blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Harvey Weinstein
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harvey Weinstein  (Read 20608 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

Several topics have got my goat today, but the by product of this perve and his exploits has annoyed me quite a bit.

Bound to get the usual bunch on my case, but here goes.

It strikes me that when stories like this surface suddenly loads of people have back stories ranging from some innuendo, to touching, to threats to full on rape.

Firstly, let me make it very clear, I dont condone his actions, and feel very badly for those who suffered.

Those I don't feel sorry for are the Gwyneth Paltrow, Angellina Jolie types who claim to have been subjected to similar from HW, but never said a word. Why the hell not? He couldn't ruin their careers, even if they did wait for years to do it, jumping on the bandwagon to me, says they are almost as guilty, as women with the sort of influence they have could have brought a stop to it years ago, and saved god knows how many other woman from having to go through it.

To my mind, their not reporting the crime, amkes them guily of some other form of crime.

Several pieces I have read and seen over the last few days, suggest this has been Hollywoods dirty secret for some time(even jokes at award ceremonies I saw earlier, with 5 nominations, and the host joking all were now famous enough to be safe from the clutches of HW).

It reminds me of the rather camp uncle of my best mate, who worked at the BBC. For years when he visited at Xmas he would tell us tales of Jimmy Saville, that none of us believed, until they all came out. But he said that it was common knowledge round the BBC, and when people known for rather large teeth were parading round on TV, utterly disgusted, it felt rather like  Meryl Streep being all holier than thou about disowning her friend.

Had she never heard the rumours before?

Yes, I wonder.......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »

It's become a huge story, "front page news" right across the globe. I'm not sure it is front page news.

What he done was, of course, bang out of order. Cast our minds back to when we were in our teens or twenties & were trying to make out with a girl, most of us tried a little improperly placed hand or form of words to test the reaction. I mean, nobody writes a formal letter asking if a lady is up for it, do they? We either got no reaction - "go on then" - or, at worst, a slap round the chops & the girl was lost to our intended desires. The ladies in this Weinstein case are being described as suffering "unspeakable pain" because some pervy old sod made an improper suggestion, or touched the lady improperly. At the risk of incurring the wrath of many, I can't help but think that this is not being overhyped.  One well-known actress said "he invited me to have a bath with him". That's "unspeakable pain"? Sounds like a flippant try on to me, similar to millions of others, & it's a long way from a crime or even disrespect.  "Unspeakable pain" is living in a refugee camp with no sanitation or hope, not batting away a bloke who wants to touch your butt cheeks, & keeping schtum because you want to be a film star so much that you don't say a word for 30 years. If it were that bad, they'd have spoken up, or sued him, at the time. But no, they wanted to be film stars, so it was OK.

I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for him, no, but the hero to zero thing fascinates me. He was Billy Big Shot 3 or 4 days ago, respected for his skills & abilities, a master of his craft (film-production) got a bunch of Oscars or Oscar noms, got his own successful business, the whole works. 5 days later he has lost the lot, all his friends, everyone loathes him, he got the tin tack from the company he founded 12 years ago, & today, his missus walked out. Losing his wife suits him I guess, if he has been a serial philanderer, but it's not losing her that is the pain, it's the shame, along with everything else that even his wife won't share a roof with him. In some ways, its not unreasonable to say he's paid his bill in full, & some. I don't have a problem with the bill he has paid, but let's be right, he's paid well over the top.  Arguably.

If he does have a friend or two left, I'm guessing he ought to hold onto them tightly, as life is gonna be pretty shitty for the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:34:21 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »

Chuck your money on a woman winning best director next year at the Oscars as part of the big Hollywood atonement
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »

It's become a huge story, "front page news" right across the globe. I'm not sure it is front page news.

What he done was, of course, bang out of order. Cast our minds back to when we were in our teens or twenties & were trying to make out with a girl, most of us tried a little improperly placed hand or form of words to test the reaction. I mean, nobody writes a formal letter asking if a lady is up for it, do they? We either got no reaction - "go on then" - or, at worst, a slap round the chops & the girl was lost to our intended desires. The ladies in this Weinstein case are being described as suffering "unspeakable pain" because some pervy old sod made an improper suggestion, or touched the lady improperly. At the risk of incurring the wrath of many, I can't help but think that this is not being overhyped.  One well-known actress said "he invited me to have a bath with him". That's "unspeakable pain"? Sounds like a flippant try on to me, similar to millions of others, & it's a long way from a crime or even disrespect.   

I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for him, no, but the hero to zero thing fascinates me. He was Billy Big Shot 3 or 4 days ago, respected for his skills & abilities, a master of his craft (film-production) got a bunch of Oscars or Oscar noms, got his own successful business, the whole works. 5 days later he has lost the lot, all his friends, everyone loathes him, he got the tin tack from the company he founded 12 years ago, & today, his missus walked out. Losing his wife suits him I guess, if he has been a serial philanderer, but it's not losing her that is the pain, it's the shame, along with everything else that even his wife won't share a roof with him. In some ways, its not unreasonable to say he's paid his bill in full, & some. 

If he does have a friend or two left, I'm guessing he ought to hold onto them tightly, as life is gonna be pretty shitty for the rest of his life.

Your first part of the reply does evoke a series of flash backs, where you think, bloody hell, I have done far worse than ask a woman to have a bath with me! Thankfully as a day to day nobody, I doubt these things will ever resurface!1

Again though, as you suggest, where do we draw the line these days, bar write a thoroughly proper invitation to "get together" with an RSVP??

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »

Chuck your money on a woman winning best director next year at the Oscars as part of the big Hollywood atonement

Nap.

As in Hollywood over-reaction.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »

What he done was, of course, bang out of order. Cast our minds back to when we were in our teens or twenties & were trying to make out with a girl, most of us tried a little improperly placed hand or form of words to test the reaction. I mean, nobody writes a formal letter asking if a lady is up for it, do they? We either got no reaction - "go on then" - or, at worst, a slap round the chops & the girl was lost to our intended desires. The ladies in this Weinstein case are being described as suffering "unspeakable pain" because some pervy old sod made an improper suggestion, or touched the lady improperly. At the risk of incurring the wrath of many, I can't help but think that this is not being overhyped.  One well-known actress said "he invited me to have a bath with him". That's "unspeakable pain"? Sounds like a flippant try on to me, similar to millions of others, & it's a long way from a crime or even disrespect.   

I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for him, no, but the hero to zero thing fascinates me. He was Billy Big Shot 3 or 4 days ago, respected for his skills & abilities, a master of his craft (film-production) got a bunch of Oscars or Oscar noms, got his own successful business, the whole works. 5 days later he has lost the lot, all his friends, everyone loathes him, he got the tin tack from the company he founded 12 years ago, & today, his missus walked out. Losing his wife suits him I guess, if he has been a serial philanderer, but it's not losing her that is the pain, it's the shame, along with everything else that even his wife won't share a roof with him. In some ways, its not unreasonable to say he's paid his bill in full, & some. 

Your first part of the reply does evoke a series of flash backs, where you think, bloody hell, I have done far worse than ask a woman to have a bath with me! Thankfully as a day to day nobody, I doubt these things will ever resurface!1

Again though, as you suggest, where do we draw the line these days, bar write a thoroughly proper invitation to "get together" with an RSVP??

Surely most of us have? We either got the green light, or a slap. It was that simple.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »

W: "Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulted me"

M: "I don't believe you"

W: "Here's the proof"

M: "Why didn't you say something earlier? It's your fault he carried on abusing others"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:25:21 PM by The Camel » Logged

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »

Surely most of us have? We either got the green light, or a slap. It was that simple.

My big boss used to get all sorts of advances from girls within the company at get togethers when the booze flowed, it was mostly simply because he was the big boss. So it works the other way too, some girls are more than willing to get their leg over to get a leg up....
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:13 AM »

... Cast our minds back to when we were in our teens or twenties & were trying to make out with a girl, most of us tried a little improperly placed hand or form of words to test the reaction. ...

Some of it may be a little hyperbolic - but he wasn't 'trying to make out' with them - he was meant to be employing them.

Here is a handy guide I saw posted which explains the difficulty of working with girls women

https://medium.com/@annevictoriaclark/the-rock-test-a-hack-for-men-who-dont-want-to-be-accused-of-sexual-harassment-73c45e0b49af  Smiley

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »

... Cast our minds back to when we were in our teens or twenties & were trying to make out with a girl, most of us tried a little improperly placed hand or form of words to test the reaction. ...

Some of it may be a little hyperbolic - but he wasn't 'trying to make out' with them - he was meant to be employing them.

Here is a handy guide I saw posted which explains the difficulty of working with girls women

https://medium.com/@annevictoriaclark/the-rock-test-a-hack-for-men-who-dont-want-to-be-accused-of-sexual-harassment-73c45e0b49af  Smiley

Good stuff, nearly impossible to do but something to aspire to :-).
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »

LOL.

The reality is that in no time at all we will all be gender neutral as every bugger will end up too scared to chat anyone up.....

(see what I did there....two threads etc.. Wink)

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »

Easier to only hire ugly birds, no-one will believe you wanted to shag them anyway 
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »

Six reasons why his victims didn't report:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/six-reasons-harvey-weinsteins-victims-didnt-report/

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 08:50:23 AM »

I like this - although, I think that when I was younger I fell more into the trying too hard to be fair and respectful camp than the predator lobby.

But that's just my perspective, I really don't think I've ever been inappropriate with women at work but I've said some scandalous (in a vacuum) things, had relationships with people I work with and met my wife at work. I hope I never unwittingly hurt anybody.

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »

LOL.

The reality is that in no time at all we will all be gender neutral as every bugger will end up too scared to chat anyone up.....

(see what I did there....two threads etc.. Wink)

We will die out as a species, everyone will be scared to try and shag another person for fear of being blamed for doing something wrong  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: