blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:07:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272685 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 818 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 826 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2213205 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12315 on: April 01, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »

Eddie Izzard appointed to Labour's NEC, clowns.

I do agree but look at our government, no one could do worse or be worse Theresa May, Phillip Hammond, Boris. No one ever fucked it up this bad ever and it's not close. All the numbers say it's the worst government we've ever had. Maybe give Eddie a go?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: April 01, 2018, 01:37:46 AM »

I do agree but look at our government, no one could do worse or be worse Theresa May, Phillip Hammond, Boris. No one ever fucked it up this bad ever and it's not close. All the numbers say it's the worst government we've ever had. Maybe give Eddie a go?

Seems a bit rash to say the numbers prove it.

What numbers?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: April 01, 2018, 01:42:05 AM »

This comes up when you google the question of whether this is the worst government

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/12/is-this-britains-worst-postwar-government

Might help gain a little perspective.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: April 01, 2018, 02:00:52 AM »

What numbers?

Essentially everything, average wages down every year since 2010, lowest growth projected in top 20 economies, almost no growth outside of richest top 2% since 2010. Most homeless ever as a % most poverty ever as a %. It's just an epic failure of government,
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: April 01, 2018, 02:04:52 AM »

What numbers?

Essentially everything, average wages down every year since 2010, lowest growth projected in top 20 economies, almost no growth outside of richest top 2% since 2010. Most homeless ever as a % most poverty ever as a %. It's just an epic failure of government,

Least police ever, least doctors ever, least environmental regulation since before Thatcher, least FRS ever, just rich and selfish people running the country in to the ground.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: April 01, 2018, 02:07:47 AM »

Try and find a meaningful number that says they're not the worst government we've ever had.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: April 01, 2018, 02:24:46 AM »

Maybe 'in my lifetime' (1978) would be better but the employment thing is flat out crazy, if people were working we'd have productivity, we have almost none. 0 hours contracts means poverty stricken and in lots of cases homeless.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: April 01, 2018, 02:45:36 AM »

This comes up when you google the question of whether this is the worst government

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/12/is-this-britains-worst-postwar-government

Might help gain a little perspective.

Notice they're not putting up numbers. Average wages have fallen every year since 2010, that's incredible, it's never happened before. (might have dipped a little when we all had to dig deep to fight Napoleon)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: April 01, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »

... but the employment thing is flat out crazy, if people were working we'd have productivity, we have almost none. 0 hours contracts means poverty stricken and in lots of cases homeless.

Productivity only has a loose correlation with employment - you can have literally full employment in a Communist system; but the productivity would be on the floor. Obviously a less extreme example is any country with high levels of nationalisation and unionisation. 0 hours contracts is pretty much a red herring - the number of people on them has increased dramatically but it's gone from virtually no one to hardly any one. The proportion of people on zero hours contracts is such a tiny proportion of the population that it's basically irrelevant at the macroeconomic level. Even more so when it's taken into account that some people actually aren't lying when they say they need them.

Maybe 'in my lifetime' (1978) would be better ...

Is much more like it - and is very much a symptom of the general hyperbole surrounding politics. Even though a week is a long time in politics - it does seem to be about the level of time people actually remember when they make statements about how good or bad something is. At least you've got an excuse about actually looking at it 'in your lifetime', a lot of political commentators do it when they really should know better - although of course, everyone has an agenda.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: April 01, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »

What numbers?

Least police ever, least doctors ever, least environmental regulation since before Thatcher, least FRS ever, just rich and selfish people running the country in to the ground.

Police officer numbers hit record low as reported crime rises by 14% in England and Wales - except the article then states that 'record low' means in the last 22 years. This is because of different forms of measurement but in practice it means that it was lower when you go back further.

(just highlighting the time limit on the statement)

And the doctors statement is just wrong; 2014 GMC report stated that numbers had gone up every year since 2010 (The total number of all doctors on the medical register in the UK has risen by 12% since 2010)
and the current GMC totals are higher than 2014.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: April 01, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »

Industry planning jobs cull to offset Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/31/manufacturing-firms-plan-job-cuts-after-brexit?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: April 01, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »

Sincerely hope the great Marina Hyde has switched off her Twitter notifications for the weekend after dropping this...

Corbyn and Blair: are they really so very different?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/30/jeremy-corbyn-tony-blair

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: April 01, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »

Should have thought of the date before I started frothing

sola virtus nobilitat
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: April 01, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »

What Kush omits from his commentary is that the Tory/Lib Dems picked up the position after the worst crash since 1930’’s.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realise it was going to be a tough few years (but let’s ignore a massive shock to the ecenomy and blame the Tories eh?)

You could also argue given Brexit that our economy has been relatively resilient  - according to the vast majority of economist’s forecasts 2 years ago, we should have been in recession, have higher unemployment, higher taxes etc.

Nice to see the Guardian article about culling jobs because of Brexit BTW, those articles were being written 2 years ago and came to nothing.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: April 01, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/uk-inward-investment-is-at-a-record-high-so-why-has-almost-no-one-reported-it/

Good to balance out the “news” from the Guardian.
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 826 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: