blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  LIV Golf
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LIV Golf  (Read 5512 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »

48 players signed up to the first ever event and in doing so killed any chance they will have in the game outside of the LIV tour, they will not be able to compete on any of the establish tours or there feeder tours.
But now some bigger names better golfers are wanting in and certain players from the original list will be kicked to touch so get a one off payment for the event they played. Now there career is over. WOW that
was some move by some of the younger guys that will never get the chance to play on any tour again. Because without the PGA /EURO tours they aint going to get a name big enough to be invite back to the LIV tour
i can't imagine that many of the names that played in the first round got huge amounts of money yeah the biggest names got more than enough to set for life but i don't think it will be that many

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 10:42:31 AM »

It's not a world-wide ban for those players who ignored the PGA tour's ruling, just their own tour.

LIV has some kind of agreement giving all of them access to the Far-Eastern tour and most other tours are yet to commit afaik.

The European Tour is expected to make its position clear after this week's BMW event.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »

The older I get, the better I was.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 04:04:45 PM »

why is this golf tour when people have decided to draw the line morally? What about the Grand Prix, heavyweight title bouts, lots of other events in other morally questionable countries.

Why do the golfers get it in the neck but Anthony Joshua is fine?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 04:37:43 PM »

The European Tour is expected to make its position clear after this week's BMW event.

yeah i think the European Tour will fall in with the US would be a weird rider cup if the Euro players on LIV were able to compete and the US unable

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »

why is this golf tour when people have decided to draw the line morally? What about the Grand Prix, heavyweight title bouts, lots of other events in other morally questionable countries.

I don't really follow boxing, but pretty sure people have voiced disapproval of many sporting events in Saudi Arabia before.  Both because of human rights, and the war in Yemen. 

The Grand Prix there has been controversial from the start.  Vettel and Hamilton have voiced their unease about racing there publicly.   

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/saudi-minister-invites-hamilton-to-discuss-concerns/9509380/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2022/apr/05/f1-drivers-will-continue-to-speak-out-says-drivers-association-chair

Newcastle have been condemned pretty heavily for the Saudi money and so on. 

I think there is a difference between going there for one race and bankrolling your football team for the year/ running a whole golf tour with Saudi money.   Also it easier to give Hamilton some benefit of the doubt when he has been critical from the start and clearly didn't get input into the decision to race there.  The golfers have taken the decision to earn most of their money there knowing who was bankrolling it.

It is also easier to be critical of the golfers given so many of them were pretty dislikeable in the first place!

All the big names must surely have been set for life already so didn't need the extra millions?  The PGA tour money was already pretty eye watering even without this.

Happy to be not making any effort to watch any of it, and hope it all fails miserably.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 05:38:41 PM »

yeah I am not sure I would criticise F1 drivers, if they skip the event, they get 0 points. They had no choice.

Golfers can get in the bin though.

It is also a bit much with the golf European Tour taking the moral high ground when they have held several events in Saudi before.

I don't really follow boxing, but pretty sure people have voiced disapproval of many sporting events in Saudi Arabia before.  Both because of human rights, and the war in Yemen. 

The Grand Prix there has been controversial from the start.  Vettel and Hamilton have voiced their unease about racing there publicly.   

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/saudi-minister-invites-hamilton-to-discuss-concerns/9509380/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2022/apr/05/f1-drivers-will-continue-to-speak-out-says-drivers-association-chair

Newcastle have been condemned pretty heavily for the Saudi money and so on. 

I think there is a difference between going there for one race and bankrolling your football team for the year/ running a whole golf tour with Saudi money.   Also it easier to give Hamilton some benefit of the doubt when he has been critical from the start and clearly didn't get input into the decision to race there.  The golfers have taken the decision to earn most of their money there knowing who was bankrolling it.

It is also easier to be critical of the golfers given so many of them were pretty dislikeable in the first place!

All the big names must surely have been set for life already so didn't need the extra millions?  The PGA tour money was already pretty eye watering even without this.

Happy to be not making any effort to watch any of it, and hope it all fails miserably.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 07:49:51 PM »

Sponsoring a boxing match, a Grand Prix, or buying a football team there is at least a reasonable pretence of getting a return on investment.

This however has no earthly chance of getting any ROI.

It's a disruptive - possibly vindictive - high-rolling excercise to mess with golf's status quo and demonstrate that everyone has their price.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »

DP World Tour fines and bans players who took part at Centurion

The DP World Tour, formerly known as the European Tour, has also warned players that "participation in a further conflicting tournament or tournaments without the required release may incur further sanctions".

Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia, Martin Kaymer and Graeme McDowell are the highest-profile DP World players who will be affected by these sanctions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61921146

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 08:58:37 PM »

I am wondering how the existing world tour can fine these players. Presumably it can send an invoice, but the players have no obligation to pay? And if they are banned from all future events the money can't be docked from future earnings?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 10:39:01 PM »

I am wondering how the existing world tour can fine these players. Presumably it can send an invoice, but the players have no obligation to pay? And if they are banned from all future events the money can't be docked from future earnings?

Maybe via the PGA tour's pension-scheme.

Patrick Reed allegedly threatening to sue the European Tour for not being allowed to play in the upcoming Scottish Open...

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 12:50:05 AM »

Didn't realise there were quite so many golfers that I previously found dislikeable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/03/former-ryder-cup-player-paul-casey-joins-saudi-backed-liv-golf

Another one past his best too?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 06:44:01 PM »

In answer to my original question looks like the Euro golfers who played in the first event are back on the DP tour with a 6 figure payday added https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/rebel-golfers-liv-golf-axed-27562945?fbclid=IwAR3dZNZAtXeobMyCECscyWAzTfHNCXJ-l57hKZAip0q-CDxsdKUd80fNkLY

Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 08:21:58 AM »

I have a question regarding the LIV tour.

If its capped at 48 players, and they are still recruiting players, then they have more than 48.  What happens to those who are not chosen to play in the next LIV event?
Are they just discarded and then left to fend in the wilderness of not being able to play on the main tours?  I'm thinking of these young up and coming players who made up the numbers in the first coupe of LIV events.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 09:23:24 AM »

I have a question regarding the LIV tour.

If its capped at 48 players, and they are still recruiting players, then they have more than 48.  What happens to those who are not chosen to play in the next LIV event?
Are they just discarded and then left to fend in the wilderness of not being able to play on the main tours?  I'm thinking of these young up and coming players who made up the numbers in the first coupe of LIV events.

I did think about this when they first started.  I think this is where we are, and I don't think many who are discarded will suffer for now.

A lot of those you never heard of came from the Asian tour and that route is still open to them.  They also talked about having a feeder tour, which may well be the Asian tour. 

I think the number of young up and coming players ftom the European and USA tours must be pretty small, though haven't checked.  Just seems like it is mostly players whose best years are behind them.  If they get to the stage where they discard the older journeyman pros, who joined from the PGA and European tours they willl have already had their one last big payday, so won't suffer much? 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: