blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 02:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The Next President of the United States
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 308 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 675134 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: November 13, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »

"I passionately defend my right to be ignorant" is a very difficult position to combat. I'm very aware the well educated, well informed moderate left are their own worst enemy, it's harder than you might realise to do anything about it though. Any advice would be most welcome.

Don't do anything, carry on as you are because as recent evidence suggests liberals ranting, wanting their own way, not accepting others views and throwing the name calling in has the effect of them not getting their own way which suits me.

Can you call me a name for old times sake whilst you are here? I miss that... 
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 13, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »

"I passionately defend my right to be ignorant" is a very difficult position to combat. I'm very aware the well educated, well informed moderate left are their own worst enemy, it's harder than you might realise to do anything about it though. Any advice would be most welcome.

Don't do anything, carry on as you are because as recent evidence suggests liberals ranting, wanting their own way, not accepting others views and throwing the name calling in has the effect of them not getting their own way which suits me.

You seem to embody everything that's bad about human nature as it relates to modern democracy. Isn't that enough?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 01:37:59 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 13, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »

You seem to embody everything that's bad about human nature as it relates to modern democracy. Isn't that enough?

Ahh I feel better now.....  

You should make a point of more name calling on here, you can then go away and enjoy your Sunday afternoon feeling smug and superior that you've given one of those ignorant thick types a piece of your mind.

I can go away safe in the knowledge that you've probably driven another person away from voting for your kind of politics.

Win win all around imo  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:53:20 PM by Woodsey » Logged
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 14, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 14, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

And thats the problem. The Left don't ask Why? How? Where is the middle ground?

The left seem to think they have a monopoly on intelligence. They don't understand that there are people in the centre, or slightly right of centre who would gladly vote for them or meet them on some form of middle ground if they thought their concerns could be listened to and acted upon. But no, its all insults and screams of 'Racist'.

Indeed. The left are weak in the area of compromise and have a condescending and often insulting way of putting their arguments across.  Accordingly they are being hit out of the park on every vote that happens at the moment.  If they reflected on their own debating skills they would find that people would listen to their policies.  The wailing reaction to Trump doesn't offer much encouragement of that happening anytime soon.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 14, 2016, 10:38:30 AM »

wall street journal

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 14, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

Comment on Independent article re Theresa May playing catch-up after Farage meets Trump:

"I think your Prime Minister Mr. Farage is a great guy!  With him in charge of England and Trump in charge of the USA our two countries will get along fine."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-nigel-farage-first-meeting-donald-trump-speech-trade-us-elections-a7415231.html
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: November 14, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »

Here's a really good article about how the left and the right have a different approach to framing political arguments, and how human nature seems to benefit those on the right.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/13/make-america-great-again-why-are-liberals-losing-the-war-of-soundbites
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 14, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »

The left seem to think they have a monopoly on intelligence. They don't understand that there are people in the centre, or slightly right of centre who would gladly vote for them or meet them on some form of middle ground if they thought their concerns could be listened to and acted upon. But no, its all insults and screams of 'Racist'.

Indeed. The left are weak in the area of compromise and have a condescending and often insulting way of putting their arguments across.  Accordingly they are being hit out of the park on every vote that happens at the moment.  If they reflected on their own debating skills they would find that people would listen to their policies.  The wailing reaction to Trump doesn't offer much encouragement of that happening anytime soon.

The left is struggling because of the insulting way they express themselves. They should take a leaf out of that nice Trump fella's book.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1359 on: November 14, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »

Here's a really good article about how the left and the right have a different approach to framing political arguments, and how human nature seems to benefit those on the right.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/13/make-america-great-again-why-are-liberals-losing-the-war-of-soundbites

Shall have a look at that, I'd also recommend the work of Jonathan Haidt on this and his 'Moral Foundations Theory' which is a really useful framework for understanding why left and right have different value systems:

^^^ he has done tons of great vids like this on YouTube
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1360 on: November 14, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »

Shall have a look at that, I'd also recommend the work of Jonathan Haidt on this and his 'Moral Foundations Theory' which is a really useful framework for understanding why left and right have different value systems:

Yeah - his work is mentioned in the piece.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1361 on: November 14, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »

The left is struggling because of the insulting way they express themselves. They should take a leaf out of that nice Trump fella's book.

Actually a lot of pundits are saying the reason why Trump won is because he embraced the leftist tactics espoused by the Saul Alinsky book 'Rules for Radicals' which had previously been the playbook for political movements on the left (Hillary Clinton being a big fan). Trump, Breitbart, these Alt Right fellas etc all point to using leftist tactics against the left as the reason they won.

Left/Right - if you are on the far end of either you are going to be a c***, will have skewed morality and are probably stupid. Partisanship is a way to give idiots a way to think and feel about the world, imo.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1362 on: November 14, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »

Yeah - his work is mentioned in the piece.

His book The Righteous Mind is all about this, highly recommend that too.

Also for the growing Sam Harris fanboys ITT, he had a great chat with him

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 14, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »

Trump is obviously a special case and Clinton v Trump pretty much 2 right wing choices anyway.  But the point remains the left are fundamentally poor at putting their case over, and come as bitter when they get a kicking at the ballot box (to me anyway).  I'm open to arguments on controls over multiple house ownership and tax, for example, but frankly the left often come across poorly and I just don't listen.  I often feel they are just lashing out in anger at multiple targets like students demonstrators.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1364 on: November 14, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »

Trump is obviously a special case and Clinton v Trump pretty much 2 right wing choices anyway.  But the point remains the left are fundamentally poor at putting their case over, and come as bitter when they get a kicking at the ballot box (to me anyway).  I'm open to arguments on controls over multiple house ownership and tax, for example, but frankly the left often come across poorly and I just don't listen.  I often feel they are just lashing out in anger at multiple targets like students demonstrators.

RACIST!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 308 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: