blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 01:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 541279 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: February 04, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »

I honestly think 6 at 80 is the best achievement by anyone in this thread all things considered. I just cant fathom how you do that. Absolute hero

I'm quite lucky that I've not really lost any strength in my upper body, and am relatively normal other than pain/spasticity.

The bottom half is another matter completely, and you'll see what I mean when we all meet up  Cheesy

I think people get way to concerned with weight to strength ratio. It clearly makes a difference. But muscle mass is going to move more than fat mass, and muscle potential is still going to be key. I would take me being absolutely stronger (and I'm definitely not strong for me weight class so to speak) than a random guy that doesn't train at 20 stone.

I think having MS and doing that though is just fuckin incredible.

Yeah, that all makes a lot of sense.

I guess that's why he was benching 180 @ 18stone, and I was doing 70 Cheesy

I really am very lucky, because some friends have the same problems in their upper body that I have with my legs, and I wouldn't be able to work if that were the case.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: February 04, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »

Even just with pain; co-ordination, sequencing, proprioception are all going to be harder. Hopefully you can keep all that for as long as possible!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »

Even just with pain; co-ordination, sequencing, proprioception are all going to be harder. Hopefully you can keep all that for as long as possible!

At least until I break 4 plates anyway Grin

mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: February 07, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »

Hi Peeps

All the gyms round my area all seem to offer the full facilities - but I have not come across one where their has been anybody on the weights - people all seem to be on the cycles or running machines.

So it is hard to access which one to join as normally you can speak to people and get a feed back - if anybody knows a good gym in the Herefordshire area please let me know.

Thanks
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 07, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »

Mine was when I realised I was less than 1/2 a stone from hitting 20... Been a lot harder to lose it this time, as I'm a lot more immobile etc.

I'm going to eat whatever I want over xmas, but as soon as I start back in the gym, I'll go back to a stricter routine, rather than mooching about into the year lol.

The mate who is my PT was out at the weekend, and some girl started saying to him he  is getting too big, and to be careful.

His response had me creased 'I'm 17 and a 1/2 stone with abs, so I'm not too worried, but thanks' Cheesy

Great work Marky.  I had another 'my moment' when i got back to virtually 21 stone.  Back under 19 stone now and seem to have found the training/lifestyle balance now to hopefully last long term.  Nearly 3 months in now and going well.  Don't really want to post on here weekly as that never worked in the past.  Trying to do it quietly and get my head down and stay focused.

Still an avid reader of this thread even though i don't post so keep posting everyone.

If you have a 1 rep max meet up session around Stafford or anywhere in the Midlands would love to come along and have a go with some decent spotters.

Current weights for core exercises for 8-10 reps (without a spotter) are just for interest and review at later stage.  Training mon/tues/wed/fri every week.  Diet is pretty high protein and cut down a lot on carbs from previous attempts.  Cut out dairy totally which isn't an issue now.  Only thing i used to eat was too much cheese and not really missing that at all.

Flat bench 75kg now 82.5 now 85 (did one rep max 90kg)
Incline bench 65kg now 75kg now 80
Dumbbell bench 30kg now 34kg now 38kg
Bicep barbell curl 40kg now 47.5kg now 52.5kg
Deadlift 120kg (taken this easy as suffered a lower back issue last year when i tried some 1-2 rep maxs) now 165kg x 4 reps last week.  same
Power cleans 65kg now 70kg now 75kg
Stiff legged deadlift 65kg now 75kg now 90kg
Bend over barbell row 65kg now 80kg now 90kg
Overhead tricep dumbbell presses 24kg dumbbell now 34kg now 38kg
Shoulder dumbbell press 24kg now 28kg now 32kg

Couple of extra exercises i have added in/forgot about including last time

Barbell upright row 45kg now 52.5
Tbar bent over row 60kg now 90kg
One arm bent over row 38kg now 40kg easily (no bigger dumbbells in the gym think i could easily do 50kg tbh on this)
Lying down EZ bar tricep presses 35kg now 42.5
Standing bicep dumbbell curl 20kg now 24kg
Standing bicep hammer  dumbbell curl 18kg now 22kg
Seated bicep dumbbell curl 18kg now 20kg

Update for my own records and anyone who is interested.  Training gone really well last few weeks.  Had some family issues in early Novemeber which was a set back and upset my schedule for a couple of weeks.  Last 5/6 weeks have been great.

Upped the schedule to 5 days a week.  Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat with two rest days.  Still on the same 3 work out schedule so i basically do two of the three workouts twice a week on a 3 week cycle.  The other work out i only do once that week i go super heavy on and try to increase the PB's on this week when those bodyparts are fresh.

Still using Promax lean but added Creatine powder (5g a day) to this last few weeks and noticing an increase in strength.  Diet similar to before no real changes.

Deadlifts are really going well.  They are definitely my fav exercise.  I think i have the 'right' build for deadlifting tbh.  Got over the mental issue of the weight which injured me last year.  Warm up doing set of 20 reps with 120kg to get going.  Did 140kg easily after that for 10 reps then 150kg x 6 and 160 x 3.  So thought 'fuck it' lets try 165kg and got out 2 reps fairly easily tbh.  Going to rest well over xmas and try 170kg first session back for at least 1 rep.

Going to add in barbell behind neck press for shoulders after xmas as well.  Might have to use smith machine as my gym doesn't have a loose bar station for it which is a shame.

Weak area (Chest) is getting better but still frustrating weight wise.  Enjoying the dumbells more than the flat barbell stuff.  

Body Weight is still around 120kg but quite a change in body shape last 2 months.  Lost nearly 2 inches off my waist and trousers are a lot looser around my thighs which is great.

Happy xmas to everyone and enjoy the rest.  Hopefully we can all sort out a training meeting early next year.

Right guys the February update of progress.  Everything been going well.  Had a week off last week because i just felt fucked tbh and my elbows were hurting a bit.  I have really been lifting heavy last few weeks.  My upper back feels so strong its unreal.   I am nearly doing the entire stack on the lat pulldown machine having struggled with half the stack a few months ago.  The bent over t bar rows are just loading weight onto them.  90kg from 60kg is just insane progress

Running close to being out of dumbbells at my gym though.  Going to have to find a new gym at this rate in a couple of months.  Do most mainstream gyms max out dumbbells at 40kg?  I went to D Lloyd in nottingham a couple of weeks ago with a mate and even they had 50kgs.

Body weight gone up slighty but waist lost another inch so everything is good there.  Clothes are looser.  Def put a chunk of muscle on my back i can actually feel the difference when i stretch.  Same with triceps.  Settled at training four times a week now.  Five is too much at my age to recover and really go max each session.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:03:08 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 07, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »

Wanted to post a couple of eso kral style before and after shots but i am glad i don't know how to do it.   Will wait til the change is a bit more drastic and i look more like eddie!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: February 07, 2018, 11:42:09 PM »

Glad it's going so well mate, impressive gains there!

Wanted to post a couple of eso kral style before and after shots but i am glad i don't know how to do it.   Will wait til the change is a bit more drastic and i look more like eddie!

When I was clearing my old desktop, before my new tower arrived. I found some pics from when I started dieting around March 2 years ago, and 2 I took just before Xmas.

Luckily for Blonde I'm in the same boat as you, and don't know how to post them Cheesy

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: February 07, 2018, 11:43:19 PM »

Hi Peeps

All the gyms round my area all seem to offer the full facilities - but I have not come across one where their has been anybody on the weights - people all seem to be on the cycles or running machines.

So it is hard to access which one to join as normally you can speak to people and get a feed back - if anybody knows a good gym in the Herefordshire area please let me know.

Thanks

Only ever been on the piss in Malvern & Hereford, so can't really help on gyms Cheesy

I'd like a gym with nobody else on the weights, as it would mean nobody in the way.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: February 08, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »

Glad it's going so well mate, impressive gains there!

Wanted to post a couple of eso kral style before and after shots but i am glad i don't know how to do it.   Will wait til the change is a bit more drastic and i look more like eddie!

When I was clearing my old desktop, before my new tower arrived. I found some pics from when I started dieting around March 2 years ago, and 2 I took just before Xmas.

Luckily for Blonde I'm in the same boat as you, and don't know how to post them Cheesy

Yes it is amazing how quickly i have got back to reasonably close to 20th century strength levels! I had no idea how long it would take to even get this far.  I have to admit i am surprised at the progress so far so quick.  I was trying to remember roughly my career highs back in 1999 when i peaked strength wise and was playing semi pro basketball.  It is a bit hazy and i have some memories of the glory days back in a proper spit and sawdust gym where Adrian Smith used to train (1990 wsm finalist finished 5th but total naivety on a lot of events cost him countless points and he should have had top 3 finish strength wise) and numerous other national body builders/bouncers/roiders in Kettering!  It was a brutal first gym to train in.  Anyone remember Adrian?  He is still easily the strongest guy i have ever seen train live even 25 years on.    He stripped down once for a novice body building show and looked insane.  The sheer bulk of his strongman physique was incredible on stage next to these newbies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJCGxzTLXCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OolM7It3NCc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Smith_(strongman)

Pretty such i benched 120kg flat.  I def did 55kg dumbbells on flat bench.  One arm dumbbell rows were 55kg.  Bicep curls barbell was 25kg plate on each side of an EZ bar.  i remember that vividly doing that for the first time and actually putting the 25kg plates on each side!

I upright rowed the same 25kg each side.  I never deadlifted back then as far as i am aware.  I can't remember ever deadlifting anyway.  I remember watching Adrian doing it and wondering wtf he was doing and what body part that worked out.  Think he had 7 or 8 plates on each side.  I can't really remember anything else weight wise which is a shame.  Nice to be getting back closer to those levels.  I have no idea if at 43 i will be able to get back to those 24 year old levels.  Will be fun trying.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:20:49 AM by arbboy » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: February 08, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »

Right guys the February update of progress.  Everything been going well.  Had a week off last week because i just felt fucked tbh and my elbows were hurting a bit.  I have really been lifting heavy last few weeks.  My upper back feels so strong its unreal.   I am nearly doing the entire stack on the lat pulldown machine having struggled with half the stack a few months ago.  The bent over t bar rows are just loading weight onto them.  90kg from 60kg is just insane progress

Running close to being out of dumbbells at my gym though.  Going to have to find a new gym at this rate in a couple of months.  Do most mainstream gyms max out dumbbells at 40kg?  I went to D Lloyd in nottingham a couple of weeks ago with a mate and even they had 50kgs.

Body weight gone up slighty but waist lost another inch so everything is good there.  Clothes are looser.  Def put a chunk of muscle on my back i can actually feel the difference when i stretch.  Same with triceps.  Settled at training four times a week now.  Five is too much at my age to recover and really go max each session.

Some solid numbers there and really good progress. I did very similar with my upper back work, went really light for ages then suddenly a huge burst and I'm stacking everything and can feel my back is noticeably bigger. I put it down to something just 'clicking' in to place.

Progress should naturally slow down a bit so you might not need to panic about the dumbbells just yet. There are ways of making it harder for yourself such as doing your DB press last so you're pre-fatigued. I did some last Saturday as a finisher and was struggling with 4 sets of 6 at 30kg.

Think you'll find the progress from 40kg to 50kg would be a lot slower than 30kg to 40kg anyway. It's so tough moving those extra few kgs as you approach more natural limits.

There are ways of making your one arm row more difficult as well. I'll find a link to a youtube video later for you that shows a different way of doing them that is really tough and for me works the lats a lot better. I have to go at least 10kg lighter doing them this way so it may help you get an extra few months out of the 40s.

Insane work on the biceps. You've got me eclipsed there and not far off my all time peak when I was really strong with biceps. Makes it all the more surprising that your bench seems to be lagging, it'll be interesting to see your technique if we manage a meet up at some point.

Have you got an xercise4less near you? They go up to 75kg there so you'd be okay for a while at that I assume.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 08, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »

Body weight gone up slighty but waist lost another inch so everything is good there.  Clothes are looser.  Def put a chunk of muscle on my back i can actually feel the difference when i stretch.  Same with triceps.  Settled at training four times a week now.  Five is too much at my age to recover and really go max each session.

Some solid numbers there and really good progress. I did very similar with my upper back work, went really light for ages then suddenly a huge burst and I'm stacking everything and can feel my back is noticeably bigger. I put it down to something just 'clicking' in to place.

Progress should naturally slow down a bit so you might not need to panic about the dumbbells just yet. There are ways of making it harder for yourself such as doing your DB press last so you're pre-fatigued. I did some last Saturday as a finisher and was struggling with 4 sets of 6 at 30kg.

Think you'll find the progress from 40kg to 50kg would be a lot slower than 30kg to 40kg anyway. It's so tough moving those extra few kgs as you approach more natural limits.

There are ways of making your one arm row more difficult as well. I'll find a link to a youtube video later for you that shows a different way of doing them that is really tough and for me works the lats a lot better. I have to go at least 10kg lighter doing them this way so it may help you get an extra few months out of the 40s.

Insane work on the biceps. You've got me eclipsed there and not far off my all time peak when I was really strong with biceps. Makes it all the more surprising that your bench seems to be lagging, it'll be interesting to see your technique if we manage a meet up at some point.

Have you got an xercise4less near you? They go up to 75kg there so you'd be okay for a while at that I assume.....

Cheers matt.  I don't really want to change gyms as its convenient, cheap and got the full pool, sauna, steam etc which helps for recovery at our age!  Tips to keep the 40kg pushing me are what i was looking for really.  I am going to ask them if they can get some 45kk and 50kg in even if they don't do all the 2kgs inbetween.

My arms have always been strong.  Triceps more than biceps tbh.  I just don't get the bench thing at all its weird.  Looking forward to a meet up for you and the others to work out where my leaks are!

There were a couple of polish guys in the gym the other day training who were proper mini mario's who i never seen before.  One of them was doing 100kg close grip benches for his triceps and pounding the reps out and proper dips with 55kg of plates hanging from his belt.  His tricep work out was a pleasure to watch.  He wasn't even that big probably only 13 stone.  Proper raw polska power.  He was watching me doing back and said 'you play rugby right'?  i said 'no i am just a fat bastard trying to get back into shape'!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:28:03 PM by arbboy » Logged
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: February 08, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »

Echo Matt, some good numbers there. How you enjoying it in general? Whats the average session time?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: February 08, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »

Echo Matt, some good numbers there. How you enjoying it in general? Whats the average session time?

Still loving it tbh.  Got past the usual 4-6 week give up stage and it feels part of the weekly routine now.  Average session is 50-60 mins on the weights then a good stretch in the steam room after.  I steam/sauna and bubbles after every session.  They got a really good hot rub with jets to fire into the muscles you have just worked out if you lie at the right angle.  Decent coldish tub as well.  You need this recovery at my age believe me.  Usually all done in 2 hours.

No injury issues at all which is nice apart from left elbow just a bit sore now and again.  I will take that in mid 40s having not trained for nearly 20 years and banging out these numbers.  I have markedly increased protein consumption though last few weeks and sleeping well.  I always sleep well anyway so that has never been an issue.  I get up every day when i naturally wake up never have an alarm.  Everything is good generally tbh.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:10:49 PM by arbboy » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: February 08, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »

Here's the one arm row video I was talking about:

I've linked to the OAR bit but it's worth watching the whole video, just because he's a roid infused beast of a man doesn't mean he isn't smart when it comes to training.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: February 08, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »

Here's the one arm row video I was talking about:

I've linked to the OAR bit but it's worth watching the whole video, just because he's a roid infused beast of a man doesn't mean he isn't smart when it comes to training.

I pretty much have always trained with his guy's idea about warm up sets.  I am flat out every set pretty much.  I warm up then get to the max weight and do my two/three/four sets at that weight for however many reps i do.   LAst set of the last exercise is often a triple drop set as well just to totally fatigue the area.  it is pretty old school and Dorian Yates style.  That is what i first did when i started training and to get strong i don't think there is any other way.   Just stick to the basics.  The body doesn't change and neither do the absolute basics of getting strong/gaining mass.  Great video btw. He does talk an incredible amount of correct technical sports science stuff on training techniques and exhausting the muscle group in different ways ie changing rest periods not just weight for total volume of training put it.  He is also correct in the fact most people do far too many exercises for the 'himbo' body parts for show and not enough sets for back/legs which needs (and can take) an absolute pounding set/weight wise to fully exhaust it in order for it to keep growing.

Back and triceps is by far and away my fav of my three workouts at the minute.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:34:56 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: