blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272682 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Liverpool FC
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 ... 750 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liverpool FC  (Read 1290709 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3075 on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »

@ 35mill for Carrol. Ridic poor bit of business.

Quoted for future use.

How many goals does he have to score for you before it's a great bit of business?

It's panic buying at it's very worst.

Didn't say it was a great bit of business.  I just don't think it's "ridic poor bit of business" - and I guess time will tell.

I know if we hadn't signed him, we'd have taken a step backwards this transfer window. had time to have a proper look at the world wide market and would have been able to start looking at better summer signings which would have been cheaper rather than spend 35mill on a player who isn't even proven yet.

FYP,

If Man City had paid this much for Carrol everyone would have said "Well, it's City and they just spend crazy money". I don't see why that doesn't go for Liverpool.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3076 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:50 AM »

Quoted for future use.

How many goals does he have to score for you before it's a great bit of business?

Didn't say it was a great bit of business.  I just don't think it's "ridic poor bit of business" - and I guess time will tell.

I know if we hadn't signed him, we'd have taken a step backwards this transfer window. had time to have a proper look at the world wide market and would have been able to start looking at better summer signings which would have been cheaper rather than spend 35mill on a player who isn't even proven yet.

FYP,

If Man City had paid this much for Carrol everyone would have said "Well, it's City and they just spend crazy money". I don't see why that doesn't go for Liverpool.

We sold Torres for an inflated price, which meant we could buy Carroll at an inflated price.  I'm not saying Carroll is a £35M player, but what is his value to a rebuilding Liverpool?  Obviously Kenny and the owners thought he was worth that.

John Henry has said (and backed it up with his actions with the Red Sox) that you often have to 'overspend' on individuals to get the player you want.  I guess he believes that paying an inflated price is worth it, compared to the risk of not getting that player.

Like I said, our net spend this window was £1.8M.  Abramovich spent how much (and I think it's the most he's spent since Mourinho was at the club)?  Is spending £1.8M to ensure we don't move backwards a good bit of business?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:22:31 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3077 on: February 01, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »

This is a nothing season for Liverpool, Andy Carroll isn't going to change that. He was going to be leaving Newcastle during the summer anyways, I think everybody accepts that, and you probably would have spent 10mill less on him if you had bought him during that transfer window.

And to say
Is spending £1.8M to ensure we don't move backwards a good bit of business?
is like a woman saying "Yeah but it was on sale so it's a good idea to buy it". You paid the eight highest fee in the world ever for Andy Carroll. NUFC must be laughing their arses off. Dzeko only cost Man City 27mill, Andy Carroll doesn't have the proven ability of Dzeko and not everyone and their granny was after Caroll.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »

Quoted for future use.

FYP,

We sold Torres for an inflated price, which meant we could buy Carroll at an inflated price.  I'm not saying Carroll is a £35M player, but what is his value to a rebuilding Liverpool?  Obviously Kenny and the owners thought he was worth that.

John Henry has said (and backed it up with his actions with the Red Sox) that you often have to 'overspend' on individuals to get the player you want.  I guess he believes that paying an inflated price is worth it, compared to the risk of not getting that player.

Like I said, our net spend this window was £1.8M.  Abramovich spent how much (and I think it's the most he's spent since Mourinho was at the club)?  Is spending £1.8M to ensure we don't move backwards a good bit of business?

1 week ago if you had listed the top 10 strikers in the world would he have been in it?

I think you have paid £15m too much for carroll. Your season is over - in my opinion you should have consoldated till summer. The only positive is that he now has 6 months to bed into the team (which you cannot overrate), but im not sure that £35m was good business.

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: February 01, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »

I think Carroll will turn out to be a great buy for you, he has the potential to be world class, the fact it's just potential at the minute is why it's a great deal for us but still a little disappointed that he's gone.

The thing I do not understand  why Newcastle sold him so late with no replacement lined up.

The choices up front are not exactly appealling as a quality Premiership strikeforce.

Best, Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Ranger.

Nowhere near safe yet, a couple of losses now, the wobbles will set in.

£35m is great business, but not if it costs you your Premiership place.

We've had a few decent performances recently (except v stevenage...) that carroll has been absent for. I think to claim he's the difference between relegation/survival is a bit extreme.

As much as I'd like Carroll to stay in the side you simply can't turn down £35m+. I wanted to keep him at £30m. But giving it some thought, and then hearing £35m + extras, it's just a ridic price. Just know hoping obviously that the money goes into the team in the summer...

What price will you lay me that Newcastle score 15 goals or less in the last 15 games of the season?

3/1

£100? Or whatever you are comfortable laying mate.

£50 and your on

Booked.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: February 01, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »

go on then il lay the rest whatever u want at - dont rate them but they should be able to do this

I'll have another £100 @ 3/1

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3081 on: February 01, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »

Quoted for future use.

FYP,

1 week ago if you had listed the top 10 strikers in the world would he have been in it?

I think you have paid £15m too much for carroll. Your season is over - in my opinion you should have consoldated till summer. The only positive is that he now has 6 months to bed into the team (which you cannot overrate), but im not sure that £35m was good business.

Maybe it was £15M too much?  But like you say, getting him now along with Suarez, rather than waiting till the summer and then having to wait for the team to 'gel' again and we have another season effectively written off.  Not only that, but it sounds out Liverpool's intentions and we might be able to attract the players we want in the summer (hopefully).

Over 5 years, he'll cost Liverpool £13M less in wages (basic calculation - that doesn't include bonus calculations or other stuff - but I'm sure that would level itself out) than if we'd kept Torres.  It's probably fair to say a Top 10 striker would have commanded/demanded the same wages as Torres. So if Carroll can prove to be anywhere near as good as his potential, then the net cost is far lower.  In addition to that, there's his value in 5 year's time.  He'll be 27, Torres will be 31.  Torres will suffer from depreciation in that time, I'd like to think Carroll won't.

I'm not saying it's the bargain of the century, or that Liverpool didn't pay too much for him (based on cold market values in a vacuum).  I just don't think it's the terrible bit of business that many are saying it is.  Of course, I'd have loved to have kept Torres (if he'd wanted to stay) and buy Carroll as well.  But that was never to be, so I'm looking at the positives of the situation.  It's definitely better value than the £30M Chelsea paid for Shevchenko, or the £28M Man u paid for Veron in 2001 (which would be far more than £35M in relative terms).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:11 PM »

delusion ITT

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:09 PM »

Is it confirmed how long Carroll is out for?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3084 on: February 01, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »

Ryan Babel has used his official Twitter account to thank Liverpool fans for the support they gave him during his three and a half year spell at Anfield.

After 146 appearances and 22 goals, the Dutchman bade farewell to the Reds last week by signing for German side Hoffenheim.

However, Babel was eager to express his gratitude to Kopites and admits he feels privileged to have played for Liverpool.

He Tweeted the following on @RyanBabel on Monday night:

"There is no other club then Liverpool with the anthem " YNWA " !!! #Beautiful

"But hey I'm gonna dedicate a few tweets to some lfc fans.

"Wanna thank ALL of you fans but the ones in particular who believed in me and supported me all those years.

"Its definitely a shame it didn't worked out for me and the club, but that's how it is sometimes.

"I was blessed to work with one of the greatest football players and I learned a lot

"I learn to love the lfc way, the city, the people and I made lots of friends in Liverpool

"I wanna wish Liverpool all the luck and I hope they will end in top 4 where they belong

"And thanks for still following me on here .. #YNWA"

Was never a big fan but gl in the future, hope he makes it big

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3085 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »

Yes, it's a shame Torres didn't share the same sentiments.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3086 on: February 01, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »

Is it confirmed how long Carroll is out for?

He was expected back for Newcastle's game on the 5th.  Don't know if that's still the same or not (I know he won't be involved in Newcastle's game on the 5th, but you know what I mean).

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »

"I was blessed to work with one of the greatest football players and I learned a lot

N'goals.  Thought of highly.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: February 01, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »

go on then il lay the rest whatever u want at - dont rate them but they should be able to do this

I'll have another £100 @ 3/1

Booked
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3089 on: February 01, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »

Looks like Torres won't be playing on Sunday now.

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 ... 750 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: