blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 12:04:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1850 1851 1852 1853 [1854] 1855 1856 1857 1858 ... 2344 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3630865 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27795 on: February 28, 2016, 02:06:38 AM »

A quick update - the window is now soldered, so I could lift it off the workboard & put it on the lightbox:

Click to see full-size image.

Polishing, grouting, blacking the lead & trimming to go before fitting it in the window. I can see every mistake still, but overall I'm delighted with it.

So the home straight on the window took a fair bit longer than I expected, the blacking polish produces a powder as you polish it - and this powder stuck to the glass, because there are so many small pieces of glass cleaning it ended up taking the blacking off the lead. So after half a dozen tries, using many different tools/cleaners I was about ready to bin it. Thankfully Fiona (my teacher) suggested using enamel paints used by model makers instead - it worked!!

So then it was just down to the fitting...

Confession Time…
I’ve been really proud of the stained glass I’ve made, and incredibly surprised. I am incredibly lacking in practical ability. As an apprentice in the telephone exchanges a frustrated wireman once shouted at me “Just stop f*£%ing thinking & let your hands do the work!! Your problem is all your brains are in your head!!”.

So that said I’ve gained some confidence having made some nice glass pieces, so I decided to fit my latest one, the lilies, in the window of the back door at my parent’s house. I removed the inside moldings, made sure the glass fit (which needed some spacers) and some padding to protect the glass from the vibrations of the door closing. All good so far. I decided that the replacement molding needed to be a bit wider, to allow it to securely hold the outside lead of the new panel, and if it was going to be wider, make it decorative, effectively a frame for the panel.

To take an 8 foot strip of molding and make a frame of approx. 18x9 inches you need the right tools, accurate measurement & a modicum of ability. 2 out of 3 aint bad…

The First Cut is the Daftest.

You can probably imagine my language when I noticed my little mistake...

An hour and much bad language later my frame was taking shape:

Geo the Sarge kindly told me that at least I make good kindling...

So a 60 mile round trip to get a new 8 foot piece, and my mate the joiner will be getting asked to cut it for me, bet it takes the bugger all of 5 minutes, and it'll be accurate.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:09:19 AM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27796 on: February 28, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »

Well that cheered up my Sunday morning no end Rod.

I love "All your brains are in your head" you know exactly what he means.

I liked "The first cut is the daftest" too. Mitering can has a way of reversing you brain waves. You could build an ark with the wood I've ruined over the years. My grandad used to do miter and dovetail joints freehand, just marking the wood seemingly at random with his thumbnail.

Your piece is looking great now though. I wish I had the patience for something like that.

The older I get, the better I was.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27797 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »

Comeing along nicely Rodders

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27798 on: February 28, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »

I liked "The first cut is the daftest" too. Mitering can has a way of reversing you brain waves. You could build an ark with the wood I've ruined over the years. My grandad used to do miter and dovetail joints freehand, just marking the wood seemingly at random with his thumbnail.

Your piece is looking great now though. I wish I had the patience for something like that.

I'm far more likely to want instant gratification, so didn't think I'd get into it, but it's funny, I don't think patience is particularly needed. It's a very progressive task, each job must be done and done right before you get to move to the next one, giving you a lot of small satisfactions with some bigger payoffs on the way (all cut & laid out, leaded up, soldered & then finished).

It's also great being in the group (we're so lucky to have a great professional glass maker in the area to start it), everybody seems to find a completely different take on what they produce, so while you all encounter the same problems & can commiserate/advise, there's always something to learn from and admire.

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #27799 on: February 28, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »

A quick update - the window is now soldered, so I could lift it off the workboard & put it on the lightbox:

Polishing, grouting, blacking the lead & trimming to go before fitting it in the window. I can see every mistake still, but overall I'm delighted with it.

So the home straight on the window took a fair bit longer than I expected, the blacking polish produces a powder as you polish it - and this powder stuck to the glass, because there are so many small pieces of glass cleaning it ended up taking the blacking off the lead. So after half a dozen tries, using many different tools/cleaners I was about ready to bin it. Thankfully Fiona (my teacher) suggested using enamel paints used by model makers instead - it worked!!

So then it was just down to the fitting...

Confession Time…
I’ve been really proud of the stained glass I’ve made, and incredibly surprised. I am incredibly lacking in practical ability. As an apprentice in the telephone exchanges a frustrated wireman once shouted at me “Just stop f*£%ing thinking & let your hands do the work!! Your problem is all your brains are in your head!!”.

So that said I’ve gained some confidence having made some nice glass pieces, so I decided to fit my latest one, the lilies, in the window of the back door at my parent’s house. I removed the inside moldings, made sure the glass fit (which needed some spacers) and some padding to protect the glass from the vibrations of the door closing. All good so far. I decided that the replacement molding needed to be a bit wider, to allow it to securely hold the outside lead of the new panel, and if it was going to be wider, make it decorative, effectively a frame for the panel.

To take an 8 foot strip of molding and make a frame of approx. 18x9 inches you need the right tools, accurate measurement & a modicum of ability. 2 out of 3 aint bad…

The First Cut is the Daftest.

You can probably imagine my language when I noticed my little mistake...

An hour and much bad language later my frame was taking shape:

Geo the Sarge kindly told me that at least I make good kindling...

So a 60 mile round trip to get a new 8 foot piece, and my mate the joiner will be getting asked to cut it for me, bet it takes the bugger all of 5 minutes, and it'll be accurate.

I fitted some fitted wardrobes for my parents a good few years ago now and I was no better at working out which way to cut the mitred joints at the end than I was at the beginning. If you haven't actually tried it you wouldn't believe how much the brain struggles with it.
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #27800 on: February 29, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »

I have every sympathy with Rod, over the years I've done quite a bit DIY in the house, worst two things ever was bathroom and carpet tiles, when it got to the wee nooks and crannies where you had to cut to fit recesses etc I was absolutely useless. No matter how many times I measured before cutting I always had it arse about tit.

Recently my son and I were attempting to put up some coving, even with a mitre block and instructions we gave up after about 4 hours and just paid someone to come in and do it......................so frustrating.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27801 on: February 29, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »

I have every sympathy with Rod, over the years I've done quite a bit DIY in the house, worst two things ever was bathroom and carpet tiles, when it got to the wee nooks and crannies where you had to cut to fit recesses etc I was absolutely useless. No matter how many times I measured before cutting I always had it arse about tit.

Recently my son and I were attempting to put up some coving, even with a mitre block and instructions we gave up after about 4 hours and just paid someone to come in and do it......................so frustrating.

Geo

I was getting slagged over this in the pub yesterday & one guy said he'd love to see me trying to fit coving.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27802 on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »

not sure why, but i thought this might appeal to you

genunely different photography

Abandoned jail in pictures: Photographer Will Ellis visits spooky prison in the US http://goo.gl/rQq3A1 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27803 on: March 01, 2016, 06:59:14 PM »

not sure why, but i thought this might appeal to you

genunely different photography

Abandoned jail in pictures: Photographer Will Ellis visits spooky prison in the US http://goo.gl/rQq3A1 

Thanks for thinking of me Rich.

As you know I love photography but I'm afraid these pics just don't do it for me. As far as I can see he has just pointed the camera and pressed the button, which is fine if the subject matter is strong enough to carry it off. Alas, in this case, it isn't.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27804 on: March 01, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »

I took this point and shoot in Alcatraz, it's one of the escape cells.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27805 on: March 04, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »

After many years of faithful service, my little frying pan has finally shuffled off it's mortal coil and gone to that great gas ring in the sky. (Well it has if it can get there from the wheelie bin).

Hungry after my mornings exertions, and with a small piece of steak and two free range eggs calling to me from the back of the fridge, I was forced to break out a new, ceramic frying pan that Mrs Red bought in a 75% off sale in January 2012.

OMG!

Have you ever used one of these things? My eggs slid around in there like Torvill & Dean on valium, and when they were cooked to my liking, (Firm white, dippy yolk) I tilted the pan no more than 20° and floated them out on to my plate as gently as a light mist rolling on to a beach from the sea. Then, a quick wipe with a paper towel and my pan was shining like brand new again.

Incredible.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27806 on: March 04, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »

I found the coating didn't last long on them, but I'm not easy on implements. I've now got hard anodised fry pans from Denby, they've lasted 3 years without showing any effects.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27807 on: March 04, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »

I found the coating didn't last long on them, but I'm not easy on implements. I've now got hard anodised fry pans from Denby, they've lasted 3 years without showing any effects.

Nooo...  Say it isn't so.

Why can't they make a good non-stick pan? It's not rocket science.  

PS- ^^^ I've left the door open for someone there.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #27808 on: March 04, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »

I got ceramic pans in the Christmas sales after cooking with them at my fiancees parents house - they really are amazing to cook with but I've always had the suspicion that they will be like non stick and eventually wear off.

I noticed that you can get a massive price range for them - I'm assuming part of that is the normal difference between branded and non-branded; but I would have have thought it could also be because some of them are just made better.

I saw a hint by the way - if they ever look a bit grubby then boiling some baking soda in water in them brings out the shininess again Smiley

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #27809 on: March 04, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »

Nooo...  Say it isn't so.

Why can't they make a good non-stick pan? It's not rocket science.  

PS- ^^^ I've left the door open for someone there.

Jon's suggestion might help. And those Denby pans are still non-stick - clean them with a paper towel even after 3 years.

Pages: 1 ... 1850 1851 1852 1853 [1854] 1855 1856 1857 1858 ... 2344 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: