gunfire was coming from.

The shooting had then stopped, so the SWAT team took their time to evacuate the surrounding rooms and close off the area before blowing down the door of the gunman's room.

I'd say that is a pretty swift response to a very unique and dangerous situation.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »

The shooting only lasted 11 minutes though.

Had he still been shooting when they got on the scene I imagine the breach would have been sooner.

He had cameras on the corridor and likely shot himself when he knew he was surrounded.

That places their arrival on the scene closer to 11.minutes than 72.

Teddy was bang on the money.

I'd not seen it clarified but then saw an interview this morning saying the hotel security guard had identified the room 10 minutes after the first shot. He was shot at and injured but alerted the relevant people of where the gunfire was coming from.

The shooting had then stopped, so the SWAT team took their time to evacuate the surrounding rooms and close off the area before blowing down the door of the gunman's room.

I'd say that is a pretty swift response to a very unique and dangerous situation.

Agreed. It's remarkably quick, all things considered.

22:05

First shots fired by Paddock

22:12

Officers reach 31st floor and report gunfire coming from floor above

22:15

Last shots fired into the concert crowd

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MattyHollis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »

Weren't the windows smashed open? Surely shouldn't have been that difficult to identify the room.

I was reading that a lot of people want there to be snipers at all gigs like this, maybe abit overkill.

Perhaps when its light, and you know what you're looking for. And there isn't a hail of bullets, bodies and people running everywhere.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mandalay+bay+shooting&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1t6CK-9fWAhXjI8AKHYlwDZYQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=652#imgrc=JeIyr04PJ5d_1M:

Easy to identify the windows?

My thoughts exactly.

On a similar level as above, what are people's thoughts on the response time? It was 72 minutes between the first call to the emergency services and before they breached his room....

I did what I really try to avoid doing, and had to comment on someone's post on an Independent article yesterday on FB. He was criticizing the length of time, and comparing it to recent London terror attacks where the police were on the scene in minutes.

I felt compelled to point out that the 2 scenarios really aren't comparable; its much easier to identify a person or persons walking the streets causing havoc with knives. The Vegas threat was a whole different kettle of fish; the gunman could've been anywhere, so you have to narrow it down to the correct building, then floor, then room.....all the while whilst a shower of bullets is spraying down and you've got thousands of people fleeing in all directions, causing mass panic.

72 minutes does sound long, and it must have felt like a lifetime if you were involved, but I think given the unique circumstances, its not particularly slow. See what the investigation says, but my instincts feel that whilst it might not have been fast, it also wasn't slow.

Not to forget the amount of conflicting information they would have been receiving. Can you imagine how busy the emergency service line would have been?

Thinking like a criminal here, I have always thought Vegas is the perfect target for someone looking to cause as much havoc and damage as possible. Walk into the Amazon room, lob a few grenades, whip out an auto and let rip. Security is extremely weak as you just have those mall cop style people in yellow shirts stood by the doors talking to one another.

Awful post imo. What chance has anyone got when someone wants to lob a few grenades about? We can't have secret service on every table. This is a ridiculous incident by a nutjob individual and the only thing your post will do is give some other nutter an idea if they so fancied!
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 09:41:46 PM »

as an aside, a little snap shot into life in america a little tale my dad told me last night.

my dad sold life craft equipment and often went to america where he would entertain their defence contractors and other suppliers / customers. he's a very chatty laid back fella my dad, he falls into conversations with anyone who piques his interest and he's very disarming. he picks up firends everywhere - eg the new security guard at his local shop has promised to take him to wembley if leeds get there via the play-offs this year, he's met my dad about ten times in the shop.

anyway my dad was in america and he was sat in the hotel lobby. he was sat next to a fella who came from a very small, very religious town. he said it was a beautiful place and he should come with him to see it. a about an hour or so drive. my dad agreed and they drove to this lovely little town and went to a bar. this is where it gets weird. the chap tells my dad he'll need a gun to enter the bar, and that he has a spare gun for him. they wont allow people without guns into the bar, and they dont really like people in the town to not carry -  they says its a much safer place if everyone knows everyone else has a gun. so this perfect stranger hands my dad a loaded gun and they go drinking together in this hick bar - and my dad knows every single person  - no matter how drunk or rowdy - is in possesion of a loaded gun.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 11:04:58 PM »

as an aside, a little snap shot into life in america a little tale my dad told me last night.

my dad sold life craft equipment and often went to america where he would entertain their defence contractors and other suppliers / customers. he's a very chatty laid back fella my dad, he falls into conversations with anyone who piques his interest and he's very disarming. he picks up firends everywhere - eg the new security guard at his local shop has promised to take him to wembley if leeds get there via the play-offs this year, he's met my dad about ten times in the shop.

anyway my dad was in america and he was sat in the hotel lobby. he was sat next to a fella who came from a very small, very religious town. he said it was a beautiful place and he should come with him to see it. a about an hour or so drive. my dad agreed and they drove to this lovely little town and went to a bar. this is where it gets weird. the chap tells my dad he'll need a gun to enter the bar, and that he has a spare gun for him. they wont allow people without guns into the bar, and they dont really like people in the town to not carry -  they says its a much safer place if everyone knows everyone else has a gun. so this perfect stranger hands my dad a loaded gun and they go drinking together in this hick bar - and my dad knows every single person  - no matter how drunk or rowdy - is in possesion of a loaded gun.

Pics or it didn't happen.

The older I get, the better I was.
Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »

Quite the cover story

@whollyflush on twitter
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »

Awful post imo. What chance has anyone got when someone wants to lob a few grenades about? We can't have secret service on every table. This is a ridiculous incident by a nutjob individual and the only thing your post will do is give some other nutter an idea if they so fancied!

Awful post because you think that me putting words on the internet might inspire someone to carry out these acts? That would suggest we need secret service at every table. I didn't suggest that because quite obviously its a ludicrous suggestion.

I merely posted that Vegas is one of the perfect places for large scale destruction crime such as mass shooting or bombing and perhaps an insight to why the wsop could be a target. Not an awful post, but definitely an awful thing to think about.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »

think this is a brilliant piece of work

Not even religion and atheism https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/05/upshot/gun-ownership-partisan-divide.html

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=945&v=b7GZ1RawlLo

Some interesting footage I'd not seen before. Sounds like you can hear the windows being shot out about 20/30 seconds before the rounds start raining down. Also, about 5 mins in, incredible to hear the bullets whizzing past the camera when you consider how far away Mandalay Bay is in the background.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: