blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Call, Raise or Fold?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Call, Raise or Fold?  (Read 1436 times)
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

About 3 hands ago Badboy limped utg with K10off and called my all in when I had JJ in the big blind and doubled me up. I don't have any other details on him.

Table "Tourney 2417579 - 1" Seat 6 is the button.
Seat 2: Djjacko05 (11862.50 in chips)
Seat 3: Bellion (2655 in chips)
Seat 4: Achilles1 (16587.50 in chips)
Seat 6: Foaming_h (10000 in chips)
Seat 7: DIPeers (12575 in chips)
Seat 8: Badboy035 (19690 in chips)
Seat 9: Wezz26 (4985 in chips)
Seat 10: sucrose (8645 in chips)
DIPeers: posts the ante 75
Badboy035: posts the ante 75
Wezz26: posts the ante 75
sucrose: posts the ante 75
Djjacko05: posts the ante 75
Bellion: posts the ante 75
Achilles1: posts the ante 75
Foaming_h: posts the ante 75
DIPeers: posts small blind 300
Badboy035: posts big blind 600
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Foaming_h [ ]
Wezz26: folds
sucrose: folds
Djjacko05: folds
Bellion: folds
Achilles1: folds
Foaming_h: raises to 1800
DIPeers: folds
Badboy035: calls 1200
----- FLOP ----- [ ]
Badboy035: bets 600

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:17:47 PM »

I dont mind just giving up here... bluff raising a lead on a 10/J/x board is real dangerous as that flop fits so many hands that are in his calling range, and it is going to cost you quite a lot of chips to find out if he is at-it, and losing those chips in your stack hinders your tourney much more then what you gain from the pot the times you are right (not so much from chip values, but from a leverage/strategic perspective)

If the flop was a different texture, I'd raise here just because of the pot size/bet size a lot, but in my experience, you aren't getting people like this to fold very often on flops like this, and so with a very limited amount of FE, it just seems like spewage. I guess calling and playing the turn is ok, its cheap enough, but you are just playing the hand almost blind, with no idea what you wanna see on the turn.

You certainly feel like a pussy folding for such a small bet, but the alternatives are equally crap, so folding and retaining a stack that gives you leverage later on is likely best, and if he is a calling station, let him call you when you have something. I certainly wont say calling and seeing a turn is wrong, its just not something I like to do tooo often in specific situations/flops like this.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 07:28:50 PM by totalise » Logged
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:20:25 PM »

So there is nearly 4k in the pot and he bets out 600! I am tempted to reraise on general principle. With the j and 10 on the board tho I am not sure that you are ahead but getting 6-1 + on the call I cant fold . I would be tempted against some players to flat call and hope to hit the a or a str draw on the turn and then try to bet them off but I dont think this is giong to work against a player who calls utg then calls an all in with k10. Problem is he could easily have 10 j here or mebbe even a set. I have no idea wnere you are here so I think you have to ask a question by reraising but not enough to commit , if he doesnt have a monster this may even buy you a free river.
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:46:03 PM »

My stereotype of this type of player is that he won't bet with nothing, he may just have a draw but it is likely he has paired and i would let it go here. Plus, he is a calling station so you don't have much FE, hence i wouldn't want to raise.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 07:57:47 PM »

I probably opt for the flop call then turn raise.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 04:41:30 AM »

I ended up folding. He showed 

Sad

I think the minimum bet worked well though, I can't raise without commiting my stack. Bigger raise preflop?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 04:49:14 AM by NoflopsHomer » Logged

dan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:27:22 AM »

I dont mind just giving up here... bluff raising a lead on a 10/J/x board is real dangerous as that flop fits so many hands that are in his calling range, and it is going to cost you quite a lot of chips to find out if he is at-it, and losing those chips in your stack hinders your tourney much more then what you gain from the pot the times you are right (not so much from chip values, but from a leverage/strategic perspective)

If the flop was a different texture, I'd raise here just because of the pot size/bet size a lot, but in my experience, you aren't getting people like this to fold very often on flops like this, and so with a very limited amount of FE, it just seems like spewage. I guess calling and playing the turn is ok, its cheap enough, but you are just playing the hand almost blind, with no idea what you wanna see on the turn.

You certainly feel like a pussy folding for such a small bet, but the alternatives are equally crap, so folding and retaining a stack that gives you leverage later on is likely best, and if he is a calling station, let him call you when you have something. I certainly wont say calling and seeing a turn is wrong, its just not something I like to do tooo often in specific situations/flops like this.

as always.

totalise all your posts in this section are great advice.

i personally might try to raise i hate letting a pot go that cheaply. like flushie i might call and raise on the turn but only if the turn bet is weak aswell
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 05:28:46 PM »

3 choices based on your chip stack status after the hand.

Fold, this will maintain a reasonable amount of chips in order to see enough hands to maybe catch a decent holding and double through. Unfortunately this will lead you into middle stack horror positioning, you have two large stacks to your right and a shortstack who will all be feeding from you. You also have no one to feed from on your left given the size of their stacks and the loose play he has shown. If you fold you basically commit yourself to push or fold poker.

Call, Your immediate read on him is that he is loose and probably not a good player. The small bet immediately suggests a drawing hand and since he has seen you play a quality hand against him previously he is trying to assess the strentgh of your hand with a little tickler bet. If you have an overpair he will expect you to re raise immediately, if you have not connected with the board he may expect a weak re raise or a fold as you dont have the chips to bluff. A Call will be more baffleing for him but in my experience he will expect weakness most of the time, due to the fact an AK, AQ, small pair would probably call his flop bet he will lead for a bigger bet on the turn if an apparent blank hits and now you are forced to fold as your re raise is worthless. A call in this situation most of the time will lead to more losses and also give him chance to hit his draw or pair up. The end result leaves you in a similar or worse situation positionally as folding.

Raise, If you re raise here and the bet gets through (which is very likely if he has no hand as from his perception he has nowhere to push you) you will have drastically improved your postional situation in terms of being able to steal and not be stolen from allowing you to play poker. If you re raise and your bet does not get through then you are at a slightly worse situation than folding or the probable outcome of calling would get you but only in the sense of having a few less chips with which to push when you do.

I re raise the flop and give myself a chance to win without having to have the deck hit me in the face to get back in with a chance of winning the tourney.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: