blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Live tourney game at Cincinattis last night
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live tourney game at Cincinattis last night  (Read 4157 times)
Hairydude

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:05:58 AM »

Last night was playing a live tourney game and I got laughed at by pretty much the whole table bar 2 decent players who agreed with me for the way I played this hand. However in hindsight I do kinda think I maybe played it wrong but want to hear other opinions

We are down to the last 6 players and 6 players get paid, however 6th place is getting after a good 5 hour poker game £35 and its a £15+£2 buy in tourney

Blinds are 1k/2k I am second to act with around 27000 chips and to my right UTG has about 1000 chips less than me and has been up and down like a yoyo all final table- it seems as if he is on tilt because I think he just recently lost a big pot- he was sitting around 50k at one point.

Anyway he looks at one card then pronounces "I have looked at one card I am all in", now I look down at my hole cards and see   , if I call and lose i'm down to less than the big blind and pretty much 99% chance i'll finish in 6th for £35, if I call and win i'm sitting about 10k above the average and probably 3rd or maybe even joint 2nd in chips and have a good run to win it

Whats your play- i'll post what I done later

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:20:34 AM »

I am all in.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TheGreenOne

You Gotta Speculate to Accumulate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »

If I had no info on the player or any other factors of the way the table had been playing then it's gotta be a fold everytime for me. Having said that, if you're over 90% confident he's tilting then i'd speculate to accumulate and make the call. You're gonna be unlucky to see much bigger than what you're holding 6 handed I reckon.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »

He only looked at 1 card, how can you pass?

this.life.my.cage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:10:16 PM »

fold everytime
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »

If you're sure he only looked at one card, beat him in the pot with your chips.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 12:28:51 PM »

fold everytime

can you explain your reasoning behind the fold? I'm interested to read it.

I cant ever see myself folding here, the chances of a big hand behind you are slim, the guy has only looked at one card, the other is a completely random card, it can be literally anything! Even if the one card he looked is an ace, theres 3 aces that beat you, one that is tied, and 9 that you beat! You are about 9/4 to double up! its gonna be slightly less then that because of chops etc, but I think the figure is gonna be around 65% which is around 2/1.  If the one card he looked at is a King, theres 2 "kickers" that beat you, 11 that you lose to. Same with a Queen.

It makes no real sense to me to fold, as you cant expect to find much better spots for your stack! Sure, you might lose, and it sucks to lose your chips, but  you need to get chips to win, this is prolly the best chance you are gonna get (because hand values are relative to that of your potential opponent, and AJ suited vs a one-card-blind hand has a real good chance of winning, even though AJ by itself isn't a particularly stunning hand!)

WonderHorse

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 12:31:40 PM »

If you think he is tilting and can be relatively sure he has only looked at one card I would call, totalise summed it up perfectly.

There are definently worse spots to put your money in.
this.life.my.cage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 12:33:26 PM »

im not in the blinds and have at least 10 bb's left after this hand. Personally im waiting for a better spot to get my chips in, i dont know i would just prefer to get my chips in first in situations like this
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 12:39:55 PM »

im not in the blinds and have at least 10 bb's left after this hand. Personally im waiting for a better spot to get my chips in, i dont know i would just prefer to get my chips in first in situations like this

in situations like what? the guy has moved in only looking at one card, these situations almost never arise, you should, in my humble opinion, be looking to take advantage.

If the guy had looked at both cards, and wasn't discernibly tilting, then I would agree with you about first in vig etc, and agree  that folding is  (likely)  the best play, but that isn't the case right here, in this specific hand

each to his own and all that

this.life.my.cage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 12:43:33 PM »

i understand many people will call, and maybe that is the correct play. But in this situation my first instinct would be to fold
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

time to reply- I thought the majority would tell me to beat him into the pot- thats why I didnt want to state what I done as I was looking for constructive criticism and an objective viewpoint- (as opposed to the mumbles of "mug" etc I heard last night at the table)

Anyway I decided to fold and wait for a better situation to arise, my reasoning behind this is below:-

A) I had another 4 players behind me still to act- 2 of the large stacks were aggressive and good players- I honestly think if either of them had any pair 8's or above then they would call with getting 2-1 their money and chance to knock out 2 players and set them up for winning the whole thing

B) The money was a factor- I simply didnt want to walk away with only £35 after playing so long (I know this is a very bad reason and probably goes against most principles in poker) but I was confident I could get down to 3 handed- which was only £85 btw, but then I knew if I could get to 3 handed it really was anybodys game- the reason I thought I could make it to 3 handed was this guy was making quite a lot of plays and I felt one of the big stacks would knock him out sooner or later and there were 2 short stacks I felt would be knocked out soon

C) Other players at the table stated he must have an ace so its an instacall-I didnt think so- I felt that this player was too cunning to simply see one ace and go all in-he is a decent player normally regardless of last nights play and he knows any big ace would call usually- it seemed to me he wanted to gamble and would more than likely have 2 live cards- at that point I thought this would mean a 60/40 shot- I have checked cardplayer and it is actually 65/35- I just didnt want to put my tournament life on the line with this sort of gamble-albeit in my favour where (I thought) I would win 6 times out of 10

I have since done quite a few simulations on cardplayer and I realise I may have been wrong to fold:

Although I didint think he had an ace-

against any ace or jack with a lower kicker I am 70/20 with a 10% split

against 2 random cards(not ace or jack) I am between 60/40 and 68/32

against any pocket pair below jacks I am 48/52

so everything points to me calling- incidentally I was correct about him making the play with no ace- I was just unfortunate that the one card that he did see before deciding to go all in was in fact a   with even more unfortune his kicker was  Two Clubs so I would have been 77/21 favourite with a 2% split- could have easily been   Two Clubs and would have been 68/32 which is still an instant call
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:15:22 PM by Hairydude » Logged

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »

Can i ask what edge you need before you commit your stack?

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:12 PM »

If you were certain beyond all doubt that hed only looked at one card you simply have to call in my opnion.

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:51 PM »

Last night was playing a live tourney game and I got laughed at by pretty much the whole table bar 2 decent players who agreed with me for the way I played this hand.

the 2 decent players thought you should have folded? wow

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: