blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  QQ call or fold?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: QQ call or fold?  (Read 2561 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 10:23:49 AM »

Every time in this situation you would call? beginning, end or middle of a tournament?

i'm a lot happier being first in here. Is this the flushy get your chips in and if you lose move on. Would you do it in a £1500 main event? Disregard the size of the tourney buy in, whats the correct move?

I have quite a lot of experience in these tribeca sng's at a lot of diffrent levels, i dont think i would pass QQ in any of them. I think the guys hand range is pretty wide at best AK.

Even if it is AK there is alreay 460 in the pot and you are calling a further 1800, so 1800 for a 2260 pot with if it is AK about a 55%-45% at worst shot. I am not good enough to pass that!

I do agree with what Totalise says about the non-linear value of chips, it is huge in SNG's however i feel our edge here is huge i am thinking something like 65-35, no-one can pass that!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »

SNG's should make you less willing to go for early gambles, both because of the non-linear chip values (which are more pronounced in a sng then the early stages of a mutli)

I don't really understand this. Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me? I think at the start of an MTT it is like a cash game where if you have any +EV situation you should take it. But as you accumilate chips each chip you pick up becomes less valuable. I believe this is where (or it could be a completely different concept?Huh???) you get differences between chipEV and $EV. Last night I was ITM in a live tourney but short stacked and blondite Pommy on my right even more short stacked than me pushed his SB into my BB. I had 96 and was apparently (so some geezer was shouting) getting 2.5/1 and I couldn't pass. But if I lose that hand which is likely then I would be crippled with no FE left whatsoever. I think in that situation because my chips are so valuable and going up just one place gives me more money this is a correct fold because my $ or in this case £EV is more than my ChipEV. But I'm very fuzzy on all of this.

In a SNG I believe a good player has an edge over bad players if he's a good pushbot but I dunno sometimes you don't see a good hand all SNG and end up pushing J9 into AA or something. Struggling to get the non linear thing tho.

I don't think I could fold this hand btw  Cheesy
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 02:26:47 PM »

I don't really understand this. Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me? I think at the start of an MTT it is like a cash game where if you have any +EV situation you should take it. But as you accumilate chips each chip you pick up becomes less valuable. I believe this is where (or it could be a completely different concept???) you get differences between chipEV and $EV.

Right. The difference between the Multi and the SNG in terms of chip value is that if you double up on the first hand (as an example) your tournament equity hasn't doubled. If you play a $20 sng, with a prize structure of 50/30/20% breakdown.. your stack at the beginning is "worth"  $20 (assuming parity in skill level). If you double up, its not worth $40, its worth about $36. If you win someone elses stack after that, its not worth another $20 to you, its worth about $14.. if you get all the chips, you dont get all the prize pool... you get to the stage where you can have half the chips in play which should be 5 buyins ($20*5) but clearly the most your stack can ever be worth is $50 due to the breakdown of the prize pool. This is why there are chip considerations in play when deciding to go for gambles in the early stages. If you are a casual player, then you shouldn't really pay much attention to it, if you are a pushbot pro like tank, repeatedly taking scenarios that are -$ev but plus Cev are likely to have a pretty serious impact on your overall EV. Compare that to a Multi, where there are for example 1000 runnners and a $20 buyin, because at the start the chips are such a minute % of the overall tournament, if you double up on the first hand, you are pretty much doubling your equity, so at the early stages, Chip values are assumed to be linear. Naturally, the later you get into the tourney, the less this applies.

Last night I was ITM in a live tourney but short stacked and blondite Pommy on my right even more short stacked than me pushed his SB into my BB. I had 96 and was apparently (so some geezer was shouting) getting 2.5/1 and I couldn't pass. But if I lose that hand which is likely then I would be crippled with no FE left whatsoever. I think in that situation because my chips are so valuable and going up just one place gives me more money this is a correct fold because my $ or in this case £EV is more than my ChipEV. But I'm very fuzzy on all of this.

This is dependant on game conditions as much as anything else, although I do believe that turning down marginal +EV chances in order to retain leverage is a valid tournament strategy, irrespective of EV considerations.. as always, it depends

In a SNG I believe a good player has an edge over bad players if he's a good pushbot but I dunno sometimes you don't see a good hand all SNG and end up pushing J9 into AA or something. Struggling to get the non linear thing tho.

yeah, sometimes you do wake up and walk into a big hand, but thats poker. I dont know if my post helped at all with the non-linear stuff, I wrote it fleetingly and haven't proof read it, am playing a few tables at the momo.. so if its still confusing, speak up and I'll try and explain it better when time permits.

I don't think I could fold this hand btw 

I dont think I could fold it without a read either,but when tricky players (which i think the OP alludes to in his intial post) do this move, I tend to try and give em more credit for not playing JJ or below this way, and as a result dont really want to take QQ up against AK/QQ/KK/AA

hth
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »

Well, did you call or fold?
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 11:56:47 PM »

i called, he aces and i lost.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: