blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 365068 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: April 20, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »

Next time the next dickhead tells you that they had pre-existing conditions so they would have died soon anyway, you can answer them a bit more politely.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/covid-19-actuaries-response-group_covid-19-arg-death-row-bulletin-activity-6653226206785347584-SQnY

In summary, even people with a raft of interacting pre-existing conditions should not be expecting to die anytime soon, and were typically more than 5 years from death (even amongst the elderly).

It's a really interesting subject this and no doubt the debate over died with or died of is a bit academic except when trying to compare different countries reported Covid death rates and trying to link that to the  impact of the multi varied approaches that countries have taken

It think that the point is that there isn’t a debate to be had between ‘died of’ or ‘died with’. Maybe Doobs can clarify?

I think a debate can be had as there will be people where the virus shifted the death by a few days/ weeks and it certainly has relevance when comparing death rates in different countries.

The article shows that this debate is at the margins though (from a UK perspective) as most people whose death is attributed to the virus will have their lives foreshortened to a degree that suggests the co-morbidity factor can be ignored

Did you see the ‘displaced mortality’ thing I linked? I would have thought the better comparisons would be all cause mortality and then an adjustment/weighting for already known key factors, such as age/morbidity/ethnicity.

Yes. Think that would be the right way to look at it. one day we'll know a lot about this

but in the meantime, people are still right to ask why:

We have a policy on tests based on the fact that we don’t have enough tests or people to administer them, even just for key workers or prisoners, both sets of people where the R0 is almost certainly greater than 1
We have a policy on surveillance testing based on not having enough tests or people to administer them
We have a policy on contact tracing, based on the fact that we don’t have enough people to carry it out (test, trace, isolate). 300 people in the country apparently trained for this.
We have a policy on international arrivals based on the fact that we don’t have testing or resource available to ensure infected people self isolate
We have policy on PPE based on not having adequate PPE. PHE downgrading their advice on ‘safe’ PPE based only on availability of previously ‘safe’ PPE, two changes since March 6 driven only by lack of stuff. Seems to be over 100 healthcare workers have died now.
We have a policy on face masks, for non medical but at risk people, driven only by the fact that we don’t have any face masks.

It’s lack of resources not ‘science’, which is leading our response.

Not sure what that has to do with my contribution but fwiw I agree people should ask whatever they want. Lack of resources dictated our response is not really a revelation though is it, the whole premise has been if too many people get it the NHS will be overwhelmed. That doesn't surprise me or bother me as much as it seems to bother other people.

Hopefully we're doing the max we can, now, in some of those areas to ensure as many restrictions as possible are lifted as soon as possible. At the moment its barely possible to have a conversation about the future due in part to some of the points you make but also because the level of risk aversion we've instilled in people and politicians will take a while to unwind.

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 20, 2020, 02:21:11 PM »

Seen worse, lol.

Go on Rocket!

Always thought you were a positive and supportive person. Go Elton, you gave it everything

Haha, it's definitely not great, but I'm surprised he can even plot up at the piano after 30 years on the charlie.

Would have been worse if he was lip-syncing in the back garden Grin

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 20, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »

Next time the next dickhead tells you that they had pre-existing conditions so they would have died soon anyway, you can answer them a bit more politely.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/covid-19-actuaries-response-group_covid-19-arg-death-row-bulletin-activity-6653226206785347584-SQnY

In summary, even people with a raft of interacting pre-existing conditions should not be expecting to die anytime soon, and were typically more than 5 years from death (even amongst the elderly).

It's a really interesting subject this and no doubt the debate over died with or died of is a bit academic except when trying to compare different countries reported Covid death rates and trying to link that to the  impact of the multi varied approaches that countries have taken

It think that the point is that there isn’t a debate to be had between ‘died of’ or ‘died with’. Maybe Doobs can clarify?

I think a debate can be had as there will be people where the virus shifted the death by a few days/ weeks and it certainly has relevance when comparing death rates in different countries.

The article shows that this debate is at the margins though (from a UK perspective) as most people whose death is attributed to the virus will have their lives foreshortened to a degree that suggests the co-morbidity factor can be ignored

Did you see the ‘displaced mortality’ thing I linked? I would have thought the better comparisons would be all cause mortality and then an adjustment/weighting for already known key factors, such as age/morbidity/ethnicity.

Yes. Think that would be the right way to look at it. one day we'll know a lot about this

but in the meantime, people are still right to ask why:

We have a policy on tests based on the fact that we don’t have enough tests or people to administer them, even just for key workers or prisoners, both sets of people where the R0 is almost certainly greater than 1
We have a policy on surveillance testing based on not having enough tests or people to administer them
We have a policy on contact tracing, based on the fact that we don’t have enough people to carry it out (test, trace, isolate). 300 people in the country apparently trained for this.
We have a policy on international arrivals based on the fact that we don’t have testing or resource available to ensure infected people self isolate
We have policy on PPE based on not having adequate PPE. PHE downgrading their advice on ‘safe’ PPE based only on availability of previously ‘safe’ PPE, two changes since March 6 driven only by lack of stuff. Seems to be over 100 healthcare workers have died now.
We have a policy on face masks, for non medical but at risk people, driven only by the fact that we don’t have any face masks.

It’s lack of resources not ‘science’, which is leading our response.

Not sure what that has to do with my contribution but fwiw I agree people should ask whatever they want. Lack of resources dictated our response is not really a revelation though is it, the whole premise has been if too many people get it the NHS will be overwhelmed. That doesn't surprise me or bother me as much as it seems to bother other people.

Hopefully we're doing the max we can, now, in some of those areas to ensure as many restrictions as possible are lifted as soon as possible. At the moment its barely possible to have a conversation about the future due in part to some of the points you make but also because the level of risk aversion we've instilled in people and politicians will take a while to unwind.

It wasn’t directed at you. Just a segue on to issues that can be addressed now, rather than later.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 20, 2020, 03:08:06 PM »

Thanks for that post Doobs, lots to look in to.

I also just found out that Nassim Taleb is very active on Twitter, that’s weeks of reading for me.

For those not familiar, this guy, he’s been discussed quite a bit on the forum over the years:

https://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/

I thought I'd mentioned him a few weeks ago.  He was very good for a while, but then he didn't seem cynical enough with Didier Raoult (the promotor of chloroquine).   Ha, just checked and his last post mentioned Raoult.  FWIW I think there are doubts about his sturdy and the person.  For a doctor, he sure seems to attract a lot of bad press.  There are lots of big independet studies into this and other treatments across the World, so we will know soon enough if it is effective.

I’ve greatly enjoyed all of his books, he has strong, even forceful opinions on such a range of things and I don’t doubt he has a huge intellect. It’s is quite hard to assess the validity of lots of his stuff, as I feel like his main thing is being ahead of the curve and so there’s usually little corroborating or otherwise information, this situation is a bit different.

It seems strange that he has a long running low level feud with The Guardian, he mentions at least twice in the footnotes of his books that they don’t understand his work well enough to criticise it and in return they give his next book an even harsher review. It’s an odd one, where you’d expect both sides to be above it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 03:10:09 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 20, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »

I also just found out that Nassim Taleb is very active on Twitter, that’s weeks of reading for me.

For those not familiar, this guy, he’s been discussed quite a bit on the forum over the years:

I thought I'd mentioned him a few weeks ago.  He was very good for a while, but then he didn't seem cynical enough with Didier Raoult (the promotor of chloroquine).   Ha, just checked and his last post mentioned Raoult.  FWIW I think there are doubts about his sturdy and the person.  For a doctor, he sure seems to attract a lot of bad press.  There are lots of big independet studies into this and other treatments across the World, so we will know soon enough if it is effective.

I’ve greatly enjoyed all of his books, he has strong, even forceful opinions on such a range of things and I don’t doubt he has a huge intellect. It’s is quite hard to assess the validity of lots of his stuff, as I feel like his main thing is being ahead of the curve and so there’s usually little corroborating or otherwise information, this situation is a bit different.

It seems strange that he has a long running low level feud with The Guardian, he mentions at least twice in the footnotes of his books that they don’t understand his work well enough to criticise it and in return they give his next book an even harsher review. It’s an odd one, where you’d expect both sides to be above it.

Is that the same Nassim Taleb who seems to strongly believe that ouzo/pastis will fight off COVID19?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 20, 2020, 04:11:12 PM »

Is that the same Nassim Taleb who seems to strongly believe that ouzo/pastis will fight off COVID19?

Bazinga!

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 20, 2020, 04:12:16 PM »

It’s a joke:

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1251538096073715728?s=21

Maybe he should of made it more obvious he was joking?

“Strongly believe”?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 20, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »

It’s a joke:

“Strongly believe”?

Although he did make it obvious he’s joking:

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1251817824458285056?s=21
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 20, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »

Bazinga!

Wouldn’t get too excited, he was only kidding.

He wasn’t joking here though:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-policy-scientific-dominic-cummings
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 20, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »

It’s a joke:

“Strongly believe”?

The first time he tweeted it he didn't give any context like that - given tweets get picked up by random people and that a lot of people have died because they believed the rumour that drinking alcohol cures COVID19 - it might not have been the most responsible of jokes to make.

I think he's done some interesting things in the past to do with finance, statistics and risk management, but given he made a big splash by saying many finance analysts don't know what they're talking about and hide behind complexity it's 'interesting' that he's talked so much about how epidemiologists, doctors, infectious disease experts and the WHO also don't know what they're talking about - but he does.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 20, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »

But.. .from that article:

"The modellers use hypotheses/assumptions, which they then feed into models, and use to draw conclusions and make policy recommendations. Critically, they do not produce an error rate. What if these assumptions are wrong?"

Except they did have error rates, and ranges. Things like the R0 wasn't assumed in the model there was a likely R0 plus a higher and lower version. This was true in a number of the factors  in the models used.

"This was the case with the disastrous “herd immunity” thesis. ... Of course, this idea was nothing more than a dressed-up version of the “just do nothing” approach."
The UK isolated and tested everyone coming into the country for COVID19, everybody who tested positive then had their movements traced and everyone they came into contact with was tracked down to repeat the process. Travel advisories and restrictions were put in place, pandemic stores were inventoried and made ready and plans were drawn up for possible restrictions that might be necessary at a future date - that's a novel description of 'just do nothing'.

As discussed before there is no 'herd immunity' thesis - the original government plan was to tackle it in the same way every flu pandemic for the last 100 years was tackled. With travel restrictions and advisories, tracking and tracing and contingency plans for school closures and other restrictions. It was the updated data from Italy that changed the modelling to show this wasn't like those pandemics.

What he says about policy making is a mixture of rant and truth, there is an unknown amount that people will react under certain circumstances but his conclusion is a bit of a leap of faith.

He said with the unknown part in place then we should play it safe - the problem is that with human behaviour being unknown, it is not clear what playing it safe would be.

If we do a complete lockdown earlier - it might save lives by meaning less people get infected, but it might mean that they just get infected later on and it might mean that people just ignore the lockdown after they decide it's gone on too long.

It might mean you require everybody to wear masks, but it might mean that because everybody is wearing masks people bother a lot less about social distancing and hand washing and that actually makes it worse.

You can't criticise a policy for not dealing with the unknown while also advocating a policy which also doesn't deal with the unknown.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 20, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »

It’s a joke:

“Strongly believe”?

The first time he tweeted it he didn't give any context like that - given tweets get picked up by random people and that a lot of people have died because they believed the rumour that drinking alcohol cures COVID19 - it might not have been the most responsible of jokes to make.

I think he's done some interesting things in the past to do with finance, statistics and risk management, but given he made a big splash by saying many finance analysts don't know what they're talking about and hide behind complexity it's 'interesting' that he's talked so much about how epidemiologists, doctors, infectious disease experts and the WHO also don't know what they're talking about - but he does.

That’s part of who he is, undoubtedly an arrogant man (he still recognises awareness of your own shortcomings is vital), he is worth reading though, even (perhaps even especially) on this.

More detail here:
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/04/taleb-the-only-man-who-has-a-clue.html

It’s a bad joke, given the situation and he is a bit nuts (in an excellent way). It seems likely he wouldn’t have realised anyone would think he was serious.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 20, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »

"The modellers use hypotheses/assumptions, which they then feed into models, and use to draw conclusions and make policy recommendations. Critically, they do not produce an error rate. What if these assumptions are wrong?"

Except they did have error rates, and ranges. Things like the R0 wasn't assumed in the model there was a likely R0 plus a higher and lower version. This was true in a number of the factors  in the models used.

"This was the case with the disastrous “herd immunity” thesis. ... Of course, this idea was nothing more than a dressed-up version of the “just do nothing” approach."
The UK isolated and tested everyone coming into the country for COVID19, everybody who tested positive then had their movements traced and everyone they came into contact with was tracked down to repeat the process. Travel advisories and restrictions were put in place, pandemic stores were inventoried and made ready and plans were drawn up for possible restrictions that might be necessary at a future date - that's a novel description of 'just do nothing'.

As discussed before there is no 'herd immunity' thesis - the original government plan was to tackle it in the same way every flu pandemic for the last 100 years was tackled. With travel restrictions and advisories, tracking and tracing and contingency plans for school closures and other restrictions. It was the updated data from Italy that changed the modelling to show this wasn't like those pandemics.

What he says about policy making is a mixture of rant and truth, there is an unknown amount that people will react under certain circumstances but his conclusion is a bit of a leap of faith.

He said with the unknown part in place then we should play it safe - the problem is that with human behaviour being unknown, it is not clear what playing it safe would be.

If we do a complete lockdown earlier - it might save lives by meaning less people get infected, but it might mean that they just get infected later on and it might mean that people just ignore the lockdown after they decide it's gone on too long.

It might mean you require everybody to wear masks, but it might mean that because everybody is wearing masks people bother a lot less about social distancing and hand washing and that actually makes it worse.

You can't criticise a policy for not dealing with the unknown while also advocating a policy which also doesn't deal with the unknown.

I can’t speak for him of course. Having read every book he’s written. I think he’d favour maximum control of the short term, where we can be moderately good at predicting things, while we maximally prepare for the medium/long term where we have almost no idea what will happen and end up guessing or do modelling, based on guesses. Because of this, the immediate unknowns are more important to address than the (distant) future unknowns.

He basically says it...”don’t flatten the curve, crush it”
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 20, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »

I can’t speak for him of course. Having read every book he’s written. I think he’d favour maximum control of the short term, where we can be moderately good at predicting things, while we maximally prepare for the medium/long term where we have almost no idea what will happen and end up guessing or do modelling, based on guesses. Because of this, the immediate unknowns are more important to address than the (distant) future unknowns.

But that's precisely the point - if you absolutely stop an epidemic it means no one is immune to it, so when it re emerges, which it will do, you get an epidemic that was identical to the one you were dealing with to start with.

This is as modelled by the epidemiologists and experts who he dismisses. He has said that they only know about past epidemics but can't model or predict unknown ones because they're new. That's the precise reason why epidemiologists do study past epidemics. Every 'new' disease was a novel virus when it first started, the more information we've had in the past makes it easier to predict how they'll go in the future. These contain uknowns - particularly human behaviour - but he seems to think that it would never occur to an expert in infectious diseases that there's more air travel now then there was in the past (for example), there are quite a few examples in his writing where he seems to think he has discovered an 'important' piece of information that he assumes nobody who actually deals with it their whole life would think of.

I know he's had some dealing with medicine in the past but his approach very much reminds me of this:

Click to see full-size image.

That wasn't the meme I was looking for but it'll do

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 20, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »

But that's precisely the point - if you absolutely stop an epidemic it means no one is immune to it, so when it re emerges, which it will do, you get an epidemic that was identical to the one you were dealing with to start with.

This is as modelled by the epidemiologists and experts who he dismisses. He has said that they only know about past epidemics but can't model or predict unknown ones because they're new. That's the precise reason why epidemiologists do study past epidemics. Every 'new' disease was a novel virus when it first started, the more information we've had in the past makes it easier to predict how they'll go in the future. These contain uknowns - particularly human behaviour - but he seems to think that it would never occur to an expert in infectious diseases that there's more air travel now then there was in the past (for example), there are quite a few examples in his writing where he seems to think he has discovered an 'important' piece of information that he assumes nobody who actually deals with it their whole life would think of.

I know he's had some dealing with medicine in the past but his approach very much reminds me of this:

Click to see full-size image.

That wasn't the meme I was looking for but it'll do

He would reckon that his intelligence transcends topics. It seems to me like he brings something interesting to most discussions, hopefully less ouzo and less bad jokes going forward.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: