blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:35:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hotel Rwanda
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hotel Rwanda  (Read 2406 times)
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2007, 05:48:30 AM »

Has anyone else watched this?

I just watched it and it left me feeling sick thinking what the human race does to itself. How do these crimes still get carried out and how do the governments of the west stand by and let it happen.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:24:42 AM »

Watch Shooting Dogs. also about the atrocities in Rwanda starring John  Hurt. true story , also very disturbing

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:09:11 AM »

Watch Shooting Dogs. also about the atrocities in Rwanda starring John  Hurt. true story , also very disturbing

Cheers will hunt it down.

I just watched a documentary about the rise and fall of the Miami drug trade, brilliant stuff, crazy how much those guys made!

the-oneeye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 08:59:36 AM »

I served in bosnia and see it for yourself, then u know what disturbing is
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:49:38 AM »

ive seen it

shocking stuff

only because its very very real

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »

Unfortunately these type of atrocities are too common an occurence, especially in some of the poorest areas of the world.

it is only with the making of such great films, Hotel Rwanda, shooting dogs, The killing fields etc. does Joe public get any idea of the real butchery and savagery that happens between fellow humans.

I, unfortunately have seen this first hand, having formerly been an Infantryman. What has changed in the recent years is the media coverage of some of these conflicts, the last Iraq war (though technically a few of us would say the war is still ongoing) is a good example.

Joe public sat in their sitting rooms as the real horror of these campaigns was beamed live to their TV sets. This, IMHO, helped create the huge anit-war response within UK and USA simply because everyday Joe could see and be appalled by the destruction they were witnessing.

Prior to this you would only have the voices of the groups who had been campaigning against wars, nuclear weapons etc and Joe went about his business as usual with the usual daily news update (and that with only the info the governments wanted to release.)

It is only through the hard work of war correspondents and TV stations that the true reality of war has been brought to so many now, and long may it continue. the more that these images can be shown throughout the world, the more people will voice their opinions against wars and the more the governments will have to listen.

I believe we were just short of forcing Mr Blair from going to war in Iraq this time, however, going forward and with the increased ability for the media to be "on the spot" It will be harder for future PM's to cede to the powers of the USA and say,"No, my people think it's wrong, I think it's wrong and therefore I will not join you this time."

I know that there are other considerations that the PM has such as trade andkeeping he US on our side, however I do believe that the greater the media coverage, the more the public will speak out and force government's to re-think their strategies.

One thing I would always ask though, is that we support our troops whenever they are given these tasks. They are only following orders (and this does not condone those servicemen/women who stray outside the rules of conflict.) A lot of these guys and gals are as opposed to some of the things we get involved in and on occasion refuse to serve, at great cost to themselves and their families.

Recognise that a poker forum may not be the best place to post these views, however the more pressure we put on our "leaders" the better.

Geo.

“If language is not correct, then what is said is not what is meant;
if what is said is not what is meant, then what ought to be done remains undone.”
                                                                                                                                                                           Confucius

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
MKKfish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »

Not having a pop a you James but it saddens me that often we have to wait until Hollywood have got in on the act..then we get a lot of "OMG..man's inhumanity to man" hand wringing.

It's happeneing today - all over the place. Google 'Darfur'.

BTW You ever gonna use that friggin pilots licence?
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »

Has anyone else watched this?

I just watched it and it left me feeling sick thinking what the human race does to itself. How do these crimes still get carried out and how do the governments of the west stand by and let it happen.

I saw this for the first time last month and felt ill afterwards.

If you read about about the massacres on wikipedia it's even worse than the film shows. The level of organisation and the widespread acceptance of it by the Hutu's from their leaders is truly sickening.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »

Not having a pop a you James but it saddens me that often we have to wait until Hollywood have got in on the act..then we get a lot of "OMG..man's inhumanity to man" hand wringing.

It's happeneing today - all over the place. Google 'Darfur'.

BTW You ever gonna use that friggin pilots licence?

Obviously i don't need hollywood to tell me! I just happened to have just watched the film so felt the desire to post about it.

Not that its a bad thing though, the more awareness that is raised about these atrocities the better.

As for the pilots licence, lol no idea, sometime soon!

the-oneeye

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 11:54:27 PM »

unfortunately alot of government policy is not to intervene unless absolutley in that governments interest to do so. The films made of these atrosities do highlight what is going on because people want to have a look for themselves. Hotel rwanda was a very well made film and underlined the bigotry involved. as did films on vietnam, bosniaand serbia, granada and many others. take alot of peoples word  for it it is worse that depicted on film, just this weekend 3 british and 24 american service people have lost there lives standing up for the people that cause these atrocities, but when the west do them, they are not atrocities.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 12:00:04 AM »

I've not seen this film but, like oneeye, my husband served in Bosnia (before we met).  Some of the stories he has told me about things he witnessed have had me in tears and unable to sleep for days - I can't imagine what it must be like to see these things first hand.  It is truely shocking what human beings can do to each other.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
MKKfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 12:40:01 AM »

lol oneeye - that conflict in Granada musta been something to see...bingo grannies with dabbers at 10 paces.
the-oneeye

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »

the worse thing about granada is that i was on a week off and i got called back so the americans could invade it. didnt u see heart break ridge
MKKfish

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:34:12 AM »

Gr E nada

Senility's a bugger ain't it.... 
MadYank
Rezident Farang (Yank Flavour)

Sawat Di Khrap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:48:25 AM »

This thread is disapointing on several levels.
I originally read the title as "Hold Rwanda" vice "Hotel Rwanda"

1st: I was hoping for this being Flushy shouting "HOLD RWANDA!" at the top of his lungs during a poker hand.

2nd: I thought I was going to learn a new hand name RWANDA = XX

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: