blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Bad river card
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad river card  (Read 1143 times)
JP

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »

I played a cash game at the Sportsman last night and a very interesting hand came up. Blinds £5/£5 £250 sit down.

I'm sat with about £1250 and I've just shown a bluff to a loose player (i made a cool squeeze play on him and Carlo Smiley on the flop after playing tight for an hour). I showed the bluff for a reason to generate action for a future hand.

I pick up  a couple off the button and open for £15. Loose player calls and is sat with about the same as does the sb and bb it's a fairly loose table.

Flop:  . Good flop which I lead at for £50 and is called by the loose player on the button who is itching to get back at me, just us 2 left.

Turn:  . Brilliant turn card. Loose player will have a pop so I check it to him and sure enough he fires £100. Easy check raise here I think just a case of how much so i make it £350 total and
                he calls fairly quickly like he did on the flop. Probably should have charged him the most but I got the virtual nuts here don't want to lose him.

River:  . I'd already decided whatever the river card i was going to check even if it was an  or  Two Clubs. So he immediately goes "pot" which was about £850. He looked SOOOOO
               weak he was chekcing back at his hand loads trying to look cool got up and asked for the clock. Went against my instincts and folded due to the fact he was calling to hit something
               and the river completes his draw, and I thought he was overdoing the weakness!) He turns over  and says something like got ya back. Well played sir

What you guys think...? For his play to work it must be a heart on the river and he is betting the pot regardless and honestly I would have checked the nuts to him. Just unlucky a heart came or a lesson to go with my instincts lol.

(The story has a happy ending as I virtually stacked him with  30 mins later. Justice)
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 07:41:40 PM »

If he had a flush draw he would check behind you on the turn surely? (I'm a not a cash player though)

KeithyB

It's a Euro Rover...old man!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 03:06:11 AM »

I think your history with the bluff might have come into play here.  He may be working on theory that you won't think he's bluffing here because you think he'll be assuming you have a hand as you bluffed him previously.   ( Hope that makes sense! )

He can only do this because of the heart falling on the river because his  means that you cannot possibly have the nut flush which he hopes creates enough doubt for you to fold.   No heart on river and he can't pull this move off.   Very gutsy or a desperate move....I'm not sure which!

Leaving all the above to one side surely he should have baled out after you raised him on the turn though??

Thankfully it all had a happy ending though!   thumbs up
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 03:19:09 AM »

Online, given this line, its a clear enough fold (although naturally you dont fold all the time otherwise people just bet into you every time a scare card comes)

Live, I dont have a lot of experience.. but if I had a read that strong, I wouldn't be using it to find a fold.

JP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »

Live, I dont have a lot of experience.. but if I had a read that strong, I wouldn't be using it to find a fold.

You'll find a lot of loose players will make big bets and try their hardest to look like they're bluffing when they got the nuts. Also, in hands I sometimes (wrongly) disregard the betting in hands and go with "reads". I was trying to find a hand i could beat and was struggling.

He can only do this because of the heart falling on the river because his  means that you cannot possibly have the nut flush which he hopes creates enough doubt for you to fold.   No heart on river and he can't pull this move off.   Very gutsy or a desperate move....I'm not sure which!

Leaving all the above to one side surely he should have baled out after you raised him on the turn though??

I thought the same he has called to "outplay" me yet if I river the nuts I check and he is going to make the same bet. I think it was a desperate move that happened to work because the heart fell. i would like to think it was quality play yet my hand was so stong it has a very small % success rate.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 11:24:45 AM »

Hello Jp.

Nothing to do with this hand but we were playing a cash game in walsall a while a go and i rivered a terrible card against you which stopped me stacking you and when i told you you were in trouble at the turn you quite definately told me i was in trouble at the turn and you were moaning to a mate that the river cost you a stack.
The flop was A93 and i held A9 and you held 99, i smooth called your flop bet and the turn was another A i smooth called your turn bet as well intending to get the lot on the river and unfortunately it came another 3 which made it an easy fold for you when i put in a biggish bet on the river.

Obviously i doubt you will remember the hand but just to let you know you were in trouble at the turn.

JP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 01:18:52 PM »

I probably had nothing lol. Sounds like one of my creative hands I made up. How long ago was this I vaguely remember not sure though. More like the river stopped me bluffing haha.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 02:44:03 PM »

ages ago, one of the festivals late last year. You made me laugh because you sat down with about 2k when the average was about £200.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »

ages ago, one of the festivals late last year. You made me laugh because you sat down with about 2k when the average was about £200.

Did he leave with 200 though?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: